Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

It Was 20 Years Ago Today... (1999 Nostalgia)

Old 09-04-19, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Re: It Was 20 Years Ago Today... (1999 Nostalgia)

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
I saw 13th Warrior at the first matinee on opening day and was amazed at how pristine the film print was. Seems like it only took a couple screenings before scratches and dust marks start showing up, so I don't think I'd ever seen a movie projected so cleanly before. That's all I remember about the movie lol
The first thing I learned in projection was how important it is to keep the prints looking perfect for as long as they play! Scratches are only caused by improper threading, which I learned how to check for. A print could be trashed on its first day playing if done wrong, or it could play for a year and still be perfect if done right.

Remembering "Mystery Men" was the last movie to end that summer at my theater, playing "All Star" at the end on Monday night and going back to late openings during the week on Tuesday. The next summer would be my last at that theater, and then one more at Regal before calling it quits.

I read that Eric Brown from "Private Lessons" appeared as a teacher in Outside Providence, but I didn't recognize him and was too late to go back and check when I found out.
Old 09-11-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

September 10, 1999
Love Stinks
Stigmata
Stir of Echoes

Wow, French Stewart headlined a theatrical movie. I remember seeing this on video, it stunk. Stigmata and Stir of Echoes both came on the heels of Sixth Sense, both were really good.
Old 09-11-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Love Stinks may have stunk but Bridgette Wilson was nice on the eyes.
Old 09-11-19, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Love Stinks was one of those "why the hell are we playing THIS?" movies. Quality was on par with something made for TV. I had thought it came out earlier in the summer though.
Old 09-12-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey, we can add Love Stinks to my thread about movie titles based on song titles!
Old 09-12-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Love Stinks was one of those "why the hell are we playing THIS?" movies. Quality was on par with something made for TV. I had thought it came out earlier in the summer though.
It's funny that you mention that it's on par with something made for TV, if you look it up on IMDB, it says it's rated TV-14
Old 09-13-19, 09:09 PM
RIP

In 1999, I was doing the county fair circuit. I was also still alive.
Old 09-16-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

September 15, 1999
American Beauty

Well...this movie won best picture at the Academy Awards and there's nothing else to say about it.

In reality, I always loved this movie. but time has not been kind to it publicly. Besides the Kevin Spacey element, lots of aspects of this movie have been ridiculed and torn apart, turning to parody and eye rolling. I haven't seen it in over a decade, I think I need to re-watch it and see how I feel it holds up.
Old 09-16-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-16-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't like American Beauty when I saw it upon release. At this point, I couldn't tell you why, and I haven't revisited it to see if anything has changed.
Old 09-18-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

September 17, 1999
Blue Streak
Breakfast of Champions
For Love of the Game

Blue Streak was a fun comedy, nothing too memorable. For Love of the Game was a decent baseball romantic drama, Costner always does great in these roles. Breakfast of Champions was poorly received and wasn't seen by many.
Old 09-18-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This scene from Blue Streak still cracks me up for some reason.

Old 09-18-19, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For Love of the Game is an underrated baseball movie.
Old 09-19-19, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Yeah. I actually saw it in the theater. It was Sam Rami’s first stab at a non-cult film. I remember the photography of the baseball game itself being stunning. Really bold colors and creative camera movements. Little touches of Evil Dead and an indication of how he would approach Spider Man.

I just watched the trailer. John C Reilly was in this. Totally forgot about him. I definitely remember enjoying the framing story of Costner pitching a no-hitter over the flashback story.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-19-19 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-19-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I definitely remember enjoying the framing story of Costner pitching a no-hitter over the flashback story.
Done MUCH better here than in Ang Leeís more recent Billy Lynnís Long Halftime Walk.
Old 09-19-19, 05:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Probably already mentioned but I remember everyone falling for the Blair Witch Project hype - I loved it and got caught up in it myself.
I think it was a terrific movie at the time of its release. Very well done on a very low budget.

And quite chilling as a "found footage" genre piece.
Old 09-19-19, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah. I actually saw it in the theater. It was Sam Ramiís first stab at a non-cult film. I remember the photography of the baseball game itself being stunning. Really bold colors and creative camera movements. Little touches of Evil Dead and an indication of how he would approach Spider Man.

I just watched the trailer. John C Reilly was in this. Totally forgot about him. I definitely remember enjoying the framing story of Costner pitching a no-hitter over the flashback story.

https://youtu.be/IDMm5ZqjCgc
I actually didn't realize it was a Rami film, thought it was Ron Shelton who did Bell Durham and Tin Cup with Costner.

But Rami's first stab at a legitimate mainstream film was one year earlier (and one that I consider an absolute masterpiece)

It missed 1999 by just a few weeks. If it, and Rushmore (another movie released on the same day, 12/11/98) had come out just a month later, I think 1999's case as Best Movie Year Ever would be much stronger.
Old 09-19-19, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Costner just did Bill Simmons' podcast talking about FLotG and how he had to take some pretty strong meds to finish the scenes. Sure he was a collegiate baseball player, and had done two other baseball films by this time, but I hadn't realized how many pitches he had to throw. He basically simulated a full game.

The veteran actor tells the Bill Simmons Podcast he "was throwing 200 to 300 pitches a day for about 18 days" while filming the 1999 Sam Raimi-directed film, despite being over 40 years old at the time. It was Costner's third baseball movie, following 1988's Bull Durham and 1989's Field of Dreams. He stars as Billy Chapel, an aging pitcher fighting off injury, and career and relationship doubts while pursuing a perfect game in what could be his last start.

"I was in pain. I finally just vomited, the pain was so great," Costner says of his real-life struggles while making the movie. "We ended up getting the actual trainer for the [New York] Yankees – and I hope I'm not talking out of school here, but the reality was, this guy came to my rescue. I started having to take a little bit of stuff, I had to take a lot of stuff, just to get through the day. I was throwing that many pitches, and I was also getting kind of juiced up, too."

The final day of pitching required simulating an entire game, and Costner realized he'd have to take things to an even higher level – though he never states exactly which medications he used. "I was going to have to go out and pitch for about five and a half hours, six hours," Costner said. "And so I get the trainer, I said, 'Hey look, what if you had a player who was never going to play again? I need to do this thing. I'm not going to get through this. Whatever we've been doing, how this dose has been going up, we have to go higher. I need a couple of green ones, I need the blues ones, and I need one that you haven't even brought out yet.'"

The trainer consented, but also gave the actor a somewhat ominous warning. "So, I start to go up the steps, and the last thing he says to me, as I'm walking up the steps he says, 'You're gonna growl at a few people,'" Costner adds, "and I'm thinking 'How hyped up am I gonna be?'"
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/kevi...e-of-the-game/

I love FLotG.. along with Raimi's Quick and the Dead.
Old 09-19-19, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
September 15, 1999
American Beauty

Well...this movie won best picture at the Academy Awards and there's nothing else to say about it.

In reality, I always loved this movie. but time has not been kind to it publicly. Besides the Kevin Spacey element, lots of aspects of this movie have been ridiculed and torn apart, turning to parody and eye rolling. I haven't seen it in over a decade, I think I need to re-watch it and see how I feel it holds up.
I was pretty impressed with it at the time. Felt like the first Oscar movie that wasn't the old-fashioned film that screams OSCAR MOVIE. It was about something small, domestic, relate-able on some level. Though now that I have a full-grown daughter, the thought of making a movie about a father's desire to fuck his daughter's best friend is super-upsetting and creepy. And the homophobia angle hasn't aged well at all.
Still I love the performance of Annette Benning in the movie. Her energy is palpable and she's so eminently watchable in the role. I have no problem with Hillary Swank beating her out, but man it was a fantastic performance - best of her career.
And as un-PC as it is to say these days, Spacey was great. His telling off Benning after she catches him jerking off in the shower, and then later at the drive-in are undeniable and stunning. That manifestation of seething resentment and contempt was indelible.

Strange that despite all the hand-wringing about this movie, it is still ranked #72 on the IMDB All-Time list.
Old 09-24-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

September 24, 1999
Double Jeopardy
Jakob the Liar
The Minus Man
Mumford

Double Jeopardy was an interesting premise that turned into a huge hit. It was decent, never revisited it. Jakob the Liar wasn't good. Mumford was a decent comedy. Never saw The Minus Man, I remember hearing good things but it seems to have disappeared from the public conversation.
Old 09-24-19, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Double Jeopardy used a flawed premise. Her plan on the movie would NOT be covered under the Double Jeopardy clause.

Old 09-24-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Minus Man has possibly the most unique trailer ever conceived to market a film.

It’s a good movie, and there’s a murder involving unattended drinks in a restaurant that has stuck with me for life.
Old 09-24-19, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Minus Man has possibly the most unique trailer ever conceived to market a film.
I just watched it. The woman in the trailer was played by Marin Hinkle who played Judith on Two and a Half Men.
Old 09-25-19, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ll add that I saw the trailer in front of The Blair Witch Project. Very unique.
Old 09-25-19, 01:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
Double Jeopardy was an interesting premise that turned into a huge hit
Back when Ashley Judd still had some desirableness.

I enjoyed watching her running in the sand quite a bit. Also watching her swim up to the surface after she became submerged with the car. Those were my favorite scenes.

But not really a very good movie, though I did watch it twice.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.