Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Good Boys (2019, EP: Rogen/Goldberg, D: Stupnitsky) S: Tremblay, Noon, Williams

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-11-19, 09:26 AM

RED BAND - NSFW

Just how bad can one day get? The creative minds behind Superbad, Pineapple Express and Sausage Party take on sixth grade hard in the outrageous comedy, Good Boys.

After being invited to his first kissing party, 12-year-old Max (Room’s Jacob Tremblay) is panicking because he doesn’t know how to kiss. Eager for some pointers, Max and his best friends Thor (Brady Noon, HBO’s Boardwalk Empire) and Lucas (Keith L. Williams, Fox’s The Last Man On Earth) decide to use Max’s dad’s drone – which Max is forbidden to touch – to spy (they think) on a teenage couple making out next door.

But when things go ridiculously wrong, the drone is destroyed. Desperate to replace it before Max’s dad (Will Forte, The Last Man on Earth) gets home, the boys skip school and set off on an odyssey of epically bad decisions involving some accidentally stolen drugs, frat-house paintball, and running from both the cops and terrifying teenage girls (Life of the Party’s Molly Gordon and Ocean’s Eight’s Midori Francis).

From Point Grey producers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, the writers of Superbad, Pineapple Express and Sausage Party, and James Weaver (Neighbors), Good Boys, from Universal Pictures and Good Universe, is written by the team of Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky (NBC’s The Office, Bad Teacher). Eisenberg also produces and Stupnitsky directs.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7343762

Whoa... another Super Bad like film... with the same Run The Jewels song in the trailer... and has Molly Gordon and Will Forte in it... just like Booksmart.
Old 03-11-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: Good Boys (2019, EP: Rogen/Goldberg, D: Stupnitsky) S: Tremblay, Noon, Williams

That looks terrible. Several cliche jokes in there. Running across the highway isn’t that funny and it’s been done several times.
Old 03-11-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Good Boys (2019, EP: Rogen/Goldberg, D: Stupnitsky) S: Tremblay, Noon, Williams

Pretty, uhh, stiff dildo that can keep doors from being pushed open. I was about to ask if Rogen would ever get tired of pushing the same tired buttons, but then I looked this up and realized he didn't write it.
Old 03-11-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I laughed out loud at the red band trailer - "How many husbands does she have?" Seems like it'll be fun!
Old 03-12-19, 12:25 PM

Some SXSW reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/goo..._2019/reviews/
Old 06-10-19, 11:03 AM

Old 06-10-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Wait, so it never came out?
Old 06-10-19, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Wait, so it never came out?
August 16
Old 06-10-19, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Rated R, so the kids in the movie canít see it without their parents.
Old 08-02-19, 01:32 PM

Old 08-12-19, 03:29 PM

Opens this week. Currently at 83% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/good_boys_2019
Old 08-14-19, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny that Rogen/Goldberg have a movie titled "Good Boys" at the same time "The Boys" is streaming. I wonder if that led to some confusing conversations, "Which are we talking about again, Seth?!"
Old 08-14-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They showed the red band trailer in front of my digital showing of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and it did not go over well. Personally, I think it looks like shit. What was funny was that when the title pops up at the end "Good Boys" the old guy sitting in front of me went "Oh boy..."

Old 08-15-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
That looks terrible. Several cliche jokes in there. Running across the highway isnít that funny and itís been done several times.
I just saw an advanced screening of this on Tuesday night. It's a pretty decent movie for it's genre. If you liked Superbad and those style of movies, then you should love this. The movie pretty much play on constant scenes and comments about how eleven year olds would misinterpret in their innocent minds what various sex aid objects are and their uses for them. the theater was not quiet pretty much through out the entire movie. Every minute to minute and a half everyone was bursting out laughing. The sceen where the kids practice trying to kiss on a doll and the comments they made afterwards was probably the funniest part of the movie for me. I went to this one without seeing a trailer for it and just read a brief synopsis of the movie online. It is not one you would want to take your tween or pretween to and possible those under 16. I'm glad I didn't take my daughter to this one.
Old 08-19-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw this yesterday. it was pretty dumb but also pretty funny. Worth seeing. Also, its only about 90 minutes.
Old 09-01-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched this today and I enjoyed it. I would have enjoyed it more except for the two women a few seats over that were repeating almost every line and talking loudly through most of the movie.... 3.75/5 I might like it more if I watch it again without obnoxious people near me.
Old 09-04-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fun way to kill 90 minutes. Trailers showed too much, but there is plenty of humor beyond that to make it worth spending the time. I wish it had been a little longer, as it seemed as if there was more to milk out of some of the gags.
Old 09-04-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I watched this today and I enjoyed it. I would have enjoyed it more except for the two women a few seats over that were repeating almost every line and talking loudly through most of the movie.... 3.75/5 I might like it more if I watch it again without obnoxious people near me.
Should have hit them with your nunchucks.
Old 09-27-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, this has been out since early August and only 4 people here saw it?

I'm way late to this. I caught a matinee this afternoon and I thought it was pretty funny. The kids were likable and had good moments between them. The trailers did give away a lot. And being that this movie had underaged kids in it, they could only push vulgarity and sexual elements so far.

The freeway crossing gag I recall was done before in Bowfinger.

and such a missed opportunity to do a flash forward at the end and have Craig Robinson play an older Lucas. That kid was great and he was my favorite of the 3.

It was an enjoyable way to spend 90 minutes on a Friday. Not one I think I'll ever revisit. I don't think this movie has any kind of replay value.

This is definitely not one for you to take your entire family to.
Old 09-27-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw it, just didn't post.