DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Unicorn Store (2019, D: Larson) S: Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackon, Bradley Whitford, Joan Cusack - Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/647172-unicorn-store-2019-d-larson-s-brie-larson-samuel-l-jackon-bradley-whitford-joan-cusack-netflix.html)

dex14 03-22-19 12:28 PM

Unicorn Store (2019, D: Larson) S: Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackon, Bradley Whitford, Joan Cusack - Netflix

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...30fc415ea7.jpg

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r_51UsTDBAE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A woman named Kit receives a mysterious invitation that would fulfill her childhood dreams. Directed by and starring Brie Larson. Watch Unicorn Store April 5 on Netflix!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2338454

68% currently on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/unicorn_store

This was shot after Kong / before Captain Marvel.

Rob V 03-22-19 01:11 PM

Re: Unicorn Store (2019, D: Larson) S: Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackon, Bradley Whitford, Joan Cusack - Net

I'll say it... this looks awful and looks to totally capitalize on Captain Marvel. You couldn't pay me to watch this.

RichC2 03-22-19 01:17 PM

Re: Unicorn Store (2019, D: Larson) S: Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackon, Bradley Whitford, Joan Cusack - Net

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13521043)
I'll say it... this looks awful and looks to totally capitalize on Captain Marvel. You couldn't pay me to watch this.

This was shot in 2016 and first shown in 2017, it's being released now for the free promotion of having those two in -- and by Netflix because nobody else wanted to distribute it.

Apparently Larson went the Cretton route with directing and it doesn't mesh well with the material.

DVD Josh 03-22-19 01:41 PM

This looks truly terrible.

Dr. DVD 03-22-19 03:47 PM

Did she and SLJ make a pact to appear in each other's movies for a certain time period? Interesting that after winning the Oscar most of Larson's work has been what would be straight to video fare back in the day. This looks like something a video store would have playing on its system for no other reason than the fact that no one was renting it.

Brian T 03-25-19 11:07 AM

Kinda wondered what happened to this after it fizzled out at TIFF a couple years ago. Should've guessed it would be dumped on Netflix when they could time it to something bigger. Even looking at the fest outline back then, the whole concept seemed so twee as to be unbearable.

asianxcore 03-25-19 07:53 PM

I liked the Trailer :shrug:

OldBoy 03-25-19 08:20 PM

I did too. But I would watch anything with Brie, but this does look good. Whimsical and fun...

Brack 03-25-19 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 13522778)
I liked the Trailer :shrug:

Same. I don’t get the early crap-on this is getting here. But I could probably like her doing anything.

Brian T 03-26-19 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Brack (Post 13522849)
Same. I don’t get the early crap-on this is getting here. But I could probably like her doing anything.

I wouldn't say it's an "early" crap-on. The film got crapped on two years ago, which is partly why it's been off the radar until now. That's not to say there weren't critics that liked it, because there were.

dex14 03-26-19 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 13521122)
Interesting that after winning the Oscar most of Larson's work has been what would be straight to video fare back in the day.

Not really. Truth be told, the only work she has actually been doing since the Oscar was Kong (which she was almost wrapped with by the time of the awards), The Glass Castle (reunion with a director she will now have done 3 movies with), Unicorn Store (getting her chance to direct before her life blows up) and all the Marvel stuff which seemingly took up the last two and a half years of her life.

Freefire was wrapped in 2015. That Basmati Blues movie was delayed for years and tried to market her name after the Oscar.

This was part of a two picture deal with Netflix. She will most likely be directing another movie for them. https://deadline.com/2019/01/brie-la...rn-1202546364/

Brack 03-26-19 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 13523089)
I wouldn't say it's an "early" crap-on. The film got crapped on two years ago, which is partly why it's been off the radar until now. That's not to say there weren't critics that liked it, because there were.

Just going by the four day thread creation of this thread and comments here, thought that was obvious, but I guess not.

dex14 04-05-19 05:38 AM

This is up today.

asianxcore 04-10-19 06:44 PM

Saw this earlier today.

The script is clunky but I appreciated the film's theme of optimism in a time of constant cynicism.

There were some scenes in the film I very much enjoyed including
Spoiler:
Kit's Presentation at her office as well as the initial reveal when Kit takes Virgil to the Unicorn Store.

dex14 04-10-19 07:00 PM

It was ok but forgettable. I'd be interested in seeing her next directorial effort though.

Phantom Planet is one of my all-time favorite band's and their singer (and Brie's ex-fiance), Alex Greenwald, did the music for it. So it was nice to get some new music from him.

Brack 04-12-19 02:30 PM

I liked it. Nothing spectacular, but charming and mostly funny.

JeffTheAlpaca 06-02-19 09:05 AM

Wow I thought this was great because it was different and a oddball comedy which I liked and not bad for a Netflix movie.

Alex Greenwald and Brie broke up.

Spoiler:
The scene where they pitch the vacuum campaign with glitter :lol:

asianxcore 06-02-19 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13559242)
Spoiler:
The scene where they pitch the vacuum campaign with glitter :lol:

That scene was so funny :lol:

I re-watched the film a few weeks ago, screening it in one of the High School classes I teach. It went over very well!

JeffTheAlpaca 06-02-19 06:02 PM

LOL

I thought I was watching a good or great movie and maybe a cult movie until I came to this thread and read the reviews online.