Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Old 03-25-19, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
While for me, The Hateful Eight is the best film he's made since Jackie Brown. A film that falls just short of greatness.
i agree 100%
Old 03-25-19, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Jeff Nichols
Old 03-26-19, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I think this points to the futility of this thread. What constitutes good and bad? I have the opinion that Unforgiven is objectively great. One of the best Westerns ever. But seeing as that feeling is not universal that makes my opinion subjective. Tarantino is mentioned a lot and he made what I feel is one of the best movies of all time in Pulp Piction, but I think his last two films are terrible self indulgent crap.

Too many factors in what makes a film good or bad for each person so the list just winds up being "who is your favorite director"
You are absolutely right: this subject is completely subjective.
Reading this thread I am amazed how divergent the opinions of fellow posters are...even when speaking about a particular Director.
Old 03-26-19, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Michael Wadleigh
Old 03-26-19, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reading through this thread Wes Anderson is the only one that passes the sniff test to me.
Old 03-26-19, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Claire Denis
Old 03-26-19, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Andrey Zvyagintsev
Old 03-26-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
While for me, The Hateful Eight is the best film he's made since Jackie Brown. A film that falls just short of greatness.
Originally Posted by inri222
i agree 100%
Agreed as well. The Hateful Eight, Jackie Brown, and Pulp Fiction are IMO Tarantino's masterpieces.
Old 03-26-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

I think this points to the futility of this thread. What constitutes good and bad? I have the opinion that Unforgiven is objectively great. One of the best Westerns ever. But seeing as that feeling is not universal that makes my opinion subjective.
Nothing is ever "objectively great", unless you're doing some kind of quantitative analysis and defining "great" as a numerical value. For instance, many, many people think Magnolia is an unqualified masterpiece, and I think it's a shallow exercise in directorial self-indulgence to the most insufferable extremes.
Old 03-26-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,817 Likes on 1,936 Posts

I think this points to the futility of this thread. What constitutes good and bad? I have the opinion that Unforgiven is objectively great. One of the best Westerns ever. But seeing as that feeling is not universal that makes my opinion subjective. Tarantino is mentioned a lot and he made what I feel is one of the best movies of all time in Pulp Piction, but I think his last two films are terrible self indulgent crap.

Too many factors in what makes a film good or bad for each person so the list just winds up being "who is your favorite director"
There is really no objective way to judge art. There are no rulers or scales that can measure and weigh the merits of art. Itís all opinion, so it is ultimately futile. But itís still a worthwhile discussion to have.

As far as The Unforgiven goes, while it didnít hold my interest thirty or so years ago, I can also accept that it might be one of the best western films ever made. And, hell, if I watched it now, I might agree that it is a great movie.

There are all kinds of movies like this. Some people will claim that 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the best films ever made. And some people are going to be bored out of their minds with it. (I am in the former camp, but I can understand the latter feeling that way.)

And some people find David Lynchís Inland Empire to be a masterpiece, while others wonder wtf he was thinking.
Old 03-26-19, 10:17 AM

Received 855 Likes on 559 Posts

2001 is an excellent example. I want to like it, but it’s just so boring. I can appreciate that it’s a landmark of cinema and it’s influenced countless films that I’m sure I enjoy. I just can’t get into it.

Blazing Saddles is another. I’ve tried half a dozen times to watch it, but just don’t find it funny. It’s in no way a bad movie, I just don’t get it I guess.
Old 03-26-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

John Hughes is not getting nearly enough love in this thread.
Old 03-26-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by bralph
John Hughes is not getting nearly enough love in this thread.
Really like most of his movies but thought She's Having a Baby wasn't quite up there.
Old 03-26-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Really like most of his movies but thought She's Having a Baby wasn't quite up there.
Don't forget Curly Sue.
Old 03-26-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Could use IMDb ratings as an objective arbiter, i.e. under 6 on IMDb will almost always equal a poor movie. Could bump that up to 6.5 for slightly higher standard.
Old 03-26-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Don't forget Curly Sue.
I almost included that, but the girl is damn cute. But, alas, it is a lesser film compared to his others.
Old 03-26-19, 04:24 PM

Received 233 Likes on 170 Posts

Again, I have to agree with this. Threads like this end up being an exercise in futility unless everyone involved is using the same benchmarks/definitions for exactly what constitutes good and bad movies. As for a film being objectively great, anything that one can have an opinion on automatically takes that thing out of the realm of objectivity; however, if everyone were to agree that a film should be considered objectively good (or bad) if it meets certain strictly-defined criteria, then we could get places.

Here's a hypothetical example: let's say that we all agree that ONLY a film with a running time between 180 and 270 minutes, shot in color, starring an ex-professional football player, and filmed on Super 8mm film in Yugoslavia constitutes a "good" film. Now it's easy; which directors' entire filmographies fall within those parameters? The problem is that I doubt very seriously that all of us would agree to having those, or ANY, parameters set for defining a good film...and so it's back to "I think" and "I don't like."
Old 04-01-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

Park Chan-wook
Old 04-01-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Park Chan-wook

Not a fan of all his stuff, but from what I've seen none of it has been bad.
Old 04-01-19, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
...unless everyone involved is using the same benchmarks/definitions for exactly what constitutes good and bad movies.
There is no such thing as definitive, inarguable assessments of quality in art. It's subjective.
Old 04-01-19, 10:09 PM

Received 233 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
There is no such thing as definitive, inarguable assessments of quality in art. It's subjective.
I absolutely agree. Did you not read the rest of my post?
Old 04-01-19, 10:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Taking the rule noted above of nothing with an IMDB ranking under 6.5 I note the only director I could find was Orson Welles who has nothing under 7.0 amongst theatrical released films he directed (at least credited). If you include uncredited directorial work and some of his short fragments that does not apply but all his completed feature films including The Other Side of the Wind make the cut.
Old 04-02-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Cuaron yet. I haven't seen anything before Y tu mama tambien but everything since then has been stellar.
Old 04-02-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Great Expectations
Old 04-02-19, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I absolutely agree. Did you not read the rest of my post?
Not yesterday, though now that you mention it, I do think I read it in its entirety a few days ago. Yesterday I alighted on the quoted bit and thought, "Hey, universally-accepted qualitative measurements simply don't exist in film or other artforms!" One man's junk...
For instance, some people think Rothko's simplistic works are genius. I think they are absolute crap; little more than variously coloured rectangles, though his champions will write lengthy dissertations about their profound meaning.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.