Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Us (Peele, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Us (Peele, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
2.86%
14.29%
31.43%
17.14%
8.57%
8.57%
8.57%
8.57%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Us (Peele, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-19, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
Re: Us (Peele, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Really? Outside of one-two scenes of rabbits being in cages, none of the Tethered were ever getting their grub on.

Wrong. You see a flashback scene of folks at the pier eating food while the tethered ate skinned rabbits at tables in a room off the main corridor.
Old 03-23-19, 01:46 AM

I liked it quite a bit. Tons was left unexplained but enough was fun and inventive and effective to make for a fine classy horror film. I thought the performances were great, esp Lupita of course. Funnier than I thought it would be as well. Peele is a very effective director. Would like to see what he could do outside of genre work.
Old 03-23-19, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Wrong. You see a flashback scene of folks at the pier eating food while the tethered ate skinned rabbits at tables in a room off the main corridor.
Yeah, I didn't catch that.

Old 03-23-19, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, I didn't catch that.
It was a quick shot and kind of in the background.

Speaking of which : Did anyone else notice that this was the second blockbuster this month to feature the double-VHS release of The Right Stuff? Weird coincidence.
Old 03-23-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this last night with a friend.

Left the theater feeling a bit disappointed. The film is well-made but I thought it was overstuffed, with many pieces not quite clicking together in a coherent manner.

One random thing that bugged me was how the bodies were staged around the Santa Cruz Boardwalk and the East Cliff Area of Santa Cruz. The film tells us that there is hysteria in the streets but when our characters finally leave their neighborhood, returning to the Boardwalk area, there are only a handful of bodies, strategically placed and largely bloodless (outside of blood-stained clothing). Having visited the city countless times, I have to imagine that the city of Santa Cruz had specifics of what could or couldn't be shot there, considering how much money tourism brings into Santa Cruz each year. In the end, the scenes just look wonky and pull a lot of tension out of the later scenes that take place in broad daylight.

I absolutely loved the introduction of Red's Family and the (entire) home invasion scene and wished the film kept that level of tension and sharpness throughout.

Last edited by asianxcore; 03-23-19 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-23-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Upon reflection, I still like the movie but there is a whole lot that is left unexplained.

1) How were the tethered able to sustain themselves after the government or whoever abandoned them?

2) How in the world did they first come to be and how did they work initially?

3) How in the world could a tethered like Abraham come to be by eating raw rabbit? Come to think of it, wouldn't most of them have just died of malnutrition after the first year or so of nothing but that?

This movie was fun, but plot hole wise it's starting to get more of a Dark Knight Rises/Prometheus vibe.
Old 03-23-19, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Like many here, I enjoyed the filmmaking and found the acting to be superb ... but the movie itself left a little more to be desired. Winston Duke was ... just wow. Hard to believe that is the guy from Black Panther. Lupita Nyongo ... I’ll probably catch grief for this, but ... Oscar nomination?

The opening script and the C.H.U.D. VHS tape gave a pretty good idea of what was under the surface from the beginnning (pun intended). While I had the “main” twist pegged from the moment it happened, I feel there was another twist that left me feeling like I did in Signs (and that’s not a compliment) — that twist being that there was no other twist and the bizarre shit is actually real.

A few questions:

What was the significance of the Hands Across America bit? Was it that the doppelgängers could no longer function without their “real world” self and this was some kind of “default” state?

So how did the son know something was “off” at the end? I get that she was the doppelgänger, but she had been his whole life and was actually his mom.
Old 03-24-19, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

What was the significance of the Hands Across America bit? Was it that the doppelgängers could no longer function without their “real world” self and this was some kind of “default” state?

"Build that wall!"
Old 03-24-19, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

A few questions:

So how did the son know something was “off” at the end? I get that she was the doppelgänger, but she had been his whole life and was actually his mom.
Both those questions and more are touched on here

The 'Us' Post-Game Report*

My daughter loves vintage clothes and wore her Hands Across America t-shirt today.
Old 03-24-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Both those questions and more are touched on here

The 'Us' Post-Game Report*

My daughter loves vintage clothes and wore her Hands Across America t-shirt today.

Still no explanation as to how they got all of those scissors While I think the movie is entertaining, if a critic has to say "this is better when you don't think about it" , it has severe plot issues.
Old 03-24-19, 10:31 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

$70mil debut: https://variety.com/2019/film/box-of...a8vqkl7ZpEkV10
Old 03-24-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Thought the acting and score were great and liked bits here and there but on the whole I thought it was a turd. Are we supposed to think that literally 300+ million duplicate people are living underground? Why? Where were the people who cloned them? Did they have a factory to produce all those red jumpsuits?

If it wasn't for that awful reveal/ending I would rate it higher.
Old 03-24-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I saw this today and honestly thought it was alittle overrated, even after reading a plot description to make sure I understood the story. Get Out was much better, imo. Still entertaining though, no regrets seeing it, just don't feel it's deserving of the praise it's been getting.
Old 03-24-19, 09:10 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Agree with most comments so far. Not as good as Get Out, though pretty engaging nonetheless. Lots of stuff thrown at the wall, which not all stuck. I feel like if M. Night had made this, it would have been shit on without mercy, but maybe I’m wrong in thinking that.
Old 03-24-19, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

Yeah. I was letdown too. I rewatched Get Out hours before going just incase there were any callbacks to it, and it had been awhile since I saw it. I thought Get Out is far superior than Us.
I pretty much understood what was going on. I suspected that it was possible the kids swapped places shortly after the encounter in the mirror house. The humor was mixed in pretty good, and I thought the comedy was better than the "horror". Maybe this should have been categorized as "sci-fi"?
It was interesting. Great acting. Score and soundtrack were really good too. But I agree, overrated. I gave it 3.

Elisabeth Moss in red, she must like that color.

SEX SLAVE!
Old 03-24-19, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Didn't much care for it as a horrible flick, but I thought parts were just fucking hilarious(even if that wasn't the intent)

Any time Abraham screamed, I just thought of this:

Old 03-25-19, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

den of geek published a great analysis of the themes and social commentary in the film. I liked the film quite a bit, but I don't pick up hidden meanings, social commentary and the like very easily, unless its the level of Paul Haggis's Crash where he hits you over the head with "RACISM BAD". I definitely didn't process all of this when I saw it, but I'm looking forward to another viewing after reading this.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...ding-explained

It’s easy to judge someone even as they sit right next to you. Young Jason Wilson (Evan Alex) is tempted to do just that in the final seconds of Jordan Peele’s Us. By his side in a car headed south is his mother Adelaide (a ferocious Lupita Nyong’o), who went into the bowels of hell to retrieve him like a maternal Orpheus with the good sense to not look back. Nevertheless, it was down there where Jason saw Adelaide not just kill her doppelganger, ostensibly credited as “Red,” in a moment that audiences cheered, but do so while becoming every bit as wrathful and cruel in her execution as the other doppelgangers whom Jason accurately described as “us.”

In the final moments, he is having flickering doubts of who his mother is, but his suspicions are not nearly so dire as those experienced by the audience. For as this is occurring, we witness crosscuts to the first scene and get a confirmation that only the most astute viewers guessed: The Adelaide we’ve been following the whole film is not the little girl who got lost in the opening sequence. Our Adelaide, who viewers likely coded in their head as “Good Lupita,” has all along been the one born to the tunnels of doppelgangers. She is one of “the tethered.” When she told her husband Gabe (Winston Duke) earlier in the movie that she has no idea why she wandered off from her father at the Santa Cruz boardwalk some 30 years ago, it’s because she never did wander off. That little girl, the real Adelaide, was attacked by her double, dragged into the tunnels and handcuffed to a bed, therefore never receiving medical attention after having her throat crushed (hence Red’s raspy whispers for the rest of the film).

As a final horror twist, it is effective in the sense that many moviegoers will not see it coming, and in that it provides a lot more cohesion to the basic plotting of the film: The reason Adelaide was so scared of Santa Cruz is she knew that this was exactly the pathway she used to escape 33 years ago, and it’s why she absolutely knew what the “family in the driveway” wanted, right down to handcuffing her to the table. It is also how Red was able to break free from the tragic bondage of the other tethered. She wasn’t born like them as a practical clone, so she was the first to break the cycle of being forced to mirror in the shadows the golden lives of those above ground. She knew what she was missing. Her revolution even seems to have begun the day of Adelaide’s tour de force ballet recital (hence why Adelaide stopped dancing at 14, having “felt” Red getting closer). It’s a revolt informed by faint memories of a relatively luxurious life, such as when Red decides the best way to make a statement is to unite “Hands Across America.”

However, the true potency of the ending is not in how it connects this narrative jigsaw puzzle of a horror movie; its real horror lies in its crystallization of an allegory about a nation so divided upon itself between those above and below that it feels like the only destiny is a bloody one of self-destruction. Us very much is about what Red tells Gabe of her family: “We’re Americans.” This is an American tale… and perhaps an end times one given its vision of income inequality run rampant.

Jordan Peele was not exaggerating when he told us in December that Us is not about race, at least as far as race can be extracted from the conversation of American life. As it turns out, it's about what it means to be an American, and more precisely what it means to be a “have” in this country and a “have not.” In that context, the simplicity of who is right or wrong, “Good Lupita” or “Bad Lupita,” becomes a blur. In a fascinating New Yorker article last year, Elizabeth Kolbert tracked the psychology of inequality in this country by examining how many people below the poverty line of their home states view themselves as middle class, and might even be more insistent on certain cultural values (just like Red and her fanatical belief in God) while those living in undeniable wealth likewise refused to see themselves as affluent. Almost everyone views themselves as in the middle and scrambling to keep up with the Joneses.

In one illuminating anecdote, Kolbert quoted a woman with an income of $2.5 million a year as saying affluence is relative, and that while she might fly first class, she has friends who travel for vacations on private jets. “That’s affluence,” she whined.

This "grass is greener" dissatisfaction, which has demonstrably grown in the last 30 years just as nearly four decades of Reaganomics have expanded income inequality to its highest level since 1928, is encapsulated by the entirely sympathetic and even lovable Wilsons in Us. With his half-rimmed glasses and easygoing demeanor, Papa Gabe in many ways appears like Peele himself, or at least how viewers imagine him to be. Definitely affluent enough to rent an annual vacation home on a lake where he buys an amusingly shoddy boat, he has the perfect nuclear family unit, yet is in constant envy of his friends the Tylers (Elisabeth Moss and Tim Heidecker). Josh Tyler snarks that Gabe’s boat is ridiculous (and it is), and has an even nicer vacation home with a car so ritzy that getting to drive it is the only thing that lets Gabe accept Adelaide’s plan of leaving the comfort of the Tylers’ home during desperate times.

He is so enthralled by what he doesn’t quite have that he cannot fathom the lives of Americans with much less. Americans that at the end of the day are basically just like him minus the advantages and wealth. Red, Gabe’s double in Abraham, and their two beastly children are vindictive and monstrous because society left them no other choice. All clad in red jumpsuits, it is not hard to pick up on the implication that they're convicts imprisoned by the system. In the film’s dreamlike logic, they are actual clones and doppelgangers of other Americans above ground, with seemingly one copy for every breathing one of us. But thematically, “they’re us” without the luxury of choice most people of privilege take for granted. There was no Obamacare for “Red” after she was choked, just like there was none for any poor Americans in 1986.

Hardened by an American system that literally created them and then discarded them to a prison below our feet, we are either oblivious or pretend to not see their plight. And when that despair turns into anger, those who’ve lived a life as charmed as Gabe cannot comprehend how they’re Americans or why they’d be so cruel. The violent horror movie plot of Us is a warning (or perhaps a prophecy) about what happens when income inequality gets so great that the only way to gain attention is to make a statement—statements that may not be channeled through peaceful means.

All of which brings us back to “Good Lupita” sitting next to her son’s wary eye in the film’s final moments. The woman we rooted for to kill her tormentor, her double, is actually the double who personally damned a little girl to the life of the Tethered. In a flashback, Adelaide’s parents take the girl they think is their daughter to a child psychologist who says she’s suffering from PTSD. Her father cracks, “She wasn’t in ‘Nam.” But in a way, she was. Vietnam and so many of America’s wars are a meat grinder for the impoverished and most underprivileged Americans to be placed in. If they come back with PTSD, like the Tethered, they’re marginalized by a society who only visibly values the happy, like Adelaide and Gabe.

Our Adelaide did suffer a nightmarish trauma. She did have PTSD, which she grew out of thanks to the love of her parents and outlets like ballet; she persevered because she had the opportunity to do so. But unlike Gabe, she is fully aware of the artifice of her safety net. She grew up among the tethered, but she did not try to help them. Her survivor’s guilt is fueled by the fact that after achieving the rare thing of upward mobility, she didn’t try to help her own community or pass the ladder down. She seized her opportunity and ran with it, pretending the generations of squalor she sprung from didn’t exist, as long as she looked the other way and didn’t have to return to it.

Thus it would be easy to judge Adelaide. There is something more sinister about her selfishness than Gabe’s ignorance. But we cannot fully do so, because like Jason, we’ve come to know her as an ultimately well-meaning and kind woman. She loves her family and went to the Underworld—or certainly followed white rabbits through the looking glass—to retrieve her son. She faced her own past sins to save his life, and she isn’t the one walking around with scissors and slaughtering innocent people. But her culpability for this American dysfunction does not make her innocent either, just as even though Red, Abraham, and the rest might be right to be furious, they are still killers. Before Adelaide then in turn kills Red, the latter whistles the little tune she hummed as a little girl before our Adelaide stole her life. There is reason to be angry, but Adelaide is still protecting her son by (viciously) ending Red’s life.

There are no clean answers between who is good or evil in this scenario, and in our world it is hard to honestly gauge. The best thing might be what Jason decides to do: put his mask back on and relax in the warmth of his mother’s love. And yet, that may just be perpetuating the cycle of choosing not to truly evaluate who we are, both as individuals and a society, and thus turn a blind eye to the problem until it becomes as undeniable as a million jump-suited “monsters” standing hand-in-hand in the light of a fiery morning.
Old 03-25-19, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I am not understanding the love for this flick.

It is not remotely scary or even creepy. It makes zero sense. The premise is beyond stupid. And the acting is fucking atrocious.

The only reason I didn't give it a zero was due to several of the funny lines in the movie. The rest is sheer shit.

The "twist" is telegraphed a mile away. No tension in scenes and if there was any tension started it is ruined by a (often funny) joke. The plot is full of holes and is laughable.

Half of the audience was laughing or snickering most of the time when the women did her "scary" speaking or the man did his (as listed above) Chewbacca growl. These were supposed to be eerie moments but came across as comical because they sounded so dumb. As someone else mentioned, the shadows reacted to different "rules" as was necessary for the story.

I like open interpretation movies if they give you something to work with but this gives nothing. With a horror movie, to be scared you have to accept the premise of the story. As you move along, since you have accepted what is happening is real, you get emotionally involved and have reactions to the horror that you find the characters sucked into. This is not one of those movies since premise is so silly and poorly acted and just happened out of left field for no reason at all. I liked Get Out though I thought it was a little overrated. But this film blows its overrated-ness out of the water.

And if the woman was indeed switched, how did she describe what was happening in the subways before she even got there?

The mind numbing gymnastics to accept the logistics of the main plot are impossible to overcome if you try to comprehend even a tiny shred of this movie.

Ugh...as you can see...I hated it. I hope this doesn't create a whole bunch of copycats in horror just because it was successful.

And Hands Across America...seriously??? Just so fucking dumb.

Just a warning to horror fans....you will likely be very disappointed. The only people I would see liking this are those who haven't seen a horror movie in 30 years, those who scare easily or those who enjoy the indecipherable.
Old 03-25-19, 10:23 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I enjoyed it despite the numerous plot holes, mainly because I enjoyed the sinister tone it held throughout the film (although... ironically, the film felt a bit less scary to me once we actually meet the evil family).

The idea that they take on traits related to their 'originals' was once of the more interesting concepts, but I also thought Peele left a lot unexplored there. Like the vanity of Elizabeth Moss, the gymnastics of her daughter, the boy liking masks, etc. but why is dad just a dumb brute? His doppelganger felt worlds different from the dad joke loving, let's have fun original. Also, why was 'good' Lupita not effected by this? Shouldn't she have been automatically picking up adult traits from the 'bad' Lupita, aside from the dancing early on?

The 'forced tethering' idea was necessary for the plot, but it also created the most logistical issues. With the twist, why did the doppelganger family members flock around the original 'bad' Lupita and not the duplicate 'good' Lupita? Bad Lupita claims she was forced to take the doppelganger husband and have the doppelganger children, but if she wasn't an original couldn't she have changed the script at any time?

On a side note, are fake son and daughter half real human and half doppelganger human? And vice versa? This could be an interesting way to explain why the real world son was a little weird and the real world daughter was so naturally able to kill the doppelgangers at the friends' house... they were subtly picking up some of their doppelganger's traits.
Old 03-25-19, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Half of the audience was laughing or snickering most of the time when the women did her "scary" speaking or the man did his (as listed above) Chewbacca growl. These were supposed to be eerie moments but came across as comical because they sounded so dumb. As someone else mentioned, the shadows reacted to different "rules" as was necessary for the story.
Hell... I dont think even the actors took it seriously . During the living room sofa scene , you can clearly see the son breaking character when his evil counterpart is doing his "Gimp" thing. Even I found it hilarious, so I cant blame him.
Old 03-25-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

This movie got inside my head and stayed there. I love when a movie does that. That's a sign of great filmmaking. 4 out of 5 for me.
Old 03-25-19, 02:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
This movie got inside my head and stayed there. I love when a movie does that. That's a sign of great filmmaking. 4 out of 5 for me.
Similar here, freaking fantastic film. Not up to Get Out level, but that one is in rarefied air for me. 4/5
Old 03-25-19, 03:28 PM

So many iconic images. Peele has a good eye for that stuff - in Get Out there was the single tear, the tea cup, the running gardener. Here there were so many - the scissors held in a gloved hand, the image of the family in the driveway, the bunnies in cages, the Frisbee on the beach towel, the homeless guy on the beach with the bloody hand. Visually there's a lot that will stick with me.

But yeah, the plot doesn't hold up to any sort of scrutiny.

I keep wondering if the movie would have been better if it were just a single, possibly unexplained doppelganger family rather than a poorly explained nationwide conspiracy. I don't know for sure. There is that shock of seeing Elizabeth Moss' family quickly dispatched as that was so unexpected. But by opening up the scale like the way they did, it makes it somehow less scary and certainly less emotionally satisfying. Though if Peele's mission was to make a statement about consumerism or classes or poverty, I guess you need a bigger scale.

I would kind of like to watch it again to see how it plays a second time.
Old 03-25-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

So many iconic images. Peele has a good eye for that stuff - in Get Out there was the single tear, the tea cup, the running gardener. Here there were so many - the scissors held in a gloved hand, the image of the family in the driveway, the bunnies in cages, the Frisbee on the beach towel, the homeless guy on the beach with the bloody hand. Visually there's a lot that will stick with me.

But yeah, the plot doesn't hold up to any sort of scrutiny.

I keep wondering if the movie would have been better if it were just a single, possibly unexplained doppelganger family rather than a poorly explained nationwide conspiracy. I don't know for sure. There is that shock of seeing Elizabeth Moss' family quickly dispatched as that was so unexpected. But by opening up the scale like the way they did, it makes it somehow less scary and certainly less emotionally satisfying. Though if Peele's mission was to make a statement about consumerism or classes or poverty, I guess you need a bigger scale.

I would kind of like to watch it again to see how it plays a second time.
I think this would have been better. Keep it to one doppelganger family but allow thoughts that there might be others out there. I really thought this movie was a take on Ice Cube's song called Us.
Old 03-27-19, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

4 out of 5 from me. I saw it tonight to a practically full house. A little surprising on a Tuesday night. I enjoyed it, but yeah there were some questions I had about it that didn't really get clear answers. I didn't really get how the clones came about and why they mimicked pretty much everything and everyone in Santa Cruz. It was so strangely coordinated. But, I'm going to leave that as it is. You can't get too analytical otherwise you're just going to hate the movie like Spiderbite. I look at this as a Twilight Zone type plot that didn't really give any answers. And ironically Peele is hosting and producing a Twilight Zone update that airs in a few weeks. I did think it had some tension, especially the sequence where the Wilson family gets overpowered by their Red clones.

I honestly didn't see the scene where the Tyler family gets slaughtered by their clones coming. Everyone in my theatre screamed "Oh shit!" At that point, I didn't see that the Clones thing was a mass thing going on.

The twist I pretty much figured out probably by early in the 3rd act that Adelaide and the clone traded places.

It was an enjoyable time. I think it helped being in a full theatre and having others react with you. If I was watching this alone at home or in an empty theatre, it may not have had the same kind of impact.

I liked the opening imagery from 1986 with the old school TV and the VHS tapes laying around. Could anyone make out what movies they were? I noticed a few of them were WB titles.

Not sure if this is something that is even remotely rewatchable.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-27-19 at 01:54 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.