Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.85%
12.50%
38.46%
22.12%
11.54%
5.77%
1.92%
0.96%
0.96%
0%
1.92%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 03-09-19, 09:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
Re: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Technically First Avenger is the first one since that one takes place in WWII and CM is from the mid-90's.
Captain America may have been first hero, but the term "Avenger" didn't come until we just saw Carol's call sign. she may not have been active participant, but she surely is the first or should get credit as creating, what we know The Avengers and what Fury created and did going forward from his encounter with Carol, to be now...
Old 03-09-19, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Thanks! That's exactly the line I was looking for. He lost an eye because he trusted a cat?
Originally Posted by greydttwo

In context, it still fits though

Seriously though, I thought the movie was all fun and games up to that point.

Ok, no, really seriously this time ... why the hell would he put his face up to Goose’s face after what he had seen (and said)?
Old 03-09-19, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Captain America may have been first hero, but the term "Avenger" didn't come until we just saw Carol's call sign. she may not have been active participant, but she surely is the first or should get credit as creating, what we know The Avengers and what Fury created and did going forward from his encounter with Carol, to be now...
I’ve got to go with Oldboy ... while Captain America may have been the first born, Captain Marvel was the original inspiration and truly “the first Avenger”.

Old 03-09-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Many here are criticizing Larson for her acting, but I thought she was pretty spot on. She was playing a soldier who was essentially created to be just that — an emotionless war machine. The character struggles with keeping emotions in check, but she has no real memories to affect her behavior so she doesn’t even understand the emotions that arise. Even those emotions are just reactions, not true feelings.

One podcast I started to listen to said that Wonder Woman did the “fish out of water” character better ... but Captain Marvel wasn’t a fish out of water. She was human with partial memories. Don’t know why I bring that up, other than I think it is a similar misunderstanding of the character as the criticisms of Larson playing the character stiffly.

Then again, maybe it was the result of five writers and two directors plus who knows how much more studio input.

Now for my really controversial opinion ... say what you will about Larson — she is very pretty in a plain kind of way — but give me Minerva any day ...

Old 03-09-19, 11:04 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Yea...they did not utilize enough Gemma Chan.
Old 03-09-19, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh ... one more thought that I want to share ...

I had a Mandela Effect moment during the movie ... I remembered liking Annette Benning in Ant Man and The Wasp with Michael Douglas and couldn’t figure out why they were reusing her here.

Yeah. I eventually figured it out.
Old 03-09-19, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Same as others - mid-tier, which is not bad...still a good movie. I think everything needed a little more fleshing out overall. They did keep the budget for this one at 150m, and while that is certainly smart business...I think an extra 25m, and a little longer film could've pushed this into the top tier territory. Hopefully the inevitable sequels will reach Captain America 2/3 heights.

Wow, this film did Annette Bening no favors with the bright lighting, etc...I assumed she must be 70 watching the film..but no, she's still just 60.

What was up with Sam's hairline....did anyone else find that distracting?

Also, when she blew Arnold's head off of the True Lies display - in good fun or maybe taking a little bit of a shot at him?

Last edited by Artman; 03-09-19 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-10-19, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

I had a Mandela Effect moment during the movie ... I remembered liking Annette Benning in Ant Man and The Wasp with Michael Douglas and couldn’t figure out why they were reusing her here.

She was really cute in this and I do like older women myself. I loved the way they styled her and that leather jacket she had on was indeed awesome.
Old 03-10-19, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Brie showed up at select showings to promote the film or see it with audiences?

Old 03-10-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It does feel like there's a much better, longer movie in there. Why not let the film be 140 minutes? Does anyone think a Marvel film won't make a ton of money? Or at the very least break even and be another piece in the MCU Neverending Mega Franchise.

Having thought about it for a couple of days, I think the one big problem I had was the excessive 90s references. A few at the beginning to give the setting, a joke here and there is fine. But by the time we get to the secret base, and you want the plot to start paying off, seeing those stupid troll dolls on the monitor was just annoying. And it's fine that they only used 90s songs for the soundtrack, but how about using some of minor hits here and there? Were they only allowed to use the massive hit songs that climbed to the very top of that 1990s musical zeitgeist? If this film took place in the 60s, it'd probably be wall to wall Bob Dylan and the Beatles.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 11-19-19 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-10-19, 03:05 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Thought it was excellent and Larson was great in the role. The '90s references became a bit much but I was fine with it.

Goose rules.
Old 03-10-19, 04:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
It does feel like there's a much better, longer movie in there. Why not let the film be 140 minutes? Does anyone think a Marvel film won't make a ton of money? Or at the very least break even and be another piece in the MCU Neverending Mega Franchise.

Having thought about it for a couple of days, I think the one big problem I had was the excessive 90s references. A few at the beginning to give the setting, a joke here and there is fine. But by the time we get to the secret base, and you want to plot to start paying off, seeing those stupid troll dolls on the monitor was just annoying. And it's fine that they only used 90s songs for the soundtrack, but how about using some of minor hits here and there? Were they only allowed to use the massive hits songs that climbed to the very top of that 1990s musical zeitgeist? If this film took place in the 60s, it'd probably be wall to wall Bob Dylan and the Beatles.
But the CD-Rom loading sequence excuses any other heavy-handed 90's references...that was perfect

Old 03-10-19, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I’d rank it as a solid B. It really felt like a “lost” Phase One film. Overall it felt a little rushed in the final act and the action just didn’t click. I loved Larson and the “wooden acting” complaints missed he point of her character throughout most of the film. It ranks around middle of the pack for all MCU movies for me.
Old 03-10-19, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You gotta remind me of the connection. I don't even remember Benning in Ant Man.
Old 03-10-19, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
You gotta remind me of the connection. I don't even remember Benning in Ant Man.
Mandela Effect - he remembered Benning being in Ant-man and Wasp even though she wasn't. Probably confused her for Pfeiffer.
Old 03-10-19, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this last night with my three daughters.. (15, 18, 20) we all enjoyed it a lot. Thought the two end teasers were really good as well. I thought Larson did a good job and overall give this a 4/5.
Old 03-10-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

I attended an IMAX 2-D screening (not the only true IMAX screen in town, but a fairly large LIEMAX), and I have to admit I didn’t even notice the shifting aspect ratios until about halfway through. On the other hand, the other three people in my party didn’t notice it at all! I can’t say it blew me away like the first time I saw The Dark Knight (not a fair comparison because that WAS on a true screen), but I liked the effect.
Old 03-10-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Mandela Effect - he remembered Benning being in Ant-man and Wasp even though she wasn't. Probably confused her for Pfeiffer.

Old 03-10-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Exactly that ... and this ...

I think it was the third or fourth time that she appeared on screen before I figured out she wasn’t Janet Van Dyne.
Old 03-10-19, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Another thought to add on a question which hasn’t been addressed yet ... (reminded by davidh777’s comment in IMAX) ...

I saw it in 3D and would say that it did not add very much to my screening. Of course, this is always possibly caused by the projection of that theater (not a top notch one), the fact that I sat further back than usual, or the fact that I have a head cold and my eyes were suffering from pressure and constantly watering.

Anybody have any other thoughts on whether the 3D is worth the upcharge?

I’ll catch it again in IMAX once the crowds die down (I think almost every showing yesterday in all formats around here were virtually sold out). Add me to the group that usually doesn’t notice the shifting aspect ratios when they happen. I just like the bigger screen.
Old 03-10-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Soo, seems like Kevin Smith had no clue of the Mallrats reference in Stan Lee's cameo until he saw it in the theater himself. Nice that Stan got to play, well, Stan in one of his last cameos and it referenced one of his first cameos. Nice little full circle moment there.
Old 03-10-19, 12:35 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by mspmms
Seeing it with my youngest son on Sunday 3/10 - Imax theater
We both liked it, I think it falls somewhere between Doctor Strange and Iron man 2 (at least to me).
Old 03-10-19, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Saw it today. I feel the same as with Black Panther, its a good middle tier Marvel movie. I like Brie Larson, but her acting is a little wooden, and I have to admit she didnt bring much to the character. The one thing I didnt like was the thing I was sure they would nail, the use of 90s music. Some of it felt strange choices and some just felt totally wrong. I mean what purpose did Come As You Are serve other than a nod to a popular song. Sure could be a play on words, but that's stretching it. Also Fury losing the eye, boy did he take it well. He didnt give a shit, and this felt a stupid way to explain the eye patch. Oh, and no sign of tbe comic book Supreme Intelligence was a let down. Guess its being saved for the sequel. I give it 3 stars.

Old 03-10-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

I loved the Stan Lee cameo, but now I’m trying to wrap my brain around how all the Marvel references in that movie would have worked since the characters didn’t exist yet.
Old 03-10-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another thought to add on a question which hasn’t been addressed yet ... (reminded by davidh777’s comment in IMAX) ...

I saw it in 3D and would say that it did not add very much to my screening. Of course, this is always possibly caused by the projection of that theater (not a top notch one), the fact that I sat further back than usual, or the fact that I have a head cold and my eyes were suffering from pressure and constantly watering.

Anybody have any other thoughts on whether the 3D is worth the upcharge?

I’ll catch it again in IMAX once the crowds die down (I think almost every showing yesterday in all formats around here were virtually sold out). Add me to the group that usually doesn’t notice the shifting aspect ratios when they happen. I just like the bigger screen.
Unless films are actually shot in 3-D they're never EVER worth the upcharge.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.