DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Us (Peele, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/647096-us-peele-2019-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

dex14 03-27-19 06:37 AM

Re: Us (Peele, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13523578)

I liked the opening imagery from 1986 with the old school TV and the VHS tapes laying around. Could anyone make out what movies they were? I noticed a few of them were WB titles.

CHUD was one... and an obvious reference/influence. The Goonies, The Man with Two Brains, The Right Stuff.

IDrinkMolson 03-27-19 12:17 PM

What was the hand written VHS tape? I think it said Tuesday or something?

BTW, forgot to mention. Someone brought a baby to my showing... -screwy-

dex14 03-27-19 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson (Post 13523826)

BTW, forgot to mention. Someone brought a baby to my showing... -screwy-

I thought that one was The Goonies.

Also... if it hasn't been mentioned... the boardwalk area is the same from The Lost Boys. There is even a line “You know they’re shooting a movie over there by the carousel.”

Why So Blu? 03-27-19 12:42 PM

Seeing it again Friday night - in Dolby Cinema.

Greg MacGuffin 03-27-19 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson (Post 13523826)

Think it was "Tuesday Night."

johnnysd 03-29-19 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 13522226)
I am not understanding the love for this flick.

It is not remotely scary or even creepy. It makes zero sense. The premise is beyond stupid. And the acting is fucking atrocious.

The only reason I didn't give it a zero was due to several of the funny lines in the movie. The rest is sheer shit.

The "twist" is telegraphed a mile away. No tension in scenes and if there was any tension started it is ruined by a (often funny) joke. The plot is full of holes and is laughable.

Half of the audience was laughing or snickering most of the time when the women did her "scary" speaking or the man did his (as listed above) Chewbacca growl. These were supposed to be eerie moments but came across as comical because they sounded so dumb. As someone else mentioned, the shadows reacted to different "rules" as was necessary for the story.

I like open interpretation movies if they give you something to work with but this gives nothing. With a horror movie, to be scared you have to accept the premise of the story. As you move along, since you have accepted what is happening is real, you get emotionally involved and have reactions to the horror that you find the characters sucked into. This is not one of those movies since premise is so silly and poorly acted and just happened out of left field for no reason at all. I liked Get Out though I thought it was a little overrated. But this film blows its overrated-ness out of the water. :lol:

And if the woman was indeed switched, how did she describe what was happening in the subways before she even got there?

The mind numbing gymnastics to accept the logistics of the main plot are impossible to overcome if you try to comprehend even a tiny shred of this movie.

Ugh...as you can see...I hated it. I hope this doesn't create a whole bunch of copycats in horror just because it was successful.

And Hands Across America...seriously??? :lol: Just so fucking dumb.

Just a warning to horror fans....you will likely be very disappointed. The only people I would see liking this are those who haven't seen a horror movie in 30 years, those who scare easily or those who enjoy the indecipherable.

Im with you. I liked Get Out and was looking forward to his follow on, but I thought was a horrible movie, I gave it 1.5 stars mostly for the scene where they argue about kill tallies, but this movie was awful. And I figured the "twist" like instantly. Whatever.

johnnysd 03-29-19 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13523855)
Seeing it again Friday night - in Dolby Cinema.

I couldn't possibly stay awake in a second showing. We seem to be complete opposites in movie evaluation.

Why So Blu? 03-30-19 02:08 AM

I just got back and it was great. Dolby Cinema rocks and I picked up on even more stuff that I had originally missed. If you guys get the chance - look up Jeremiah 11:11 - that's some fucked up shit.

OldBoy 03-30-19 02:21 PM

i don't know what i saw or understand it too much, but i liked it, a lot. very eerie, creepy, effective, but how were the sewer people made or created?

Why So Blu? 03-30-19 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13525411)
i don't know what i saw or understand it too much, but i liked it, a lot. very eerie, creepy, effective, but how were the sewer people made or created?

They an abandoned U.S. government experiment.

OldBoy 03-30-19 07:36 PM

How did we know that? I heard evil Lupita talking about they made us here and stuff and all went mad and stuff, but didn’t hear anything about government. So did they just take over the US? And the rabbits were their food? And is Winston Duke in this a dead ringer for Peele? I thought why didn’t he just put himself in role?

Abob Teff 03-30-19 08:24 PM

She said it was a government experiment trying to control American citizens.

I will agree it was one of the weaker aspects of the story. That is fairly evident when it has to be said in exposition with NOTHING else in the movie having anything to do with it. Two things I would have cut were the explanation of where they came from (just leave it supernatural as Red’s tale implies) and the Hands Across America bit ... it doesn’t pay off and it doesn’t make sense.

Yes, the rabbits were their food.

Did they take over the US? Uhhh ... We don’t know. We don’t know exactly what the plan was or what happened afterwards.

As for Winston Duke ... I kept seeing him as Anthony Anderson. I am still damned impressed though. The character of Gabe wasn’t very deep, but when you realize the guy was Mbaku in Black Panther it is more impressive.

Mike86 03-31-19 06:38 PM

Just got out of a matinee showing for this. I liked it quite a bit. Not sure I really understood the Hands Across America stuff really in relation to the story. I also didn’t find it very scary personally. Maybe a bit creepy, but more than anything it reminded me of an episode of The Twilight Zone or something (which bodes well for the new version Peele is doing). I knew the spoiler for the end going in, but I think that was pretty evident even to people who didn’t know it. Seemed pretty spelled out that the tethered swapped places. Overall though still an enjoyable movie.

johnnysd 04-01-19 03:32 AM

Maybe this movie is a sign I should give up movies all together. I don't really like the superhero movies, not looking forward to the new Avengers movie, didn't think any of the Oscar candidates were good movies, Star Wars now sucks, hate Tarantinos last 2 movies, hate every Nolan movie, thought Blade Runner was possibly the worst movie that I anxiously looked forward to and in a like vein think US is one of the worst and dumbest movies I have seen, but many here like it quite a bit. I am just out of touch it seems with modern movies. I'll just go back to watching Mr Blandings Builds his dream house, and a bunch of movies from the 70s and 80s and call it a day. Probably not, but I don't get it.

RichC2 04-01-19 08:35 AM

Different sensibilities. Character-drive movies have been given the shaft in favor of twisty plots and "thrill ride" experiences - They still make them, they're just normally relegated to indie theaters, VOD, and serialized TV shows now.

Best reviewed movie of last year was one of those (Leave No Trace), and the Independent Spirit Awards normally have the better nominees.

Giantrobo 04-01-19 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13525848)
Just got out of a matinee showing for this. I liked it quite a bit. Not sure I really understood the Hands Across America stuff really in relation to the story. I also didn’t find it very scary personally. Maybe a bit creepy, but more than anything it reminded me of an episode of The Twilight Zone or something (which bodes well for the new version Peele is doing). I knew the spoiler for the end going in, but I think that was pretty evident even to people who didn’t know it. Seemed pretty spelled out that the tethered swapped places. Overall though still an enjoyable movie.

The story starts in 1986 when Hands Across America happened. The Girl had an HAA shirt on when she was with her parents at the Peir/Carnival...and when she went into the "Fun house". It's a KEY point in the story that one needs to know for later. Maybe you knowing the ending going in is why you don't get the significance of HAA and how it relates to the Main Female character?

Side note, it's funny to see who many people are either too young to remember it, or totally forgot about it.

Why So Blu? 04-01-19 12:05 PM

For those that say the HAA with the dopplegangers didn't work, it totally worked. They killed their "real" selves and united in our world. The first one was the dude at the beach that had the blood dripping down his hand then the group gradually got bigger.

Giantrobo 04-01-19 01:04 PM

I saw this Saturday and I'm still digesting it. I went in only having seen the trailer and not knowing anything else due to avoiding articles and posts about it. I was shocked that the story didn't
Spoiler:
just stay with the main family; and that it went widespread in a very "Walking Dead" or "Night of the Living Dead" type way.
I was also shocked that the story wasn't fully supernatural and in fact was more sci fi.

The "Big Twist" that...
Spoiler:
the girl in the beginning was actually replaced and lived underground for 30 years and orchestrated the literal uprising.
at the end was shocking, sad, Mindfucky, and pretty creepy.

It reminded me of the OG Twilight Zone ep where
Spoiler:
the store Mannequin had been given a year to live out in the real world and she totally forgot that she was in fact a Mannequin. She went to the store where she came from to shop not remembering that was the store she came from.... and all this weird shit happens because she was being reminded of who she really was. Finally all the other Mannequins came to life and scolded her for being late in coming back because it was someone else's turn to go out.

Obi-Wan Jabroni 04-01-19 01:50 PM

I went in with nothing to go on but the trailer, and in the opening, when the girl came across her doppelganger in the funhouse and then wouldn't talk anymore, her having been replaced was literally the first place that my mind went. So the twist was not really shocking at all, for me.

DJariya 04-01-19 02:40 PM

I took Adelaide's encounter with Red and then not speaking as being traumatized by the incident. I didn't think right away...oh wow, they must have traded places.

asianxcore 04-01-19 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13526179)
II was shocked that the story didn't
Spoiler:
just stay with the main family; and that it went widespread in a very "Walking Dead" or "Night of the Living Dead" type way.

I thought it would have been a much stronger film had it just stuck with your first point.

I made this point in my earlier post but I wonder how much say the city of Santa Cruz, CA had in what could be shown in or around the Boardwalk as well as East Cliff Drive areas. We are supposed to believe that chaos is all around us but many of these locations looks severely undressed with mayhem, almost to the point of looking amateurish in execution (minus the car scene with Pluto).

Tourism is a $700 million dollar industry for Santa Cruz, CA, so I wonder if they put limitations on Jordan Peele.

Giantrobo 04-01-19 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13526215)
I took Adelaide's encounter with Red and then not speaking as being traumatized by the incident. I didn't think right away...oh wow, they must have traded places.

Same. Plus didn't Red say the other girl ran? And Red also wondered why she didn't take her with her. So why would one believe there was a switch?

Obi-Wan Jabroni 04-01-19 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13526215)

I wasn't sure that was the case, but that's what I suspected almost immediately. When you know that there was two of them in there, and her parents literally say in the doctor's office that she "isn't the same girl", I just put two and two together.

Giantrobo 04-01-19 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13526239)
I wasn't sure that was the case, but that's what I suspected almost immediately. When you know that there was two of them in there, and her parents literally say in the doctor's office that she "isn't the same girl", I just put two and two together.

Fair enough. The phrase could go both ways and it's clear Peele was playing games with it. I mean, not the same girl could legit describe Trauma or a Switch.

Mike86 04-01-19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13526138)
The story starts in 1986 when Hands Across America happened. The Girl had an HAA shirt on when she was with her parents at the Peir/Carnival...and when she went into the "Fun house". It's a KEY point in the story that one needs to know for later. Maybe you knowing the ending going in is why you don't get the significance of HAA and how it relates to the Main Female character?

Side note, it's funny to see who many people are either too young to remember it, or totally forgot about it.

I know about Hands Across America. I still don’t exactly understand its significance though. :shrug: I guess I need it explained, but it felt like something random to throw in. Like I get because the tethered are trying to break free of their link to the people above ground but I don’t get it beyond that.