Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blonde (2022, D: Andrew Dominik) S: Ana de Armas as Marilyn Monroe

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blonde (2022, D: Andrew Dominik) S: Ana de Armas as Marilyn Monroe

Old 09-28-22, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Re: Blonde (2022, D: Andrew Dominik) S: Ana de Armas as Marilyn Monroe

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/b...235385496/amp/

“She’s somebody who’s become this huge cultural thing in a whole load of movies that nobody really watches, right?” the New Zealand filmmaker said. “Does anyone watch Marilyn Monroe movies?”

director Andrew Dominik has previously said he was unfamiliar with Marilyn Monroe’s filmography before adapting Joyce Carol Oates’ book about the late actor. Now, Dominik says Monroe starred in a “whole lot of movies that nobody really watches,” calling her famous romance film “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes” a movie about “well-dressed whores.”
I was thinking about how Tarantino portrayed Sharon Tate in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, and contrasting it with how Marilyn Monroe was portrayed in Blonde. Makes perfect sense now.
Old 09-28-22, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

This is great.

Sits nice beside The Assassination of Jesse James.
Old 09-28-22, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
Can any of us even name 10 movies from the 50's that are culturally relevant (on a broad scale) today?
Is Citizen Kane culturally relevant today?
Is The Godfather?

(I know neither of these is from the 50s.)

Old 09-28-22, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by feenst View Post
Is Citizen Kane culturally relevant today?
Is The Godfather?

(I know neither of these is from the 50s.)
But even more to the point:
Is Don’t Bother to Knock?
Is River of No Return?
Is The Prince and the Showgirl?

Let’s be honest. Anyone under 40 probably couldn’t name any of Monroe’s movies and anyone under 50 probably couldn’t name more than two or three.

Personally, I’ve seen more movies ABOUT Marilyn Monroe than I have movies starring/featuring Marilyn Monroe.
Old 09-29-22, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 202 Likes on 134 Posts

I guess since Monroe's films aren't a well known part of culture anymore it is OK to basically shit all over her with a fictionalized movie.
Old 09-29-22, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Thing is, if you say no one remembers any of Marilyn’s films you can say that about ANY actor of the golden era. Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyck, Bette Davis, Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman, Lauren Bacall, Vivian Leigh etc. But I don’t think he would say that about them. I don’t think that’s what he is saying at all. I think he’s saying that all Monroe films aren’t worth anything, it’s all about her infamy. And if that’s not what he’s saying, then by process of elimination he’s saying no one remembers old movies basically, because if Marilyn’s filmography isn’t remembered then why would any actress from the golden age be remembered? Some Like it Hot, All About Eve, The Misfits, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes carry as much esteem as the films that any of those actresses made in a 10 year period. Either he’s being a piece of shit about Marilyn because of her infamy and personal life, or he’s a filmmaker who’s COMPLETELY ignorant about his own profession. He’s a fucking moron either way.
Old 09-29-22, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 947 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
the black-and-white emulating night vision photography to reveal the CIA spooks hiding in the shadows). When it ended I let the end credits play all the way through, not ready to come out of that world yet. It creeped me out, it disturbed me.
That scene was pretty effective but since I didn't read the book, I was wondering if it was covered in the book or was it something Andrew put in there. And the night vision was an interesting choice.
Old 09-29-22, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 752 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
But even more to the point:
Is Don’t Bother to Knock?
Is River of No Return?
Is The Prince and the Showgirl?

Let’s be honest. Anyone under 40 probably couldn’t name any of Monroe’s movies and anyone under 50 probably couldn’t name more than two or three.

Personally, I’ve seen more movies ABOUT Marilyn Monroe than I have movies starring/featuring Marilyn Monroe.
I am one under 50. Let me give this a go from memory:

The Asphalt Jungle
Clash by Night
All About Eve
Some Like It Hot
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Niagara
Bus Stop
Let's Make Love
The Seven Year Itch
The Misfits
How to Marry a Millionaire

Of the top of my head...but I'm an old Hollywood lover.

That said, I do agree with the fact that most younger people of today would know Monroe as an iconic image (and perhaps a great Elton John tune) then for her films. Which is sad because she made some pretty great movies.

Old 09-29-22, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Thing is, if you say no one remembers any of Marilyn’s films you can say that about ANY actor of the golden era. Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyck, Bette Davis, Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman, Lauren Bacall, Vivian Leigh etc. But I don’t think he would say that about them. I don’t think that’s what he is saying at all. I think he’s saying that all Monroe films aren’t worth anything, it’s all about her infamy. And if that’s not what he’s saying, then by process of elimination he’s saying no one remembers old movies basically, because if Marilyn’s filmography isn’t remembered then why would any actress from the golden age be remembered? Some Like it Hot, All About Eve, The Misfits, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes carry as much esteem as the films that any of those actresses made in a 10 year period. Either he’s being a piece of shit about Marilyn because of her infamy and personal life, or he’s a filmmaker who’s COMPLETELY ignorant about his own profession. He’s a fucking moron either way.
This post had me thinking what I could remember from those named:

Joan Crawford: Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
Barbara Stanwyck: Double Indemnity, Baby Face
Bette Davis: All About Eve, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, Jezebel, Dark Victory, The Petrified Forest
Katherine Hepburn: Bringing Up Baby, Stage Door, The Philadelphia Story, On Golden Pond, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Adam's Rib, The African Queen
Audrey Hepburn: Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sabrina, Roman Holiday, My Fair Lady, Charade, Wait Until Dark, Paris When it Sizzles, War and Peace, Funny Face, Always (though I will admit she's one of my favourite actresses and I just got a box set of most of these flicks)
Ingrid Bergman: Casablanca, Notorious, Spellbound, The Bells of St. Mary's
Lauren Bacall: The Big Sleep, How to Marry a Millionaire, To Have and Have Not, Dark Passage, Key Largo, Misery, Dogville
Vivian Leigh: Streetcar Named Desire, Gone With the Wind

Totally thought I could think of more Vivian Leigh and Joan Crawford flicks off the top of my head but I got nothing.
Old 09-29-22, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Sits nice beside The Assassination of Jesse James.
After watching "fact vs fiction" videos on these two on Youtube, I'd say that this is accurate. Both are very fictionalized biopics.

Might as well do a third to complete an informal trilogy.
Old 09-29-22, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having finished "Blonde" today with plenty of starts and stops, I think I'd rather watch "Schindler's List" again than "Blonde" ever in my life.
Old 09-29-22, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman View Post
Having finished "Blonde" today with plenty of starts and stops, I think I'd rather watch "Schindler's List" again than "Blonde" ever in my life.
Old 09-29-22, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman View Post
So Blonde sucks compared to a great movie? I wasn't much interested in this flick but fail to see the point you're trying to make.
Old 09-29-22, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He is saying they’re both sad movies to watch.
Old 09-29-22, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 202 Likes on 134 Posts

I didn't know that Brad Pitt produced Blonde. Didn't Angelina Jolie make some claim about verbal abuse by Pitt? Can we get a movie based on Pitt sexually abusing their kids and beating Jolie now since taking artistic license with a famous person's life to make a film is OK?
Old 09-29-22, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I didn't know that Brad Pitt produced Blonde. Didn't Angelina Jolie make some claim about verbal abuse by Pitt? Can we get a movie based on Pitt sexually abusing their kids and beating Jolie now since taking artistic license with a famous person's life to make a film is OK?
Who knows, write the novel and see who picks it up for adaptation and takes creative license with it like in the case of both this and Jesse James.

That said, how similar is this to the book?
Old 09-29-22, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Maybe in 50 years. Depending how we remember him.

I know nothing about Monroe. The mom issue and orphanage? The sexual abuse in Hollywood? Abortions? Was any of that based on truth? The three marriages are documented. And all of the public shoots etc. She’d died from a pill OD.
Old 09-30-22, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 947 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
how similar is this to the book?
‘Blonde’: How Does the Ana de Armas Movie Differ From the Book?