Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.85%
12.50%
38.46%
22.12%
11.54%
5.77%
1.92%
0.96%
0.96%
0%
1.92%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Abob...great write up, it made me chuckle and thank goodness you posted in the spoiler thread.
Old 03-17-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Saw it yesterday. It was good not great like many are saying here. I gave it 3.5 but it really is only a 3 star movie after thinking it over. I really only went to see how it ties to Endgame. If all I saw was the end credit scene I think I would have been fine missing the entire movie.
Old 03-17-19, 11:50 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
And I simply can’t belive the lukewarm reviews here on CM.
Like 85% of us have it 3.5 stars or above. That’s stellar in my book. But then, I don’t give 5 stars more than a few times a decade.
Old 03-17-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I’m fascinated by the split reviews on this. Admittedly I have no background with this character. Going in my level of knowledge made it very similar to Ant Man, which is honestly a good thing.

I’ve recently found more and more that my level of enjoyment for a film corresponds to my expectations. Here I really didn’t have any, so it didn’t have anything to live up to. Only reason we went to see it instead of waiting is because I felt it would tie very heavily into Endgame.

Somebody earlier mentioned one’d it felt very Phase I, which I think is an excellent comparison. I thought it had a lot of similarities to Thor I - in a good way.

I do think the sequence could have been tweaked, because it did ramp up once on Earth. But I still found it good.

Goose was definitely the highlight, especially when Fury tried to use him as a weapon.

I liked Larson, but again wasn’t familiar with her, so wasn’t expecting anything from her going in (or bad casting). She seemed to be having a blast towards the end as she remembered who she is, and ‘found’ herself.

Film definitely opens up future sequels that can happen before Avengers*. I also look forward to seeing how she fits into Endgame.

*watch one of the Guardians make a reference to knowing her in Endgame, so we can end up with a 10 year crossover in Guardians 3 or Captain Marvel 2.
Old 03-17-19, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07

*watch one of the Guardians make a reference to knowing her in Endgame, so we can end up with a 10 year crossover in Guardians 3 or Captain Marvel 2.
Quill mentions in GotG that he got a scar from a Kree girl...
Old 03-17-19, 09:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Like 85% of us have it 3.5 stars or above. That’s stellar in my book. But then, I don’t give 5 stars more than a few times a decade.
Yes, I see the numbers, but if you read a lot of our reviews, it shows the opposite...
Old 03-17-19, 11:11 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

A lot of people who vote don’t always write out a review. That might be why there seem to be more lukewarm reviews.
Old 03-18-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Saw it Saturday and liked it quite a bit... the music was good and I liked how the character evolved. That said, a few things threw me off:

1. Why was Marvel never capitalized on in any other movie? I know why (because they didn't think of it) but it makes for odd continuity
2. The Skrulls -- I know they were in other movies as the bad guys, right? I can't recall which one/s
3. She seems VERY over-powered... like she could take on Thanos, by herself, no problem

I suspect there is something up with the cat / Flerken(sp??) & the tesseract in the Endgame.
Old 03-18-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
2. The Skrulls -- I know they were in other movies as the bad guys, right? I can't recall which one/s
That was the Chitauri; they were the Ultimate (comics) version of Skrulls but later on they re-introduced the Skrulls. The Chitauri were Loki's soldiers in "The Avengers" but didn't have the shapeshifting abilities.
Old 03-18-19, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, is she going to go by Carol or "Ver" in Endgame? Because she never picked up the name 'Marvel' in the movie. A good way to go about it would be saying "my call sign is now Marvel" in tribute to Mar-vell. (And not have the 'Avenger' call sign at all)
Also is she even a captain?? Like she could be one in the Air Force, definitely didn't look like one in the Kree army.

In one of the Avengers cartoons it states her rank in the military, and I think at one point its learnt that she actually out ranks Captain America (she was a Major or something).
Old 03-18-19, 03:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by karoomba
So, is she going to go by Carol or "Ver" in Endgame? Because she never picked up the name 'Marvel' in the movie. A good way to go about it would be saying "my call sign is now Marvel" in tribute to Mar-vell. (And not have the 'Avenger' call sign at all)
Also is she even a captain?? Like she could be one in the Air Force, definitely didn't look like one in the Kree army.

In one of the Avengers cartoons it states her rank in the military, and I think at one point its learnt that she actually out ranks Captain America (she was a Major or something).
Pretty sure the Kree called her "Vers" because they only had a fragment of her Air Force dogtag, and "Carol Dan" had broken off, leave only "vers". She will go by her full name, Carol Danvers. But yeah, I don't recall the name "Captain Marvel" being used at all. She probably starts using it in the 25 year interim between CM and Engame.
Old 03-18-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I think they bring so much new stuff with each installment. They all build, they all have own style, but directors still tie stuff together which is amazing. Take Ragnarok, Waititi brought the most fun, most entertaining MCU of the lot, but stuff like GotG, Civil War, Homecoming, Doctor Strange, there all so good and different and leave me wanting more. They nail everything and bring something, maybe not new, but distinct in its own right.

And I simply can’t belive the lukewarm reviews here on CM. It just had so much of everything and I think, most heart. Not the most fun of the bunch. But I think it’s my 5th or 6th fav. It gave reason and meaning to every MCU movie to come before.
I don't really want to come in here and crap on these movies because I enjoy them all to a certain extent, but can you give us an example of something "new" Captain Marvel brought to the table? Was it the the quippy sass machine lead hero? Was it the wise old mentor/parental figure played by a well respected Hollywood actor who you wouldn't expect to be in a movie like this? Or maybe the completely forgettable villain whose name you probably couldn't recall 5 minutes after you left the theater? Was it the magical glowy macguffin thing everyone was chasing? Or could it have been the killer use of famous pop/rock songs to prop up the soundtrack? I mean my goodness, my favorite thing about this movie was Samuel L. Jackson and this is like the 10th time he's played Fury.
Old 03-18-19, 07:25 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought 3.75, rounded up to 4. I enjoyed it, liked the fallible memories aspect of it. Jackson de-aged looked great. Definitely haven't looked at my cat the same way all day.

Even though you could see it coming a mile away, I liked her little "Indiana Jones" moment toward the end.

Also, I love those Pitch Meeting videos. Another great one there!

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 03-18-19 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-18-19, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Family and I just came back from watching it. I fell asleep half way and snoring like a mofo. The guy next to me didn't mind since he was also fast asleep. It could have been the beer, being Monday, or the movie is just plain boring. First time in MCU that I have hit the snooze fest.
Old 03-19-19, 08:07 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

From Skull transformation to Goose the Cat to Captain Marvel herself, see how the Visual Effects from Marvel Studios’ Captain Marvel are brought to life!

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K8I34gxn-EM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-19-19, 11:37 AM

Saw it last night. Definitely middle of the road for me. I actually don't mind Larson. I think the pacing its not really there. The non-linear story telling affects the impact of some key scenes
Old 03-19-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by mapasu
Family and I just came back from watching it. I fell asleep half way and snoring like a mofo. The guy next to me didn't mind since he was also fast asleep. It could have been the beer, being Monday, or the movie is just plain boring. First time in MCU that I have hit the snooze fest.
i think you owe it yourself to see it to completion than just half ass it because you drunk passed out with a full stomach and assume it sucks. Try to catch an early bird show or matinee on a weekend.
Old 03-19-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Saw it last night. Definitely middle of the road for me. I actually don't mind Larson. I think the pacing its not really there. The non-linear story telling affects the impact of some key scenes
I didn’t think the non-linear aspect impacted scenes within the movie, but there was still a major problem with them: it was all shown in the commercials already. Non-linear story telling is effective when it conceals or reveals something notable. In this case, we already knew about it. Fail on the marketing team.
Old 03-19-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya

i think you owe it yourself to see it to completion than just half ass it because you drunk passed out with a full stomach and assume it sucks. Try to catch an early bird show or matinee on a weekend.
Or just read my last drunk synopsis ...
Old 03-19-19, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

I didn’t think the non-linear aspect impacted scenes within the movie, but there was still a major problem with them: it was all shown in the commercials already. Non-linear story telling is effective when it conceals or reveals something notable. In this case, we already knew about it. Fail on the marketing team.
Agree the trailers already told us she was human then brained washed to become someone else. So when she finds out her true identity it shocks no one. We are supposed to feel her shock but can't.

There is a little flashback of her as a child racing other boys then crashing, then been told by her dad she is an idiot for even trying. It shows she is determined, not afraid of battling many and even defiant of authority. It also serves as mirror of her future mentor and how she is still been put down by someone else
That extended segment should have been the start of the movie. It tells us everything we need to know about her character, her drive and need to prove herself. It even helps understand why she takes to the Skrulls plight but the movie just glances through it.
Old 03-19-19, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad I avoided the trailers as much as I could. Therefore it was still possible in my mind, that she could have always been some kind of Kree operative who was masquerading as an air force pilot (basically Mar-vell character). Or had some kind of Kree heritage but didn't know about it (like abandoned on earth as a baby).
Old 03-19-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by karoomba
I'm glad I avoided the trailers as much as I could. Therefore it was still possible in my mind, that she could have always been some kind of Kree operative who was masquerading as an air force pilot (basically Mar-vell character). Or had some kind of Kree heritage but didn't know about it (like abandoned on earth as a baby).

Isn't Star Lord like that but he's from Ego, so Mar-Vel is Kree, or some shit.
Old 03-19-19, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Took the family to see it tonight. It was fine. If I had to put it somewhere, it would probably be in the bottom third of Marvel movies.
Old 03-19-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I thought it was a lot of fun and a great appetizer for Avengers Endgame.
Old 03-19-19, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Isn't Star Lord like that but he's from Ego, so Mar-Vel is Kree, or some shit.

Quill’s mother was human, his dad was Ego. He’s half human.

Mar-Vell was a Kree posing as a human.

Carol Danvers is a human who was exposed to energy from the Tesseract (or something derivative) and then (allegedly) received a blood infusion from a Kree.

I miss Taffer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.