Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.85%
12.50%
38.46%
22.12%
11.54%
5.77%
1.92%
0.96%
0.96%
0%
1.92%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Smith admits he knew in his latest youtube video about the cameo. I have no doubt that he still teared up when he saw it in a theater.
Old 03-12-19, 02:24 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

That’s would be cool. I’d also almost be interested in seeing more of young Fury. Almost to the point I feel like he could carry a film (he carried half of this movie really if you ask me). I’m curious what he and SHIELD did for the time between this film and the events of Phase I. We’re things just quiet all that time and he was biding his time or what?
Sounds like a great idea for Disney+ limited series...
Old 03-12-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Sounds like a great idea for Disney+ limited series...
Yeah, it probably would be better as a limited series or possibly a smaller scale movie for Disney+ rather than a full fledged theatrical release.
Old 03-12-19, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Saw it yesterday at local IMAX theater. Thought it was OK, typical superhero fare, nothing more. Pretty mediocre overall.

Goose should get his own show.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-12-19 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86

Yeah, it probably would be better as a limited series or possibly a smaller scale movie for Disney+ rather than a full fledged theatrical release.
The possibilities are endless now. Hopefully they bring back One Shots too.
Old 03-12-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

The possibilities are endless now. Hopefully they bring back One Shots too.
Yeah for sure. Disney+ seems like it’s got potential to be a great service. I don’t subscribe to any streaming services currently (only have Prime Video because I pay for Prime) but will most likely subscribe to it.
Old 03-12-19, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Two things: Best Stan Lee cameo of all the movies, great soundtrack
Old 03-12-19, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Saw it. Didn't much care for it. It was not horrible, but wasn't great either. Pretty predictable at who the real villain was. The tone of the movie also seemed off to me, too. Like it didn't quite fit into the MCU.

Highlights were Goose, Ben Mendelshon and Fury.

One thing, though. This sort of makes me question if they are going with a secret invasion for the thread for future movies as rumored. I mean they make the Skrulls very sympathetic after we learned about their true intentions. Why would they want to invade Earth? I guess there could be different factions or something, but it seems like their beef is solely with the Kree.

Last edited by Deftones; 03-12-19 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 09:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts

I can’t believe people think mid-tier. I bought into all of it and loved Brie. Could even tolerate more Jackson. He was more sedate Fury, not the crusty, slick threads, guy we got now. It was just an origin story of a character, The Avengers, Infinity stones and all that bullshit, and an entire universe. The movie was just fun if you let it be. It certainly had the most heart, sans IW and just knew how to have fun while being funny, action packed, twisty, etc...
Old 03-12-19, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 986 Likes on 695 Posts

Yeah no, this did not work for me. Maybe not the worst MCU movie, but it's in my bottom five for sure. I otherwise like Larson just fine, but I thought she was horribly miscast here. Carol was basically invincible from the get go and I didn't think the script did much to get me invested in her predicament. The 90's stuff was whatever. I didn't think it added to the movie in any way, and other than a few heavy handed music cues, I didn't think it took much away either. I also don't get the Goose hype, but then I'm not a cat person. I will say that this is the first Samuel L. Jackson performance I've really liked in any of these movies since the awesome cameo at the end of Iron Man. They finally let his personality shine through and for once he didn't come off as a slightly less incompetent Mace Windu. Mendlesohn was good as well, but making the Skrulls into sympathetic (hoodie wearing, milkshake drinking?!) characters felt to me like someone trying way too hard. And was anyone else disappointed with the Skrull make-up? They can convincingly de-age Sam Jackson 20 years, but rubber mouth technology apparently hasn't advanced much beyond Planet of the Apes.

I'll be the first to admit, Ragnarok aside, I've been pretty lukewarm on the MCU for a while now. I love comics and I love movies, but at this point you know what you're going to get with these and expecting more from them is a fool's errand. I just want to get through Endgame and kinda sorta be done with it all.
Old 03-13-19, 03:23 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I must make a mental note to never watch Half In The Bag ever again. Those guys are nauseating.

I really liked it. Brie Larson was more stoic than “wooden” if you ask me. She nailed it, but I’ve always liked her work.

I give it a 4 out of 5. Solid action, good jokes, and I laughed a lot at the 90s references.
Old 03-13-19, 09:14 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
I must make a mental note to never watch Half In The Bag ever again.

I wouldn't dare disparage the much-loved infallible Red Letter Media but... for real. The first 6 minutes is some dumb skit, then they spend 30 seconds on the film itself, then 12 minutes on "The Controversy!" before actually getting to the film again. They don't start the real review until 19 minutes into a 38 minute video. Oof. If the skit stuff is standard fare for "Half in the Bag" then I'll have to remember to skip over that if/when I watch another review like this again, but YouTube reviews - especially this style - aren't much more than surface-level plot/acting/SFX reviews, which is all too common and boring.
A lot of their points in the 13 minutes on The Controversy were just fallacious strawman-type arguments but it's not really worth going into this stuff point-by-point on this forum. People can take away whatever they like from their arguments.

I really liked it. Brie Larson was more stoic than “wooden” if you ask me. She nailed it, but I’ve always liked her work.

I give it a 4 out of 5. Solid action, good jokes, and I laughed a lot at the 90s references.
Agreed. I'm glad I went into it knowing very little about the specific plot other than that it takes place in the 90s. I think the 90s references/music/etc. were a bit over the top (in that I would have personally preferred a few music cues that were more subtle) but it works for a Marvel movie, without doubt. I also would have preferred they didn't use Blockbuster - a chain that ruined mom-and-pop shops around the continent - but again, it was the most recognizable Brand(tm) they could have used for that sequence. Perfectly fitting for the MCU. I don't mean any of that as insults either... just that more obvious pop culture references play better to a wider audience than more subtle references. It's why Carol Danvers wears a NIN shirt (which I love) and not a Skinny Puppy shirt.
Repeat viewings may not be as good, but that's fine.
Unlike Wonder Woman, I feel like this one is tame enough to show my kid (who is now 6). WW was also very good IMO, but definitely a darker "edgier" more adult movie if that makes sense.

This one's a 4/5 for me too. Maybe 3.5/5 on repeat viewings, but we'll see.
Old 03-13-19, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I liked the movie. Not top tier, maybe lower middle tier MCU, but I love the MCU so that's not a bad thing. I'd give it a 3.75 if that were an option here, but it isn't so I gave it a 4.

But Stan Lee's cameo? Either they de-aged him, or that was a CGI cameo. He looked 6 or 7 years younger than in his last couple of cameos. And you never saw him talking. His mouth was obscured by the newspaper. I suppose it could have been something generic they filmed years ago and re-purposed, but there's something off with it.

Having said that, the Marvel Studios logo with Stan and the Thank You Stan message was an incredibly moving touch to start the film.
Old 03-13-19, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I liked the movie. Not top tier, maybe lower middle tier MCU, but I love the MCU so that's not a bad thing. I'd give it a 3.75 if that were an option here, but it isn't so I gave it a 4.

But Stan Lee's cameo? Either they de-aged him, or that was a CGI cameo. He looked 6 or 7 years younger than in his last couple of cameos. And you never saw him talking. His mouth was obscured by the newspaper. I suppose it could have been something generic they filmed years ago and re-purposed, but there's something off with it.

Having said that, the Marvel Studios logo with Stan and the Thank You Stan message was an incredibly moving touch to start the film.
Smith said Feige told him he wasn’t doing well when they filmed it. His voice wasn’t great either. They asked Universal if they had alterntate takes from Mallrats to dub in.
Old 03-13-19, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

While I was pretty indifferent about the movie they did find a few clever ways of filling in some gaps in the MCU.

We found out that the Tesseract was brought to Earth twice by Goose- once in the 90’s and now. The question is why?
Old 03-13-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I thought this was just okay. Nothing special.

There were two really annoying things about the movie.
1. The 90's theme. Yes...I get it. It is the mid-90's. Quit beating my head in with it. Did I mention it the 90's. It is set in the mid-90's. (....90's...)
2. Too cutesy. I got tired of the snark in Aquaman and this movie did the exact same thing except with cutesy comments every breath. I like jokes but most of these bombed or were just throw away cutesy lines that just got old quick.

Fury's eye loss was super lame. Plus, I know they were trying to make Fury seem originally light-hearted compared to his now cold exterior but they went a little overboard in my opinion (see complaint #2).

I thought the effects were good and I liked CM's costume. I especially liked it when she had the helmet on with the mohawk. Looked cool. The CG was mostly fantastic and visually impressive (except for a few cat effects). I thought the Skrulls were bad guys? At least they were when I read the comics as a kid. Was a little disappointed in that plot choice. I thought the action was pretty well done for the most part. It did drag a little in the middle as I almost fell asleep and had to shake my head a few times.

And are we really supposed to believe the little kid remembered CM and even what they used to say to each other? That was a massive reach. Anyone who has a kid knows that their memory is basically blanked of the past by the time they hit 11. I never once believed that the little girl knew and remembered so much about CM.

Would have liked to have seen more of Agent Coulson. The sound was awesome. Saw it at an AMC Prime and it was rumbling my seat like no other movie has there so far.

Where did the cat come from? Why was the spaceship littered with pop culture items? Why did the have to do the Indiana Jones fight scene at the end?

So anyway...*** out of *****. Not great. Not terrible. May play better at home later down the line.
Old 03-13-19, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Smith admits he knew in his latest youtube video about the cameo. I have no doubt that he still teared up when he saw it in a theater.
Not knowing if you'd live long enough to see that moment.. yeah, I'd tear up, too.
Old 03-13-19, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Second viewing today (IMAX) ... I expected it to play a little worse on second viewing, but I actually thought it played much better. The story is a little tighter than I gave it credit for (or maybe I just knew what to look for this time).

The opening battle and the last fight in the starship were still a bit dark and odd to follow, but much better than the muddy 3D image at my last showing. I didn’t get the criticism about the action sequences before, but now that I could see them, I got it. Beyond the normal aggravating quick cuts and jumps, the camera seemed “slow” in following the action and was often doing so from behind.

One thing I noticed this time (and haven’t seen mentioned) ... there are no opening credits.
Old 03-13-19, 10:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I thought this was just okay. Nothing special.

There were two really annoying things about the movie.
1. The 90's theme. Yes...I get it. It is the mid-90's. Quit beating my head in with it. Did I mention it the 90's. It is set in the mid-90's. (....90's...)
I don’t know why, but I find this really funny. So you’re upset at the setting? “Enough 90’s! Stop looking so 90’s!”

Although I have to agree that the 90’s song picks were way too damn obvious. The “I’m Just A Girl” song during the fight was a miss. So many other songs would have been more fun in its place.
Old 03-13-19, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit

I don’t know why, but I find this really funny. So you’re upset at the setting? “Enough 90’s! Stop looking so 90’s!”

Although I have to agree that the 90’s song picks were way too damn obvious. The “I’m Just A Girl” song during the fight was a miss. So many other songs would have been more fun in its place.

Not upset with the setting but just the way it was presented. It just seemed too on the nose. Watching other movies set in the past, many don't seem to beat the horse as much so to speak. Maybe they had to push the music, movies and pop culture placements because 90's didn't really have any stand out distinct fashion that just cries 90's. Yeah...flannel and Jennifer Anniston hairstyles but that does not a decade make. 50's, 60's and especially 70's and 80's settings can be spotted immediately. The 90's and 00's just aren't very distinct. So maybe the pop culture stuff was more of a crutch.

The best song pick and the way it was presented was "Connection" by Elastica. The rest were just blah.

I will say that I chuckled when they showed the internet cafe which was the best non pop culture reference. One thing that I actually remember but seems to have been completely forgotten.
Old 03-14-19, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

I think I would like the fight on the spaceship better if "I'm Just a Girl" was replaced by "Volcano Girls"
Old 03-14-19, 07:31 AM

Yea, I'm Just a Girl was too on the nose. Did not care for the use of it. I saw someone suggest You Oughta Know to fit in with the "breaking up" with Starforce.
Old 03-14-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I didn't think the song was "on the nose" at all, as in the fight had nothing to do with her being a girl, so it didn't even make sense in the context of the fight/movie.
Old 03-14-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought this was a giant colossal turd. I found it boring, cornball, unfunny, terribly plotted and just all around bad. I would probably put this as the bottom rung of the Marvel movies.

-What I hated:
-This movies plotting was so disjointed and a lot of parts could have easily been cut. We go from her training, to that ridiculous interrogation scene to her crashing on earth to that looong middle section where she visits the friend, to the final battle which seemed like it went on for too long. Seeing that it had 5(!) writers makes sense.

-I thought Brie was terrible miscast. He acting is stiff, and she just was not very believable in anything she did, whether she was trying to be a badass, or in her "tender scenes" with the friends daughter. She was just bad, and I kept thinking how much better this could have been with a younger Charlize Theron. Honestly I found Carol incredibly boring and thats on Larson and the writers.

-Fury was just goofy in this. The first scene where he meets the cat would have been fine but they just did it over, and over, and over again. Also major thumbs down to the friends stupid line about "Call me young girl again and ill tell you where ill shove this foot" or whatever.

-I'm just a girl? Really?

-The reveal of the real bad guy was lame. If you didn't see that coming I don't know what to tell you.

-This is getting super comic book nerdy, but I thought it was incredible how similar Carol's backstory was to the one Geoff John's gave Hal Jordan in Green Lantern. It was so similar that it felt like a piece from a Green Lantern script.

-I think the friend should have been cut. Also, what is it with these Marvel films now about having to take some random character into a battle who is related to the main character, and really has no reason to be there at all?

-I roled my eyes when I saw her nickname was "Avenger". This felt too much like randomly trying to make a character more important who doesn't need to be.

What I liked:
-I thought the costumes looked cool. Also fun easter egg to the original Green and White costume.

-The space scenes and some of the effects looked cool.

-It was neat to see Coulson and Fury interact together, but it felt like there was too little of either.

-I did think it was cool to see the skrulls.

Overall I would give this a 2/5 and would say it's the worst Marvel movie. Marvel tried to make this into some major event by going "Look! It's the first solo female Marvel hero!" but terrible acting by Larson, a bad script, a runtime that drags(I kept checking my watch through it) lead to a movie that feels like it serves no purpose and is just there. It's technically competent and not a bad movie per se, but it isn't anything special either. 2/5.
Old 03-14-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
I thought this was a giant colossal turd. I found it boring, cornball, unfunny, terribly plotted and just all around bad. I would probably put this as the bottom rung of the Marvel movies.

-What I hated:
-This movies plotting was so disjointed and a lot of parts could have easily been cut. We go from her training, to that ridiculous interrogation scene to her crashing on earth to that looong middle section where she visits the friend, to the final battle which seemed like it went on for too long. Seeing that it had 5(!) writers makes sense.

-I thought Brie was terrible miscast. He acting is stiff, and she just was not very believable in anything she did, whether she was trying to be a badass, or in her "tender scenes" with the friends daughter. She was just bad, and I kept thinking how much better this could have been with a younger Charlize Theron. Honestly I found Carol incredibly boring and thats on Larson and the writers.

-Fury was just goofy in this. The first scene where he meets the cat would have been fine but they just did it over, and over, and over again. Also major thumbs down to the friends stupid line about "Call me young girl again and ill tell you where ill shove this foot" or whatever.

-I'm just a girl? Really?

-The reveal of the real bad guy was lame. If you didn't see that coming I don't know what to tell you.

-This is getting super comic book nerdy, but I thought it was incredible how similar Carol's backstory was to the one Geoff John's gave Hal Jordan in Green Lantern. It was so similar that it felt like a piece from a Green Lantern script.

-I think the friend should have been cut. Also, what is it with these Marvel films now about having to take some random character into a battle who is related to the main character, and really has no reason to be there at all?

-I roled my eyes when I saw her nickname was "Avenger". This felt too much like randomly trying to make a character more important who doesn't need to be.

What I liked:
-I thought the costumes looked cool. Also fun easter egg to the original Green and White costume.

-The space scenes and some of the effects looked cool.

-It was neat to see Coulson and Fury interact together, but it felt like there was too little of either.

-I did think it was cool to see the skrulls.

Overall I would give this a 2/5 and would say it's the worst Marvel movie. Marvel tried to make this into some major event by going "Look! It's the first solo female Marvel hero!" but terrible acting by Larson, a bad script, a runtime that drags(I kept checking my watch through it) lead to a movie that feels like it serves no purpose and is just there. It's technically competent and not a bad movie per se, but it isn't anything special either. 2/5.
Tell us how you really feel

Honestly, I'm surprised most of you guys thought it wasn't that great. I absolutely loved it. I went in thinking it was going to be filler for Endgame (I thought the same thing about Black Panther before Infinity War) and I left knowing it was one of my top 5 MCU movies. For the record, here's how I'd rank them all:

1. Civil War
2. Homecoming
3. Ragnarok
4. Captain Marvel
5. Black Panther
6. Guardians vol. 1
7. First Avenger
8. Iron Man
9. Infinity War
10. Winter Solider
11. Ultron
12. Guardians vol. 2
13. Avengers
14. Ant-Man
15. Doctor Strange
16. Thor
17. Ant-Man & The Wasp
18. Iron Man 3
19. Hulk
20. Iron Man 2
21. The Dark World

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.