Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Unicorn Store (2019, D: Larson) S: Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackon, Bradley Whitford, Joan Cusack - Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Unicorn Store (2019, D: Larson) S: Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackon, Bradley Whitford, Joan Cusack - Netflix

Old 03-22-19, 12:28 PM

A woman named Kit receives a mysterious invitation that would fulfill her childhood dreams. Directed by and starring Brie Larson. Watch Unicorn Store April 5 on Netflix!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2338454

68% currently on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/unicorn_store

This was shot after Kong / before Captain Marvel.
Old 03-22-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Unicorn Store (2019, D: Larson) S: Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackon, Bradley Whitford, Joan Cusack - Net

I'll say it... this looks awful and looks to totally capitalize on Captain Marvel. You couldn't pay me to watch this.
Old 03-22-19, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Unicorn Store (2019, D: Larson) S: Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackon, Bradley Whitford, Joan Cusack - Net

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I'll say it... this looks awful and looks to totally capitalize on Captain Marvel. You couldn't pay me to watch this.
This was shot in 2016 and first shown in 2017, it's being released now for the free promotion of having those two in -- and by Netflix because nobody else wanted to distribute it.

Apparently Larson went the Cretton route with directing and it doesn't mesh well with the material.
Old 03-22-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This looks truly terrible.
Old 03-22-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did she and SLJ make a pact to appear in each other's movies for a certain time period? Interesting that after winning the Oscar most of Larson's work has been what would be straight to video fare back in the day. This looks like something a video store would have playing on its system for no other reason than the fact that no one was renting it.
Old 03-25-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kinda wondered what happened to this after it fizzled out at TIFF a couple years ago. Should've guessed it would be dumped on Netflix when they could time it to something bigger. Even looking at the fest outline back then, the whole concept seemed so twee as to be unbearable.
Old 03-25-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the Trailer
Old 03-25-19, 08:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

I did too. But I would watch anything with Brie, but this does look good. Whimsical and fun...
Old 03-25-19, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
I liked the Trailer

Same. I donít get the early crap-on this is getting here. But I could probably like her doing anything.
Old 03-26-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Same. I donít get the early crap-on this is getting here. But I could probably like her doing anything.
I wouldn't say it's an "early" crap-on. The film got crapped on two years ago, which is partly why it's been off the radar until now. That's not to say there weren't critics that liked it, because there were.
Old 03-26-19, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Interesting that after winning the Oscar most of Larson's work has been what would be straight to video fare back in the day.
Not really. Truth be told, the only work she has actually been doing since the Oscar was Kong (which she was almost wrapped with by the time of the awards), The Glass Castle (reunion with a director she will now have done 3 movies with), Unicorn Store (getting her chance to direct before her life blows up) and all the Marvel stuff which seemingly took up the last two and a half years of her life.

Freefire was wrapped in 2015. That Basmati Blues movie was delayed for years and tried to market her name after the Oscar.

This was part of a two picture deal with Netflix. She will most likely be directing another movie for them. https://deadline.com/2019/01/brie-la...rn-1202546364/

Last edited by dex14; 03-26-19 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
I wouldn't say it's an "early" crap-on. The film got crapped on two years ago, which is partly why it's been off the radar until now. That's not to say there weren't critics that liked it, because there were.
Just going by the four day thread creation of this thread and comments here, thought that was obvious, but I guess not.
Old 04-05-19, 05:38 AM

This is up today.
Old 04-10-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this earlier today.

The script is clunky but I appreciated the film's theme of optimism in a time of constant cynicism.

There were some scenes in the film I very much enjoyed including
Spoiler:
Kit's Presentation at her office as well as the initial reveal when Kit takes Virgil to the Unicorn Store.
Old 04-10-19, 07:00 PM

It was ok but forgettable. I'd be interested in seeing her next directorial effort though.

Phantom Planet is one of my all-time favorite band's and their singer (and Brie's ex-fiance), Alex Greenwald, did the music for it. So it was nice to get some new music from him.
Old 04-12-19, 02:30 PM

I liked it. Nothing spectacular, but charming and mostly funny.