Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.88%
12.62%
38.83%
22.33%
11.65%
4.85%
1.94%
0.97%
0.97%
0%
1.94%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 05-28-19, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Finally saw this. One of my least favorite Marvel films. I do like Larson as an actress a great deal. But I feel like she was the main problem here. For me, she just didn't work. Felt completely miscast. I gave the movie an overall rating of 3 out of 5 stars. And that was generous. I will revisit this again one day. Maybe my opinion will change. But I just didn't enjoy it at all the first time around.
My theory is that it was the script. She had amnesia for almost the entire movie so her character was just lost and in between worlds for almost the whole movie. She didn't have any personality and hopefully it was because of that. Larson is a good actress and she certainly looks the part so I'm hoping that's what it was this. Maybe Cpt. Marvel 2 will have her be much more likeable/relatable.
Old 06-02-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was alright. Some entertaining scenes and the de-aging they did on Samuel L. Jackson was fantastic. Still not sure about Brie Larson in the lead but at least showed far more personality than her blank stares in Endgame. The visual effects also was fairly good, especially on Earth (vs. on Hala or w/e it was called). Worth a rental. 3.5/5
Old 06-02-19, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Brie Larson really dragged the film down imo. It was alright, but could have been much better with a different lead.
Old 06-02-19, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Brie Larson really dragged the film down imo. It was alright, but could have been much better with a different lead.
As much as I don't really care for her personally (I'll just leave it at that), I'd give her another chance in the sequel. Clear the directors for CM, including the writing of the screenplay, did her no favors and she seemed to be forced into Endgame, so hopefully she gets better help from those behind the camera next go around.
Old 06-02-19, 05:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

i love Brie so much, in virtually everything, but yeah, this part didn't seem to fit her or she didn't play it as well as maybe someone else...
Old 06-11-19, 12:36 PM

Old 06-12-19, 06:54 AM

I've liked it when I saw it in the theater and more since seeing it again on home video...

The menu screen (for at least the digital copy) is great!
Old 06-15-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally watched this last night.

It's a film that feels paradoxically epic and slight all the same time.

The supporting cast - especially Lynch, Law, the kid, Mendelsohn, and Benning were all excellent and perfectly cast to me.

Less so was Brie- or at least she wasn't directed well. Most of her line readings are weak and she punctuates almost all of them with a glib smirk that I think was supposed to engender a sense of sarcastic playfulness, but comes across mostly as gratingly self-satisfied. She could be effective enough in the more serious moments, but too much of the script requires her to be a female Tony Stark, which is probably the main problem.

I've never been all that taken with Jackson as Fury, and the chemistry between the two felt a little forced to me. But it was nice to see him play the part at a different pitch than the too-cool-for-school Fury of the Avengers era.

I did love the mid credit teaser though. Can't wait to see Endgame again on disc.

The opening studio tag with Lee was bittersweet and affecting, but his cameo in the film was a weak one to go out on.

Like all the MCU, I had fun. On first viewing I definitely enjoyed it more than Black Panther (thanks mostly to how muchI loved the supporting cast and over-the-top powers in CM), though the latter actually felt more epic in scope to me, despite all the galaxy hopping here.
Old 06-15-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The opening studio tag with Lee was bittersweet and affecting, but his cameo in the film was a weak one to go out on.
He didn't go out on that one. His last cameo was the one in Endgame.
Old 06-15-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Odd, I can't even remember what that was...

Oh yeah...now I remember. yeah wasn't too charmed by that one either.
Old 06-15-19, 04:37 PM

Weak? That was like his best cameo.
Old 06-15-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Mallrats gag? Not to me.

The concept was OK, especially playing into the fact that it serves to support the time frame of the story's events/
What undermined it for me was the clunky obtrusiveness in the execution of it -primarily from Brie's pause and, yet another smirking reaction to bludgeon home the "cuteness" of the moment.
Rather than simply being an Easter egg cameo, it broke the fourth wall too much for me, and destroyed the urgency of the whole moment/sequence.
Old 08-13-19, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Managed to get 75 minutes in before getting too tired.

This is a strange Marvel movie.
It takes a looooong time to get to the origin story of Captain Marvel.

Larson's portrayal of this character is weird and none too convincing.
Most of the time she looks like she is suppressing the urge to giggle or laugh.
The problem it creates is I can't take her, and consequently the character, seriously.
It's a real problem.
Sam Jackson and Jude Law are as serious as heart attacks, but she doesn't appear to be.

Tomorrow I'll finish up.
Old 08-14-19, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finished the 2nd half up tonight.

Like 2 different movies.
Larson acts more serious in the role in the final half and the movie is all the better for it...in spite of the fact the main attraction turns out NOT to be Capt. Marvel.
Rather, it's Goose the orange tabby.
Still a lightweight affair, but at least a credible entry in to the Marvel Pantheon of Hollywood Movies.
Old 08-14-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To me the only thing that mattered in this movie was the end credit scene that ties it to the Avengers.
Old 08-14-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To tie it to the 10 minutes she's in Endgame.
Old 08-14-19, 04:53 PM

i love Brie, but i don't think she acted in this at all. or Endgame for that matter. she just is blah and again, i love her and her acting, but she did nothing with this character, even though i did like the movie as a whole...

edit...wow! reading my original post i think i gave this movie and Larson way too much credit. i will have to see again in 3D and truly decide...
Old 08-14-19, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think people can be too hard on these origin character movies. The first Cap and Thor weren't anything too great or that well received either. People love both characters now, and their characters got better as the MCU went along. The MCU is like a marathon, not a sprint. I see no reason why the character of Captain Marvel can't grow and evolve (or perhaps even be tweaked or somewhat re-invented/re-imagined, if needed) like the characters of Cap and Thor. Cap didn't even have a unique fighting style till the second film, and Thor was entirely absent in Civil War three years ago and many people didn't even care.

And now, post Ragnarok, people can't get enough of him. So it takes time.
Old 08-14-19, 06:00 PM

but he still had personality and some humor continuously from first Thor, granted much lighter and better now (perhaps bc of Waititi), but still a presence in beginning. Larson did not in this...
Old 08-14-19, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
edit...wow! reading my original post i think i gave this movie and Larson way too much credit. i will have to see again in 3D and truly decide...
How does seeing a movie in 3D improve the acting?
Old 08-14-19, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PacMan2006 View Post
I think people can be too hard on these origin character movies. The first Cap and Thor weren't anything too great or that well received either. People love both characters now, and their characters got better as the MCU went along. The MCU is like a marathon, not a sprint. I see no reason why the character of Captain Marvel can't grow and evolve (or perhaps even be tweaked or somewhat re-invented/re-imagined, if needed) like the characters of Cap and Thor. Cap didn't even have a unique fighting style till the second film, and Thor was entirely absent in Civil War three years ago and many people didn't even care.

And now, post Ragnarok, people can't get enough of him. So it takes time.
You make an interesting point. I give Larson a pass on her acting in Endgame based on how little character info she had going in and I’ll also give her a little leeway for Captain Marvel based on the points you noted in your post. My biggest issue with Larson in Captain Marvel wasn’t so much that she hasn’t quite figured out her character it was that she didn’t seem to care. Hell, it took RDJ like 5 movies before he didn’t seem to care (Then he snapped out of it for the last couple).

I worry that Larson mistakenly took the role because she wanted either the payday or her agent told her not to pass on the Marvel behemoth. I hope she doesn’t feel that she’s above the character and the series.
Old 08-14-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Acting In 2D movies always seems so flat. In 3D, the performances really leap off the screen.
Old 08-14-19, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
It doesn’t. I have the format and merely watching on it. I don’t think it will influence the movie. Wasn’t thinking that, but if it does enhance with some great depth and popout effects for a less than mediocre film than I’m all for it and i would certainly take the whole experience into account...
Old 08-15-19, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PacMan2006 View Post
I think people can be too hard on these origin character movies. The first Cap and Thor weren't anything too great or that well received either. People love both characters now, and their characters got better as the MCU went along. The MCU is like a marathon, not a sprint.
Good point.
The problem is we can only go on the one movie in the series, at least until others are released (usually years later).
I see no reason why the character of Captain Marvel can't grow and evolve (or perhaps even be tweaked or somewhat re-invented/re-imagined, if needed)
The movie shows the source material is good...Capt. Marvel is cool.
Perhaps changing out the Director and Larson will pay dividends.
Thor was entirely absent in Civil War three years ago and many people didn't even care.
I didn't realize that.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I give Larson a pass on her acting in Endgame based on how little character info she had going in.

Disney didn't give her enough background material to study?

My biggest issue with Larson in Captain Marvel wasn’t so much that she hasn’t quite figured out her character it was that she didn’t seem to care.
I worry that Larson mistakenly took the role because she wanted either the payday or her agent told her not to pass on the Marvel behemoth. I hope she doesn’t feel that she’s above the character and the series.
My suspicion too.

This is Disney's fault for casting her IMO.
As soon as the Dailies started coming in, they should have recognized they had a problem.
Old 08-15-19, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
but he still had personality and some humor continuously from first Thor, granted much lighter and better now (perhaps bc of Waititi), but still a presence in beginning. Larson did not in this...
Yeah, Hemsworth was believable as an arrogant, warrior god, and funny when the scene demanded it ("You're no match for the Mighty...). In fact the only criticism I remember of the first Thor was the fake pop-up town and Jane.
RDJ was great in the first Iron Man. Chris Evans has been consistent in every Cap film. What Marvel studio films took multiple sequels to make the characters interesting or likable?

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
Good point.
Perhaps changing out the Director and Larson will pay dividends.
If they got a new actress, I'd be happy.

This is Disney's fault for casting her IMO.
As soon as the Dailies started coming in, they should have recognized they had a problem.
It's not a fault in Disney's eyes as the film made big money. I'm assuming they hired an Academy Award Winner for the buzz and credibility. But yeah, I wish they had cast someone else because she was pretty dull.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.