Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shazam! (Sandberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Shazam! (Sandberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
9.26%
20.37%
31.48%
22.22%
11.11%
0%
5.56%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Shazam! (Sandberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 04-22-19, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Shazam! (Sandberg, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I just took it that when he killed the scientist that’s basically his full turn into a villain so he just didn’t care anymore. She helped him figure out what he needed to know with the symbols and he no longer needed her.

My bigger issue is still more with his backstory and how he came to be. Particularly his dad I just felt was too mean spirited towards him without real reason.
Old 04-22-19, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Why can't you guys accept the reason his father gave... in the actual film? Have none of you been around boys/men whose fathers thought they were weak? Losers? Nerds? Crazy? Felt they would amount to nothing? Or who blamed their sons for the shitty lives? Those Fathers create sociopaths, maladjusted men, and angry men.

Why does that need more than what was given? Had they given more you guys would likely complain there was too much about the Dr....
Old 04-22-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Why can't you guys accept the reason his father gave... in the actual film? Have none of you been around boys/men whose fathers thought they were weak? Losers? Nerds? Crazy? Felt they would amount to nothing? Or who blamed their sons for the shitty lives? Those Fathers create sociopaths, maladjusted men, and angry men.

Why does that need more than what was given? Had they given more you guys would likely complain there was too much about the Dr....
That's exactly what I said though...
Old 04-22-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
That's exactly what I said though...

I read your post. My post was also to those who needed more...
Old 04-22-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read your post. My post was also to those who needed more...
I guess I missed where his dad felt that way about him. It felt like the brother was just being a dick and the dad was like another bully just going with it. No doubt what you said happens though. It wasn’t a big detriment of the film to me overall just a small aspect I didn’t completely like.
Old 04-22-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

I guess I missed where his dad felt that way about him. It felt like the brother was just being a dick and the dad was like another bully just going with it. No doubt what you said happens though. It wasn’t a big detriment of the film to me overall just a small aspect I didn’t completely like.
The brother was a dick, and dad at first just let it happen then joined in because his son wasn't as "manly" or whatever. Then the accident happened and the dad presumably got even more mad, and both of them blamed Sivana. But you knew the guy was a bad father, he's not only Sivana's dad but Lex Luthor's as well.
Old 04-22-19, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The brother was a dick, and dad at first just let it happen then joined in because his son wasn't as "manly" or whatever. Then the accident happened and the dad presumably got even more mad, and both of them blamed Sivana. But you knew the guy was a bad father, he's not only Sivana's dad but Lex Luthor's as well.
Ah, I admittedly had no idea that Sivana and Luthor have the same father. My knowledge of Captain Marvel/Shazam and his supporting characters is really limited.
Old 04-22-19, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He meant the actor playing Sivana's Dad. John Glover.
Old 04-22-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He was also Dr. Jason Woodrue (Floronic Man) in Batman & Robin, but let's not talk about that.
Old 04-22-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah I was surprised when the brother started being dick to him in the car and the Father just smiled and did nothing. Not even a "leave him alone". To me that showed signs that he was always allowing this abuse and that he approved. I don't know how anyone missed that.

Anyway, It's no wonder Sivan turned out the way he did and later killed them both.
Old 04-22-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
He meant the actor playing Sivana's Dad. John Glover.
Yup, I was referencing Smallville where he played Lionel Luthor, my bad for any confusion it caused. That Shazam always copying Superman.
Old 04-22-19, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was his brother?!
Old 04-22-19, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I get that he could've been fleshed out more, but I just don't see how they do it without making it into a Sivana movie, which I'm not sure anyone really wanted. Like we barely got characterization with the rest of the foster family.
I don't think they would need to make it a "Sivana movie" in order to make his character and motivations slightly more nuanced.
Thor, Batman Begins, Black Panther, Gladiator, and The Karate Kid, all had their villains presented in a better fashion, without sacrificing the status of the title character.

I got the reason. I just didn't like that it was dumbed down.
For example, the dad smiling as his older son harasses Thad. Why not give the dad a monocle, and have him twirling a mustache?

It was the same thing with the bullies. They were like cartoon characters.

Old 04-22-19, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Is it surprising that a movie about a character whose best friend is a talking tiger is a little simple and cartoonish?
Old 04-23-19, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Is it surprising that a movie about a character whose best friend is a talking tiger is a little simple and cartoonish?

We're talking about Shazam here, not Calvin & Hobbes. Superheroes have evolved since the light-hearted whimsy of the 1940s.

Violent comic spoilers down below:

Black Adam
Spoiler:

Mary Marvel
Spoiler:

Last edited by brayzie; 04-23-19 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-23-19, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. That was a shitty time for Mary Marvel. DC spent way too much energy trying to make their characters "edgier" and more relatable by having them murder everyone around them.

Good times.
Old 04-23-19, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
Yeah. That was a shitty time for Mary Marvel. DC spent way too much energy trying to make their characters "edgier" and more relatable by having them murder everyone around them.

Good times.
Final Crisis was kind of lame. But 52 made Black Adam a much more developed character, and he ended up getting his own family from that series. They even got their own Talking Tawney, Sobek the Talking Crocodile!
Old 04-23-19, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Please don't post Mary marvel from countdown as something decent. Ugh.
Old 04-23-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
We're talking about Shazam here, not Calvin & Hobbes. Superheroes have evolved since the light-hearted whimsy of the 1940s.

Violent comic spoilers down below:

Black Adam
Spoiler:

Mary Marvel
Spoiler:

Uhm...his question still stands. Those images ARE NOT THIS FILM.

Btw, that first image is why I LOVE Black Adam and I love Hawkman for the same reason. Neither are afraid to crack skulls, cave skulls, and rip bad guys in two to serve Justice.
Old 04-23-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Uhm...his question still stands. Those images ARE NOT THIS FILM.
But...there's no talking tiger in this film either.
Old 04-23-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Please don't post Mary marvel from countdown as something decent. Ugh.
That whole era of DC from like the mid 2000s through the New 52 was a weird time in general for a lot of characters.
Old 04-23-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved the movie, they got so many things right, but made me scratch my head a few times on few points in the movie.

Billy acted more mature than Shazam did...kind of threw me off a bit. Shazam was great, Billy should have acted more like him.
Old 04-23-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
But...there's no talking tiger in this film either.
Fair enough....
Old 04-24-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope that Black Adam, as portrayed by Dwayne Johnson, will be in Shazam! 2. I heard that DC was going have him be in a solo Black Adam movie, but I think it would be better to have him being in the sequel. Then down the road they can build up his character and backstory and and do his redemption in his own film, and later introduce Isis and Osiris.

I still can't believe that this movie turned out the way it did. When this was first announced I thought they were going to go make it too kiddy and goofball. But Zachary Levi is the perfect Captain Marvel, and despite the slight uneven tone of the film, I had a smile throughout most of the movie.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I enjoyed the 7 Deadly Sins but I kinda wished they had been less generic looking and designed more specific to their respective Sins.
I though they were pretty good except for the one with wings and the runt. The one with the mouth on its torso was something out of Alan Moore's Empire of Tears. But I agree, playing up their sin personalities would have been even better, and maybe give them distinctively different telepathic voices.
Old 04-24-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would think Black Adam would almost have to be in the sequel, but I still think they make a solo film first.

It's weird, though, Johnson's comedic timing would work way better as a Shazam! type character than Black Adam, but I guess we'll see.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.