DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Us (Peele, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/647096-us-peele-2019-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 03-16-19 08:14 PM

Us (Peele, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Us" (Starring: Lupita Nyong'o, Elisabeth Moss, Anna Drop, Winston Duke, Kara Hayward)

Release Date:
3/22/19

Rating:
R (for for violence/terror, and language throughout.)

Running Time:
116m. (1h. 56m.)

Budget:
$24.601 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
In order to get away from their busy lives, the Wilson family takes a vacation to Santa Cruz, California with the plan of spending time with their friends, the Tyler family. On a day at the beach, their young son Jason almost wanders off, causing his mother Adelaide to become protective of her family. That night, four mysterious people break into Adelaide's childhood home where they're staying. The family is shocked to find out that the intruders look like and talk like them, only with grotesque appearances. Written by jesusblack-30225.

IMDb Info and Rating:
7.0 (851 votes as of 3/16/19)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:55 Rotten:0 (100% as of 3/16/19)

Metacritic:
78 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 3/16/19)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
https://i.imgur.com/6EQMoos.jpg

OldBoy 03-16-19 09:02 PM

Re: Us (Peele, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

tbh i don't see many horror movies in the theaters. maybe once in a blue moon. i'd rather at home and usually like the rarer or smaller ones than the mainstream PG-13 shit they dole out on a monthly basis, but with Get Out and the reviews this is getting thus far, i have been scoping out times and theaters for this already...

Hazel Motes 03-18-19 02:17 AM

Currently sitting at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes with 60 reviews. I assume Armond White hasn't seen it yet. Although whether or not he's seen a film is pretty trivial when it comes what he's already decided to think about a movie.

dex14 03-21-19 08:40 AM

Seeing this tonight.

BO Tracking has this opening $45-50mil range. Personally, I think this has the potential to be at least $60mil.

RichC2 03-21-19 12:07 PM

It'll pull higher, it's doing very well in pre-sales.

I didn't care for Get Out, but this looks like a lot of fun.

dex14 03-21-19 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13520356)
It'll pull higher, it's doing very well in pre-sales.

I didn't care for Get Out, but this looks like a lot of fun.

I wouldn't be surprised if higher. That's why I said at least.

DJariya 03-21-19 04:20 PM

I'm actually going to see this on Tuesday. I had an Atom Tickets credit that I had to use a few months ago and pre-ordered my ticket at a Regal theatre and it only cost me $1.50 for the ticket.

I didn't see Get Out until it came out on BD, but I am looking forward to this.

Perkinsun Dzees 03-22-19 12:56 AM

Saw this tonight.

Surprised by all the rave reviews from critics. I thought this was pretty routine. Maybe even a little less than routine.

While it is buoyed by an undeniably interesting concept and has a fine dual lead performance by Lupita, it plays out in a predictable and sometimes rather dumb manner. Too many drawn out chase scenes/fight scenes/kill scenes that brought nothing new to the table and seemed to drag on and on. And I never once felt that the main family was in any real danger, as overly convenient things kept happening to constantly bail them out (like, why did the doppelganger dad not beat his original self to death with the bat instead of going to the trouble of putting him in a trash bag and taking him out onto the ocean?).

How come the doppelgangers were sometimes forced to mimic the originals' movements, and other times they didn't?

The attempt to give the situation a wider apocalyptic feel with newscasts about people being slaughtered and shots of dead bodies on the streets felt rather cheesy, almost like The Happening.

And so the Mom "doppelganger" (or so we think) and original Mom duel it out, with the "doppelganger" easily getting the upper hand throughout, but then she gets mortally wounded when she tries to sneak up behind the mom, who just turns around and stabs her with the poker. WTF?

You could see the final twist coming from a mile away and it still made little sense in the context of the narrative.

I thought the visuals tended to be more banal than nightmarish. The "ballet" flashback-infused finale was pretty ridiculous.

I was not a huge fan of Get Out, but I think I enjoyed it quite a bit more than this movie.

Why So Blu? 03-22-19 02:20 AM

Just got back from this and it was fine. Get Out is a much better film and more coherent. I think Us is much more abstract. I did call the ending, though. I did not understand the rabbits and what they were about, but I did get what the "tethered" was but.

As Perkinsun mentioned, the doppleganger movements and such, was wildly inconsistent and quite convenient when it needed to be.

With that being said, I won't say that Peele has hit a "sophomore slump" - not by a long shot. He's a big time horror film nerd and knows what's up. My crowd started out strong but ended up with a somewhat mixed reaction. I heard a guy say that he was not impressed. I also heard two girls talking about it and one asked her friend "what was that about?" Her friend replied, "Bitch, I don't know!" :lol:

dex14 03-22-19 05:02 AM

The rabbits were the Tethered’s food.

dex14 03-22-19 07:18 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about, but I did rate it a 4. I liked it in the beginning but started to be taken out of it towards the end. I think there will be a lot of comments poking holes through things but maybe in subsequent viewings will have more of an understanding of why.

The acting by all was great as was the music.

GoVegan 03-22-19 09:45 AM

I liked it. No, it wasn't quite the same caliber as Get Out, but the acting was great and it was a fun thriller. I'm sure I'll see it again, possibly in the theater.

Why So Blu? 03-22-19 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13520832)
The rabbits were the Tethered’s food.

Really? Outside of one-two scenes of rabbits being in cages, none of the Tethered were ever getting their grub on. :confused:

Oh, and I really liked the music score.

dex14 03-22-19 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13520921)
Really? Outside of one-two scenes of rabbits being in cages, none of the Tethered were ever getting their grub on. :confused:

Oh, and I really liked the music score.

It was spoken. Something like... on the surface you were eating nice food, while I was eating rabbit flesh.

dex14 03-22-19 10:05 AM

Jordan Peele's critically acclaimed Us earned a terrifying $7.4 million in Thursday night previews at the North American box office.

That's among the best showings ever for a horror film.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...5V428rXUqPFjXo

Why So Blu? 03-22-19 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13520922)
It was spoken. Something like... on the surface you were eating nice food, while I was eating rabbit flesh.

Ah, gotcha. Rabbit is delicious, too.

GoVegan 03-22-19 02:12 PM

The flare gun gave me a big laugh, since the second he stepped on the friend's "Be-yachtch", I figured that's where it was going, but I was expecting it to be a little more dramatic. :)

RichC2 03-22-19 02:13 PM

$64 - $68m weeekend early look.

raven56706 03-22-19 02:23 PM

someone give me the twist at the end. i dont plan on watching this film but curious

Dr. DVD 03-22-19 03:40 PM

Caught this last night at a close to sold out showing. I think this is a case where an excellent movie could have been great but didn't know when to quit giving answers. I really wish we weren't told that the N'Yongo character was in fact the doppleganger. For one, I thought that would have been the obvious twist from the time it was said "she wasn't the same girl" . Secondly, leaving that open for debate assures that people would be talking about the movie for many years. As it is, "Us" is a well made horror movie that's very entertaining. Peele definitely has a good eye for the camera and some of the scenes, the opening and closing ones in particular , were very reminiscent of Kubrick. I hope that Peele has it in him to make one more horror film to the level of what he's made so we can then have a trilogy.

I will agree with others that the shadow beings were only controlled and not controlled when it was convenient. Come to think of it, what was the point of their existence? I couldn't quite get it from the Shadow Nyongo's explanation.

Perkinsun Dzees 03-22-19 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 13521120)
Come to think of it, what was the point of their existence? I couldn't quite get it from the Shadow Nyongo's explanation.

I was under the impression that they were created to allow the government to control the people aboveground. But the experiment failed because the Tethered could only mimick the behavior of their doppelgangers and not have it be the other way around. And so the government abandoned them and left them to their own devices thinking they were mindless beings who would waste away and disappear, not realizing that there was a normal person among them who would lead a rebellion.

Why So Blu? 03-22-19 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees (Post 13521128)
I was under the impression that they were created to allow the government to control the people aboveground. But the experiment failed because the Tethered could only mimick the behavior of their doppelgangers and not have it be the other way around. And so the government abandoned them and left them to their own devices thinking they were mindless beings who would waste away and disappear, not realizing that there was a normal person among them who would lead a rebellion.

I totally forgot about that. There was that line that came off as an awkward throwaway line - When they ask the dopplegangers "what they are" and the reply was "We're Americans!"

dex14 03-22-19 04:06 PM

Don’t overlook the obvious Us / U.S.

Why So Blu? 03-22-19 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13521138)
Don’t overlook the obvious Us / U.S.

Holy shit. This thing seems to be more multilayered than I thought.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...09cf98e49b.gif

dex14 03-22-19 04:15 PM

:lol: Dude. There’s a lot going on here.