Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shazam! (Sandberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Shazam! (Sandberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
9.26%
20.37%
31.48%
22.22%
11.11%
0%
5.56%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Shazam! (Sandberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 04-24-19, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Shazam! (Sandberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Has Johnson ever even played a villain type character? I think he’ll be able to pull off a villain as he was able to play a heel pretty well in WWF/E, but I think he’s always played more of the hero character in his movie career.
Old 04-24-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, Johnson himself would have been great as Captain Marvel or Superman. He has the look and build for a Black Adam as well, but it would be a switch to seem him play a villain role. The only that I know of was the Scorpion King, and that was only as a PS1 graphic.

If they make Black Adam a streotypical villain in a Shazam sequel, I don't think that would play to Johnson's strengths. But if they make him closer to the 52 Adam, someone who believes he's doing what's right and what is necessary while also being more charismatic than Levi's Marvel, then I think Johnson would shine in that capacity. A noble and likable Black Adam who believes that the Wizard Shazam betrayed him and allowed the world to fall into chaos and corruption, versus a bunch of children who don't understand the full power and responsibility they've been granted (according to Adam).
Old 04-24-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
streotypical villain in a Shazam sequel, I don't think that would play to Johnson's strengths. But if they make him closer to the 52 Adam, someone who believes he's doing what's right and what is necessary while also being more charismatic than Levi's Marvel, then I think Johnson would shine in that capacity. A noble and likable Black Adam who believes that the Wizard Shazam betrayed him and allowed the world to fall into chaos and corruption, versus a bunch of children who don't understand the full power and responsibility they've been granted (according to Adam).

52 Adam is the Black Adam I LOVE. His version of Justice is extreme. But that BA would change the tone of Shazam a lot. Not that that's a bad thing as the Shazam films mature, but people will bitch and moan.
Old 06-29-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was a good mix of super hero and adventures in babysitting, really well done overall and enjoyed it a lot.
Old 06-30-19, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For what it was, a kid oriented superhero movie, i thought it was quite well done and enjoyable to watch

But i doubt i would rewatch it. And i don't see how the Shazam character with it's kid oriented tone could fit into the wider DC movieverse

If it's not intended to, that's a fault of DC, they can't afford to not have every movie portrayed DC character in the same movieverse

I mean even the serious kill scenes like brother being thrown out of a skyscarper window and people getting heads bitten off felt childish
Old 06-30-19, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

They can’t afford that? A this point I think they’re better off making good movies than worrying about how it all fits into a broader universe.

That’s kind of how DC Comics started. They had a bunch of characters that got popular, then stuck them together. They did this despite the fact that the individual series had weird conflicts, like Superman and Aquaman having differing versions of Atlantis.
Old 07-01-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond View Post
And i don't see how the Shazam character with it's kid oriented tone could fit into the wider DC movieverse

If it's not intended to, that's a fault of DC, they can't afford to not have every movie portrayed DC character in the same movieverse
They absolutely can. This isn't supposed to be a constrained universe anymore; they are pushing to just do good individual movies that "loosely" fit into a connected world.

And if Aquaman and Shazam! are any indication, they're succeeding
Old 07-01-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
They absolutely can. This isn't supposed to be a constrained universe anymore; they are pushing to just do good individual movies that "loosely" fit into a connected world.

And if Aquaman and Shazam! are any indication, they're succeeding
Yeah. The DC cinematic universe seems like it’s going the way of Pre-Crisis DC comics. Multiple Earths and all that. I’m excited about it. More freedom for directors and more variety for audiences.
Old 07-01-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah. The DC cinematic universe seems like it’s going the way of Pre-Crisis DC comics. Multiple Earths and all that. I’m excited about it. More freedom for directors and more variety for audiences.
? I'd say the exact opposite, it's not like Shazam exists in another Earth, they went out of their way to show Batman and especially Superman exist here. Aquaman exists in the same universe as Justice League, even with the weird way they have Mera meet him again. It would be beyond stupid to not link Black Adam. They may not go with tight continuity but they are clearly keeping them linked.
Old 07-01-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
? I'd say the exact opposite, it's not like Shazam exists in another Earth, they went out of their way to show Batman and especially Superman exist here. Aquaman exists in the same universe as Justice League, even with the weird way they have Mera meet him again. It would be beyond stupid to not link Black Adam. They may not go with tight continuity but they are clearly keeping them linked.
True. But Pre-Crisis DC was like that too. You had a Earth 1 Superman and a Earth 2 Superman. Katar Hol was in the JLI and like a year later he’s coming to Earth for the first time. And we’re going to have two different Jokers.

Old 07-01-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Batman, Superman and Aquaman all exist within the Shazam! film.
Old 07-01-19, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Batman, Superman and Aquaman all exist within the Shazam! film.
Oh, was Aquaman referenced besides the little cartoon in the end credits? I don't remember. The point is, it's the same universe and it would be really stupid of them to blatantly contradict that instead of just reference it when they need to. I don't really understand the two jokers part, though.
Old 07-01-19, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They mock Aquaman's powers in the movie but I don't recall if they acknowledge him as existing.
Old 07-01-19, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
They mock Aquaman's powers in the movie but I don't recall if they acknowledge him as existing.
Freddy also wore an Aquaman shirt with the logo from Justice League.

Last edited by devilshalo; 07-01-19 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Guys, it's really simple.

Shazam exists in a DC Universe. There's Superman (obviously), Batman, all the characters. They're just not locked into a continuity per se. They use what they like, discard what doesn't work, and move on.

Quite frankly, I prefer that over the "shared" universe with the tight continuity. Marvel did it brilliantly but that was planned out over time, many many years, and a single creative vision. I'd rather DC diversify into doing their own things and letting their characters breathe on their own.
Old 07-04-19, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is amusing.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-14-19 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-13-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Second viewing and my feelings pretty much remain the same. Fun moments and Zachary Levi was very good in the leading role and although not terribly memorable, Mark Strong made for a fine villain, that said, some of the humor wasn't for me, although I did enjoy some of director David F. Sandberg's more horror-centric style shined through with the Seven Deadly Sins. 3.5/5
Old 07-14-19, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
This is amusing.

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 07-15-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing that.
Although it was weird that the guy sounds an awful lot like Kevin Spacey.
Old 07-16-19, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That video was great. Really fun to see them working that stuff out.

And I never noticed their awesome snowman

Old 07-21-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really wanted to like this but I don’t think I did. It just didn’t click for me.

The bad:
-My biggest issue is that this just felt way to “TV” for me. It felt like I was watching a TV movie from the CW. Not taking anything away from Zachary Levi’s performance, he was good for the most part but he just doesn’t have that silver screen presence...yet. Someday he might but right now I just didn’t see it. Add to that, tv veterans like Adam Brody and John Glover, who we watched on Smallville for 10 years playing a similar character, and the VERY tv show solution to not landing a big name actor for a cameo, it just had too much of a small screen feel.

-The foster family was about as clichéd as is gets. You had the nerdy Asian kid, the sassy, overly talkative black girl, the overweight, quiet Hispanic kid, the way-too-witty handicapped kid, and the cute, long haired “girl next door” white girl. It looked like they plucked that cast right off the set for Sesame Street. I never read the comics so that may be the make-up of the family of superheroes but it still felt forced.

-Superman. Either have Cavill or don’t have the cameo. I also felt like with the widely publicized antics of a new superhero in town, Superman would have made an appearance earlier on to check out the new guy. Not that I want DC copying everything Marvel but they could have set up a similar Mentor/protege storyline as Tony Stark and Peter Parker in Homecoming and it would have been a little more realistic plot wise.

-I thought they set it up that Shazam was only a role for a person who’s pure of heart but we see Billy acting like a delinquent when he gets the role and it sort of felt like the wizard decided to hand off Shazam powers to the next fool that walked through his door. Ultimately we see Billy realize who his real family is but we never see if he’s pure of heart or not.

-The soundtrack. I don’t think they could have created a less memorable score if they tried.

The Good:

- I liked the tone of the movie. I don’t necessarily like the dark and gritty tone of other DC films. I also don’t think they all need to be light and breezy either but the lighter tone worked well here.

-Mark Strong. He was basically the only “big screen” actor in the movie and he played the role as well as he could, I think Strong is always a welcome presence in movies.
Old 07-21-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

-I thought they set it up that Shazam was only a role for a person who’s pure of heart but we see Billy acting like a delinquent when he gets the role and it sort of felt like the wizard decided to hand off Shazam powers to the next fool that walked through his door. Ultimately we see Billy realize who his real family is but we never see if he’s pure of heart or not.

We discussed this earlier in the thread but it's odd how Shazam Billy seems so much more kid-like than actual kid Billy... I can't tell if it was the script or the actor or what.
Old 07-21-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We discussed this earlier in the thread but it's odd how Shazam Billy seems so much more kid-like than actual kid Billy... I can't tell if it was the script or the actor or what.
Yeah, I quickly read through the thread before I posted. That was just one thing that stuck out to me. I agree about grown up Billy acting more childlike than kid Billy. The two actors could have worked together a little more off screen to decide how the character was going to behave.
Old 07-22-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

Yeah, I quickly read through the thread before I posted. That was just one thing that stuck out to me. I agree about grown up Billy acting more childlike than kid Billy. The two actors could have worked together a little more off screen to decide how the character was going to behave.
I think Big has that same problem - Hanks acts a lot younger than the kid.
Old 07-22-19, 12:32 PM

I've often thought that about amy of those kind of movies. Freaky Friday, Vice Versa, etc.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.