Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which movies are essential to watch before Endgame?
Captain America: The First Avenger
8
38.10%
Iron Man
7
33.33%
The Incredible Hulk
3
14.29%
Iron Man 2
3
14.29%
Thor
4
19.05%
The Avengers
13
61.90%
Iron Man 3
3
14.29%
Thor: The Dark World
3
14.29%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
10
47.62%
Guardians of the Galaxy
12
57.14%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
6
28.57%
Avengers: Age of Ultron
9
42.86%
Ant-Man
6
28.57%
Captain America: Civil War
15
71.43%
Black Panther
6
28.57%
Spider-Man Homecoming
4
19.05%
Doctor Strange
6
28.57%
Ant-Man and the Wasp
11
52.38%
Captain Marvel
12
57.14%
Thor: Ragnarok
13
61.90%
Avengers: Infinity War
20
95.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Old 03-30-19, 09:48 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,709
Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

So we're less than a month away and I wanted to discuss how people are prepping for Endgame. Personally I have so far avoided all spoilers and would like to keep it that way in this thread. I haven't even watched the trailers. As excited as I am I think I want to go in totally fresh. So first I heard that the rumor is that tickets go on sale on April 2nd this Tuesday. Any idea on when the first showings will be and of what type etc? Second, how is everyone catching up on the MCU. Are you watching all 21 movies? I was able to do that last year in preparation for Infinity War and I'm pretty glad I did considering they pulled things like the return of Red Skull and such. That's a tall order considering how much time is left. So I made a poll to select which movies that you think are essential to watch before for Endgame. Also any recap videos on YouTube that would be helpful as well. This is going to be one of the most epic movies ever. The culmination of 21 separate movies over the course of 10 years?
tanman is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 10:15 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,330
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

I watched through almost all of the films over the last few months. Aside from still needing to catch Captain Marvel in the theater, I'm not doing anything else in preparation. I stopped watching previews after the first one, and haven't read any interviews (not that I expect them to say anything anyway). I doubt I'll be able to catch the movie in the first two weeks of release.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 10:46 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Just around the corner to the light of day.
Posts: 12,429
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

My girlfriend and I started the entire run of the flicks in what we called Marvelous March. We only got to Civil War so now we're finishing in Avenging April.

When watching this in order it is amazing the scope, little connections and talent involved. When I was a kid I wished for awesome comic book movies. I got Batman in the 80s which was great but I was a MARVEL kid. I wanted Wolverine, Spidey and Hulk. I never dreamed an Infinity War movie would happen.
ViewAskewbian is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 10:48 AM
  #4  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,641
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Assuming you are already familiar and just want to review the pertinent plot points that lead into this particular film, I would pick Infinity War, Ant Man and Wasp, and Captain Marvel.
Groucho is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 10:53 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 12,472
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

I’m just watching various 3 hour movies and measuring bladder pressure.
E Unit is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 11:13 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,015
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Originally Posted by e unit View Post
iím just watching various 3 hour movies and measuring bladder pressure.
lol....
csant is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 11:25 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,688
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

I didnít make it all the way through all the MCU films prior to Infinity War. So my plan is to try and do them all before Endgame. I got to like Thor: The Dark World last year and ran out of time (started trying to watch them all too late).
Mike86 is online now  
Old 03-31-19, 11:30 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 18,941
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Realistically, I'd say only Infinity War if you're a casual viewer. Yeah, there's going to be Quantum Realm stuff from Ant Man and probably references to whatever Captain Marvel brings to the table, but regular plot exposition should cover the basics. These movies are put together well enough that if you don't get all the references, you can still follow the story. Think of the Red Skull in Infinity War. If you hadn't seen Captain America: The First Avenger, he's just some scary guy doomed by the power of the Infinity Stones, and the scenes are perfectly understandable.

And, of course, Iron Man 2 is absolutely required as well. Randy's Donuts holds the key to the entire story. The. Entire. Story.
Jason is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 11:41 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 13,170
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Assuming you are already familiar and just want to review the pertinent plot points that lead into this particular film, I would pick Infinity War, Ant Man and Wasp, and Captain Marvel.
I would imagine this would sum it up nicely. I watched Infinity War and Ant Man and Wasp when they were first released on Blu-ray, not that long ago. I donít think Iím going to get a chance to see Captain Marvel before seeing Endgame, which is a shame but Iím sure I wonít be completely lost without it.

Thats my prep.

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Iím just watching various 3 hour movies and measuring bladder pressure.
Iím just planning on pissing in my empty big gulp cup right in my seat. Wonít miss a thing!
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 12:40 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,952
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

I still fondly remember all the MCU re-watches I did for Infinity last year. I remember re-tweaking the lineup to some satisfying results:
Spoiler:
First Avenger (To me, this is the REAL starting point of the MCU---Although Captain Marvel might have changed that now)

Iron Man (Didn't realize how much Coulson was in this)

Incredible Hulk (Even though I forgot it's meant to take place after IM2)

IM2

Thor

Avengers (I forgot, or didn't even notice, Black Widow's lines about Hawkeye once saving her life on this viewing. I'm sure that will have a bigger impact with Endgame)

Dark World

IM3 (I remember I was debating on watching Ultron before this one since Stark seems to "Retire" at the end of this--Which could have been a better lead-in for Civil War)

Winter Soldier

GOTG (You could even put volume 2 quickly after this, but it's good to spread them apart)

Ultron

Ant-Man

Civil War

Spider-Man: Homecoming (In the future, should I ever do an even bigger MCU marathon, I'll be flip-flopping either this one or Black Panther in the lineup since both start right after Civil War)

GOTG vol2

Doctor Strange

Ragnarok
(Only got to see Black Panther during it's original theatrical run)


As for the movie-going for Endgame, It looks like it'll just be a repeat of what I did last year:
Arrive at the theater about an hour early
Kill time at the Walmart across the street (Graze through all the Marvel stuff they'll be selling)
Have dinner at the Subway there (SMALL diet soda with NO refill)
Get in line (My local theater doesn't reserve seats..And last year, I was around 25th in line, but still ended up getting my favorite seat)
After my seat's saved, head to the bathroom. (I'm still debating on having an edible. Cannabis seems to slow down bladder problems for me)
I should be fine after that. I'm just dying to find out if there's gonna be end-credits sequences. I'm positive there will be at least one. I'm gonna be feeling sorry for the drinkers & popcorn eaters who will be painfully waiting this one out!

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 03-31-19 at 12:59 PM.
Mondo Kane is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 02:29 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 32,659
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Iím just watching various 3 hour movies and measuring bladder pressure.
Don't forget to add in credits.

Usually before a long-ass movie, I won't drink a lot for 4 hours prior and I will pee just before the movie. Then I have no problem needing to go during the movie.
TomOpus is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 06:09 PM
  #12  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 36,522
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Many votes for Ant-Man and the Wasp. is that really a good lead in? i know end has that one scene of Scott, in the qr, calling out to Hope and Hank and them dust, but is there more in the movie to lead to Endgame?

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-01-19 at 09:00 AM.
OldBoy is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 06:11 PM
  #13  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 36,522
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Don't forget to add in credits.

Usually before a long-ass movie, I won't drink a lot for 4 hours prior and I will pee just before the movie. Then I have no problem needing to go during the movie.
yeah, it's 3h02m till the bladder end...
OldBoy is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 06:21 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,537
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

I don't feel the need to re-watch anything. I'm good.
Obi-Wan Jabroni is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 09:37 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,709
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Iím just watching various 3 hour movies and measuring bladder pressure.
I'm a LotR veteran so bring it
tanman is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 09:38 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,709
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Realistically, I'd say only Infinity War if you're a casual viewer. Yeah, there's going to be Quantum Realm stuff from Ant Man and probably references to whatever Captain Marvel brings to the table, but regular plot exposition should cover the basics. These movies are put together well enough that if you don't get all the references, you can still follow the story. Think of the Red Skull in Infinity War. If you hadn't seen Captain America: The First Avenger, he's just some scary guy doomed by the power of the Infinity Stones, and the scenes are perfectly understandable.

And, of course, Iron Man 2 is absolutely required as well. Randy's Donuts holds the key to the entire story. The. Entire. Story.
lol

That's true and that's the beauty of the MCU. They somehow balance it to have it be appealing to both casual viewers and diehards. This thread is targeted more for the diehards though.
tanman is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 09:41 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,709
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Many votes for Ant-Man and the Wasp. is that really a good lead in? i know end has that one scene of Scott, in the qr, calling out to Faith and Hank and them dust, but is there more in the movie to lead to Endgame?
Yeah I'm not sure about that. I think that it was just the mid credits scene right?
tanman is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 09:46 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,709
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
I still fondly remember all the MCU re-watches I did for Infinity last year. I remember re-tweaking the lineup to some satisfying results:
Spoiler:
First Avenger (To me, this is the REAL starting point of the MCU---Although Captain Marvel might have changed that now)

Iron Man (Didn't realize how much Coulson was in this)

Incredible Hulk (Even though I forgot it's meant to take place after IM2)

IM2

Thor

Avengers (I forgot, or didn't even notice, Black Widow's lines about Hawkeye once saving her life on this viewing. I'm sure that will have a bigger impact with Endgame)

Dark World

IM3 (I remember I was debating on watching Ultron before this one since Stark seems to "Retire" at the end of this--Which could have been a better lead-in for Civil War)

Winter Soldier

GOTG (You could even put volume 2 quickly after this, but it's good to spread them apart)

Ultron

Ant-Man

Civil War

Spider-Man: Homecoming (In the future, should I ever do an even bigger MCU marathon, I'll be flip-flopping either this one or Black Panther in the lineup since both start right after Civil War)

GOTG vol2

Doctor Strange

Ragnarok
(Only got to see Black Panther during it's original theatrical run)


As for the movie-going for Endgame, It looks like it'll just be a repeat of what I did last year:
Arrive at the theater about an hour early
Kill time at the Walmart across the street (Graze through all the Marvel stuff they'll be selling)
Have dinner at the Subway there (SMALL diet soda with NO refill)
Get in line (My local theater doesn't reserve seats..And last year, I was around 25th in line, but still ended up getting my favorite seat)
After my seat's saved, head to the bathroom. (I'm still debating on having an edible. Cannabis seems to slow down bladder problems for me)
I should be fine after that. I'm just dying to find out if there's gonna be end-credits sequences. I'm positive there will be at least one. I'm gonna be feeling sorry for the drinkers & popcorn eaters who will be painfully waiting this one out!
I really like cnet's MCU timeline. They have a lot of rationale and also pepper in all the MCU including the TV shows down to the season and episode.

https://www.cnet.com/features/marvel...ngers-endgame/
tanman is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 09:58 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 3,447
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Many votes for Ant-Man and the Wasp. is that really a good lead in? i know end has that one scene of Scott, in the qr, calling out to Faith and Hank and them dust, but is there more in the movie to lead to Endgame?
I voted for it more based on Endgame speculation that
Spoiler:
the quantum realm could play a role.
Tom Banjo is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 10:12 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 12,472
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I'm a LotR veteran so bring it
If only my bladder is what it was from 16 years ago.
E Unit is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 08:53 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,633
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

This better happen

Spoiler:
all i know is Captain America better sacrifice himself for the team. It would be awesome. The trailer and even the last movie leads me to believe he is
raven56706 is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 11:41 AM
  #22  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,143
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
This thread is targeted more for the diehards though.
Diehards donít need prep!
Trevor is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 01:42 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,537
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Diehards donít need prep!
Obi-Wan Jabroni is offline  
Old 04-02-19, 03:55 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,709
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Don't forget tickets go on sale today! April 2nd.

AMC already has the times up on their app and you can get a reminder when they go on sale. So in my area they have Thursday Dolby Cinema 6 pm and 10 pm. Liemax 6:30 and 10:30 and then the only 3D is in RealD which is a smaller crappier theater in our area. And then a whole bunch of regular showings. It looks like they'll be dedicating 18/24 theaters at this location.
tanman is offline  
Old 04-03-19, 03:36 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,709
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

This was a really good recap on the different Avengers and how they got to where they are in Endgame.

tanman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.