Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

It Was 20 Years Ago Today... (1999 Nostalgia)

Old 05-04-19, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Re: It Was 20 Years Ago Today... (1999 Nostalgia)

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
I'm pretty sure Entrapment was one of the few titles released on the D-VHS format. What a waste of time and money that was.
There were less than 100 titles on that format, I'm only missing about 9 of them at this point. It WAS the first consumer hi-def format though, its only sin was being on tape rather than disc! There's still a few titles that aren't available on any other HD format.

1999 was when even Tower Records cleared out their laserdiscs, I got tons of them for under $10 each.
Old 05-04-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^^Why would you have nearly all the movies on a dead format?
Old 05-04-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
There is a 6000-post thread for this question and related questions: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...iness-244.html

Old 05-04-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post

Old 05-04-19, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
There is a 6000-post thread for this question and related questions: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...iness-244.html
I know, I've barely read it and only posted it in once or twice so I'm not as invested as many people are here. I could see the point of holding on to some laserdiscs as there is some movies that still haven't been released on other formats, but the D-VHS tapes never took off so there's no need to keep them.
Old 05-05-19, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great year, I couple I haven't seen mentioned:

A Simple Plan
Disney's Tarzan

I was in Art School at the time, studying anatomy and taking life drawing classes - was blown away by Glen Keane's work on Tarzan. A classmate of mine went on to work as an animator at Disney, so seeing him getting to know Glen (and yes, John L) was pretty awesome.
Old 05-05-19, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn, there were quite a few movies from 1999. Here's some movies not mentioned yet:

Magnolia
Galaxy Quest
The Green Mile
Three Kings
Man on the Moon (with Jim Carrey)

Old 05-06-19, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Great year, I couple I haven't seen mentioned:

A Simple Plan
Disney's Tarzan
Originally Posted by PatD View Post
Damn, there were quite a few movies from 1999. Here's some movies not mentioned yet:

Magnolia
Galaxy Quest
The Green Mile
Three Kings
Man on the Moon (with Jim Carrey)
I think the OP is trying to go week by week. And A Simple Plan is late 1998.
This 1999 nostalgia is in full kick now. I am just starting this cool book

It's really good with tons of new interviews with everyone from Fincher and Pitt to Brad Bird to Mike Judge. Highly recommended.
I heard a good podcast with Raftery the other day. I will post it tomorrow
Old 05-06-19, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1999 was a great year for entertainment in general. Lots of great movies and video games were released in 99.
Old 05-06-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hadn't thought of that.

1999 was the first season of Futurama, Law and Order SVU, The Sopranos, Family Guy, The West Wing, and Spongebob Squarepants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_i...can_television
Old 05-06-19, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I heard a good podcast with Raftery the other day. I will post it tomorrow
Here it is. It's a good listen

https://art19.com/shows/the-watch/ep...8-e026fdee5b5c
Old 05-07-19, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

May 7, 1999
The Mummy

I wasn't that excited for this but there wasn't much else coming out so my Mom, Brother and I decided to go see it. We were in shock at the end, we couldn't believe how entertaining it was. Fun flick, would visit again.
Old 05-07-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 05-07-19, 06:15 PM

Laughing at someone just now asking why I collect dead formats- the quality of D-VHS does hold up, and there are a few movies that you canít get elsewhere in HD- plus itís just damn cool seeing that kind of quality come from VHS tape.

The Mummy put me to sleep, havenít watched it since I ran it on 35mm- but I do have it on both D-VHS and HD-DVD so Iíll give it another shot one of these days.
Old 05-08-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No coincidence that 1999 was the year The Sopranos started, and what I consider the slow downfall of movies and the rise of great TV dramas. I firmly believe that was the shift where all of the good storytelling started to go from the big screen to the small screen (HBO and Showtime, AMC, FX were the first era of great TV, and now streaming with Netfix has finally come full circle).
Old 05-08-19, 11:17 PM

Most of the theaters built since then have certainly been half-assed. The company I worked for opened a new theater in the area that year, all top-masked screens with fewer than 200 seats each. I just shook my head.
Old 05-12-19, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember around this time of year, after TPM, a friend was really interesting in seeing The Haunting. Still havenít seen it but heard bad things.
Old 05-12-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
It just seems wrong to me that The Matrix is 20 years old. Two decades should feel longer to me. Guess that's part of getting older.
Yeah, wait until you can remember Four+ decades back and it only feels like 20 years. I remember the 70's well, but that was 40-49 years ago.

Time sucks. It just keeps going and going and going and going - faster and faster and faster... (I just want to slow this damned thing down and enjoy the ride.)
Old 05-12-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Most of the theaters built since then have certainly been half-assed. The company I worked for opened a new theater in the area that year, all top-masked screens with fewer than 200 seats each. I just shook my head.
This. It does seem like there has been a new niche market popping up for quality theaters, but many are still run very poorly. Looking at you AMC. Your picture and sound quality issues have only been improved by technology that has taken the ability to screw it up out of your hands.
Old 05-12-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Yeah, wait until you can remember Four+ decades back and it only feels like 20 years. I remember the 70's well, but that was 40-49 years ago.

Time sucks. It just keeps going and going and going and going - faster and faster and faster... (I just want to slow this damned thing down and enjoy the ride.)
I remember when the Three Stooges were not only alive, but still making movies! One Sunday in 1962, I was supposed to join my siblings to see THE THREE STOOGES MEET HERCULES after church. I went down the block to visit a friend first and we started playing with toy soldiers and I didn't hear my siblings call from the street outside when they showed up to get me. When I went home and found that they'd left without me, I cried. To this day, I don't think I've ever seen THE THREE STOOGES MEET HERCULES. Still waiting for my siblings to take me.
Old 05-13-19, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post

I remember when the Star Wars movies were re-released in 1997 for the 20th anniversary, and they felt like such old movies to me. The original came out the year before I was born, so all I knew was twenty years was longer than I'd been alive. I'm trying to imagine how my father felt going with me to see the 20th anniversary re-release, he must have been like, "Man, feels like I just saw this movie,", just as I now feel about all the '99 movies today.
Old 05-14-19, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I remember when the Three Stooges were not only alive, but still making movies! One Sunday in 1962, I was supposed to join my siblings to see THE THREE STOOGES MEET HERCULES after church. I went down the block to visit a friend first and we started playing with toy soldiers and I didn't hear my siblings call from the street outside when they showed up to get me. When I went home and found that they'd left without me, I cried. To this day, I don't think I've ever seen THE THREE STOOGES MEET HERCULES. Still waiting for my siblings to take me.
That's a really sad story.

Speaking of time I have a real soft spot for movies that depict the passage of time and one of those is my personal favorite (despite the cheese) and also released in 1999 Bicentennial Man. The movie is just so bitter sweet and the moment that really hits me is one of the daughter's wedding day and Sam Neil is watching the play back and suddenly gets overwhelmed with emotion with the realization that they aren't his little girls anymore. It resonated with me back then as an 18 year old and it resonates with me even more now 20 years later and with two young daughters of my own. It also has a great soundtrack by James Horner and of course with both him and Robin Williams gone makes it even more emotional to watch.
Old 05-14-19, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

May 14, 1999
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Light week, the calm before the storm.
Old 05-19-19, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

May 19, 1999
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
Old 05-20-19, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
May 19, 1999
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
That's a huge one. I remember lining up 2 hours before show time at Downtown Disney in Orlando.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.