Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.85%
12.50%
38.46%
22.12%
11.54%
5.77%
1.92%
0.96%
0.96%
0%
1.92%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
In general, 3D doesn't really work for me. I don't have any vision problems or anything that I know about, but 90% of the time I've been to a 3D movie I notice the effect in the beginning, and then about 15 to 20 minutes in I become acclimated, and I totally forget that I'm watching a 3D movie and I don't notice it anymore. This includes plenty of stuff that has gotten rave reviews for the 3D (which is usually what spurs me to give it another shot). It's for this reason that I usually don't bother with it.
Agree. Most of the time my eyes just get accustomed to the depth and it rarely feels any different than a regular showing, until they go gimmicky and start throwing stuff out of the screen. I always wondered why they never did more of that out of the screen depth to make it stand out more
Old 03-11-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Watched it on Saturday. I found it pretty disappointing considering the streak Marvel has been on creatively. Definitely too long with not enough story to fill it out. I thought Larsen's performance was awkward. Okay in some scenes. Not really good in others. Jackson wasn't that great either.

It honestly felt like a typical 90s superhero film (pre-Blade, X-Men, etc). If they were going for that feel, then fantastic/disappointing. They hit it.

I'd place it at the lower end of the Marvel spectrum.
Old 03-11-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I've never seen 3D that was worth it (and yes, I've seen Avatar, animated features, etc.) It makes everything look like a diorama...flat images on different planes. I've said it before on here but there was a scene in Avatar where the camera was moving past soldiers at a briefing and they just looked like lines of cutouts. Laughably bad.

I saw no reason to ruin my enjoyment of Captain Marvel with more of the same.
Old 03-11-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I've never seen 3D that was worth it (and yes, I've seen Avatar, animated features, etc.) It makes everything look like a diorama...flat images on different planes.
Did you have a chance to see Martin Scorsese's "Hugo" in a 3D theater? That's the most impressed I've been by the technology.

Old 03-11-19, 03:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Hugo and Prometheus were the two 3D movies that came to mind for me, in terms of the best presentation and all that... but honestly, now, I prefer the 2D versions anyway. I can't remember what the last 3D movie I saw would have been. I'm just glad so many cinemas around me are showing 2D predominantly.
Old 03-11-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj
Did you have a chance to see Martin Scorsese's "Hugo" in a 3D theater? That's the most impressed I've been by the technology.
I did not, actually. I don't know what it is - I walked out of Avatar going "I never want to watch a movie that looks like that again" and not just because it's a mediocre movie
Old 03-11-19, 03:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimaton
He didn't need to. As we saw here, the Avengers were created specifically so he wouldn't have to call Danvers the next time an alien threat came to Earth, and they were doing their job.
Bullshit. They were failing at their job, and NYC would have become a radioactive crater if Iron Man hadn't pulled off a miracle save. If your argument holds, then he should be equally confident that the Avengers will save the day at the end of Infinity War as he is disintegrating. I'll agree that he wouldn't call her for every single mission, but for the big ones...
Old 03-11-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shoveler
Bullshit. They were failing at their job, and NYC would have become a radioactive crater if Iron Man hadn't pulled off a miracle save. If your argument holds, then he should be equally confident that the Avengers will save the day at the end of Infinity War as he is disintegrating. I'll agree that he wouldn't call her for every single mission, but for the big ones...
Wrong. Iron Man has to pull the miracle save because the World Security Council defied Fury and interfered -- up to that point they were doing their job and fighting back the invasion, having already physically defeated Loki as well as determining how to close the Chituari portal. As for Infinity War, the Avengers were fractured, and as far as Fury knew, missing key members in Iron Man, Thor, and Hulk, so it would've been clear that whatever force they'd met in Wakanda was beyond their depleted capabilities once he saw the world was basically ending.

Last edited by ultimaton; 03-11-19 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-11-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I think the Secret Invasion will still likely happen as many of the things that happened in this movie and afterwards will likely be affected with time travel in the next Avengers. Just speculation on my part.
Old 03-11-19, 06:53 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I think Secret Invasion is all but guaranteed at this point.
Old 03-11-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I'm curious. PhantomStranger gave it the lowest rating in the poll, but he has yet to comment why he gave it that score. Although he's not really active in the MovieTalk forum. He's more active in TV.

I don't know if he actually saw it or is just trolling the poll.
Old 03-11-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
The only moment that made me roll my eyes was when she let Monica pick out her colors...blah.
That scene made me laugh inside ... remember the chatter when the first pictures released of her were in the blue/green outfit? Can you imagine if the first images were of that rainbow Tron outfit!?
Old 03-11-19, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler
In an interview Kevin Feige said this might not be the first time Fury has tried to reach her, that it might just be the first time she responded.
Old 03-11-19, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I liked it a lot actually. Maybe I had lower expectations due to some reviews I’ve watched, but overall I found it really entertaining. The 90s references worked for me. They were there but not annoyingly so and I felt like they fit. Good soundtrack too.

I thought Brie was pretty good in the leading role and don’t entirely understand the complaints about her performance. She worked as the out of place character trying to figure herself out in my opinion.

The de-aging technology on Jackson and Gregg was amazingly well done. Crazy how good they looked.

The Stan Lee opening montage was great and also liked his cameo in the film with him reading the Mallrats script.

Also kinda liked how this film didn’t necessarily have a big bad villain. Yeah, it’s got villains but we didn’t get the typical final epic battle. What we got worked and was a nice change of pace.

The only minor complaints to me were the explanation of how Fury lost his eye. Just a bit silly in my opinion. I liked Goose but that was just kind of a lame reveal. Also felt like they should have saved the mystery of who she was and had that reveal to the audience at the same time she figures it out instead of before.

Overall I’d like to see it again and will add it to my collection when it’s available. As far as the complaints about it feeling like an early MCU film and not up to par with what they’re doing lately, that actually wasn’t a complaint for me as I like a lot of the earlier films as well truthfully.
Old 03-11-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I think the Secret Invasion will still likely happen as many of the things that happened in this movie and afterwards will likely be affected with time travel in the next Avengers. Just speculation on my part.
I really, really hope they don’t go there. I do not want to see them opening up that can of worms, where they start getting into this multiverse shit, using time travel to rewrite the MCU’s history, or any other shenanigans like that.
Old 03-11-19, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

You can hope ... but do you have any other ideas on how this is going to go down? (I don’t disagree, but I’m resolved to that unavoidable conclusion.)
Old 03-12-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Half in the Bag review of "Captain Marvel"

(The review section starts at 6 minutes in)
Old 03-12-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dhmac

These guys are probably my favorite film reviewers out there. At least in video form. I agree with a lot of what they said even though I liked it more than they did. I also feel like they gave Brie some fair criticism in regards to her comments that caused some “controversy” around this film. Basically just she could have stated what she said in a different way, and giving examples of recent films that were fairly reviewed by middle aged white men where they weren’t the target demographic.

The one thing I’ll say watching more reviews is that a lot of them kind of point out plot holes or kind of “huh?” moments that this film creates. What was SHIELD doing between the events of this film and Iron Man since there’s like a thirteen year gap, how did the Tesseract wind up with Mar-Vell, Steve Rogers kinda being retconned as the first Avenger, etc.
Old 03-12-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
how did the Tesseract wind up with Mar-Vell
I think this timeline does a good job explaining how the Tesseract moved around:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/10/18...infinity-stone

Which it summarizes at the end as "In short, the Tesseract went from Thor’s dad to Norway to Nazis/Hydra to the ocean to Iron Man’s dad to Project PEGASUS to a space station to an alien cat’s stomach back to SHIELD to Loki to Asgard to Loki to Thanos."

Old 03-12-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I still haven't seen anything that adequately explains how it got from Howard Stark (one of the founders of SHIELD) to Mar-Vell and Project PEGASUS (which, by all accounts, was not a SHIELD initiative until the program was restarted under Fury). I'm not looking for a timeline of events showing where the Cube was and when. I got all of that on my own from watching the films. I'm looking for specifically how it came into Mar-Vell's possession when it should have been with SHIELD.
Old 03-12-19, 11:22 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

^ Maybe Endgame will cover some of that.
Old 03-12-19, 11:50 AM

Howard Stark was more than likely involved in PEGASUS. Tony had a PROJECT PEGASUS crate in IM2.

It would be awesome to get an Ant-Man prequel with de-aged Michael Douglas, Howard Stark, Peggy, etc. filling in the gaps there.
Old 03-12-19, 12:30 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac

Love those guys. Hands down my favorite Youtube film reviewers. Their review of Milwake was awesome too
And yeah they give Larson a fair criticism, basically "she tried to express equality but expressed it in a horrible way. And even if she sounded like an ass. Why give it more attention than couple of minutes"

Great quotes too

"Thanks for making the world an embarrassing nightmare everyone."
"Captain Marvel is Jupiter Ascending with Nick Fury in it, I recommend this film"
"Eat the multi-billion dollar corporate slop and pretend it's social justice, you weirdos".
"film reviewing is the least important thing in the whole wide world."
"Fuck you Miami"
Old 03-12-19, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Soo, seems like Kevin Smith had no clue of the Mallrats reference in Stan Lee's cameo until he saw it in the theater himself. Nice that Stan got to play, well, Stan in one of his last cameos and it referenced one of his first cameos. Nice little full circle moment there.
I saw Smith's post about this, but I also saw an interview with Feige where he said he spoke with Smith and he signed off on it. What a ham with his tears.
Old 03-12-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Howard Stark was more than likely involved in PEGASUS. Tony had a PROJECT PEGASUS crate in IM2.

It would be awesome to get an Ant-Man prequel with de-aged Michael Douglas, Howard Stark, Peggy, etc. filling in the gaps there.
That’s would be cool. I’d also almost be interested in seeing more of young Fury. Almost to the point I feel like he could carry a film (he carried half of this movie really if you ask me). I’m curious what he and SHIELD did for the time between this film and the events of Phase I. We’re things just quiet all that time and he was biding his time or what?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.