Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shazam! (Sandberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Shazam! (Sandberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
8.89%
22.22%
31.11%
20.00%
13.33%
0%
4.44%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-19, 06:57 AM

**SPOILERS WITHIN - PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS AN EARLY ACCESS SCREENING OF THIS FILM TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE OFFICIAL RELEASE**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Shazam!" (Starring: Zachary Levi, Jack Dylan Grazer, Asher Angel, Mark Strong)

Release Date:
4/5/19 with Early Screenings on 3/23/19

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense sequences of action, language, and suggestive material)

Running Time:
132 minutes

Budget:
$100 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out. In Billy Batson's case, by shouting out one word - SHAZAM! - this streetwise 14-year-old foster kid can turn into the adult superhero Shazam.

IMDb Info and Rating:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448115/

Rotten Tomatoes:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/shazam

Metacritic:
https://www.metacritic.com/movie/shazam!

Trailer:

Poster Art:

Old 03-22-19, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Shazam! (Sandberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Seeing tomorrow. Review to follow.
Old 03-22-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Seeing it tomorrow as well.

I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 03-22-19, 05:35 PM

Ditto.
Old 03-23-19, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Me too!
Old 03-23-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

same here
Old 03-23-19, 06:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

97% with 32 votes
Old 03-23-19, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good movie, but definitely NOT for younger kids. Still working on my review, but my Notes To Parents is one of the longest I've ever done....
Old 03-23-19, 07:16 PM

Overall, I enjoyed it. Nothing groundbreaking plotwise. Got some good laughs, though majority of the humor is pretty broad. I think this is going play really well with general audiences. It is not THAT kid friendly though.

I LOVED the ending with the foster family. I'm glad nothing about that was shown in trailers. Nice touch casting Adam Brody and DJ Cotrona of the cancelled Justice League: Mortal film.

Oh, and John Glover!

The rumored Sup cameo scene is true. I think it worked better with just showing from the neck down. Annabelle also makes a cameo, so this is in the Conjuring verse too!

Two post credits scenes. The end credit one was funny.

Last edited by dex14; 03-23-19 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Merry Christmas, ThunderCrack!

I thought it was middle of the road. The meeting back with the mother seemed forced. I get that it was supposed to make him realize that his new family is his real family, but the story to get there was 'meh'.

Started out rather slow, mostly because a lot of the jokes that are in the trailers occur during that time. I thought the casting was good and well acted. The baddie never seemed like much of a threat, probably because we saw his weakness early on, and pretty much knew how it was going to turn out. Call out to Big in the toy store was a nice touch.

I welcome a sequel now that the characters are established. The actors did a good job with the character chemistry.

Last edited by The Cow; 03-23-19 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno View Post
Good movie, but definitely NOT for younger kids. Still working on my review, but my Notes To Parents is one of the longest I've ever done....
Not that I care too much as I don’t have kids, but that surprises me. Seems light-hearted and somewhat geared towards a younger audience from the previews.
Old 03-23-19, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

SHAZAM! - PG-13 - Heart and laughs compensate for a complicated and almost overlong final battle in a mostly great superhero origin movie that focuses on family

SHAZAM!’s comic origins go back several decades to 1939, as the original Billy Batson and his alter-ego Captain Marvel made his their first appearance in WHIZ Comics #2. However, you will not hear the name “Captain Marvel” uttered at all, thanks to Marvel Comics, in this modern retelling of the ultimate wish fulfillment story. In fact, one of the ongoing gags in this very funny and mostly engaging addition to DC’s cinematic universe is that our hero and his buddy can never settle on a definitive heroic name.

The film’s opening, set in 1974, outlines the beginning of a dark path for Thaddeus Sivana, the film’s villain (an appropriately menacing Mark Strong), who is first given the opportunity to be a force for good by the ancient wizard Shazam (Dijon Housou). He doesn’t have what it takes, but instead is attracted to the power offered by demons representing the Seven Deadly Sins.

Flash forward to the present, and we are introduced to Billy Batson (Asher Angel), a street smart teen who’s willing to go to any lengths to find his birth mother after becoming separated from her when he was three. We learn he’s run away from nearly two dozen foster homes, and is about to be placed with another. The latest set of foster parents are kind and caring, and he is paired with a new roommate, disabled Freddy (a scene-stealing Jack Dylan Grazer), who is a walking encyclopedia of superhero knowledge and lore.

Billy comes to Freddy’s rescue when he is set upon by bullies at school. When the bullies turn their attention to Billy, he runs into the subway to escape. The wizard Shazam, still searching to a champion of good, offers Billy the chance to take on the role. Billy accepts, and with the word SHAZAM, is transformed into the impossibly buff Zachary Levi. Billy, not knowing how to deal with the powers that come with this new role, must turn to his new friend Freddy to learn about his powers, even as Dr. Sivana learns of this new champion and seeks to take his powers from him.

SHAZAM!, directed by David F. Sandberg (Annabelle: Creation), is, for the most part, a fun, heartfelt and welcome look at just what makes a superhero. It is also a terrific family drama that manages to bring the feels, even when the superheroics, and Billy’s self-centeredness, begin to strain the goodwill we’re willing to give the movie. Also, while the trailers make SHAZAM! look like a movie for all ages, the PG-13 rating is well-deserved, with creatures, themes and scenes that are definitely not intended for audiences under 10 or 11.

Add to that an action-packed final third that taxes our patience even as it brings some surprises that make us want to cheer, and SHAZAM! begins to lose its balance a bit. Still, it’s overall a very fun ride, and generally worth the effort. I’m giving SHAZAM! 3.5 lightsabers out of 5.

NOTES TO PARENTS (Some Potential Spoilers): SHAZAM! is rated PG-13 for fantasy comic book action mayhem, some genuinely scary and disturbing scenes, language, and some crude and suggestive humor. There is PG-rated profanity throughout the film, from both adults and kids. Most scenes involving Dr. Sivana, his origin, and the demons that personify the Seven Deadly Sins can be extremely dark and disturbing. A terrifying car wreck during the film’s opening sets a young Sivana on a dark path. A three-year-old Billy is separated from his mother at a carnival in a flashback. When we first meet teen Billy, he is engaged in less-than-desired behavior that involves fooling the police. Bullies target Freddy several times during the movie, and Billy comes to his rescue in a critical scene. Two characters turn to ash. In his superhero form, Billy buys beer for Freddy and himself but discover they don’t like it. Robbers shoot at Billy several times, and we see the bullets bounce off of him. Dr. Sivana shows up at a board meeting at his family’s company, and many people are killed as he unleashes the demons that give him his power. The scene is very shocking and scary, though no blood or gore is shown. Billy tests his limits as an “adult” by going into a gentlemen’s club (the inside of the club is not shown), and Freddy asks him if he saw any “boobies”. The outside of the gentlemen’s club is shown again later in the movie. Billy endangers a bus full of people due to showing off. Sivana and his demons threaten Billy’s foster family, and then many people at a Christmas-themed carnival. A department store Santa describe the carnival incident in a heavily bleeped TV news report..

MID- and AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: The mid-credits scene sets up a potential sequel as an imprisoned Dr. Sivana meets a potential ally. The end-credits scene is an amusing bit as Freddy and Billy continue to document Billy’s powers.

LIKE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES, and SHARE it with family and friends.

ORB-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under Creative Commons.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 03-23-19 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved it. Was it the be all, end all Captain Marvel/Shazam movie? Probably not, but it was still pretty damn fun. You could tell that this was a property done by people who had a fondness for the character with all the references(Fawcett HS, Bill's dad being named CC, Mister Mind and the Crocodile Men) and surprisingly the humor works pretty well, and it doesn't depend on making the characters be buffoons(see Fury, Nick in Captain Marvel). If your a comic fan, this was heavily inspired by the New 52 Geoff Johns relaunch. A lot of people have compared this to Big, but I thought it reminded me more of Ghostbusters( scary monster designs that are still fun, and humor coming from the situations with the audience being the straight men). I also thought it was refreshing to see a movie that doesn't give everything away in the trailers, and has some surprises for the audience.
The only real gripes I had were not enough Mary Marvel, and the fact that they made Dr. Sivana basically just a stand in for Black Adam, probably due to not being able to have The Rock commit. Really this movie shows that the idea of a DCEU still has some legs to it, and hopefully they don't abandon it. I'm giving it a 4.5/5. Highly recommended, though this being DVDTALK I am firmly anticipating all the posts saying the movie was too cornball and not serious enough.
Old 03-23-19, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I loved it. It was really fun, had a great amount of laughs and had so much charm. Very wise move by DC to make this more light hearted and fun. Zach Levi was great as Shazam! Never thought I could see him as a big screen superhero, especially after Chuck, but it worked here.

The kids were a good supporting cast and I liked the transformation to the Shazam family. Nice to see Michelle Borth hit the big screen after being on TV so long. Mark Strong was a good villain.

I at the Superman "cameo" that was a clever way to do it.

4 1/2 starts out of 5 from me and an A- A few scary scenes that might be too intense for really young kids, but IMO great for the entire family.
Old 03-23-19, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

Not that I care too much as I don’t have kids, but that surprises me. Seems light-hearted and somewhat geared towards a younger audience from the previews.
It is very kid-centric, but there is some monster violence and some language.
Old 03-23-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

10/10 loved it. Theater I was in seemed to enjoy it a lot as well .Lots of laughs. One kid did yell about the monsters being scary. Supes cameo was a good touch. And Mr Mind!
Old 03-23-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bring on the damn sequel... That was fantastic!!!! The crowd at the drafthouse loved it, especially with the Shazam family.
Old 03-24-19, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got back and I loved it! It's way better than Captain Marvel but I'd still rank it #3 out of Aquaman and Wonder Woman. Someone mentioned the humor being pretty broad and that's really why it works overall. I initially thought the humor was going to be all "kiddie" but was pleasantly surprised. It also had plenty of heart. My theater clapped when they all transformed.
Old 03-24-19, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved the nod to Big
Old 03-24-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The preview yesterday was apparently very successful.

Old 03-24-19, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed it. I'll admit that I'm a bit biased because Shazam is one of my favorite superheroes but the film did justice to the character. The beginning was a little slow but once he was adult and in costume, the picture really took off. The final act went a bit long
Spoiler:
and I'm surprised they brought in the Marvel Family so soon. Figured that would be sequel bait.
But I loved that moment.

And the mid-credits scene! I have honestly been waiting for that character to appear on the big screen since I was a child. I was beside myself the second I heard the voice. Confused the hell out of the audience.

It was a lot of fun (as it should have been). It was everything I wanted in an OG Captain Marvel movie.
Old 03-25-19, 07:29 PM

Loved it. Can’t wait to see it again.
Old 03-25-19, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved every minute of this movie. I don’t think I would change a thing.

And the story had a lot of heart - more than any of the previous DC movies, with the possible exception of Aquaman.

I can’t wait for the next installment.
Old 03-27-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have been thinking about the "scary bits" I referenced in my review. I am going to say that they were pretty much on par with Steppenwolf's attack on Star Labs in "Justice League" and the trench dive in Aquaman. If your kids handled those, then it would be a shame if your kids missed out of the rest of Shazam! just because of the PG-13 rating.
Old 04-01-19, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That was one goddamn fun movie. Wondercon had a screening and the main cast (Levi, Strong and the 2 kids) showed up after their panel to introduce the flick. A fuckin' good time.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.