Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hellboy (Marshall, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Hellboy (Marshall, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
11.11%
0%
5.56%
16.67%
22.22%
33.33%
5.56%
0%
5.56%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Hellboy (Marshall, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Hellboy (Marshall, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Things are looking up, now 12%!
Armond White must've posted a positive.
Old 04-12-19, 11:29 AM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I probably won't see this in a theater, but the trailer looks like a decent, turn off your brain and watch some gory fight scenes time. I'll check it out once it hits streaming/redbox.
Old 04-14-19, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this earlier today.

Echoing the comments of Why So Blu?, this might be the first Neil Marshall film I can say I wasn't a huge fan of.

Though I appreciated the liberal use of the R-Rating, as well as a few of the set pieces, performances are a bit flat and the film feels overstuffed, quite frequently moving from one place to another without any sense of establishing purpose. Characters appear and disappear without note, which makes them feel like clear Plot Devices, rather than anything meaningful.

Also while I appreciate this film showing off more characters from the Hellboy Universe such as Lobster Johnson, Ben Daimo and Alice Monaghan, I can't help but feel that (specifically) Liz (Selma Blair) & Abe Sapien (Doug Jones/David Hyde Pierce) are sorely missed here. There just isn't quite a strong chemistry from David Harbour, Daniel Dae Kim & Sasha Lane.
Old 04-14-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I settled in with an adult beverage and watched the del Toro classics last night, which I haven't watched in a decade. Wow, Ron was excellent and Golden Army just popped with me, funny and fantastical. Even Seth McFarlane as the ectoplasm guy was great!
Old 04-15-19, 10:09 AM

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I really like the first two, maybe when things slow down a little at work this is worth an AMC A-List viewing after the kids are in bed. But the lack of strong enthusiasm here doesn't have me very enthused myself.
Old 04-16-19, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I just got back from seeing this. It's not a steaming pile of shit God awful as the early reviews say it is. It has some decent moments and some parts of it are funny. David Harbour is a solid Hellboy IMO and handles the character very well.

The story does have one of those tired "End of the World" mythologies and also has a goofy tie-in to the Knights of the Roundtable. There is a lot of set up and exposition before things finally get going in the final act.

and yeah it's very violent and gory in parts.

Overall I'd give it a C

and there are 2 post credit scenes, which set up a sequel that probably won't happen.
Old 04-19-19, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

I’ll join Perkinsun’s small minority and agree with everything he said ... I thoroughly enjoyed this version of Hellboy!

It was definitely a different tone than the GDT movies before it and it earns every bit of that R-rating. The gore, language, and violence were heavy, but not overly so. (Sadly, they don’t squeeze in an Ian McShane “cocksucker”.)

I have ZERO familiarity with the comics, but this felt as if it was hitting a lot of notes from the comic books. Things I may have enjoyed a bit more if I knew about them.

Some of the critiques I have seen knock the movie for the continually changing locations, but I really liked this “jet-setting” aspect of the film. From the opening luchador scene in Tijuana to the final scene in Siberia, it gave the film some of the feeling of a James Bond or Indiana Jones film.

Finally, yes. David Harbour does a fine job with the character. While he lacks the charm of Ron Pearlman’s version, he carries the character with a little more levity and, possibly appropriate for today’s day and age, a burden of wanting the worlds of man and monster to be able to co-exist.

Whatever trouble this production saw behind the scenes, I don’t feel it shows on screen. This was a fun romp that took a different tact than its predecessors. It did not have the original beloved director or star, so it seems to be one of those productions that critics pre-determine they are going to shit on. Yes, I admit I was cynical coming in, but I went in willing to give it a shot. This is a movie I will watch again and will buy on home video. I’d like to see it again in the theater, but it’s unfortunate release date means that may not happen.
Old 04-19-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

If I'd seen this movie sober, I would've walked out of it.

Aside from the fake single take action sequences, which I thought were pretty cool, and the creature effects, this movie is a turd top to bottom. And there's a 30 second sequence towards the end of the movie that is also very good. So we'll say 15 out of 120 minutes are worthwhile.

I can't believe nobody took the director aside and was like, "Hey, Hellboy looks ridiculous." That make up...woof. The very first time you see him in the movie, there is a big ol spotlight right on his face, and the make up just does not hold up to that kind of lighting. There are a few occasions in the movie where Hellboy actually looks fantastic, and most of those scenes are when the character is not talking or moving or doing anything other than being still. But for 99% of the movie, he looks terrible.

It's too bad we get that character tease at the end that will never go anywhere.
Old 04-21-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So what exactly was so bad about the film? Most of the criticisms I am seeing are just lam generic “it was bad, I couldn’t follow it.” That’s What leads me to believe “critics” are going to shit on it just because it isn’t GDT and Perlman. Pay attention, it’s not Shakespeare. It’s not that hard to follow. It’s also not that bad of a film.

The look of Hellboy distracted me at first, but then it grew on me. The asymmetry of his face made the character feel a little more “realistic” than a shiny sexy thing from a comic book. The tail bugged me though, as it never did anything.
Old 04-21-19, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Here's the "consensus" Rotten Tomatoes posted:

Bereft of the imaginative flair that made earlier Hellboys so enjoyable, this soulless reboot suggests Dante may have left a tenth circle out of his Inferno.
Is that an unfair assessment? I won't find out as, like many others apparently, decided to skip this.
Old 04-21-19, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only criticism that I see there is that it is “soulless” and not as “imaginative” as the GDT films without providing examples. I would disagree. It isn’t as flashy or cartoony, so if that’s what they mean ... I guess I would agree.

I hate to use the cliched terms “grounded” or “gritty realism” but I would say those can apply to the new one. The major theme of this version is Hellboy wrestling with his place in this world. He is a “monster” brought into the world of “man”. This version does a much better job portraying Hellboy’s conflicted relationship with his father — a man who saved a monster, but for what purpose? To be a weapon against his own kind?

The major theme in the first one was a romance with Liz. That’s imaginative. It’s been a while since I saw the second one. I remember it being a hot mess. What was the theme of Golden Army?

I’m not saying this is better than the GDT films. I’d rank it above Golden Army but below the original. What I am saying is that I believe much of the criticism is unfair and I would encourage you to see it and form your own opinion. For now though, the damage has been done. We likely will not see another Hellboy movie. Hopefully people give this one a chance on home video.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 04-21-19 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-22-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it's not like audiences go just by reviews, just look at Suicide Squad and what it did at the box office. More of an effect, people probably didn't think there was a need and coupled with the poor reviews, they chose to save their money (especially with Endgame coming up).
Old 04-22-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You are not wrong movieman. There was a multitude of factors that played into the poor box office performance: bad release date, bland trailer, “reboot” without the original cast & crew, bad reviews, production troubles/scandals, etc.

My point (that I am beating to death, sorry) is that Hellboy is not as bad as the reviews are portraying it as and it is worth seeing for yourself. I have read quite a few reviews and they seem to be trashing it just to trash it because it isn’t a third movie from GDT and Perlman. Even the lowest scored ones seem to say “Well, I liked A, B, and C. Harbour did well and points D and E were good, but this wasn’t what I wanted.” That doesn’t mean it’s terrible.

Unnecessary? Sure. But what movie is necessary?
Old 04-22-19, 11:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

There is no "good" release date for this. Thankfully, I saw it for free yesterday. The "soulless" and not "imaginative" it completely correct. Unnecessary? Why? Because Del Toro already showed us a much better and light-hearted take. It's not as bad - if you've never seen Del Toro's. But chances are high that most who went to see this were hoping for something a bit along the lines of the previous two. And those who went because of the director...well, at least they were satisfied on that level.

In short, nothing new was offered with this movie. That makes it unnecessary.
Old 04-22-19, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

My son and I saw this yesterday.

I will preface that I have only thumbed through some of the comics but my son has read a good bit of them. He loved that they had Lobster Johnson and the mexican wrestler parts.

Anyway, I will also preface that I think the first two Hellboy movies are wildly overrated. I never thought they were that great and when we rewatched them in anticipation for this new version, they were just as I remembered. Flat, non-funny (but supposed to be funny) lines, dull stories but with a decent imagination. I think that Golden Army is a dull mess. So...anyway...I went into the reboot really hoping to like this one.

This movie stinks. Like bad. The guy playing Helboy is fine except for his voice. Something about it and the delivery of his lines just grated on my nerves the whole time. And the dialogue...ugh. Same as the first two but possibly worse. Just tons of "this is supposed to be funny lines" and then nothing. Not funny, not mildly humorous, not engaging. Just annoying. Lots of unfunny snark...so if you liked the tepid, unfunny Aquaman delivery of lines...then you actually might like this.

I thought Hellboy's make-up was fine. It was all the other effects I had a problem with. So much awful CG in this that I can't hate it enough. Nothing looked remotely real. Every blood effect, every creature, every green screen set....everything was just bad. So it fits right in with the other Hellboy movies. At least the other Hellboy movies did a few practical effects. This new one had basically none.

The storyline...jeez. Not interesting and basically I had to move around quick a bit to keep myself from falling asleep at times (and I may have lost about 10 minutes or so because of a quick nap). Milla's story didn't make much sense. She knows HB isn't a bad guy and doesn't want her. Yet she wants him to be with her. So she pushes Excalibur on him though she knows that is the only thing he can use to kill her. Then to make him want her and not kill her, she brutally kills his father in from of him. Great idea! That will make him not kill you and want to rule the destroyed underworld/Earth or whatever.

The creatures that are let loose are the most interesting part. But it makes no sense why they were let loose. HB didn't command them to come out and start destroying and eating people. Why are they there other than to look very cool and get the hard R rating? No idea.

And I love hard R ratings...but this was just a bunch of CG kills with CG blood that a 10 year old would think is fake. Nothing in this movie seemed legit.

So anyway...I went in with no huge hard-on for the old Hellboys like so many others have but I did go in with a positive attitude and came out with a frown.

My rating: ** out of *****

This movie is on par with HB 2: Golden Army. If you liked that, then I would say give the reboot a shot.

But fuck...what happened to Marshall? Dog Soldiers is one of the best werewolf movies ever made. The Descent is truly a modern horror classic. Everything else after that has been shit.

ps. Milla doesn't seem to age and is still gorgeous. But she hams it up too much in this one to be an enjoyable performance. Nice cleavage throughout though.
Old 07-13-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I may not be a big fan of Guillermo Del Toro (talented filmmaker but I don't stand at attention with his every project), yet his visual flair was on display with 2004's Hellboy, something that was sorely lacking in this reboot. Also lacking was Ron Perlman's stellar charm, something David Harbour, fine actor and all, didn't possess underneath the comic-accurate make-up and prosthetics. But beyond all that, this was an ugly movie with no creativity and, quite frankly, outright dull at times even during the action scenes. It was only two hours but felt so much longer, happy to see it flopped at the box office. 2.0/5
Old 07-20-19, 02:54 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I loved it ! very pleasantly surprised

R rating definitely helped.

Fight with giants rocked

The scenes with the weird demons killing humans at the end, that rocked

8/10
Old 08-03-19, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The positives: Harbour was fine as Hellboy, I'll watch Milla is just about anything, the giant scene was kinda fun, and Hellboy looked bad ass towards the end as he was coming up with Excalibur.

The negatives: Just about everything else. The plot was dumb, the side characters were sleepwalking through the movie and the CGI looked cheap.

If this was a bad fun movie that would be one thing, but it turned out to be a 2 hr bore for the most part.
Old 08-05-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked the action and enjoyed the right but the story was terrible. I didn't mind the CGI at all. Reminds me of Alita Battle Angel that also had a terrible story but boy were those fight scenes cool. I could watch both movies multiple times just for the action.
Old 08-05-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

IDK, I thought the CGI, especially his fight with the giants, was absolutely awful. Terrible and obvious use of green screen. No excuse for that in 2019.
Old 09-19-19, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Big fan of GdT's HBs, but just didn't feel it with this film.
Marshall seems uninspired here...just going thru the motions.

Our Stranger Things Police Chief does a good job in the lead, as does Leeloo.
Generally, the main actors seemed committed to the characters, but were short-changed by the people behind the camera.
The CGI was decent, however.

The pop songs had a nasty habit of pulling me out of the movie and reminding me GdT owns this material.
Del Toro and Perlman brought a charm to it....something that was missing from this misfire.

Video qualify of the BD was very good.
Sound was good enough.

I'll forget this movie pretty quickly....
Old 09-19-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 193 Posts

I started watching this on a flight to San Diego and made it 25 minutes...before switching to another movie.
Old 09-19-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Del Toro's films felt more character-driven and you were following the story where they led; Marshall's film feels more plot-driven, which puts the emphasis on the story, which does the film no favors.
Old 09-19-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Just watched this on a flight too - I thought it was...fine. I haven't read the comics but it felt like it brought a lot of stuff from the comics into the movie. As much as I like the original Hellboy movie, the fact that he really only fights one kind of monster throughout is kinda boring. It was interesting seeing what thing was coming in next. And David Harbour did a good job. I won't watch it again but it was okay to kill a few hours.
Old 01-08-20, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Saw this on HBO and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.