DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023, D: Sandberg) - News, rumors (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/647312-shazam-fury-gods-2023-d-sandberg-news-rumors.html)

dex14 04-08-19 06:18 PM

Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023, D: Sandberg) - News, rumors

“Shazam!” screenplay writer Henry Gayden has been tapped to write the DC superhero movie’s sequel for DC and New Line, an individual with knowledge of the situation told TheWrap. The filmmaking team of David F. Sandberg and Peter Safran are also expected to return.

The writer has a busy slate as he is also adapting “Last Human,” a live-action science fiction film from Phil Lord and Christopher Miller based on the forthcoming novel of the same name by Lee Bacon, which Sony/TriStar have won in a bidding war. The film is described as a “reverse ET” and tells the story of an artificial intelligence society where three robots discover a human child.

“Shazam!” was the #1 film worldwide this weekend, over-performing expectations with a domestic cume of $56.8 million (inclusive of $3.3m in previews) and $102.3 internationally for a worldwide figure of $159.1 million on a relatively modest budget for a superhero film. New Line’s “Shazam!” is the third hit in a row for Warner Bros. & DC after “Wonder Woman” and “Aquaman.” The crowd-pleasing “Shazam!” earned an ‘A’ Cinemascore with audiences and a stellar 92% certified fresh Rotten Tomatoes score.

“Shazam!” follows the teen-aged Billy (Asher Angel) after he is chosen as the vessel of Shazam (Zachary Levi), an ancient wizard with extraordinary powers. But Shazam probably didn’t count on Billy reacting to becoming a super-powered adult the way most middle- school boys would: by buying beer, goofing around with his excited foster brother, and going to a real estate office to find a super-cool hero lair that would blow Superman’s Fortress of Solitude out of the water. But Billy isn’t the only one that has encountered Shazam. Many years earlier, another boy named Thaddeus Sivana came face-to-face with the wizard but was not chosen as his champion. Now, as a billionaire industrialist, Sivana (Mark Strong) wishes to acquire the magic Shazam has mastered for himself… and only Billy can stop him.

“Shazam!” is directed by David F. Sandberg and also stars Jack Dylan Grazer, Michelle Borth and Djimon Hounsou.

Gayden’s credits also include “Earth to Echo.”

Gayden is repped by UTA and Kaplan Perrone.
https://www.thewrap.com/henry-gayden-shazam-sequel/

mwbmis 04-08-19 06:25 PM

re: Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023, D: Sandberg) - News, rumors

I know a sequel is inevitable, but while watching this I thought it worked better as a one off. The kids will get older and the joy of playing with the new powers won't be there.

Abob Teff 04-08-19 07:31 PM

Sha2am!

Shazam!!

Shazam 2: Sha Zammer

Shazampire Strikes Back

Shannon Nutt 04-09-19 06:08 AM

Is Black Adam coming before the Shazam! sequel?

dex14 04-09-19 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13530207)
Is Black Adam coming before the Shazam! sequel?

The Rock just said Black Adam starts filming in about a year, so it seems that way.

The Antipodean 04-10-19 12:20 AM

Rock or no Rock I’ve never seen the need for a stand-alone Black Adam film. Way better to have him just be the villain in Shazam 2 instead.

Shannon Nutt 04-10-19 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Antipodean (Post 13530743)
Rock or no Rock I’ve never seen the need for a stand-alone Black Adam film. Way better to have him just be the villain in Shazam 2 instead.

The Rock will never say it, but I think he didn't want to be upstaged by Shazam (Levi), which is why he wasn't part of the origin movie at all. But I think they're risking a lot waiting until probably Shazam 3 before these two characters share a film. It reminds me of how the DC Universe films kept teasing Darkseid and what happened? They never got around to showing him because the films never lived up to their expectations, and now DC is taking a different approach.

TheMovieman 06-16-19 10:48 AM

The actor said scriptwriting for the sequel has already begun and expects to start filming either in late spring or early summer next year.
https://apnews.com/1f4d4433929d499599238896df2912b8

brayzie 06-16-19 12:08 PM

I think it’s weird that they’re making a Black Adam film first instead instead of just having him be in Shazam! 2. I guess Mr. Mind is going to be the next villain? If so, that kind of fits with the quirky fun approach they have going on.
Now that I think about it, a Black Adm stand alone sounds better. Hopefully it takes place in ancient Egypt and shows his origin and him being a hero at first.

Why So Blu? 06-16-19 03:29 PM

The actor said scriptwriting for the sequel has already begun and expects to start filming either in late spring or early summer next year.

See, and here's a perfect example of waiting years for the next film of this series. We won't be seeing Shazam 2 for at least 5 years from now at this rate if they're doing Black Adam first. People are going to forget and not give a shit in 5 years. I guess WW84 will have to do for 2019 and then Black Adamn in 2020?

majorjoe23 06-16-19 03:36 PM

If they’re filming next year it doesn’t seem like it would be a five year wait.

Why So Blu? 06-16-19 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 13566026)
If they’re filming next year it doesn’t seem like it would be a five year wait.

Yeah, I was thrown off a bit. I thought it said Black Adam was being filmed next year and then Shazam 2 later on after. It was my reading fail.

majorjoe23 06-16-19 07:02 PM

They should make like Robert Rodriguez on Spy Kids with these and crank out movies before the kids get too old.

TheMovieman 06-16-19 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 13566089)
They should make like Robert Rodriguez on Spy Kids with these and crank out movies before the kids get too old.

In theory, maybe but I'd rather have a solid script. Those Spy Kid sequels, the third especially, were awful.

dex14 12-12-19 12:53 PM

New Line’s DC Shazam! 2 will open on April 1, 2022 taking the place of an RSVP that the studio had for an untitled WB Event Film.
https://deadline.com/2019/12/shazam-...es-1202807958/

So this will come out after Black Adam.

fujishig 12-12-19 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by brayzie (Post 13565966)
I think it’s weird that they’re making a Black Adam film first instead instead of just having him be in Shazam! 2. I guess Mr. Mind is going to be the next villain? If so, that kind of fits with the quirky fun approach they have going on.
Now that I think about it, a Black Adm stand alone sounds better. Hopefully it takes place in ancient Egypt and shows his origin and him being a hero at first.

I dunno, I think Black Adam has enough personality and a backstory to be able to make a separate movie about him before he interacts with Billy.

Mike86 12-12-19 02:22 PM

The first is one of the more enjoyable DC films recently so I’m looking forward to the sequel.

Michael Corvin 12-12-19 03:06 PM

Cool. I was wondering where Shazam 2 stood after the Black Adam announcement. I thought the S2 script was nearing completion? (or was rumored to be by the end of the year) I wonder if there will be major rewrites to incorporate Black Adam into S2.

brayzie 12-12-19 03:57 PM

Billy’s going to be an adult by the time of Shazam 2.

TheMovieman 12-12-19 04:59 PM

Asher Angel was 16 when the first one was filmed but looked younger, so by the time the sequel comes out (he'll probably be around 20 when this one starts filming), he'll still be able to pass as a HS senior unless they de-age him like the "Losers" for IT: Chapter Two.

TheMovieman 02-12-20 11:12 AM

EXCLUSIVE: DC’S ‘SHAZAM!’ SEQUEL PLOTTING JULY 2020 FILMING START

Exclusive: DC is making progress on the ‘Shazam’ sequel, as I’ve learned that filming is currently set to get underway this July.

David Sandberg is returning to direct after the first film made $300 million at the world wide box office, roughly 3.6x more than its budget. Zachary Levi and Asher Angel will also reprise their roles of Shazam and Billy Batson, respectively.

Angel revealed back in January that production would start shortly. “I think we start filming really soon, so I’m super excited,” he told ET Live.

Meanwhile, ‘Black Adam,’ a spin-off about Shazam’s arch nemesis, and starring Dwayne Johnson as the titular character, will join ‘Shazam! 2’ in filming this July. This DC outing will hit theaters on December 22, 2021.

‘Shazam! 2’ will release on April 1, 2022.
https://thegww.com/exclusive-dcs-sha...filming-start/

dex14 04-20-20 12:47 PM

Shazam 2! which was dated on April 1, 2022 now goes on Nov. 4 of that year.
https://deadline.com/2020/04/the-bat...us-1202912605/

milo bloom 04-20-20 02:28 PM

We really enjoyed the first one a few weeks ago. I realize Asher will be a few years older, but I think there's still enough family trauma for Billy to draw on to keep the story interesting.

fujishig 04-20-20 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman (Post 13654599)
Asher Angel was 16 when the first one was filmed but looked younger, so by the time the sequel comes out (he'll probably be around 20 when this one starts filming), he'll still be able to pass as a HS senior unless they de-age him like the "Losers" for IT: Chapter Two.

It's the other kids, especially the younger ones, who may look a lot different, if they're keeping the Shazam family in this.

DJariya 08-22-20 06:53 PM

They just revealed the title.

and I’m not sure if they were joking, but Sinbad was in the panel and they hinted he’s in the movie too.