Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.85%
12.50%
38.46%
22.12%
11.54%
5.77%
1.92%
0.96%
0.96%
0%
1.92%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by movieguru
Just saw this yesterday....

Spoilers..........

Probably one of the better inaugural MCU movies. It felt a little different and less connected to the other Marvel movies. Nice tribute to Stan Lee in the opening credits. His cameo was pretty small. You could barely see his face but he gets to say one of his famous catchphrases. I found it odd that Nick Fury would just happen to be in the area and could show up within minutes of when Captain Marvel appears on Earth and show up at the right place in other scenes. Lots of 1990's technology and cultural jokes. Gives the origin of Nick Fury's eye condition. I thought the Skrulls would be the villains in the movie. Still don't know what the hell the cat was supposed to be.
Spoiler:
The "cat" Goose (formerly known as Chewie/Chewbacca) is actually not a cat but a Flerkin, a dangerous alien species that look like cats.
Make sense now?
Old 03-06-19, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Stuckmann gave it a C.

He said that Brie Larson was wooden.
Old 03-06-19, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
all i want to know is the end credit scenes
Spoiler:
Two end scenes. The first ones shows Steve Rogers, Black Widow, and Bruce Banner talking about the power going out in Nick Fury's intergalactic pager that Captain Marvel gave him in case he ever needed her help. Why he never felt the need to use the pager to get her help during the first two Avengers movies is anyone's guess, but she shows up not looking a day older and asks where Nick Fury is. The second one has that alien cat creature thing coffing up the tesseract cube like it's a hairball on Fury's desk.
Old 03-06-19, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Spoiler:
Two end scenes. The first ones shows Steve Rogers, Black Widow, and Bruce Banner talking about the power going out in Nick Fury's intergalactic pager that Captain Marvel gave him in case he ever needed her help. Why he never felt the need to use the pager to get her help during the first two Avengers movies is anyone's guess, but she shows up not looking a day older and asks where Nick Fury is. The second one has that alien cat creature thing coffing up the tesseract cube like it's a hairball on Fury's desk.
Spoiler:
Damn! I guessed right! These movies are becoming to predictable.
Old 03-06-19, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Yeah I keep hearing from people who've seen the movie that Larson is... not good in this. Shame if that's the case.

A friend, whose movie opinion I respect more than pretty much anyone, basically thought it was decent but compared it to Ant-Man in terms of how much it resonated with him. He liked Ant-Man more than I did so I'm a bit "uh-oh".
Old 03-06-19, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

The Screen Junkies review was rather mixed as well. They did make a good point at the end though in comparing it to when Captain America: The First Avenger initially came out. Where that was viewed by many at the time as one of the weaker MCU films to that point by many people (myself included), but both the film and the character gained more appreciation in subsequent appearances and films. Hopefully that’s the case with this film and Captain Marvel the character as a lot hinges on her going forward. I’m going in with tempered expectations which is a bit of a letdown, but it doesn’t sound like a complete misstep or a bad movie.
Old 03-07-19, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Liked it but didn’t love it. It. It carries the weight of insane expectations but isn’t a game changer like Black Panther. It takes too long to get going but the second half is a big improvement. Marvel has polished these movies to such a high sheen that a B+ feels like a slight letdown, but it’s good - Larson is decent with an unsatisfyingly written role, and Jackson as always is great fun. Mendelsohn is terrific and gives a lot of weight to his role.

One problem that’s my own is I’ve never really warmed to Carol Danvers in the comics, who’s been about 50 different people before they settled on the Wonder Woman analog she’s been for a few years - feminist hero, amnesiac, X-Man for a while, major drunkard, etc. I don’t feel the sense of history with her I do with Iron Man or Cap because for too long the comics character has been all over the show. The movie spends too long with her as an unformed person before it finally gets inspirational in the last act. Compare to T’Challa who is a firm character from the start.

Also felt the directing was a bit drab - action scenes far too dark too often and a lack of the visual flair that BP, Thor Ragnarok, Dr Strange and others have had.

that said I did like a lot of it - the special effects great in the battle scenes and the views of Hala swell -

Spoiler:
I quite liked the twist with the Skrulls and it elevated the movie a lot for me. The Kree have often been vicious bastards in the comics so glad they picked up on that. Goose is awesome and the de-aging on Jackson great - not so much Clark Gregg imho.

Last edited by The Antipodean; 03-07-19 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-07-19, 02:11 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Disney’s Captain Marvel, the first Marvel movie since July’s Ant-Man and the Wasp is hoping to rocket-charge to a $150M start in U.S./Canada and a $350M worldwide opening.
Yes, tracking does show a $120M-$140M start for the Brie Larson-Samuel L. Jackson movie here (their third team-up onscreen after Kong: Skull Island and Larson’s directorial Unicorn Store) in the U.S at 4,200 theaters, but industry projection believe that the marketplace is just salivating for a great superhero five-quad movie. It’s just been too long. Should Captain Marvel fall short of $150M, yet north of $100M, she’ll still be fine, and know that tracking isn’t exact for any movie once it’s projected past the century mark.
https://deadline.com/2019/03/captain...ew-1202569811/
Old 03-07-19, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
The Screen Junkies review was rather mixed as well. They did make a good point at the end though in comparing it to when Captain America: The First Avenger initially came out. Where that was viewed by many at the time as one of the weaker MCU films to that point by many people (myself included), but both the film and the character gained more appreciation in subsequent appearances and films. Hopefully that’s the case with this film and Captain Marvel the character as a lot hinges on her going forward. I’m going in with tempered expectations which is a bit of a letdown, but it doesn’t sound like a complete misstep or a bad movie.

I'd agree with this. Future movies could improve this when revisiting.

Just got back.

It was OK. Did not blow me away or anything, which is unfortunate considering the hype Marvel and Feige have been building up behind this for years.

I liked the Stan Lee tribute and his cameo with the Mallrats script cracked me up.

Ben Mendelsohn was great. I didn't think Brie was too bad as some review say. Her chemistry with Jackson was great. I'd look forward to seeing someone else direct future installments instead though.

I was very surprised that Jude Law wasn't Mar-Vell and Benning was instead. The story did go in a direction that surprised me with the Skrulls, which was good.

I'd probably put this on the level of Thor and Doctor Strange.

Last edited by dex14; 03-07-19 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-07-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I liked it. Brie wasn't bad and I actually thought she did ok, kinda own the character. Can't wait to see Endgame and see where they go from here.
Old 03-07-19, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Stuckmann gave it a C.

He said that Brie Larson was wooden.
The character she plays is more serious and lacks emotions to some degree which may be interpreted as Larson being wooden.
Old 03-07-19, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

How many 3 point landings/looks up slowly, are in this movie?
Old 03-07-19, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I'm on the side that Larson is wooden, not because of the part, but because of bad acting. In contrast, everyone else was fucking great. For me, Larson brought the movie down one star.

Pros
- They used one of my favorite Skrull stories from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, issue #5. The whole Skrull refugee families was shown in this issue while Earth was going through the Secret Invasion storyline. Cosmos was protecting these Skrulls in a similar war Mar-Vell did in the movie.
- As I mentioned, everyone else, with the exception of Larson, was great in the film.
- They kept the spirit of the Kelly Sue Deckonick Captain Marvel stories

Cons
-Brie Larsons acting brings the movie down. She wasn't as bad as January Jones on X-Men First Class, but was pretty close to it.
-Man, did they ham fisted the fact that the movie take place in the 90's. Okay, we get it, the movie is around 1994/95. You don't need to remind us with the loud, sometimes out of place soundtrack
- I really like Annette Benning but they fucking did a disservice to Mar-Vell, the original Captain Marvel. This swerve was similar (in a bad way) to the Iron Man 3 Mandarin one. Mar-Vell was an integral part of Marvel Comics in the 70's and taking him out of the big MCU picture is just wrong.
- They now contradicted themselves/ made things more convoluted in how SHIELD/Fury ended up with the Tesseract. I though SHIELD kept the Tesseract after Howard Stark recovered it from the Artic in 1944. How did Mar-Vell ended up with the Tesseract then?

Also, didn't Fury said something about Alexander Pierce having something to do with his left eye missing on the Winter Soldier movie?
Old 03-07-19, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I just got back from it and it was fine. As Scott Mendelson mentioned in his review - the film is formulaic but Brie Larson saves it. She was awesome. It was a fun flick. I think the 90's soundtrack was great outside of the No Doubt but that's just cuz I never ever liked No Doubt. The Elastica song was awesome, though.

With that being said, this is nowhere top tier MCU for me. It's about on the same level as Dark World, the First Ant-Man film. I hated First Avenger, so at least this one is way better.

6 weeks left before ENDGAME!
Old 03-08-19, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Just got back tonight as well. I gave it 3 1/2 stars and probably between a B and B-. It was fine, but a little formulaic. It's lower tier MCU like Doctor Strange and Ant Man. Brie was a little stiff, but I don't think she was awful. I blame the 2 directors who are obviously very inexperienced and didn't get the best out of her. I did like the humor and the 90's nostalgia and I did think she had some good scenes with Jackson.

One thing I wasn't really clear on. How did Fury lose his eye? I saw it was swollen and the Fluerkin scratched it, but I didn't see how he lost it.

I liked the tease at the end with Fury's pager being brought back with the remaining Avengers trying to figure out what it was and then she re-appears. That was a good tease.

and yeah the Stan Lee tribute with the Marvel Studios animation was very cool and I liked his cameo.
Old 03-08-19, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and the film ends with Celebrity Skin by Hole. That song is from '98, so they were way off if they were going with proper soundtrack continuity.
Old 03-08-19, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Well, the one great thing I can say about this is that was the biggest applause I've yet to hear for a post-credits sequence (The first one, of course) I'm pretty sure the crowd was a helping-hand in making me like this more than I should have.

As for Larson's performance, I felt she was doing *Post-amnesiac* well. But the emotions that the character (Should) later display is never seen once. Plus, Larson really could have put more effort in the hand-to-hand combat scenes. So yeah, the criticism is believable. Another thing I hated was making us firmly believe that Fury was basically Sgt. Slaughter when he was in the service...But it turns out, he was Gomer Pyle all along. My last complaints involve the *Mostly* listless writing/directing and that TERRIBLE film score (Maybe it was referencing a generic 90's sci-fi adventure TV show on purpose with the 90's theme? Because that's all I heard)

Like some others, I've still got faith that Brie will quickly grow into the role and make her appearances welcome.
Old 03-08-19, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a sucker for the cosmic stuff. I really liked it, but I can see it has flaws. Larson was perfectly fine, but the character stuff was a bit stale. Maybe five writers wasn't the best idea.

It was great having Sam Jackson back for more than just a cameo. And I loved that there was an MCU altering plot twist with the Kree and Skrulls. Of course 20 years later, that whole situation could have reversed itself again.

It's an origin story, so they have to spend time setting things up. I think the next ones will be major improvements.
Old 03-08-19, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I thought it was an enjoyable flick. Nothing great, but I wasn't bored by any of it.

Funny how we have two big female empowerment action movies (this and Alita) in the last two months and both involve a lead character who has to recover her lost memories of her past in order to find her destiny. Captain Marvel has the better writing and character development, but Alita has the better visuals and action sequences.

Speaking of the action sequences here -- they were quite underwhelming. The bus scene wasn't bad, but the action inside the ships was badly edited and too dark to make out what the hell was going on. And the fight choreography just wasn't very imaginative (not that you could really see it, anyway, amid all the dark lighting and quick edits).

I thought Brie did a solid job. She gave the character some weight and authority and smiled more than I thought she would, but attempts to make her into a typical MCU witty and smart alecky type of hero felt awkward (or the one-liners were just flat out bad). She's no Robert Downey Jr.

(Stan Lee cameo was short, but amusing. Thanks Stan.)

As par the course for many of these films, the villains weren't particularly threatening or memorable and not much of a match for the heroine once she figured out what was going on.

Overall, an entertaining MCU origin movie, but some directing choices and musical choices fell flatter than Brie's ass.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 03-08-19 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-08-19, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Entertaining movie, and my wife loved it. She said she teared up a couple of times. Brie did come off as a wooden, but I feel like that was the character in the beginning. A trained soldier with no memory. The first half was a little slow, but things really kicked in the last half. Glad Fury got so much screen time, as that helped to link the film to the greater MCU. His de-aging was flawless, tho Coulson looked a little off. Also enjoyed seeing Jude Law in something like this.

The Mar-Vell twist didnt bother me, cause A. Ive never really read any of his comics, and B, he wasnt necessary for the plot of this origin story, unlike Carol's comic origin.

Lots of applause at the first end credits scene. And a very touching tribute to Stan in the beginning. I was not expecting that, and got me right in the feels.
Old 03-08-19, 09:46 AM

$25.00

MARVEL APPROACHED NINE INCH NAILS ABOUT DOING A COLLABORATIVE TSHIRT IN CELEBRATION OF THE RELEASE OF CAPTAIN MARVEL, IN WHICH CAROL DANVERS PROUDLY DISPLAYS A NIN SHIRT THROUGHOUT THE FILM. THIS ITEM WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR A VERY LIMITED TIME ON THE NIN.COM STORE
PRINTED IN BLACK ON A WHITE, 100% COTTON, ENZYME WASHED, MENS TEE.

https://store.nin.com/collections/cl...star-tee-white
Old 03-08-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I thought it was an enjoyable flick. Nothing great, but I wasn't bored by any of it.

Funny how we have two big female empowerment action movies (this and Alita) in the last two months and both involve a lead character who has to recover her lost memories of her past in order to find her destiny. Captain Marvel has the better writing and character development, but Alita has the better visuals and action sequences.

Speaking of the action sequences here -- they were quite underwhelming. The bus scene wasn't bad, but the action inside the ships was badly edited and too dark to make out what the hell was going on. And the fight choreography just wasn't very imaginative (not that you could really see it, anyway, amid all the dark lighting and quick edits).

I thought Brie did a solid job. She gave the character some weight and authority and smiled more than I thought she would, but attempts to make her into a typical MCU witty and smart alecky type of hero felt awkward (or the one-liners were just flat out bad). She's no Robert Downey Jr.

(Stan Lee cameo was short, but amusing. Thanks Stan.)

As par the course for many of these films, the villains weren't particularly threatening or memorable and not much of a match for the heroine once she figured out what was going on.

Overall, an entertaining MCU origin movie, but some directing choices and musical choices fell flatter than Brie's ass.

As much as I liked Captain Marvel, I'd say that Alita is the better film in both writing and directing. IMO
Old 03-08-19, 11:41 AM

CAPTAIN MARVEL earned $20.7 million in Thursday previews last night, nearly doubling WONDER WOMAN's preview gross and setting the stage for a likely $133 million-to-$173 million debut weekend
Old 03-08-19, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Also, didn't Fury said something about Alexander Pierce having something to do with his left eye missing on the Winter Soldier movie?
"Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye."

This movie definitely does make some things conflict established films.
Old 03-08-19, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
"Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye."

This movie definitely does make some things conflict established films.
Thanks! That's exactly the line I was looking for. He lost an eye because he trusted a cat?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.