Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Missing Link (2019, D: Bulter) V: Jackman, Galifanakis, Saldana, Olyphant, Thompson, Fry, Lucas

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Missing Link (2019, D: Bulter) V: Jackman, Galifanakis, Saldana, Olyphant, Thompson, Fry, Lucas

Old 04-08-19, 06:46 AM

IN THEATERS APRIL 12, 2019.

Meet Mr. Link: 8 feet tall, 630 lbs, and covered in fur, but don’t let his appearance fool you… he is funny, sweet, and adorably literal, making him the world’s most lovable legend. Tired of living a solitary life in the Pacific Northwest, Mr. Link recruits fearless explorer Sir Lionel Frost to guide him on a journey to find his long-lost relatives in the fabled valley of Shangri-La. Along with adventurer Adelina Fortnight, our fearless trio of explorers encounter more than their fair share of peril as they travel to the far reaches of the world to help their new friend.

Cast: Hugh Jackman, Zoe Saldana, Zach Galifianakis, Timothy Olyphant, Emma Thompson, Stephen Fry, Matt Lucas, Amrita Acharia, David Walliams
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6348138

Currently 85% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/missing_link_2019
Old 04-08-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Missing Link (2019, D: Bulter) V: Jackman, Galifanakis, Saldana, Olyphant, Thompson, Fry, Lucas

I was kind of surprised to find out this was Laika. I feel like that studio usually gets more hype than this got.
Old 04-08-19, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Missing Link (2019, D: Bulter) V: Jackman, Galifanakis, Saldana, Olyphant, Thompson, Fry, Lucas

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I was kind of surprised to find out this was Laika. I feel like that studio usually gets more hype than this got.
Been seeing previews for at least a couple of months. That's way more than I recall for any other Laika flick I've seen.

Really looking forward to this.
Old 04-10-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Up to 90% now.

Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
Been seeing previews for at least a couple of months. That's way more than I recall for any other Laika flick I've seen.

Really looking forward to this.
I must have missed them, though I did see a bunch for Wonder Park.
Old 04-10-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love Laika but I feel like this is going to bomb. My kids have like zero interest in seeing this. I'll probably drag them to it anyway (because of A List) and they'll love it though.
Old 04-10-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My friend saw this and said it was hilarious.
Old 04-10-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He looks cute for something that is probably suppose to be hideous
Old 04-14-19, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

MISSING LINK (PG) - Fun to watch, engaging cast and beautifully produced, but may be difficult to follow for younger movie viewers

There has been a recent resurgence in family entertainment centering around Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Yeti, etc. I remember in the 70’s when Bigfoot was featured on several popular programs, including the Bionic folk series. There was also a popular movie in the 80s about a gent called Harry. Lately, we had last year’s very entertaining Smallfoot, and I just saw a preview for a Chinese/Dreamworks-produced animated family film called Abominable.

Animation studio Laika, which brought us Coraline, ParaNormal, BoxTrolls and Kubo and The Two Strings, presents their latest stop-motion extravaganza Missing Link, featuring the voices of Hugh Jackman, Zach Galifianakis, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Fry, Tim Olyphant and a host of others. Set in the late 1800’s, Missing Link tells the story of Sir Lionel Frost, an renowned hunter of legendary creatures, who sets his sights on and finds the fabled Sasquatch in the forests of Washington in North America. Turn out that Link, the last of his kind, is intelligent and very talkative. Lionel vows to help Link find his relatives, the legendary Yeti of the Himalayas, but to do so, they must outwit Stenk, the hired gun of Lord Piggot-Dunceby, the head of a prestigious expeditionary society in Victorian England.

As expected, Laika brings the latest state-of-the-art technology to the old-school art of stop-motion special effects. Pain-staking hands-on frame-by-frame animation of hand-crafted puppet are combined with CGI enhanced backgrounds to create an immersive environment in which to tell this fantastical story. Characters are intricately crafted and designed, and brought to humorous, astonishing life. The story is also dense and more multi-layered that a lot of kid oriented programming, and the youngest movie goers will definitely have trouble keeping up with the plot. However, the fun imagery and slapstick action will certainly keep their interest.

I laughed out loud at many parts of Missing Link, and loved Link’s naivety. I also loved Zoe Saldana’s spitfire Adelina, widow of Sir Lionel’s former colleague, whose research is key to finding Link’s relatives. As a fan of old style stop-motion effects, I am automatically in love with what I see on the screen, and it helps that the movie is well-written and entertaining. I am giving Missing Link a solid 4 out of 5 lightsabers, and yes, this latest Laika endeavour will definitely find its way into my permanent collection.

NOTES TO PARENTS (Mild Spoilers): MISSING LINK is rated PG for adventure-related action and peril and mild rude humor. Lionel’s assistant is almost eaten by the Loch Ness Monster. The leader of an expeditionary club hires a thug to kill Sir Lionel. A woman (likely a frontier prostitute) makes a kissy face as Sir Lionel, then a male prisoner in jail attempting an escape does the same thing. Lionel considers Link “naked” although he is covered head to toe by fur. A customer in a western barroom has a slightly visible butt-crack. Sir Lionel and Link are at the center of an old fashioned barroom brawl, which includes fist fights and gun play. Lionel and Stenk grapple over a revolver on more than one occasion. Stenk holds a gun to Adelina’s head. Stenk goes after Lionel with an axe on a ship in a raging storm. The climax of the film takes place on an ice bridge that is falling apart. One character falls to their death, and another is impaled on an icicle before falling to their death.

MID- and AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: The mid-credits scene shows how the sequence of SIr Lionel, Link and Adelina traveling through India was created. After the credits, there is an updated animated logo for Laika that now includes Link.

LIKE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES, and SHARE it with family and friends.

ORB-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under Creative Commons.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 04-14-19 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, unfortunately, I felt the story fell flat. It wasn't very engaging, and I felt Mr. Link as a story device wasn't very interesting either. It's a shame because the animation on this is amazing. Even though this bombed, I hope Laika can continue because they really push the art form forward each time. I'd like to see what Laika could do with some Pixar story-smithing.