DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Us (Peele, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/647096-us-peele-2019-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

Mike86 04-02-19 11:38 AM

Re: Us (Peele, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13526703)
It was what Red focused on and weaved into her Uprising as she planned it over 30 years; and it also helped identify Red as the real Adelaide. It's just that simple. In the flashback it showed Red creating a shrine with the HAA shirt as the centerpiece. It meant something to Red...

If anything to me the idea that they’d want to join hands seems kind of contrary to the idea of them wanting to break free of being tethered. I don’t know it’s kind of weird symbolism to me. I did like the movie overall, but I just don’t think that aspect was exactly necessary or made a lot of sense.

DaveNinja 04-02-19 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 13526222)
I thought it would have been a much stronger film had it just stuck with your first point.

I made this point in my earlier post but I wonder how much say the city of Santa Cruz, CA had in what could be shown in or around the Boardwalk as well as East Cliff Drive areas. We are supposed to believe that chaos is all around us but many of these locations looks severely undressed with mayhem, almost to the point of looking amateurish in execution (minus the car scene with Pluto).

Tourism is a $700 million dollar industry for Santa Cruz, CA, so I wonder if they put limitations on Jordan Peele.

The attacks happened in the middle of the night. I just figured most people were killed in their houses.
I did feel bad for the extras that were the "hands across america" tethered that had to stand in the San Lorenzo river at the beach. When it isnt flowing strong enough to connect to the ocean (as seen earlier), its pretty polluted. I always found it pretty gross when the tourists would ignore the signs and let their kids swim in it. So much duck poo.
I grew up in Santa Cruz and even worked at the Boardwalk when I was a teenager.
I don't know where the lake house was filmed but it doesnt look like anything near santa cruz; wrong trees.

asianxcore 04-02-19 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja (Post 13526719)
The attacks happened in the middle of the night. I just figured most people were killed in their houses.

Completely understandable.

Still, I wished they would have staged a bit more mayhem in the daylight at the Boardwalk & East Cliff Drive.

Much of it is left to our imagination and framed by a single (but short) News Broadcast of panic in the streets.

It just didn't connect for me.

Originally Posted by DaveNinja (Post 13526719)
I did feel bad for the extras that were the "hands across america" tethered that had to stand in the San Lorenzo river at the beach. When it isnt flowing strong enough to connect to the ocean (as seen earlier), its pretty polluted. I always found it pretty gross when the tourists would ignore the signs and let their kids swim in it. So much duck poo.

:wacko:

Mr. Flix 04-02-19 07:36 PM

Saw this yesterday in a surprisingly full theater (for a Monday afternoon). I still don't know what I thought about it. Parts of the movie really worked for me, other parts failed miserably.

I have to say, I am shocked at the number of people talking about how funny it was. I didn't laugh once, nor did anyone else in my theater. Everyone was pretty much dead quiet throughout. I recognized a few attempts at humor, but none of them landed. I take that back -- one joke got a laugh, the "F*&% the Police" moment.

The chills, however, did work for the most part. I was on the edge of my seat several times. So I credit Peele at being able to build tension.

With both this and "Get Out" (and, to a certain extent, his involvement now in the "Twilight Zone" revival), I'm getting serious Shyamalan vibes from Peele. Both know how to build great atmosphere and tension, and both struggle to stick the landing, IMO.

All the pieces were there for this to be a really good movie, but it fell well short of the mark in the end. Too many stupid character moments, too many inconsistencies, and too much explanation at the end where ambiguity would've made the movie more memorable. Still, I'll be interested in seeing what Peele does next.

Abob Teff 04-02-19 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13526703)
It was what Red focused on and weaved into her Uprising as she planned it over 30 years; and it also helped identify Red as the real Adelaide. It's just that simple. In the flashback it showed Red creating a shrine with the HAA shirt as the centerpiece. It meant something to Red...

Occam’s Razor ... I can live with that. In that manner it makes sense ... the misplaced understanding of a child. But it doesn’t work as a bigger metaphor, like many other pieces of the movie do.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13526705)
I don't buy that. Even if true, not all the flashbacks were Red talking. Some were just Peele showing us what happened.

I think he said it in reference to the “clones created by the government” line, not necessarily the actual events of their switch. I’m not sure I buy it either, just reporting it. :)

Why So Blu? 04-02-19 10:58 PM

^ Well, the rabbits were the food source to these "experiments." Remember, rabbits are also used in countless experiments, as well. Once the tethered were abandoned by their creators they kept raising the rabbits for food.

Mabuse 04-04-19 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix (Post 13527044)
Saw this yesterday in a surprisingly full theater (for a Monday afternoon). I still don't know what I thought about it. Parts of the movie really worked for me, other parts failed miserably.

I have to say, I am shocked at the number of people talking about how funny it was. I didn't laugh once, nor did anyone else in my theater. Everyone was pretty much dead quiet throughout. I recognized a few attempts at humor, but none of them landed. I take that back -- one joke got a laugh, the "F*&% the Police" moment.

The chills, however, did work for the most part. I was on the edge of my seat several times. So I credit Peele at being able to build tension.

With both this and "Get Out" (and, to a certain extent, his involvement now in the "Twilight Zone" revival), I'm getting serious Shyamalan vibes from Peele. Both know how to build great atmosphere and tension, and both struggle to stick the landing, IMO.

All the pieces were there for this to be a really good movie, but it fell well short of the mark in the end. Too many stupid character moments, too many inconsistencies, and too much explanation at the end where ambiguity would've made the movie more memorable. Still, I'll be interested in seeing what Peele does next.

Or maybe Richard Kelly who kinda sorta made one great film by accident and hasn’t made anything good since. We shall see.

JZ1276 05-24-19 03:10 PM

Got around to watching this and even though I was into it throughout, all I could think about when it ended were all the plot holes, mainly why the clones drew out murdering the family when that seemed to be the only purpose of invading the home. When the clones invaded the family's friends home, they were all murdered instantly but Red & co. took the time to give explanations, have the kids "play" with each other, have Abraham tie up Gabe, throw a bag on his head & take him out on the boat, etc. The clones could have easily murdered the entire family at any time as soon as they got into the house so why didn't they ?

The clones were a failed government experiment supposed to control Americans. When the experiment failed, wouldn't the obvious action be to kill all the clones? And here's a thought that I haven't seen mentioned; if the clones were an experiment to control Americans then wouldn't the Americans above ground be shadowing the tethered & NOT the other way around?

All in all very good, interesting movie, just too many plot holes.

Why So Blu? 05-25-19 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276 (Post 13555438)
Got around to watching this and even though I was into it throughout, all I could think about when it ended were all the plot holes, mainly why the clones drew out murdering the family when that seemed to be the only purpose of invading the home. When the clones invaded the family's friends home, they were all murdered instantly but Red & co. took the time to give explanations, have the kids "play" with each other, have Abraham tie up Gabe, throw a bag on his head & take him out on the boat, etc. The clones could have easily murdered the entire family at any time as soon as they got into the house so why didn't they ?

The clones were a failed government experiment supposed to control Americans. When the experiment failed, wouldn't the obvious action be to kill all the clones? And here's a thought that I haven't seen mentioned; if the clones were an experiment to control Americans then wouldn't the Americans above ground be shadowing the tethered & NOT the other way around?

Watch it again and see if those plotholes close up. I was in the same predicament when I saw it the first time. It took a while to digest and when I saw it again, it made way more sense.

JZ1276 05-25-19 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13555609)
Watch it again and see if those plotholes close up. I was in the same predicament when I saw it the first time. It took a while to digest and when I saw it again, it made way more sense.

I watched it less than 24 hours ago. After 20 minutes or so into the home invasion, I was convinced they were not there to murder the family but after getting to the point they obviously (at least to me) were. Did I miss something?

Trevor 05-25-19 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276 (Post 13555620)
I watched it less than 24 hours ago. After 20 minutes or so into the home invasion, I was convinced they were not there to murder the family but after getting to the point they obviously (at least to me) were. Did I miss something?

I think they toyed with that family more than others because it was her, you know. The key to them all getting out. She wanted to torture her(self) more.

inri222 07-01-19 10:31 AM

Re: Us (2019, D: Jordan Peele) S: Nyong’o, Duke, Moss

Jordan Peele's second film has a lot of interesting ideas, but fails in its delivery with some plot holes and by using cliched horror tropes. The brilliance of Get Out was its slow burn sense of dread, which this film could have used.

2.5/5

melasnus 08-02-19 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 13522226)
I am not understanding the love for this flick.

It is not remotely scary or even creepy. It makes zero sense. The premise is beyond stupid. And the acting is fucking atrocious.

The only reason I didn't give it a zero was due to several of the funny lines in the movie. The rest is sheer shit.

The "twist" is telegraphed a mile away. No tension in scenes and if there was any tension started it is ruined by a (often funny) joke. The plot is full of holes and is laughable.

Half of the audience was laughing or snickering most of the time when the women did her "scary" speaking or the man did his (as listed above) Chewbacca growl. These were supposed to be eerie moments but came across as comical because they sounded so dumb. As someone else mentioned, the shadows reacted to different "rules" as was necessary for the story.

I like open interpretation movies if they give you something to work with but this gives nothing. With a horror movie, to be scared you have to accept the premise of the story. As you move along, since you have accepted what is happening is real, you get emotionally involved and have reactions to the horror that you find the characters sucked into. This is not one of those movies since premise is so silly and poorly acted and just happened out of left field for no reason at all. I liked Get Out though I thought it was a little overrated. But this film blows its overrated-ness out of the water. :lol:

And if the woman was indeed switched, how did she describe what was happening in the subways before she even got there?

The mind numbing gymnastics to accept the logistics of the main plot are impossible to overcome if you try to comprehend even a tiny shred of this movie.

Ugh...as you can see...I hated it. I hope this doesn't create a whole bunch of copycats in horror just because it was successful.

And Hands Across America...seriously??? :lol: Just so fucking dumb.

Just a warning to horror fans....you will likely be very disappointed. The only people I would see liking this are those who haven't seen a horror movie in 30 years, those who scare easily or those who enjoy the indecipherable.

In general, I have to agree.
This was a big letdown for me.

Although no masterpiece of original cinema, I enjoyed Get Out...for what it was.
This movie OTOH, was just dumb.
In no way did I buy the setup...it was an eye-rollingly lame premise.

Rival11 08-05-19 12:13 PM

Finally got a chance to see this and thought it was excellent. Loved how both the Mother and son were tethers - took me a bit to catch that he burned his face so bad accidentally because of the fire magic trick - don't know why..

I loved the reveal - it worked on manly levels for me and it's kind of funny how I can't really articulate those levels in words, I mean I could but typed out here wouldn't translate well.

It's too bad to see people downing this one, I mean to each their own but we don't often get deeper horror movies like this in the Conjuring, Nun, and whatever other half baked horror flicks universe we're in.

Definitely a big improvement over Get Out.

Can't wait to watch this one again.

JZ1276 08-05-19 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11 (Post 13589158)
Loved how both the Mother and son were tethers

The son was not a tether... at least I didn't think so.

clappj 08-06-19 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276 (Post 13589289)
The son was not a tether... at least I didn't think so.

Yes, the son Jason is the child of a tethered (obviously), but not a tethered himself.

JZ1276 08-06-19 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by clappj (Post 13589647)
Yes, the son Jason is the child of a tethered (obviously), but not a tethered himself.

Right. So what is Rival11 talking about then?

Rival11 08-08-19 09:19 AM

I know you posted this a while ago but it actually does all make sense (I'm not saying that just because I love the flick either) Red was a regular human and had a revenge streak in her, what they were coming up with was basically pre-mediated. The other family was offed quickly because they were ALL tethers.

Yes, the clones were a failed experiment - in typical Government fashion, they just walked away from a failed experiment without cleaning up - this one should have been obvious. It's two people sharing a soul - the actions of either can't be done unless both exist.

-------------------------------------------------
In regards to me saying that the son was a tether, Peele himself hinted at this (but never came right out and said too much about it) - the son knew how to control his tether and he was the only one who could (when he made him walk backwards into fire) this makes more sense if the suppose real son was the tether as the human son would have no idea he could do such a thing (and definitely wouldn't be calm while doing so) also remember, the tethers knew about the humans and the humans had no idea about the tethers..

The real son was obsessed with fire and even burned himself badly, the tether couldn't really get the magic fire device to ever work.

At the beach, the two girls from the other family pointed out that he was weird for making tunnels in the sand instead of sand castles.

When the two were swapped out - I don't know.

rennervision 08-08-19 11:28 PM

Just saw this, and this was perhaps the biggest fault of the movie for me because it very quickly became obvious the family wasn't going to die. So all tension was gone and the movie was no longer scary - a big offense for a horror film.

And of course for days I've been trying to wrap my mind around the utter preposterousness of the plot. Talk about a premise that requires suspension of disbelief! I'm thinking it needed a different explanation. Something like a parallel universe where a portal joining both universes was in the fun house. But really - any explanation would have been better than what we got. It probably should have leaned more towards supernatural than sci-fi to make sense.

Get Out sort of had a ridiculous premise too, but it was believable somehow. It was definitely a better film.

Josh-da-man 11-26-19 11:29 PM

Just caught this on HBO over the weekend.

Pretty good film. I went in cold and unspoiled; I was expecting a horror movie where a family is being attacked by their dopplegangers, not an apocalyptic film. So that surprised me.

I saw the Addy/Red twist coming from a mile away. I thought it was fairly obvious from the opening of the movie that the girls had somehow switched places.

I understand that the whole thing is a metaphor on class structure in American society, but I couldn't help but wondering where all of those food rabbits were coming from for hundreds of millions of people living in underground tunnels. Or where they got all of those matching red jumpsuits and leather gloves. And scissors. :lol: Also, the logistics of every single American having some kind of clone underground that mimics the actions (right down to entering relationships with the same counterpart, and bearing the same children) doesn't make a lot of sense, outside of some handwaving about sharing a soul or somesuch. What do the dopplegangers do when their counterparts travel by plane, move overseas, or marry someone from another country?

AfiLai 11-27-19 03:57 AM

A horror/thriller that's unlike others. I found the storyline to be quite enjoyable as it was a breath of fresh air from the typical horror movies I've seen.

Norm de Plume 11-27-19 07:51 PM

Re: Us (2019, D: Jordan Peele) S: Nyong’o, Duke, Moss

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13572199)
Jordan Peele's second film has a lot of interesting ideas, but fails in its delivery with some plot holes and by using cliched horror tropes. The brilliance of Get Out was its slow burn sense of dread, which this film could have used.

2.5/5

:up: This was effectively how I felt about the film.