Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.88%
12.62%
38.83%
22.33%
11.65%
4.85%
1.94%
0.97%
0.97%
0%
1.94%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 08-15-19, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
Disney didn't give her enough background material to study?
I don’t think it was so much that she didn’t have enough background material (although it beats me if Larson studied up on the character beforehand or not) but its my understanding through her interviews is that she wasn’t given any context to her character or told about the story line to Endgame. She was just thrown onto the set with her small portion on the script. The fact that a majority of her scenes were shot with green screen, mo-cap actors, or both, also probably didn’t help. I can understand how her character may come of as disconnected and bland in the movie.
Old 08-15-19, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love Larsen’s performance in CM. She’s the MCU equivalent of Superman right now - damn near unstoppable. That shows in her coolness and arrogance. She’s always “bemused” because she knows she can take anyone in the room. That comes across in her performance to me.

I like that she has responsibilities to the larger galaxy too. It would be like Superman stopping a bank robbery. I mean, he can, but then he has to go push a planet out of the way of a supernova or something. Things like bank robberies would be nothing to someone with that kind of power. I think that’s how she’s playing it and I like it.

Like when she doesn’t even flinch as Stormbreaker flies past her. Any other character would have reacted. CM doesn’t because why would she? Thor is trying to intimidate her and she’s just like “and...?” It’s so great.
Old 08-15-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, after re-watching Endgame, I thought she came across more bored, emotionless. Not entirely her fault, they did kind of force the character in there. I just hope she gets more personality in CM2, but I'm doubtful honestly.
Old 08-15-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
What Marvel studio films took multiple sequels to make the characters interesting or likable?
Good point.
Marvel movies' main characters "likeability" is absolutely crucial to their films....it's the Secret Sauce to their success.
If they got a new actress, I'd be happy.
Same here, but I doubt Disney will actually do it...especially with CM2 on the front burner and all.
I'm assuming they hired an Academy Award Winner for the buzz and credibility.
I'm sure on paper it looked like a swell idea.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I don’t think it was so much that she didn’t have enough background material (although it beats me if Larson studied up on the character beforehand or not) but its my understanding through her interviews is that she wasn’t given any context to her character or told about the story line to Endgame. She was just thrown onto the set with her small portion on the script. The fact that a majority of her scenes were shot with green screen, mo-cap actors, or both, also probably didn’t help. I can understand how her character may come of as disconnected and bland in the movie.
That's Disney's fault for not having a good situation for her to work with.

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
Eh, after re-watching Endgame, I thought she came across more bored, emotionless.
MORE so than in CM?
Yikes!
Old 08-15-19, 11:58 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

yeah, i mean you can't blame Disney, she's a recent Oscar winner and A list now. why wouldn't they want her? plus, just about everyone else is impeccably cast, despite status before, it just didn't quite work this time. who knows for next...
Old 08-15-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
yeah, i mean you can't blame Disney, she's a recent Oscar winner and A list now. why wouldn't they want her? plus, just about everyone else is impeccably cast, despite status before, it just didn't quite work this time. who knows for next...
Hmmmm, I'm trying to think of someone else out there who might fit the role better....
Old 08-15-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Y’all are adorable in thinking she is going to be replaced, good lord I find this whole line of thinking in this thread beyond hilarious. This is not a Terrence Howard or Edward Norton situation where Disney felt they were dealing with ungrateful actors who did not appreciate being part of the MCU, seriously, it is not even remotely close.

She has proven herself to be a good sport, showing up on GMA (or one of those type of shows) to introduce when the trailer first rolled out, and showing herself willing to promote the film...she never tried to distance herself from Marvel. She also came through relatively unscathed dealing with all sorts of crap from incels and other similar types on-line. She just shrugged off the crap people tried to throw at her on-line and did her job.

If there is a CM 2, and given how Kevin Feige has mapped out the next phase it may be a while before we see a sequel, Disney will not even remotely consider replacing her. Edward Norton is certainly as good an actor as Mark Ruffalo so it is not his acting skills or lack thereof that got him replaced but some behind the scenes stuff that clearly ruffled Disney’s feathers. We lucked out with Mark Ruffalo as the new Hulk but I bet Norton would still be the Hulk if he did not tick off certain folks at Disney.

Also, a star who is not ungrateful that headlined a billion dollar grossing film, yeah, good luck with getting her replaced. I am sure Disney is hanging on every word they read from sites like this one.
Old 08-15-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Sounds like a case of Starwars-Prequelitis.
Old 08-15-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Y’all are adorable in thinking she is going to be replaced, good lord I find this whole line of thinking in this thread beyond hilarious. This is not a Terrence Howard or Edward Norton situation where Disney felt they were dealing with ungrateful actors who did not appreciate being part of the MCU, seriously, it is not even remotely close.

She has proven herself to be a good sport, showing up on GMA (or one of those type of shows) to introduce when the trailer first rolled out, and showing herself willing to promote the film...she never tried to distance herself from Marvel. She also came through relatively unscathed dealing with all sorts of crap from incels and other similar types on-line. She just shrugged off the crap people tried to throw at her on-line and did her job.

If there is a CM 2, and given how Kevin Feige has mapped out the next phase it may be a while before we see a sequel, Disney will not even remotely consider replacing her. Edward Norton is certainly as good an actor as Mark Ruffalo so it is not his acting skills or lack thereof that got him replaced but some behind the scenes stuff that clearly ruffled Disney’s feathers. We lucked out with Mark Ruffalo as the new Hulk but I bet Norton would still be the Hulk if he did not tick off certain folks at Disney.

Also, a star who is not ungrateful that headlined a billion dollar grossing film, yeah, good luck with getting her replaced. I am sure Disney is hanging on every word they read from sites like this one.
Re-read the above posts...no one said anything about her being "grateful or ungrateful" to Disney.
We're talking about her PERFORMANCE in the role.
Old 08-15-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Exactly - she's Captain Marvel. And personally, I think she's doing a great job.
Old 08-15-19, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I love Larsen’s performance in CM. She’s the MCU equivalent of Superman right now - damn near unstoppable. That shows in her coolness and arrogance. She’s always “bemused” because she knows she can take anyone in the room. That comes across in her performance to me.

If it's based solely on her abilities, then I'd say the problem is poor writing and a dull performance. It makes her less interesting as a character. It's like a regression to action films from 30 years ago like Commando where the "unstoppable" hero always has a witty/cheesy comeback and one-liner ready, and the weak villains are no match. That type of character comes across as cardboard thin in depth and in personality.

Superman is unstoppable, and Henry Cavill in Man of Steel still gave a good and interesting performance. Thor is supposed to be unstoppable as well, and a god, and arrogant, and Hemsworth did a great job on that, giving an entertaining performance with the arrogant part playing an important role in the story. Larson's performance on the other hand was more robotic, and it seems like the producers highest aspirations for the character in the film was just a "bad ass."

Last edited by brayzie; 08-16-19 at 02:03 AM.
Old 08-15-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Y’all are adorable in thinking she is going to be replaced, good lord I find this whole line of thinking in this thread beyond hilarious.
Who's suggesting she's going to be (or should be) replaced?
Old 08-15-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post

Superman is unstoppable, and Henry Cavill in Man of Steel still gave a good and interesting performance. Thor is supposed to be unstoppable as well, and a god, and arrogant, and Hemsworth did a great job on that, giving an entertaining performance with the arrogant part playing an important role in the story. Larson's performance on the other hand was more robotic, and it seems like the producers highest aspirations for the character in the film was just "bad ass."
Well said, sir.
Old 08-15-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
Who's suggesting she's going to be (or should be) replaced?
Regardless of whether there may be a better fit to the role, Disney will not dump her without cause (so to speak).
The movie made a ton of dough, which pleases the Mouse to no end.
Larson is Cap'n Marvel...until she doesn't want to be.
Old 08-15-19, 09:04 PM

of course they are not going to dump one of the hottest actresses in the biz. they would be lunatics. shes there until the reboot in, what, 5 or so years?
Old 08-17-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
of course they are not going to dump one of the hottest actresses in the biz. they would be lunatics. shes there until the reboot in, what, 5 or so years?
No way anything gets rebooted in the MCU in that timeframe. They still have things like the Eternals to get through along with sequels to CM and Black Panther. Not to mention their takes on the XMen and Fantastic Four. Still a lot to do without the need for a reboot.
Old 08-17-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea. There are no reboots in the next 20 years. Fox and Sony properties are being folded into the “real” MCU. That’s the only reason we see Blade, Spider-Man, X Men etc.

Im not a comic book guy. But aren't some heroes populated by different characters? Like alternate Captain America, Iron Man, etc? They have no need to stray from the current continuity.
Old 08-17-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Yea. There are no reboots in the next 20 years. Fox and Sony properties are being folded into the “real” MCU. That’s the only reason we see Blade, Spider-Man, X Men etc.

Blade was a New Line (Warner) franchise, and his rights have been back with Marvel since 2013, about the same time that they got back Punisher (from Lionsgate) and Ghost Rider (from Sony). They are just now getting around to doing something with it though.Those were all just franchises that reverted due to inactivity with the license.

Sony still owns Spidey, and releases his solo films, but there is an agreement in place to use him in the MCU and Marvel still has creative control of his solo films. All of the other Spidey related movies, such as Venom and the forthcoming Morbius, are strictly Sony releases and are not connected to the MCU.

Im not a comic book guy. But aren't some heroes populated by different characters? Like alternate Captain America, Iron Man, etc? They have no need to stray from the current continuity.
This kind of thing happens all the time in comics, and in the films, Falcon has already been positioned at the next Captain America and Natalie Portman's Jane Foster is set to become Lady Thor.

Last edited by Obi-Wan Jabroni; 08-17-19 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-17-19, 04:51 PM

No way anything gets rebooted in the MCU in that timeframe. They still have things like the Eternals to get through along with sequels to CM and Black Panther. Not to mention their takes on the XMen and Fantastic Four. Still a lot to do without the need for a reboot.
i was being sarcastic. guess not...
Old 08-18-19, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Plus. there is no sense bringing back Iron Man without Robert Downey Jr. in the role. He made the role. The armor is cool and all but without RDJ, it's pointless. If they really want "a guy in a flying suit of armor", they could just cast a new actor to be one of the many other "Iron Man" suit wearers from the comics, like Eddie March or something. Make him a great character starring a great actor and there you go. Same goes for Captain America, Thor and all the rest.

I don't think we'll see reboots with the same characters for decades at least.
Old 08-18-19, 05:36 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I really enjoyed Captain Marvel. I saw nothing wrong with her acting in the movie, in my mind she was Captain Marvel. I'm glad to have purchased this on release day (even if it didn't go on sale anywhere anytime later like I was hoping it might - probably didn't wait long enough but I don't care). I gave this movie 4/5 stars.
Old 08-18-19, 09:36 AM

I wasn't a fan of Brie Larson's casting in the role. To me, she's uninteresting and bland and someone else could've done a much better job. But... what's done is done. I hate recasts with a passion. She's tolerable, at least, and is Captain Marvel. So, I'm willing to roll with it, especially since there's so much more in the MCU to enjoy.
Old 08-18-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think we'll see reboots with the same characters for decades at least.
Tell that to Disney shareholders...
Old 08-18-19, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
Tell that to Disney shareholders...
They’ll be raking in plenty without the reboots. The idea that someone other than a well known character like Spider-Man can’t carry a movie is over (well, unless you’re DC).