Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It Was 20 Years Ago Today... (1999 Nostalgia)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

It Was 20 Years Ago Today... (1999 Nostalgia)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: It Was 20 Years Ago Today... (1999 Nostalgia)

I remember working at a bargain theater in 1999 and later a Hollywood Video when a lot of 1999 movies were coming out on VHS and DVD. \

I don't remember a year with more amazing films that came out in the same year.

It was a non-stop cavalcade of interesting movies like Being John Malkovich, The Matrix, Election, Fight Club, The Green Mile, The Iron Giant. They were all gems.

Last edited by PatD; 04-13-19 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-13-19, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
There were some great films from overseas, too, many of which I didn't see until a couple of years later:

- The Girl On The Bridge (France)
- Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (Japan)
- The Road Home (China)
- Memento Mori (S. Korea)
- Nowhere To Hide (S. Korea)
- Shiri (S. Kore
a)
I've got NOWHERE TO HIDE and SHIRI on DVD sitting on a very accessible shelf--and I still haven't seen them!

Looking over my list of films seen in theaters in 1999, I find the most notable ones being Japanese animation and Hong Kong films. Some of these were released earlier in their countries, but all got U.S. theatrical releases in 1999 and I saw them all in theaters that year:

PRINCESS MONONOKE (Hayao Miyazaki)
POKEMON: THE FIRST MOVIE
PERFECT BLUE (Satoshi Kon)
BLACK MASK (Jet Li)
TWIN DRAGONS (Jackie Chan)

Also, one of my favorite GAMERA films, GAMERA III: REVENGE OF IRIS, was released in Japan in 1999 and I first saw it on video that year. I didn't see it theatrically in NYC until 2002.
Old 04-13-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I am not a big fan of 1997 personally but the movies probably blow away 1999.

Titanic
Donnie Brasco
Contact
Air Force One
Gattaca
Devil's Advocate
Face/Off
Jackie Brown
Boogie Nights
Austin Powers International Man of Mystery
Lost World: Jurassic Park (Don't judge)
The Ice Storm
The Game
Wag the Dog
Affliction
Old 04-13-19, 07:44 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Titanic
Donnie Brasco
Contact
Air Force One
Gattaca
Devil's Advocate
Face/Off
Jackie Brown
Boogie Nights
The Ice Storm
The Game
Wag the Dog
Affliction
Don’t forget LA Confidential, Good Will Hunting, As Good As It Gets and Men in Black.
Old 04-13-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Dvdlovr24
Don’t forget LA Confidential, Good Will Hunting, As Good As It Gets and Men in Black.
The Fifth Element, The Sweet Hereafter, Grosse Pointe Blank, The Spanish Prisoner, Good Burger...
Old 04-14-19, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Titanic
Donnie Brasco
Contact
Air Force One
Gattaca
Devil's Advocate
Face/Off
Jackie Brown
Boogie Nights
The Ice Storm
The Game
Wag the Dog
Affliction
All wonderful movies, no argument.

Part of what made 1999 more special was the excitement. Stanley Kubrick's Final Movie!, New Star Wars!. People saw effects they'd never seen before with The Matrix. The Sixth Sense was the biggest "Shhh! Don't spoil the secret" movie since The Crying Game.

It seemed to me like all the great filmmakers were influenced by the Y2K anxiety, and worked hard to put out one last movie under the banner of the 1900's before we switched over to the year 2000.

I'm still blown away to think of all the movies that came out in that single year.

List off the top of my head without googleing

Paul Thomas Amderson made Magolia
Stanley Kubrick made Eyes Wide Shut
Spike Lee did Summer of Sam
Martin Scorcesse made Bringing Out the Dead
Michael Mann made The Insider
Alexander Payne did Election
David Lynch made The Straight Story
David O Russel made Three Kings
those college kids did Blair Witch Project
those documentary people did American Movie
Tim Burton made Sleepy Hollow
Mike Judge made Office Space
George Lucas made a new Star Wars
The Watchowski siblings made The Matrix

Even the bad movies are memorable. 1999 gave us Robin Williams doing a Life is Beautiful clone with Jakob the Liar, and the bizarrely literal, totally unwatchable adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions starring Bruce Willis.

Kevin Smith made a movie that year (Dogma, Arnold Schwartzengger did a movie (End of Days). Steve Martin wrote a movie for Eddie Murphy (Bowfinger). Eddie Murphy made his final R-rated movie (Life)

For me, 1999 was the most magical year of movie-going.

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 04-15-19 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-14-19, 09:58 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It was a very good year, as Sinatra would say.
Old 04-15-19, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Thinking it about some more, was 1999 the last great year for Hollywood actually making a plethora of memorable, compelling films?
Old 04-15-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

They made more comedies back then which they only make 3 a year now
Old 04-15-19, 08:45 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I feel a summer of 1989 thread will be needed too for the 30th anniversary of one of the greatest summer's for movies ever.
It's also the 35th Anniversary of the greatest movie year ever, 1984.

Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Terminator, Beverly Hills Cop, Karate Kid, Nightmare on Elm Street, Indiana Jones & Temple of Doom, Romancing the Stone, Neverending Story, Footloose, Spinal Tap, Red Dawn, Sixteen Candles, Revenge of the Nerds, Bachelor Party, Police Academy, Splash, The Natural, Places in the Heart, Once Upon a Time in America, Killing Fields, Top Secret, Johnny Dangerously, Flamingo Kid, Last Starfighter, Buckaroo Banzai, Friday the 13th Part 4, Firestarter, Blood Simple, Body Double, Night of the Comet, Repo Man, Cloak & Dagger, Children of the Corn, Purple Rain, Dreamscape, Electric Dreams, Breakin', Beat Street, Starman and Bad Manners (aka Growing Pains).
Old 04-15-19, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

They made more comedies back then which they only make the same 3 each year now
Fixed.
Old 04-16-19, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

April 16, 1999
Life
All About My Mother
Goodbye Lover
Friends & Lovers

I can't believe Life was the last R rated Eddie Murphy movie (looks like that will come to an end this year with the Dolemite movie). Was never big on this one, I went in expecting a comedy and remember it leaning more towards drama. Need to revisit it. All About My Mother was really good, Goodbye Lover was decent. Never saw Friends & Lovers, but the box art rings a bell.
Old 04-16-19, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

I haven't seen Life since it was out in theaters and I don't remember those other movies.
Old 04-16-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Terminator, Beverly Hills Cop, Karate Kid, Nightmare on Elm Street, Indiana Jones & Temple of Doom, Romancing the Stone, Neverending Story, Footloose, Spinal Tap, Red Dawn, Sixteen Candles, Revenge of the Nerds, Bachelor Party, Police Academy, Splash, The Natural, Places in the Heart, Once Upon a Time in America, Killing Fields, Top Secret, Johnny Dangerously, Flamingo Kid, Last Starfighter, Buckaroo Banzai, Friday the 13th Part 4, Firestarter, Blood Simple, Body Double, Night of the Comet, Repo Man, Cloak & Dagger, Children of the Corn, Purple Rain, Dreamscape, Electric Dreams, Breakin', Beat Street, Starman and Bad Manners (aka Growing Pains).
You sure took the scenic route to get in that Bad Manners forum in-joke.
Old 04-18-19, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

I do not expect that I will EVER have another theatrical experience like I had with The Matrix. I worked in movie theaters and video stores around this time. In 1999 I worked for Suncoast. Yet somehow, I knew literally NOTHING about this film. I never saw a trailer. Never saw a commercial. Hadn’t read anything. Didn’t know what genre it was. Didn’t know who was in it. Hell, I had never even heard of it. I could not have been any colder or fresher.

A co-worker came in to work and said, “You have to go see this. I am not going to say another word about it until you go see it.” I went one afternoon during the week (I even remember my wife was at her grandma’s with our three small children, including our daughter who was just a few weeks old). My wife asked what I was going to see and I said, “I don’t have a clue. But I was told I had to see it as soon as possible.”

I was riveted to the screen the whole time. I didn’t want to leave when it was done. My mind was blown, my reality was shaken. My eyes hurt. I wanted more.

I went back to work and couldn’t shut up about it. My co-worker finally said, “You need to go here” and gave me a website to visit ... DVDTalk. After lurking for some time, I joined and stared chiming in. I used a coupon code from here to buy The Matrix on DVD. I didn’t even have a DVD player.

Dude! Epic story thanks for sharing
Old 04-18-19, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
American Beauty has seen an unusual evolution. It was a critical darling when it was released, gathered a ton of awards, then over the years people started to turn on it claiming it was overrated and Hollywood’s cynical version of middle America, and now based on the number of times it’s been mentioned in this thread, it seems to be highly regarded again.
And now you replace underage teenage cheerleaders with underage teenage male actors and it becomes a documentary
Old 04-23-19, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

April 23, 1999
Election
Existenz
Lost & Found
Pushing Tin

Big week. Election is a classic, I remember seeing it in theaters and feeling like i'd never seen anything like it. I need to revisit Existenz, haven't seen it since 1999. Lost & Found wasn't good but I always enjoyed Artie Lange, so I probably watched this more than I should've. Pushing Tin had a weird tone with a great cast, very rewatchable.
Old 04-24-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

+ the Greatest Indie film OAT too: Stranger Than Paradise
Old 04-24-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sauce07
April 23, 1999
Election
Existenz
Lost & Found
Pushing Tin

Big week. Election is a classic, I remember seeing it in theaters and feeling like i'd never seen anything like it. I need to revisit Existenz, haven't seen it since 1999. Lost & Found wasn't good but I always enjoyed Artie Lange, so I probably watched this more than I should've. Pushing Tin had a weird tone with a great cast, very rewatchable.

From that list, I will chose Pushing Tin ... I didn’t see it in theaters though. Somewhere down the road, we received a VHS screener. As mentioned before, I was a young parent, we were struggling to get by, and I was working in an industry that had no real future prospects. I was top-ten in my high school class, had the highest ACT score, and was looking at a bright and unlimited future ahead of me ... and then I felt as if I was losing control of everything. I had dropped out of college, thrown away a full ride, and was not “finding my way” in the world.

This film spoke to me and helped me to refocus on my life and my self-identity. It helped me to realize that “I” was not defined by the world around me. For many years afterwards, whenever I felt I was “losing my center” this was one of the films that I would go back to.

I haven’t seen it in many years (I never replaced that VHS screener), so I don’t know how it holds up. Looking back, there have been a number of times that I probably should have found a replacement.

Blast from the past: Pushing Tin thread from 1999 https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-review...ely-sucks.html
Old 04-24-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
April 23, 1999
Election
Existenz
Lost & Found
Pushing Tin

Existenz is about where I gave up on Cronenberg. I remember the movie seeming cheap and amateur, in a way other lower budget movies do not.

Election was heavily advertised before it came out. There was a TV spot I saw dozens of times, the whole Mr. M throwing the milkshake at the car scene. I didn't see it until late in the summer at the $2 house, and I was blown away by how unexpectedly the story unfolded. I laughed harder at Election than any movie I'd seen in years. Still one of my favourite movies today.
Old 04-30-19, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

April 30, 1999
Entrapment
Idle Hands

Entrapment may be the most later 90's/Early 2000's movie there is. I remember moments from the movie (including an iconic career maker for CZJ) but can't recall the plot at all.
Old 04-30-19, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There are only a few things I remember about Entrapment ... and all of them involve Catherine Zeta Jones, black leather, and lasers.
Old 04-30-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Idle Hands was unfortunately timed, as the Colorado high school shooting had just happened. On that day there were some promo screenings and some kids left crying- but I don't remember any shooting in it and always appreciate sick humor. It takes place at Halloween anyways so that's when you should watch it.

I think Entrapment was Fox's last US laserdisc title- a few more came out in Japan afterwards.
Old 05-01-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Idle Hands was unfortunately timed, as the Colorado high school shooting had just happened. On that day there were some promo screenings and some kids left crying- but I don't remember any shooting in it and always appreciate sick humor. It takes place at Halloween anyways so that's when you should watch it.

I think Entrapment was Fox's last US laserdisc title- a few more came out in Japan afterwards.
I'm pretty sure Entrapment was one of the few titles released on the D-VHS format. What a waste of time and money that was.
Old 05-01-19, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aw man, I was working in a major video rental store between 1998-2000, so the movies from this era bring back a lot of memories. I remember them a lot more than movies from other time periods because I had to stare at these covers all the time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.