Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which movies are essential to watch before Endgame?
Captain America: The First Avenger
38.10%
Iron Man
33.33%
The Incredible Hulk
14.29%
Iron Man 2
14.29%
Thor
19.05%
The Avengers
61.90%
Iron Man 3
14.29%
Thor: The Dark World
14.29%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
47.62%
Guardians of the Galaxy
57.14%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
28.57%
Avengers: Age of Ultron
42.86%
Ant-Man
28.57%
Captain America: Civil War
71.43%
Black Panther
28.57%
Spider-Man Homecoming
19.05%
Doctor Strange
28.57%
Ant-Man and the Wasp
52.38%
Captain Marvel
57.14%
Thor: Ragnarok
61.90%
Avengers: Infinity War
95.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame the Spoiler free preparation thread

Originally Posted by Groucho
Assuming you are already familiar and just want to review the pertinent plot points that lead into this particular film, I would pick Infinity War, Ant Man and Wasp, and Captain Marvel.
I took the vote to mean that you hadn't seen ANY of the movies. So I picked the first film in every hero's series (other than The Incredible Hulk) and then the three previous Avengers films. I DID go with all the Captain America movies, particularly Civil War, which is more an Avengers film than a solo Cap movie.
Old 04-03-19, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
This better happen

Spoiler:
all i know is Captain America better sacrifice himself for the team. It would be awesome. The trailer and even the last movie leads me to believe he is
It's the worst-kept secret in Hollywood since the death of Han Solo, IMO.
Old 04-03-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

This MCU recap video is pre-Infinity War but does a decent job covering many key plot points from all the previous movies (so just has spoilers for those movies only), intermixed with a lot of attempts at humor (some work and some don't)

Old 04-18-19, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Can't find the article right now but the Russo Bros. said the two movies you need to watch before Endgame are Civil War and IW.

Towards the tail end of my rewatch. Some thoughts: Winter Soldier and the OG Avengers are still the best. I'll wait until watching Endgame before I see where that and IW fit in the rankings. I skipped IM 2 and 3 and Hulk. As much as I like RDJ as IM the first movie was really the only really good one.

One question I do have is did T'Challa have the powers of the Black Panther in Civil War? It should be that only the king has the powers and once he is succeeded then his successor gains the powers of the Black Panther right? It wasn't quite clear on if he had his powers then or not.
Old 04-18-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also if anyone needs tickets they've opened up 0200 showings at my local AMC for opening night if that will work for anyone.
Old 04-18-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
One question I do have is did T'Challa have the powers of the Black Panther in Civil War? It should be that only the king has the powers and once he is succeeded then his successor gains the powers of the Black Panther right? It wasn't quite clear on if he had his powers then or not.
Given some of the fighting and leaping he does in Civil War, it really stretches plausibility if it turns out he didn't have his powers at the time.

Old 04-18-19, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Given some of the fighting and leaping he does in Civil War, it really stretches plausibility if it turns out he didn't have his powers at the time.
Yeah right? So how or when did he take the glowing herb thing? There wasn't any time in between his father's death and when he started chasing him.
Old 04-18-19, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I just assumed that T'Challa had been acting as Black Panther in his father's stead for some time prior to his death, but couldn't officially take the title until he was king.
Old 04-19-19, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Family will only have time to watch Ragnarok, Infinity War, and the mid-credits scene of Ant-Man and the Wasp, but I’ll try to slip in Civil War, Black Panther, and Doctor Strange just to cover some of the more recent stuff. Not going back to the theater to rewatch Captain Marvel.
Old 04-19-19, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think BP is very necessary. Doc Strange may be more relevant. I'd say the Original Avengers might be more relevant.
Old 04-19-19, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I just assumed that T'Challa had been acting as Black Panther in his father's stead for some time prior to his death, but couldn't officially take the title until he was king.
Ah...I see. That makes sense. Because rewatching it they make a big deal about taking the mantle of Black Panther but maybe that's just more expository.
Old 04-19-19, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Yes, but it is also clear that he already has already taken the herb and has the powers at the start of BP. He takes the potion to take away his powers before the challenge.
Old 04-20-19, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Yes, but it is also clear that he already has already taken the herb and has the powers at the start of BP. He takes the potion to take away his powers before the challenge.
Yeah that's a good point. They just kept making it a big deal that there can only be one Black Panther so I was confused. I think Black Panther did the best in creating an entirely new world for the story to take place in Wakanda was really a sight to behold. Would make a great Theme Park.
Old 04-20-19, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I don't think BP is very necessary. Doc Strange may be more relevant. I'd say the Original Avengers might be more relevant.
No, I don’t think BP is critical either, but I like it as a bridge between Civil War and Infinity War.
Old 04-20-19, 05:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

why is Civil War and GotG getting so much love as pre-watches?

really, the only ones that important are The Avengers movies themselves. sure there are bits and pieces in every other movie. and very little bits sometimes, but i don't see connection in CW and GotG. none, really strike me as essential except for the 1st 3 Avengesr. those show the relationships, the interactions of characters, those build on the relationship and conflicting views and more importantly include all characters. all other Marvel are really standalone with, again, bits and pieces, usually in credits sequences.

yes, CW shows the great divide, but you saw that in original and Ultron and of course, Infinity War. and Ragnarok just has the one brief credit scene...

i dunno. gonna see Ant-Man and Wasp bc i know those end credits def. tie and it technically is last MCU movie to be released, not counting Captain Marvel...

are there any numbers out yet on pre-sales?
Old 04-21-19, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Russo Brothers themselves said Civil War and Infinity War as the two must see movies before Endgame. Civil War was just as much of an Avengers movie as any of the other official titled ones. It had virtually everyone in it and laid the foundation for the rift that still continues up until this movie. Yeah they fought before but this was actually breaking up the Avengers. Plus it introduces Spider-Man and Black Panther, and puts Ant-Man and Hawkeye in hiding.

GotG is really only important if you haven't watched it before and are unfamiliar with the relationship the characters have with each other and with Thanos.

I can't find any solid numbers but it's outselling IW 5:1 and on pace for an opening of $230-280 million.
Old 04-21-19, 06:02 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Presale numbers don't get released. They just say at what pace it has been selling, outselling other movies, etc.
Old 04-21-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

My preparation is going to be going dark from the Internet from Thursday until I see the movie on a Saturday.
Old 04-21-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

Here's another MCU recap:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_4zczrxuCjY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-21-19, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks all for the video reCaps.