Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It Was 20 Years Ago Today... (1999 Nostalgia)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

It Was 20 Years Ago Today... (1999 Nostalgia)

Old 06-26-19, 11:19 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: It Was 20 Years Ago Today... (1999 Nostalgia)

Originally Posted by Mabuse

Getting cuckolded while you watch the Phantom Menace for the first time is like one of those evil traps from Saw. Maybe worse.
This is so sad, true, and harsh.

I can't even imagine waiting to see something you love, only to get turned down, and have to deal with the distraction of her making out with your rival. That must have been torture. At least the movie wasn't great so not like you missed out on a great experience.
Old 06-27-19, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

As much as I love Roger Ebert, and disliked Big Daddy, Ebert's review has always stuck with me as an example of the many times he clearly wasn't paying attention to the movie.

Originally Posted by Rober Ebert
"Man, this Yoo-Hoo is good!" the adult tells the tyke. "You know what else is good? Smoking dope!" On the way down in the elevator after the "Big Daddy" screening, a fellow critic speculated that the line about weed was intended not as a suggestion, but as a feeler: The hero was subtly trying to find out if the kid and his friends were into drugs. I submit that so few 5-year-old are into drugs that it's not a problem, and that some older kids in the audience will not interpret the line as a subtle feeler.
It was clearly set up before-hand Sandler's character was afraid the young boy was smoking marijauna, and worried that his classmates might be bad influences decided to play a narc and see if any of the young kids were using. Don't know why Roger needed a fellow critic to explain it to him.

Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
I submit that so few 5-year-old are into drugs that it's not a problem
Yeah, that was the joke.

As for Roger being worried that older kids will interpret the line as a suggestion that smoking dope is great... Yeah, I guess. I personally don't smoke dope, but according to the people I know who do it's pretty great.

And finally, he took shitty notes, because Sandler's character doesn't say it to "the tyke". He says it to the tyke's classmates. But since Roger didn't even understand this simple scene, it guess that makes no difference.

And while looking for that clip, I came across this one, where at the 11 second mark Sandler's character advises a young man to stay away from alcohol. A positive message.

Old 06-29-19, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

June 30, 1999
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
Wild Wild West

I was so hyped for the South Park movie, had no idea what to expect since the trailers gave away nothing at all. My mind was blown by It's Easy, M'Kay, then it just kept going. Saw it twice on opening day.

Wild Wild West was a mess.
Old 06-30-19, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
June 30, 1999
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
Wild Wild West

I was so hyped for the South Park movie, had no idea what to expect since the trailers gave away nothing at all. My mind was blown by It's Easy, M'Kay, then it just kept going. Saw it twice on opening day.

Wild Wild West was a mess.
This was the best song:

Old 07-01-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Wow, this 1999 movie thread got dark all of a sudden.
The Phantom Menace will do that ...

I’m a little behind, so ... I had actually convinced my wife to go see Phantom Menace with me. She didn’t care two licks and gave some pretty funny versions of what she thought Star Wars was about.

I cried ... twice. Once when the crash of the John Williams score landed and the words “STAR WARS” hit the screen. I had been waiting my whole life for this. The second time was when it ended and I realized just how bad it really was. As we were walking out, my wife said “Not to rub this in, but what the hell was that?”
Old 07-01-19, 07:32 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

You Don’t Mess With The Zohan was great.
Old 07-08-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Missed one due to the holiday last week

July 2, 1999
Summer of Sam

I still want to see the extended version of this, wonder if it'll ever get released. Sounds like Spike had to cut a bunch out to hit the studio mandate.
Old 07-08-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I saw South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut with my sister and brother-in-law. It was just us and a group of 3-4 young women behind us in the theater and they laughed even louder than we did. For a comedy show that pushed boundaries early on South Park the movie definitely ratcheted it up to 11 -- Uncle F**ka, Saddam's penis, etc.
Old 07-08-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

July 2, 1999
Summer of Sam

I still want to see the extended version of this, wonder if it'll ever get released. Sounds like Spike had to cut a bunch out to hit the studio mandate.
Perhaps my favourite movie of 1999, but without a doubt my favourite movie of the summer of 1999.

I totally related to the story. Until that time, I'd lived my whole life in St. Catharines, Ontario, during the Bernardo/Holmolka killings. Before they were caught, I remember people's endless speculations, and paranoia. The police had identified a certain make of car being involved, so anytime someone saw a Camero they got suspicious. The police actually set up a program where you could go in and get a little sticker for your Camero that basically said "Not the killer, you don't have to report me". While life went on, there was always this dark presence hanging over everything. Summer of Sam captured that feeling for me perfectly.

And perhaps more importantly, the movie is so goddam entertaining. Music, sex, vulgarity. Lots of comedy. Many disturbing set-pieces like the scene where the killer is stalking victims scored to a baseball game.

I can't think of any two movies other than this and Do The Right Thing that capture the feeling of the summertime better. SOS hits all the nuances of summer weather; the muggy afternoons, the occasional cool twilight.

Also contains Spike Lee's finest cameo. His John Jefferies' "A Darker Perspective" satire of man-on-the-street interviews is priceless.
Old 07-09-19, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

July 9, 1999
American Pie
Arlington Road

AP defined what comedy would be for the next 5 years, till Apatow would shake things up. I enjoy it, but some of the sexual stuff doesn't age well. I remember Arlington Road being a decent movie with a great ending. Never rewatched it, may have to pop it on again someday.
Old 07-09-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

July 2, 1999
Summer of Sam

My favorite Spike Lee film, and in my opinion the best movie of 1999. I still remember my dad taking me to see it on a Saturday night. He was in his mid 30's living in Queens at that time and it brought back all sorts of memories, good and bad. Wild times i'm sure. I was lucky enough to meet John Leguizamo at NYCC a few years back and got him to sign a movie poster
Old 07-09-19, 11:26 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Perhaps my favourite movie of 1999, but without a doubt my favourite movie of the summer of 1999.

I totally related to the story. Until that time, I'd lived my whole life in St. Catharines, Ontario, during the Bernardo/Holmolka killings. Before they were caught, I remember people's endless speculations, and paranoia. The police had identified a certain make of car being involved, so anytime someone saw a Camero they got suspicious. The police actually set up a program where you could go in and get a little sticker for your Camero that basically said "Not the killer, you don't have to report me". While life went on, there was always this dark presence hanging over everything. Summer of Sam captured that feeling for me perfectly.

And perhaps more importantly, the movie is so goddam entertaining. Music, sex, vulgarity. Lots of comedy. Many disturbing set-pieces like the scene where the killer is stalking victims scored to a baseball game.

I can't think of any two movies other than this and Do The Right Thing that capture the feeling of the summertime better. SOS hits all the nuances of summer weather; the muggy afternoons, the occasional cool twilight.

Also contains Spike Lee's finest cameo. His John Jefferies' "A Darker Perspective" satire of man-on-the-street interviews is priceless.

Your glowing praise made me go out and rent it from the library last night. I only previously saw it once in 1999. I remember not liking the relationship melodrama involving John Leguizamo’s character. Seeing it twenty years later I stand by that, and can elaborate more. The film’s problem is that the focus of the story is on JL and his relationship with his wife and, additionally, his good friend who has gone punk rock. None of these personal melodramas has anything to do with Son of Sam. The same script could have been shot without the murders and would have changed nothing.

I also disagree about Spike’s cameo. Frequently in film, heck almost always, they hire real news people to play reporters. They do this because reporters have a unique cadance from years of doing the news. It can’t be imitated. Spike does not feel authentic.
Old 07-09-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also disagree about Spike’s cameo. Frequently in film, heck almost always, they hire real news people to play reporters. They do this because reporters have a unique cadance from years of doing the news. It can’t be imitated. Spike does not feel authentic.
Him being a terrible reporter is what makes those appearances so funny. Particularly the interview scene that ends with everyone dunking on him and making him the butt of the joke.

The film’s problem is that the focus of the story is on JL and his relationship with his wife and, additionally, his good friend who has gone punk rock. None of these personal melodramas has anything to do with Son of Sam. The same script could have been shot without the murders and would have changed nothing.

I don't think that's the problem, that's the strength. The movie is not about the Son of Sam killer, it's about those three characters and their reaction to all the various things going on that summer, not just the killings, but the blackout, and the nightclub life, and the punk music scene, and Reggie Jackson... Of course if you took the murders out it would devastate the movie. You'd have to write a new reason for Vinnie to make his failed attempt to be true to his wife, you'd need a new excuse for the mob to attack Richie at the end, you'd need to write a new reason for everyone to be so paranoid.

True, the movie is not without it's flaws. I could do with 20% less characters screaming at each other. The talking dog scene is poorly done and got a bad laugh from the audience each of the three times I saw the movie in theatre.
Old 07-09-19, 01:51 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Yeah the dog is laughable. I’m curious about a longer cut. Was it you that mentioned that? I think the film could actually be helped by being longer. Especially if it means spending more time with other characters. There’s just too much time spent on the JL part of the story.
Old 07-09-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know about a longer cut, but I remember an interview Spike Lee did with Roger Ebert at Cannes. He talked quite a bit about changes made to the movie to get an R-rating from the MPAA. He said the orgy scene in Plato's retreat was zoomed in on to crop out the bodies. He also said they had to use optical dissolves to remove Vinnie thrusting his hips when he was having sex with his wife. This was the same summer of the famous censoring of Eyes Wife Shut orgy, where digital figures were added to block the action. I thought it was odd that the MPAA's main objection to sex scenes seemed to involve how vigorous the thrusting is.

I think we got a glimpse of a lot of deleted scenes during the Teenage Wasteland music video dropped into the middle of the movie. I actually thought that was clever of Spike Lee, "Well, we shot this stuff, we might as well put a second or two of it in the movie."
Old 07-15-19, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

July 14, 1999
The Blair Witch Project
Muppets from Space

I was so hyped for BWP, I remember being creeped out by the website, diving deep into their viral marketing, wondering if this was real or fake. I remember the first time watching this in a dark theater, I just wanted it to end, the sense of dread and the fear of getting lost in the forest is real.

Muppets from Space was fun, simple as that.
Old 07-15-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

I saw BWP on its limited theatrical run around this time in '99, before it went widespread. I remember being bored by the whole thing. I took a pee break at one point, and when I returned I asked my buddy "Did anything happen?" and he said no. The movie ended, and I was "That's it?"

Then at night, I woke up several times, and the finale was stuck in my brain. I was starting to realize the boredom I felt was a result of me feeling the same things as the characters on screen; the frustration of being lost, dealing with an annoying know-it-all who doesn't know a damn thing, and the general clamminess of being in the woods so long. And the reaction to the finale is a delayed response. I equate it to locking your keys in the car, when you realize you're doing it but it's too late for your body to stop closing the door.

Ultimately, I think it's a masterpiece in that you feel the same emotions as the characters on screen, and I truly believe that that is a prime reason for the massive hatred the film has garnered over the years. People like the "rollercoaster ride" you get from most horror flicks, but no one enjoys actually being in a car skidding off the road and overturning. The Blair Witch Project is closer to the latter in that sense, and for a movie to have that kind of effect on a person is something rarely accomplished.
Old 07-15-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

I saw BWP for the first time in a run down old theater on Cape Cod while on vacation (18yo at the time). I never thought it was real but that last scene creeped me out good.
Old 07-15-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did not see BWP in the theater but I'll echo that eerie ending which for me was probably intensified by an experience in the dark and fear of the unknown.
Old 07-15-19, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Ultimately, I think it's a masterpiece in that you feel the same emotions as the characters on screen, and I truly believe that that is a prime reason for the massive hatred the film has garnered over the years. People like the "rollercoaster ride" you get from most horror flicks, but no one enjoys actually being in a car skidding off the road and overturning. The Blair Witch Project is closer to the latter in that sense, and for a movie to have that kind of effect on a person is something rarely accomplished.
I didn’t realize there was massive hatred for the movie, I always got the sense that it was just a bunch of “tough guys” who wanted the world to know they weren’t scared by the BWP.

I think over over the years a lot of the backlash has come from 1. It being the first and most notable “found footage” film when, over the years, that sub-genre was pounded into the ground, dug up, and pounded into the ground again. And 2. Repeat viewings just don’t hold up as much as the initial viewing. The sense of dread and fear and terror that a lot of people felt while watching it for the first time just couldn’t be replicated on repeat viewings because people realized that “nothing happened” in the movie. The first time you watch it, you didn’t know what terror was waiting for them and fears they could be snatched from the woods at any moment. Those feelings from the viewer are greatly diminished on subsequent viewings.

When you talk to people about the BWP, it’s always “The first time I saw it I was terrified/unnerved/creeped out...” etc. no one ever says how freaked out they were the second time they saw it.

I fall in that group. I was quite unnerved the first time I saw it (I’ve always said it does for camping what Jaws did for going to the beach) I think it’s a incredibly effective movie but have no interest in seeing it for a third time.

I also thought Heather Donahue was a very attractive actress and was disappointed that she never quite succeeded past the BWP.
Old 07-15-19, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

The making-of chapter in my 1999 book about this movie is fascinating. They really messed with those actors (though they were given warnings before auditioning that the shoot would be intense). The initial reaction at Sundance (or wherever, I can't remember) was off the charts. Everyone thought it was real footage.
Old 07-15-19, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I think over over the years a lot of the backlash has come from 1. It being the first and most notable “found footage” film when, over the years, that sub-genre was pounded into the ground, dug up, and pounded into the ground again. And 2. Repeat viewings just don’t hold up as much as the initial viewing. The sense of dread and fear and terror that a lot of people felt while watching it for the first time just couldn’t be replicated on repeat viewings because people realized that “nothing happened” in the movie. The first time you watch it, you didn’t know what terror was waiting for them and fears they could be snatched from the woods at any moment. Those feelings from the viewer are greatly diminished on subsequent viewings.
I agree on your second point (for several years, I always finished my Halloween movie marathon with a midnight viewing of BWP, but it never had the same effect as the first time), but strongly disagree on your first. See, "found footage" films didn't really saturate the market till the mid 2000s, a good 5-6 years after BWP. And copycat films NEVER wait that long. I mean, the glut of slasher films came in while Halloween was still on its original theatrical run. I think the genre took off more due to the invention of the iPhone rather than being attempts at ripping off BWP.

There's definite hatred of BWP, even (actually, especially) amongst horror fans. I was at a Fangoria convention around 2000 or 2001, when someone asked William Friedkin if he was offended that people compared a "piece of shit shot-on-video" (literally, those words) to his horror masterpiece The Exorcist. There was a large applause to this. Then Friedkin took the bait and realized the questioner was talking about The Blair Witch Project, at which point he confessed to watching it with his son, and having "the living shit scared out of him" (also literally those words) and they could compare BWP to The Exorcist "any day of the week" as far as he was concerned. There was an even larger applause.

Short answer, there certainly is hatred for the film, and if we continue to discuss it in this thread I'm sure we'll hear from that side before long.
Old 07-16-19, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

July 16, 1999
Eyes Wide Shut
Lake Placid
The Wood

Eyes Wide Shut came along right in the middle of my deep dive into Kubrick obsession. I was mesmerized but way too young to understand all the themes (15 years old).
Lake Placid was an unexpected blast. I feel like this started off the Betty White renaissance.
The Wood is another movie that I remember liking but haven't seen it since it first came out on dvd.
Old 07-16-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lake Placid is a fun little movie, one that I enjoy revisiting for the October Horror Movie Challenges.

"Let's not overlook the fact that he didn't eat me."
"'Cause he just ate a cow, stupid!"

Old 07-16-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

Ahead of its release, I told people it was my personal Phantom Menace, meaning that it was the one movie I had been waiting years to see. Turned out it WAS my personal Phantom Menace -- I was super-disappointed and hated it with a white-hot passion. I know there's been a lot of revisionist history and now many people consider it a pretty good movie in retrospect. I am not one of those people. As far as I'm concerned though it's still a mess that doesn't make much sense and has people behave in a way that is inconsistent with normal human behavior.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.