Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I’m Thinking of Ending Things (D: Charlie Kaufman) S: Plemons, Collette, Thewlis, Buckley -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I’m Thinking of Ending Things (D: Charlie Kaufman) S: Plemons, Collette, Thewlis, Buckley -- Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-19, 01:26 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Toni Collette, Jessie Buckley, and David Thewlis are joining the cast of Netflix’s film “I’m Thinking of Ending Things,” sources tell Variety.

Charlie Kaufman is writing and directing the movie, which stars Jesse Plemons. Based on Ian Reid’s 2016 novel, “I’m Thinking of Ending Things” follows Jake (Plemons), a man going on a road trip to meet his parents on their secluded farm with his girlfriend (Buckley), who is thinking of terminating their relationship. When Jake makes an unexpected detour leaving her stranded, a twisted mix of palpable tension, psychological frailty, and sheer terror ensues.

Kaufman is also producing with Likely Story’s Anthony Bregman, Bob Salerno, and Stefanie Azpiazu. Reid will serve as co-producer.

The new project reunites Kaufman with his frequent collaborator Bregman, who previously produced “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” “Synecdoche, New York,” and “Human Nature.”

Collette most recently starred in A24’s horror thriller “Hereditary” and Netflix’s “Velvet Buzzsaw” with Jake Gyllenhaal. She will appear next in Lionsgate’s “Knives Out” with Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, and Ana de Armas.

After breaking out in the FX series “Taboo,” Buckley will star in the HBO limited series “Chernobyl.” She follows that up with BBC Films’ Judy Garland biopic “Judy,” “The Voyage of Doctor Doolittle,” and “Misbehavior.”

Thewlis can be seen next in the Amazon series “The Feed” and also has the “Avatar” sequels bowing in 2020.

Buckley is repped by CAA and United Agents. Collette is represented by CAA, United Management, and Finley Management. Thewlis is repped by CAA and the Artists Partnerships.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/t...ve-1203172412/
Old 03-26-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: I’m Thinking of Ending Things (D: Charlie Kaufman) S: Plemons, Collette, Thewlis, Buckley -- Netflix

Hope it's as good as it sounds.
Old 03-26-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: I’m Thinking of Ending Things (D: Charlie Kaufman) S: Plemons, Collette, Thewlis, Buckley -- Netflix

Shoot. Came in thinking it was going to be a Thanos prequel.
Old 08-29-20, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Sept 4th

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/im_..._ending_things

The following users liked this post:
neocheddar02 (08-30-20)
Old 09-04-20, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I knew this was going to be odd going in but maybe not this odd. I’m sure some will find the deeper meaning of it all but I was just left with WTF thoughts. Strong performances by a great cast though.
Old 09-04-20, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm watching it now and finding it tremendously depressing.
Old 09-04-20, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm watching it now and finding it tremendously depressing.
And soooooooooo fucking boring. I turned it off after 45 minutes. I'll try to finish it later, but I kind of hate it so far.
Old 09-04-20, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What you don't like two well read people that don't belong together forcing conversation for 45 minutes? this is a movie with a very specific audience.
Old 09-04-20, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What you don't like two well read people that don't belong together forcing conversation for 45 minutes? this is a movie with a very specific audience.
And I'm that audience, when the film is at least interesting. Trust me, I like more obscure movies than I do Hollywood block busters. But even this tested my patience.
Old 09-04-20, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Same boat. It's a thoroughly tough one to get into.

I'm actually still watching it because it's also 20 hours long.

I get the gist of what they were going for here, but that ending was about as clear as mud.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-04-20 at 11:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RichC2:
Daytripper (09-04-20), Rocketsfan (09-08-20)
Old 09-04-20, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Same boat. It's a thoroughly tough one to get into. I'm actually still watching it because it's also 20 hours long.
Oh my. That first 45 minutes certainly felt like 24 hours alone.
Old 09-05-20, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And yet, I found this made more sense and felt shorter than Tenet.....
Old 09-05-20, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah dont get me wrong, it makes plenty of sense, but it feels kind of intentionally muddy but I guess I understood it so it wasn't that obscure.

I did like the message of it
Old 09-06-20, 10:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

“I’m 14 and this is Deep: the Movie”
Old 09-06-20, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Not seen this yet but Plemens is one of the more underrated actors working today and he is tapping Kirsten Dunst.
Old 09-06-20, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm just glad if you google: imdb meth damon
he shows up.
Old 09-06-20, 07:34 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I'm just glad if you google: imdb meth damon
he shows up.
If if you actually search “meth Damon” with IMDb’s search he comes up too.
Old 09-06-20, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Another heavy Kaufman movie. Don’t watch if you battle depression.

It’s top tier Netflix.
Old 09-08-20, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts

I really enjoyed "Malkovich" and "Adaptation", and at times I really felt like Kaufman was reading my mind. I felt like I've been in this situation, too, -at least the car trip part of it. However, I found watching it so depressing, -it put me in a bad state of mind, - that I just had to turn it off about the point of the maggot-ridden pigs.

Last edited by DWilson; 09-08-20 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-08-20, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

People seem to be confused as to what happened. I think I have it right?

Spoiler:
Sad and lonely janitor recollects a made-up tale involving himself and a girl he dated or might have made up.
Janitor hangs around high school being sad. TV and the high school play makes him feel a little better.
Janitor has an episode and dies in pickup truck.
The rest is basically a mix of his personal experiences when younger and fiction.

It also addresses the way many people live with a great story in their head that they never get to publish or film. Sad janitor walking around with story he never got to tell.
Old 09-08-20, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Much less bewildering than Tenet.
Old 09-08-20, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty much. I personally saw it as
Spoiler:
He never asked the girl out and thought "What if", which was her planning to end it anyway so ultimately he wound up where he always would have, a pity party.

Then he basically speculates that she could have stuck around, and life could have been better.

Old 09-09-20, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I watched it and loved it, although I think the film's at its best while at the farmhouse. I did figure out the twist fairly early on, while Lucy was in Jake's Childhood Room.

AV Club has an analysis of the ending, and how it differs from the book:
https://film.avclub.com/let-s-talk-a...-mo-1844936247

Some additional thoughts:
Spoiler:
There's some complaints about the film because Lucy "isn't real." Except, she is real, as real as Jake is. The Janitor is basically thinking both their thoughts. The gag through the movie is that Jake can always hear Lucy's thoughts, and he's often reacting to her thoughts without trying to seem like it.

Oklahoma! is referenced a lot. I've never seen the musical, but I recognized the ballet sequence being a reference to it because of the parody done in Cannibal: The Musical. I gathered the final song Jake sings on stage was another reference, and looking it up, it's "Lonely Room" from that musical. Earlier in the car, the Oklahoma song comes on the radio because the Janitor is, at that point, watching the rehearsal at the high school. As Jake says, the high school puts it on every few years, so The Janitor has seen it a lot. That's also probably why he's seen so many other musicals and can list so many, despite not really being "into" musicals.

"A Robert Zemeckis film" . Later in the film, in the car ride away from the farmhouse, Lucy is very briefly played by the actress in that film. Lucy's whole backstory changes to the one the character in that movie had, and her name changes to "Ames."

The scene at Tulsey Town seems to indicate that the girls there are more permanent fixtures in The Janitor's mind. The dumpster full of cups suggests that The Janitor daydreams this scenario a lot, but he ultimately always ends up a Janitor at the high school, and has to go home. I think The Janitor ended up living in his parent's old home. The opening shots are all of the farmhouse, but later, remnants of his parents still lingering around. I think he's done this loop a lot, with variations of Lucy and other women he thought about approaching, but never did. The swingset that Lucy sees early on is the swingset from the farmhouse, but from earlier in his life.

Lucy early in the film in the car gets a call from "Lucy" that she doesn't answer. Her ringtone is an actual old phone ring, like from the past, or a movie. When she later pulls out her phone to show her paintings, she has a lot of missed calls from "Lucy" which then changed to "Luisa" in later missed calls. Of course, the paintings aren't hers, they're just paintings the Janitor, a failed painter, likes, her poem isn't hers but a poem he liked, which she discovers while investigating his bedroom. There's also a book of movie reviews by Pauline Kael in his bedroom, so when Lucy later goes off on an extended rant about A Woman Under the Influence, I figured that was Kael's review. The Janitor is eager to read and learn, but isn't confident in his abilities, and maybe not that bright, so lets the opinions of others that he reads to browbeat him, because they must be smarter than him, and thus must be right.

The bit with the Janitor in the truck is maybe him breaking down and getting hypothermia from sitting in the truck too long, which can ironically make one feel hot and shed clothing. The final song is his acceptance of his life.
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (09-13-20)
Old 01-27-21, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Finally got around to watching this. I liked it quite a lot until the final 20 minutes or so when it just went off a surreal cliff for me. Prior to that it had a real interesting David Lynch vibe I liked and the lead actress was amazing, but I’m just not really sure it stuck the landing. Still like all of Kaufman’s films it’s worth revisiting and one I actually would like to watch again fairly soon now that I know where it’s going (sort of).
Old 02-15-21, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

I am a sucker for a snow movie thought it sucked it was filmed in a 4:3 format.

WTF?

It was not horrible but really long and fell asleep during one of the car scenes.

Had no idea Guy Boyd played the janitor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.