Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blonde (2022, D: Andrew Dominik) S: Ana de Armas as Marilyn Monroe

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-16-19, 07:33 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

For the last several years, Andrew Dominik has been developing an adaptation of Joyce Carol Oates‘ acclaimed novel Blonde at Netflix, and at long last, he has settled on his Marilyn Monroe. Multiple sources tell Collider that Blade Runner 2049 star Ana de Armas is Dominik’s choice to play the Hollywood icon best known for films such as Some Like It Hot, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and The Seven Year Itch.

A representative for Netflix could not immediately be reached. Sources caution that while de Armas is in early talks, she does not have a closed deal yet, nor has been greenlit yet by the streaming company, though others say production could start as soon as this summer.

Dominik wrote the script and will produce along with Brad Pitt and Dede Gardner‘s Plan B banner. Pitt starred in two of Dominik’s films, The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford and Killing Them Softly. Blonde follows the talented Norma Jeane Mortenson as she blossoms into movie star Marilyn Monroe. But after a series of failed relationships and heartbreaking tragedy, she spirals into drug addiction and mental instability.

Dominik previously told Collider that he believes Blonde “will be one of the ten best movies ever made,” explaining that “it’s a film about the human condition. It tells the story of how a childhood trauma shapes an adult who’s split between a public and a private self. It’s basically the story of every human being, but it’s using a certain sense of association that we have with something very familiar, just through media exposure. It takes all of those things and turns the meanings of them inside out, according to how she feels, which is basically how we live. It’s how we all operate in the world. It just seems to me to be very resonant. I think the project has got a lot of really exciting possibilities, in terms of what can be done, cinematically.”

Speaking of which, Dominik has also said in past interviews that Blonde will be “a little more accessible than what I’ve done before” even though the film “has very little dialogue in it,” adding that he’s “really excited about doing a movie that’s an avalanche of images and events.”

The project has had a long development history, with Naomi Watts and Jessica Chastain slated to play Marilyn in past incarnations. De Armas may not have the same wealth of experience as a lead, but she has been making a name for herself as a rising star over the past four years. The Cuban actress broke out in Eli Roth‘s infidelity thriller Knock Knock before landing key roles in Todd Phillips‘ arms dealer dramedy War Dogs and, perhaps most memorably, as Ryan Gosling‘s holographic love interest Joi in Denis Villenueve‘s Blade Runner 2049. De Armas has already wrapped several high-profile features including Rian Johnson‘s murder mystery Knives Out and Danny Boyle‘s romantic musical Yesterday, and she’s currently working on Olivier Assayas‘ thriller Wasp Network with Penelope Cruz and Edgar Ramirez.

De Armas is represented by CAA, Impression Entertainment and Kuranda Management.
Ana de Armas to Play Marilyn Monroe in Andrew Dominik's Blonde | Collider

Old 03-16-19, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
re: Blonde (2022, D: Andrew Dominik) S: Ana de Armas as Marilyn Monroe

She's gonna have to gain a wee-bit of weight to play MM.

Old 08-29-19, 02:24 PM

As it heads into production in Los Angeles, Netflix's Marilyn Monroe movie Blonde has rounded out its cast.

As previously announced, Ana de Armas will play the Some Like It Hot actress, leading a cast that will include Adrien Brody, Bobby Cannavale and Julianne Nicholson.

Jackie actor Caspar Phillipson, Toby Huss, Sara Paxton and David Warshofsky will also appear in the feature, along with Lily Fisher (General Hospital), Evan Williams (Versailles) and Xavier Samuel (Adore).

The Assassination of Jesse James' Andrew Dominik wrote and will direct the movie.

Blonde is based on the novel of the same name by Joyce Carol Oates that boldly reimagined the private story of the world's most famous sex symbol. The film is a fictional portrait of the model, actress and singer during the '50s and '60s told through the modern lens of celebrity culture.

Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner are producing for Plan B, along with Tracey Landon and Scott Robertson.

Cannavale, repped by WME and Schreck Rose, will next be seen in the streamer's Martin Scorsese mob movie The Irishman. Brody, repped by Paradigm, is set for Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch. Nicholson will appear in the Disney+ movie Togo and is repped by UTA.

Phillipson is repped by Locus Entertainment, ATN Management and Hatton McEwan Penford. Paxton is repped by Gersh and 3 Arts. Huss is repped by Abrams Artists and Artists First. Warshofsky is repped by TalentWorks. Williams is repped by Global Artists Agency and Robert Stein Management.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...edium=referral
Old 08-30-19, 11:06 AM

Last edited by dex14; 12-26-19 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-03-21, 03:41 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

hmmm...
Old 08-03-21, 03:51 PM

That’s funny. I wonder if it’s true. I know someone who worked on it who said they basically were going to have to re-record all of de Armas’ dialogue to get her voice right.
Old 08-03-21, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

How could Netflix not know what kind of movie they were going to get? Seems like something that should have been working out by lawyers before they even started filming.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (02-11-22)
Old 08-03-21, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

As long as we get a director's cut, too. Like THAT'LL ever happen.
Old 08-03-21, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
How could Netflix not know what kind of movie they were going to get? Seems like something that should have been working out by lawyers before they even started filming.
Netflix has been, in general, extremely hands off with their titles. This may change that.
Old 08-03-21, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Netflix has been, in general, extremely hands off with their titles. This may change that.
Is the MPAA involved with streaming films? I know typically, at least, contracts are drawn up to determine the rating (ie, it has to be edited for an ‘R’ rating).

I’m curious if these kinds of contractual obligations are disregarded for streaming.
John Pannozzi (02-11-22)
Old 08-03-21, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Netflix had "Love" on their service for a while. It had hardcore scenes.
Deftones (08-03-21)
Old 08-03-21, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Netflix had "Love" on their service for a while. It had hardcore scenes.
That wasn’t a Netflix owned award contender film though.

This film has been in the works for over a decade. There’s no way Netflix didn’t look at the script.

One of the Cannes programmers saw the film and said it was beautiful. Maybe his idea of beautiful is a movie with rape and bloody cunnilingus though…

Last edited by dex14; 10-11-21 at 12:55 PM.
John Pannozzi (02-11-22)
Old 10-11-21, 12:56 PM

Happy to report that after hefty post-production battles, Andrew Dominik will happen be getting final cut on his Marilyn Monroe biopic “Blonde.”

Netflix has allowed Dominik to release the film as it was, unfiltered and without any cuts, maybe after realizing that “Blonde” wasn’t going to contend for Oscars and was a straight-up arthouse affair.

Dominik’s cut is said to be rated NC-17. It was originally set to world premiere at the Venice Film Festival before being pulled out by Netflix late in the game. I broke the Netflix/Dominik dispute in the summer which led to a small online campaign by fans to give Dominik, a major auteur in world cinema, the cut that he so richly deserved.

There is no word yet on a possible release date for “Blonde”and whether or not the rumour that this will also be submitted to the Sundance Film Festival is true.
https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/202...e5v3lyd4i36wkw
Old 10-11-21, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Why is there so much sex in this version of Marilyn's story? I get it, she slept with Kennedy, right? She also is the subject of some pics that were found quite a few years back that allegedly show her being photographed giving a BJ, so I really do get it...she had affairs and sex with men and some of it may have been photographed, is this why the film received an NC-17 rating? I need to read up on this film when I get the time.

It is just that one would not think that a film based on Monroe's life would be filled with scenes intended to "shock" the viewer, it just feels wrong. Anyway, it will be on Netflix soon enough so I can judge for myself if I so desire.
Old 10-11-21, 02:00 PM

Re: Blonde (2022, D: Andrew Dominik) S: Ana de Armas as Marilyn Monroe

It’s not a straight up Monroe biopic. It is based on the novel Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates, who considers it a work a fiction.
John Pannozzi (06-21-22)
Old 10-11-21, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I would guess they want to show how a public figure known for her sexuality would be depicted in the 2020s instead of the 1950s-‘60s.
Old 10-11-21, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Why is there so much sex in this version of Marilyn's story? I get it, she slept with Kennedy, right? She also is the subject of some pics that were found quite a few years back that allegedly show her being photographed giving a BJ, so I really do get it...she had affairs and sex with men and some of it may have been photographed, is this why the film received an NC-17 rating? I need to read up on this film when I get the time.

It is just that one would not think that a film based on Monroe's life would be filled with scenes intended to "shock" the viewer, it just feels wrong. Anyway, it will be on Netflix soon enough so I can judge for myself if I so desire.

She slept around a lot, and I mean a lot. I was pretty shocked and saddened when I found out some things about her.

Old 02-11-22, 08:39 AM

Andrew Dominik says Netflix's Marilyn Monroe biopic ‘Blonde’ heading for out of Competition Cannes slot (exclusive)
Andrew Dominik, director of Netflix’s Blonde, said he hopes the film will premiere in Cannes in May in an out-of-Competition berth after a reported offer by the streamer to give the film an eight-month theatrical window in France was turned down by the festival.

“[Netflix] said, ‘We’ll put the movie in theatres for eight months before we bring it out on the platform’,” Dominik told Screen. (A full interview with Dominik will be published in tomorrow’s Screen daily EFM digital edition.)

Netflix is subject to a 15-month window between a film’s release on its French service and a theatrical release under an overhaul of France’s strict media chronology laws. Cannes requires all films screening in Competition to commit to a full theatrical release in France.

According to the filmmaker, festival director Thierry Fremaux “loves” the title. Screen has contacted Netflix for comment.

Dominik was bullish in the face of the reported NC-17 rating in the US for Blonde, which he described as “a bunch of horseshit”. If confirmed by US ratings board the MPA, Blonde will be the first Netflix Original to receive what can be a commercially prohibitive certification due to the limited number of US theatres that will book an NC-17 film.

“It’s a demanding movie,” he said. “If the audience doesn’t like it, that’s the fucking audience’s problem. It’s not running for public office.

”It’s an NC-17 movie about Marilyn Monroe, it’s kind of what you want, right?” he continued. “I want to go and see the NC-17 version of the Marilyn Monroe story.”

Blonde shot in 2019 and Dominik said it has picture-locked, after Netflix “insisted” on bringing in acclaimed editor Jennifer Lame, whose credits include Tenet and Manchester By The Sea, early last year “to curb the excesses of the movie,” as Dominik put it.

Rumours of a scene featuring bloody menstrual cunnilingus are untrue and “hilarious” according to the director. However, a rape scene is in there, taken from the 2000 Joyce Carol Oates book of the same name on which the film is based.

He said there was “work involved” in making Cuban actress Ana de Armas, who plays Monroe, “sound American”; and that “she is fucking amazing – the one thing nobody’s going to complain about is [de Armas’] performance.”

He also praised Netflix for supporting the title despite having issues with some of the content, saying “It’s much easier to support stuff when you like it. It’s much harder when you don’t. I have nothing but gratitude for Netflix.”

The film is “critical of American sacred cows” according to its director, who added that it “wouldn’t have got done” without the #MeToo movement “because nobody was interested in that sort of shit – what it’s like to be an unloved girl, or what it’s like to go through the Hollywood meat-grinder.”

Dominik is at the Berlinale this weekend with Berlinale Special title This Much I Know To Be True, his second documentary about Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds frontman Nick Cave, with bandmate Warren Ellis.
https://www.screendaily.com/news/and...167553.article
Old 02-11-22, 06:15 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Geez this taking forever. Shot in 2019 and it will probably be fall of 2022 before it hits Netflix.
Old 02-12-22, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Geez this taking forever. Shot in 2019 and it will probably be fall of 2022 before it hits Netflix.
That’s what you get for hiring Terrence Malick to edit your film.
Old 03-24-22, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Gets a NC-17 Rating.

Andrew Dominik’s ‘Blonde’ Confirmed For An NC-17 Rating (theplaylist.net)

Old 03-24-22, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's probably for something stupid like hips thrusting one too many times.
Old 06-16-22, 08:24 AM

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Old 06-16-22, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wonder who "she" is... her mom? Her assistant?
Old 06-16-22, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Wonder who "she" is... her mom? Her assistant?
Looks like she = "Marylin Monroe", a performer who was notorious for being late to set, and generally insecure with her persona.

I'm impressed with what I'm seeing of de Armas' manifestation of her.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.