Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.85%
12.50%
38.46%
22.12%
11.54%
5.77%
1.92%
0.96%
0.96%
0%
1.92%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 03-10-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

Overall I enjoyed it. I'll give it 4/5, but probably closer to 3.75-ish. But I felt it was better than 3.5.
Origin movies are tough. Have to get the background story in. But this one she basically had her powers at the start with flashbacks/memory resurrection showing how she got them. She just didn't have full use/knowledge of her powers. So there was a steady amount of action throughout. Then raised it to a new level once she unleashed all of her power.
I was fine with her acting. Jude Law mentions something along the lines of her emotions get the best of her so it seems she has been trained to keep them in check. When she gets Fury to admit he cuts his toast diagonally in Pancho's you can see a real geniune laugh/smile from her. So she's capable of doing it on command. I always smh when people say an actor can't act. Maybe the director can't direct? But ultimately I feel that is what the director wanted the actor to do and how to do it. Her action sequences looked really good.

Loved the Stan Lee opening and cameo.
I loved the 90's stuff, the music, the computer/technology stuff. The 'what are we doing' while disc was loading was great.
I think she'll be even better in Endgame and her next solo film.

I really like Mendelsohn in everything he's in lately.

Generally I like all the MCU movies, and I really look forward to them coming out. My least favorite was IM3. I would say this is in the bottom of the top third for me. And partly because I didn't know much about the character so it was all new to me.

The Avengers music cue while Fury was writing the Initiative, and her appearance in the credits scene at Avengers HQ were awesome.

I saw somewhere that in one of the other MCU movies, maybe one of the Captain America ones, that there was a picture of Fury with both eyes when he became director of SHIELD.
Maybe the guy Fury didn't trust (how he lost his eye) was faux Coulson? I don't see how the accident caused the eye loss on it's own though.

Unfortunately I think my theater fucked up the sound. It was very soft and was supposed to be a Grand Theater experience, Dolby Atmos, bigger screen, etc. But the sound was very soft sometimes hard to hear dialog. My wife and I noticed early on. As we were leaving a guy ahead of us let one of the "managers" know the same thing, so I said we noticed it too.
I might try to see it again. I'd like to see the 3D but there are hardly any times around me, and they are all after 7/8pm. IMAX is about 30 minutes one way.
Old 03-10-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Unless films are actually shot in 3-D they're never EVER worth the upcharge.
I whole-heartedly disagree with this. Mad Max: Fury Road was utterly intoxicating in a good 3D projection and it was post-converted. Most of the Marvel films have been good 3D experiences.

While it is certainly possible that bad 3D can be on the production, I believe it is more often the result of poor projection by exhibitors. I think it is this inconsistency that has earned 3D a bad rep.
Old 03-10-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, is this actually her or just a look-alike? In both sets posted, one does look like her and one does not. I’m leaning towards it is ...
Old 03-10-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She has a distinct forehead. It's her.
Old 03-10-19, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Marvel posted those photos and videos of her visits on their social media sites. Yes, it's her. If you watch her press junkets, you can see it's her.
Old 03-10-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, you are saying

Old 03-10-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I liked it but was also disappointed. It was mid-tier Marvel at best, a bit of connective tissue but not much of a deeply compelling story. The direction was off, the fight scenes were badly staged, and Larsen had a strange, outwardly self-conscious performance. Nothing really endeared me to her as a character. But I did like everything around the main character -- the world-building, the Kree/Skrulll dynamic, Mendelsohn's fantastic performance, and the sympathy shift midway through the flick. It stuck the landing but in the end it was little more than a semidecent Marvel flick, nothing more. 3.25 out of 5 for me.
Old 03-11-19, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I liked it but was also disappointed. It was mid-tier Marvel at best, a bit of connective tissue but not much of a deeply compelling story. The direction was off, the fight scenes were badly staged, and Larsen had a strange, outwardly self-conscious performance. Nothing really endeared me to her as a character. But I did like everything around the main character -- the world-building, the Kree/Skrulll dynamic, Mendelsohn's fantastic performance, and the sympathy shift midway through the flick. It stuck the landing but in the end it was little more than a semidecent Marvel flick, nothing more. 3.25 out of 5 for me.
I really feel like the one-two punch of Black Panther and Infinity War last year raised the bar so much that it'd be hard for anything to meet expectations. Like, after Oscar nominations for Best Picture and two $600 million grossers, it's pretty hard to beat that.
Old 03-11-19, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw it yesterday, enjoyed it overall, but not overwhelmingly so. I agree with the midrange MCU assessments, which still makes for a solid movie IMO. In addition to the question of why Fury didn't use the pager during the first Avengers movie, I see a potential can of worms that is opened up wrt the Skrulls... if they can replicate any living being they have seen down to the DNA level, and Marvel integrates the X-Men universe into the MCU (whether "as is" or as a reboot), doesn't that make every living Skrull a potential Super Skrull, at least as far as mutant abilities are concerned? Talos did say something about it taking practice, but still, if I had the potential to replicate mutant powers, I'd practice my ass off! And, honestly, if mutant powers are inherently genetic, then copying a mutant should be no more difficult than copying a human. The only tough part would be controlling the new abilities that come with the genetic code, as we've seen with young mutants when their powers first manifest.

Looking forward to Photon in the sequel!
Old 03-11-19, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless films are actually shot in 3-D they're never EVER worth the upcharge.
Um, this is just your opinion and its actually bullshit. GRAVITY, Tron Legacy, Doctor Strange and countless other post-conversion 3D movies look terrific. You watched a couple shitty ones and now you think the whole thing is tainted. Wrong.
Old 03-11-19, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Unfortunately I think my theater fucked up the sound. It was very soft and was supposed to be a Grand Theater experience, Dolby Atmos, bigger screen, etc. But the sound was very soft sometimes hard to hear dialog. My wife and I noticed early on. As we were leaving a guy ahead of us let one of the "managers" know the same thing, so I said we noticed it too.
I might try to see it again. I'd like to see the 3D but there are hardly any times around me, and they are all after 7/8pm. IMAX is about 30 minutes one way.
We were in an Atmos theater and had the exact same experience! Even the trailers had the problem - it was like the center channel was turned down too far. I heard everything, but the balance was way off and the lines were too quiet throughout. I assumed it was just a bad night at the theater (this place is usually fine). We were also sitting on the far left of the room - I wondered if it was better in the middle as we seemed to be getting a lot of left channel out of the speaker above us. But it’s not a gigantic theater and we’ve seen plenty of movies there without issue. Weird.
Old 03-11-19, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

There was a dialog issue in my theater as well. Perhaps the sound mixing was a bit of a disaster.
Old 03-11-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shoveler
Saw it yesterday, enjoyed it overall, but not overwhelmingly so. I agree with the midrange MCU assessments, which still makes for a solid movie IMO. In addition to the question of why Fury didn't use the pager during the first Avengers movie, I see a potential can of worms that is opened up wrt the Skrulls... if they can replicate any living being they have seen down to the DNA level, and Marvel integrates the X-Men universe into the MCU (whether "as is" or as a reboot), doesn't that make every living Skrull a potential Super Skrull, at least as far as mutant abilities are concerned? Talos did say something about it taking practice, but still, if I had the potential to replicate mutant powers, I'd practice my ass off! And, honestly, if mutant powers are inherently genetic, then copying a mutant should be no more difficult than copying a human. The only tough part would be controlling the new abilities that come with the genetic code, as we've seen with young mutants when their powers first manifest.

Looking forward to Photon in the sequel!
He didn't need to. As we saw here, the Avengers were created specifically so he wouldn't have to call Danvers the next time an alien threat came to Earth, and they were doing their job.
Old 03-11-19, 10:50 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vsfjaoqgu4w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-11-19, 10:59 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Can we just take a second to appreciate the pure insanity it takes to have a hot take like this?
"Captain Marvel's Box Office Success Is A Big Problem"
Bonus points, though, for the guy pointing out that his own set looks different because, I kid you not, his mom went in and rearranged it while he wasn't home.

64k views.

Last edited by Dan; 03-11-19 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-11-19, 11:01 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Can we just take a second to appreciate the pure insanity it takes to have a hot take like this?

Bonus points, though, for the guy pointing out that his own set looks different because, I kid you not, his mom went in and rearranged it while he wasn't home.

64k views.
Let's not.

Last edited by dex14; 03-11-19 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-11-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

I don't even give those fucking things a view because that's all these trolls are looking for.
Old 03-11-19, 11:19 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

^ that's true. I'll remove the embed for that reason. If dex14 wants to edit his quote of my post, he can do so.
Old 03-11-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan

64k views.
gEt wOKe, gO bRoKE
Old 03-11-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Saw it and absolutely loved it. I thought it was going to be more in your face women's empowerment but I felt it was not in your face as to not turn people off. The only moment that made me roll my eyes was when she let Monica pick out her colors...blah. Other than that very good and the soundtrack was a nice throwback.
Old 03-11-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lara Means
Um, this is just your opinion and its actually bullshit. GRAVITY, Tron Legacy, Doctor Strange and countless other post-conversion 3D movies look terrific. You watched a couple shitty ones and now you think the whole thing is tainted. Wrong.

Old 03-11-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Yay, Lara Means is correct. Avatar, animated films and proper post-conversions.

But there is also an abundance of lazy-ass "cash in" 3D that has effectively killed the format (again).

I still don't get the uproar over SJW stuff, I haven't really noticed much of it in the Disney movies. This wound up pulling $154m domestic.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-11-19 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-11-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

In general, 3D doesn't really work for me. I don't have any vision problems or anything that I know about, but 90% of the time I've been to a 3D movie I notice the effect in the beginning, and then about 15 to 20 minutes in I become acclimated, and I totally forget that I'm watching a 3D movie and I don't notice it anymore. This includes plenty of stuff that has gotten rave reviews for the 3D (which is usually what spurs me to give it another shot). It's for this reason that I usually don't bother with it.
Old 03-11-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

It doesn't need to be shot in 3D, but if the director shoots a film with 3D in mind for post conversion, it's fine... just so we never, ever have to get that shitty Clash of the Titans reboot lazy post 3D cash in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.