Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Old 03-24-19, 10:12 PM
  #76  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,893
Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

As others have noted, it's incredibly rare that there's a filmmaker out there who hasn't made a bad movie, so this is more of a list of the most consistent directors:

Steve McQueen - One of the only filmmakers on this list that I actually feel hasn't made a bad movie yet (and I feel Shame is a masterpiece)...But give him time...
Martin McDonough - A previous poster pointed him out, and he's one of the few that I also feel has yet to make a bad movie...Love all three of his pictures...
Paul Thomas Anderson - Another one of the few that I feel hasn't yet made a "bad movie", even though I like Phantom Thread less than most...
John Carpenter - I like/love all of his movies, even those a lot of people feel are "clunkers"...His early fun of films is just stunning when you consider how many of them are now considered classics...
Gaspar Noe - I even enjoyed Love (but I haven't seen Climax yet)...
Nicholas Winding Refn - Still haven't seen Fear X, but I can't deny that I've loved every single movie he's made (slightly less so for The Neon Demon, but I still thought it was a really good movie)...
Andrea Arnold - Love all of her stuff, even the short films she's done...Wish she was more prolific but I know it usually takes time to come up with a quality movie...
Jeremy Saulnier - Not a bad movie yet...

Wes Anderson - I would've cited him but I hated, hated his last two movies (The Grand Budapest Hotel and Isle of Dogs)...He's off the list due to those movies...
Terrence Malick - Had he stopped with Tree of Life, he definitely would've made the cut...The the past couple of movies he made were self-indulgent pieces of crap...
David Lynch - Like others, I pretty much like his entire filmography with the exception of Inland Empire. I absolutely hated, hated that movie.
David Cronenberg - Love most of his stuff, but he's always hit or miss, it seems (i.e. didn't care for Fast Company, Cosmopolis, Dead Ringers, or Spider). He's made enough great movies to make up for those misfires, but I don't think one can argue that he hasn't made a "bad movie."
Quentin Tarantino - Narrowly misses the cut because, as others have pointed out, Death Proof. I didn't enjoy it in theatres and I haven't enjoyed the couple times I've rewatched it on Blu-Ray...I've pretty much loved everything else he's done, though...
Ingmar Bergman - Just about as perfect of a filmmaker as you'll ever witness, the only reason he's not making the cut is because I loathed A Serpent's Egg (although I also didn't have much time for Cries and Whispers). Aside from those two, I haven't seen a bad movie of his...
Warren Beatty - Aside from his last movie, his track record is pretty good...

Last edited by Goonies85; 03-24-19 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added thoughts
Old 03-25-19, 04:55 AM
  #77  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Hazel Motes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,519
Received 402 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by Goonies85
.John Carpenter - I like/love all of his movies, even those a lot of people feel are "clunkers"...His early fun of films is just stunning when you consider how many of them are now considered classics.
I love John Carpenter. And even though I think Dark Star, Ghosts of Mars and The Ward are bad films. I can let them slide. But there is just no defending his Masters of Horror film "Pro-Life". It's just an outright AWFUL film.
Old 03-25-19, 05:02 AM
  #78  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Hazel Motes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,519
Received 402 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Even the best directors who are reasonably prolific make films that are poor. Truffaut and Chabrol (whose films I much prefer overall) are two directors who were quite consistent in quality, but I did not like Truffaut's Small Change or Chabrol's Les Biches.
The only director I can think of who has not made a bad feature-length film is Victor Erice, but he only has three credits to his name over a 55-year career.
Jean Pierre Melville and Andrei Tarkovsky. Neither made a bad film. While not all were masterpieces, even their lesser films were still good. Definitely not bad films.
Old 03-25-19, 05:23 AM
  #79  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,311
Likes: 0
Received 4,685 Likes on 3,173 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Martin McDonagh. "In Bruges, "Seven Psychopaths" and "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri".
Originally Posted by Toddarino
So with a minimum of five feature films, what directors havenít made a bad film?
Old 03-25-19, 06:37 AM
  #80  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,649
Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Pretty much every director I like has bad movies on their resume, even Hayao Miyazaki (PONYO, anyone?). Granted, some of them, like Chang Cheh, Ishiro Honda, and John Ford, were incredibly prolific, turning out dozens of films in their long careers. Chang Cheh made around 90 films and I've seen 75 of them. In the old days, whether in Hollywood, Italy, Japan or Hong Kong, directors worked a lot, making multiple films a year. (Sergio Leone was a notable exception.) More recent directors work less frequently because film financing and industry demands have changed so much, so they have fewer chances to make complete stinkers. But at the same time, the "best" films from people like James Cameron, Christopher Nolan, Paul Thomas Anderson and Danny Boyle hold very little appeal to me. I won't say they make "bad" movies, though, because so many people respond positively to them. They clearly touch a chord with enough of an audience and enough critics to make them successful filmmakers. I'm just not a member of that audience. Tarantino is the only current Hollywood director I follow with enthusiasm, but his resume isn't blemish-free. (I'm in the DEATH PROOF-is-a-steaming-hot-pile-of-manure camp.)
Old 03-25-19, 09:06 AM
  #81  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 44,124
Received 2,817 Likes on 1,936 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Eastwood actually directed some really good stuff PRIOR to Million Dollar Baby. The Outlaw Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter, The Eiger Sanction, Pale Rider, Mystic River, and A Perfect World are all very good movies and Unforgiven is a masterpiece. Everything after MDB, though, feels like it came off of some sort of slick studio assembly line. Thereís no heart to any of them, including Gran Torino, which is incredibly overrated.
I could never get into The Unforgiven; for whatever reason, it bored me and Iíve never been able to finish it. I really like Pale Rider, though. I think it might be because I donít like westerns, and PR had an implied supernatural element that interested me. It just isnít me genre, and unless it does something really out of the box (like Deadwood) I canít really get into them. I probably should give Unforgiven another shot; I was a teenager when it came out, and now that Iím older I might get more out of it.

Mystic River wasnít bad, but itís not something I think Iíd watch again. Great cast, though.



Old 03-25-19, 09:15 AM
  #82  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,673
Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I love John Carpenter. And even though I think Dark Star, Ghosts of Mars and The Ward are bad films. I can let them slide. But there is just no defending his Masters of Horror film "Pro-Life". It's just an outright AWFUL film.
I can't let Escape From LA and Memoirs of an Invisible Man slide.
Old 03-25-19, 10:53 AM
  #83  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 44,124
Received 2,817 Likes on 1,936 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Carpenter has been on a pretty steady downward trajectory, though when you peak early with Halloween and The Thing, there’s really nowhere to go but down. See Lucas and Spielberg.

You have early-period Carpenter — Halloween, EFNY, The Fog*, The Thing

Then middle-period Carpenter — Christine, BTILC, Prince of Darkness, They Live, In the Mouth of Madness

And finally later period Carpenter — Village of the Damned, EFLA, Vampires*, Ghosts of Mars, The Ward

*The Fog and Vampires are more “middle period” Carpenter that sort of blurred into the other periods, but it still represents a steady downward trajectory.
Old 03-25-19, 11:16 AM
  #84  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13,007
Received 963 Likes on 734 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Laverne and Meathead, oops, I mean Penny Marshall and Rob Reiner. Well, that was until I did an IMDb check to see that Marshall made Jumping Jack Flash with Whoopi Goldberg, and Reiner made North. In Reiner's case, he could be forgiven for a flop after the incredible run of his first seven films: This is Spinal Tap, The Sure Thing, Stand By Me, The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally, Misery, and A Few Good Men.
Old 03-25-19, 11:52 AM
  #85  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,673
Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Darren Aronofsky
Old 03-25-19, 11:56 AM
  #86  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,673
Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Luis BuŮuel
Old 03-25-19, 12:43 PM
  #87  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: America!
Posts: 33,921
Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

I've been thinking about this all morning, and I really can't think of one. There are the sort of 'gimmick choices' like Laughton, people who only directed one or two movies and that's it, but other than that I'm drawing a blank. Now, I've never seen a Jean Renoir movie I thought was bad, and the same for Chaplin or Ozu. But those guys made tons of movies, and I haven't seen even close to half of them, so I can't say for sure. Bresson, Dreyer, Kubrick, and Malick come close I guess.
Old 03-25-19, 03:40 PM
  #88  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,893
Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I love John Carpenter. And even though I think Dark Star, Ghosts of Mars and The Ward are bad films. I can let them slide. But there is just no defending his Masters of Horror film "Pro-Life". It's just an outright AWFUL film.
Forgot about that one. You got me there. Even Ron Perlman was over the top in that one and didn't do that great of a job (albeit, the weak script did NOT help)...
Old 03-25-19, 03:41 PM
  #89  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,893
Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by inri222
Darren Aronofsky
I still can't get past NOAH...I thought that one was unbelievably bad...And I generally love Aronofsky's work...
Old 03-25-19, 03:59 PM
  #90  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Toddarino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northeastern Wisconsin
Posts: 4,513
Received 855 Likes on 559 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Guess this is more of a question than suggestion, but what about George Roy Hil? I’ve only seen seven of his films though.
Old 03-25-19, 04:12 PM
  #91  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,583
Received 6,370 Likes on 4,359 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Guess this is more of a question than suggestion, but what about George Roy Hil? Iíve only seen seven of his films though.
Good suggestion. I've only seen 8 of them but liked every one (and that includes Funny Farm -- I think it's a super-underrated 80s comedy).
Old 03-25-19, 04:53 PM
  #92  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tommyp007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 6,422
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

David Fincher.
Old 03-25-19, 05:09 PM
  #93  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Finisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,809
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by inri222
Luis BuŮuel
You liked The Milky Way? Really?
Old 03-25-19, 05:11 PM
  #94  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Finisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,809
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Guess this is more of a question than suggestion, but what about George Roy Hil? Iíve only seen seven of his films though.
Funny Farm is pretty poor. Period of Adjustment is generic, but I guess not truly bad.
Old 03-25-19, 05:28 PM
  #95  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,583
Received 6,370 Likes on 4,359 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by Finisher
Funny Farm is pretty poor.
Not only do I disagree with you, so do the movie gods themselves.
Old 03-25-19, 08:45 PM
  #96  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20,047
Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Jean Pierre Melville and Andrei Tarkovsky. Neither made a bad film. While not all were masterpieces, even their lesser films were still good. Definitely not bad films.
Again, I haven't seen it in a couple of decades, but to me The Sacrifice felt like ersatz Tarkovsky; a poor imitation made by someone else. I also didn't love The Mirror or My Name is Ivan, but neither was poor.
As for Melville, Le Dieuxieme Souffle was bad. And I'm not talking about the filmmaking. People like Melville, Tarkovsky, and Bresson are among the most exquisite cinematic technicians in film history, but with a substandard screenplay all the technical proficiency in the world is for naught.
Old 03-25-19, 08:55 PM
  #97  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,893
Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by Decker
Good suggestion. I've only seen 8 of them but liked every one (and that includes Funny Farm -- I think it's a super-underrated 80s comedy).
Funny Farm is my favorite Chevy Chase movie. I love that movie, and also feel it's underrated...I especially love the crazy Postman...
Old 03-25-19, 09:10 PM
  #98  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,021
Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man


I could never get into The Unforgiven; for whatever reason, it bored me and Iíve never been able to finish



I think this points to the futility of this thread. What constitutes good and bad? I have the opinion that Unforgiven is objectively great. One of the best Westerns ever. But seeing as that feeling is not universal that makes my opinion subjective. Tarantino is mentioned a lot and he made what I feel is one of the best movies of all time in Pulp Piction, but I think his last two films are terrible self indulgent crap.

Too many factors in what makes a film good or bad for each person so the list just winds up being "who is your favorite director"
Old 03-25-19, 09:17 PM
  #99  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,021
Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

Originally Posted by Goonies85
As others have noted, it's incredibly rare that there's a filmmaker out there who hasn't made a bad movie, so this is more of a list of the most consistent directors:

Steve McQueen - One of the only filmmakers on this list that I actually feel hasn't made a bad movie yet (and I feel Shame is a masterpiece)...But give him time...
Martin McDonough - A previous poster pointed him out, and he's one of the few that I also feel has yet to make a bad movie...Love all three of his pictures...
Paul Thomas Anderson - Another one of the few that I feel hasn't yet made a "bad movie", even though I like Phantom Thread less than most...
John Carpenter - I like/love all of his movies, even those a lot of people feel are "clunkers"...His early fun of films is just stunning when you consider how many of them are now considered classics...
Gaspar Noe - I even enjoyed Love (but I haven't seen Climax yet)...
Nicholas Winding Refn - Still haven't seen Fear X, but I can't deny that I've loved every single movie he's made (slightly less so for The Neon Demon, but I still thought it was a really good movie)...
Andrea Arnold - Love all of her stuff, even the short films she's done...Wish she was more prolific but I know it usually takes time to come up with a quality movie...
Jeremy Saulnier - Not a bad movie yet...

Wes Anderson - I would've cited him but I hated, hated his last two movies (The Grand Budapest Hotel and Isle of Dogs)...He's off the list due to those movies...
Terrence Malick - Had he stopped with Tree of Life, he definitely would've made the cut...The the past couple of movies he made were self-indulgent pieces of crap...
David Lynch - Like others, I pretty much like his entire filmography with the exception of Inland Empire. I absolutely hated, hated that movie.
David Cronenberg - Love most of his stuff, but he's always hit or miss, it seems (i.e. didn't care for Fast Company, Cosmopolis, Dead Ringers, or Spider). He's made enough great movies to make up for those misfires, but I don't think one can argue that he hasn't made a "bad movie."
Quentin Tarantino - Narrowly misses the cut because, as others have pointed out, Death Proof. I didn't enjoy it in theatres and I haven't enjoyed the couple times I've rewatched it on Blu-Ray...I've pretty much loved everything else he's done, though...
Ingmar Bergman - Just about as perfect of a filmmaker as you'll ever witness, the only reason he's not making the cut is because I loathed A Serpent's Egg (although I also didn't have much time for Cries and Whispers). Aside from those two, I haven't seen a bad movie of his...
Warren Beatty - Aside from his last movie, his track record is pretty good...
Death Proof is far better than Hateful Eight or Django Unchained IMO, but it is only opinion. I believe that if Hateful Eight were made by some random director it would win Razzies.
Old 03-25-19, 10:57 PM
  #100  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Hazel Motes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,519
Received 402 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: The Directors Who Havenít Made A Bad Movie Club

While for me, The Hateful Eight is the best film he's made since Jackie Brown. A film that falls just short of greatness.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.