Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.85%
12.50%
38.46%
22.12%
11.54%
5.77%
1.92%
0.96%
0.96%
0%
1.92%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Re: Captain Marvel (Boden/Fleck, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
It does feel like there's a much better, longer movie in there. Why not let the film be 140 minutes? Does anyone think a Marvel film won't make a ton of money? Or at the very least break even and be another piece in the MCU Neverending Mega Franchise.

Having thought about it for a couple of days, I think the one big problem I had was the excessive 90s references. A few at the beginning to give the setting, a joke here and there is fine. But by the time we get to the secret base, and you want to plot to start paying off, seeing those stupid troll dolls on the monitor was just annoying. And it's fine that they only used 90s songs for the soundtrack, but how about using some of minor hits here and there? Were they only allowed to use the massive hits songs that climbed to the very top of that 1990s musical zeitgeist? If this film took place in the 60s, it'd probably be wall to wall Bob Dylan and the Beatles.
Yeah the references were a lot more hit you over the head. More like Wedding Singer than Stranger Things. And even though I did like the soundtrack it lacked the subtlety and originality of the GotG soundtracks. James Gunn is just a master of choosing appropriate and known but still somewhat hidden gems for his two movies.
Old 03-20-19, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
Mandela Effect - he remembered Benning being in Ant-man and Wasp even though she wasn't. Probably confused her for Pfeiffer.
No, Pfeiffer was in Aquaman, Nicole Kidman was in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Spoiler:
Old 03-20-19, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
So here is my half-drunk synopsis ...

Carol Danvers leaves her band, Creed (made up of Obi-Wannabe Kenobi, The “Who” guy from Guardians of the Galaxy, Papa Smurf, and Hot Blue Sniper Girl), to return to Earth and chase Squirrels while wearing a Nine Inch Nails shirt. The Squirrels are a race of green goblins who can change their appearance to look like people. This is cool because Carol beats the crap out of an old lady on the subway. Everybody tries to help the old lady, but nobody seems to notice she is bouncing off the walls and doing gymnastic Kung-fu.

Young Phil Coulson and Young Nick Furry (because he loves cats, see more later) show up and toss around 90s references in the background. Then it turns out that fake Young Phil Coulson is actually a Squirrel that Nick Furry kills in a deliberate car crash. Their boss, the boss from Silence of the Lambs, is also a Squirrel.

Like BattleStar Galactica’s “frak”, Disney creates the word “flerk” so that Samuel L. “Mother Flerker” Jackson can use his catch phrase. Not only that, but people really hate flerkin cats in this flerkin movie. Except Nick Furry, he loves cats but won’t eat diagonally cut toast.

Then we find out Squirrels are good and the band Creed was actually bad. They go to Carol’s girlfirend’s house and turn an airplane into a space ship so they can go rescue the Squirrel families that Annette Benning hid in outer space. A fight ensues with Carol and Creed. Obi-Wannabe Kenobi follows her back to Earth and Blue Man Group shows up to try to nuke the planet. Carol kicks everbody’s asses and sends them back to hollar at Annette Benning who is also a computer brain posing as Annette Benning.

I think that’s about it. Oh, the cat has a flerkin octopus in its mouth and it eats the Tesseract. Then it scratches out Nick Furry’s flerkin eye and coughs the Tesseract back up.

In the post credits scene, Carol meets up with Blonde Widow, the other Captain (not Morgan), Iron Legs, and Bruce Banner.

You really have to do more of these.
Old 03-20-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was good not great. Probably right in the middle of the pack of the MCU. That being said I still liked it a lot. I agree that pacing was an issue, it just felt uneven with no real climax. I think the "wooden" performance is more a problem with the script and the directing. Actually I think a lot of the problems have to do with the directing. Despite such a spectacular character the action was kind of boring and generic. I thought Wasp's scenes were much better done. It just seemed to lack punch. She was too angsty with her amnesia issues. It just isn't much fun if your main character is playing that part for most of the movie. It kind of reminded me of Ryan Gosling in First Man. That being said I loved her in the role and think she will really grow into it in subsequent movies. I absolutely loved the buddy cop feel with Cpt. Marvel and Nick Fury. It was awesome seeing that side of him and like others have said the deaging was just absolutely flawless. No uncanny valley at all. Seriously this is a landmark movie in SFX for this. Can't believe we went from the horrible deaging in the first Ant-Man of Micheal Douglas to this in just 4 short years. I really loved seeing Coulson back on the big screen wish he was in more of the movie. Maybe there's a chance he'll show up in Endgame?

I'm surprised not more people have compared this with Wonder Woman. In a lot of ways I think WW had more of an impact and a better film (until the 3rd act). I thought it was more empowering and more punchy as well and deserved a lot more of the buzz that they tried to generate with Cpt. Marvel. I did really appreciate the little things though. Like how her outfit wasn't ridiculously revealing or how her hair wasn't always perfectly brushed especially in the middle of a battle.

I hate to discuss it but I don't remember all the haters showing up for WW like they seem to have for Capt. Marvel? And that was much more of a SJW (I hate that term) movie than this. Or for Alita for that matter. I don't get it. Is it just Marvel/Disney they hate for some stupid reason?
Old 03-20-19, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I'm surprised not more people have compared this with Wonder Woman. In a lot of ways I think WW had more of an impact and a better film (until the 3rd act). I thought it was more empowering and more punchy as well and deserved a lot more of the buzz that they tried to generate with Cpt. Marvel. I did really appreciate the little things though. Like how her outfit wasn't ridiculously revealing or how her hair wasn't always perfectly brushed especially in the middle of a battle.
Yep, Wonder Woman had a great first and middle act and a poor third act, while Captain Marvel has (IMO) a weak first act and strong middle and third acts. I probably liked WW a tad more, but the two films aren't all that far apart in terms of quality.
Old 03-20-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I had an odd experience seeing this movie. I'm fairly certain something was wrong with the sound balance in that the soundtrack was way too quiet in the mix. In dialogue sequences, the underlying score was barely audible. It had the odd effect of leaving some very long, awkward silences between lines of dialog. It was also often hard to tell what mood the movie was going for because of the lack of music. Even worse were the action sequences. Say what you will about the choice of "Just a Girl," but it played so quietly during that scene that instead of being a loud rabble-rouser, it came across like someone was playing the song quietly on a boombox while people fought each other.

Needless to say, this flaw affected my overall enjoyment of the movie. I look forward to seeing it again (likely at home) with a proper mix. In spite of this, I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would. I didn't think Larsen was all that wooden, although she still wouldn't be my first choice for that role and I found myself enjoying the Nick Fury scenes the most. The dialogue could have been much better, and I found myself rolling my eyes constantly at the clunky line given to Danvers' friend's daughter (nevermind how stupid it was that the girl was able to intuitively understand the alien tech on Danver's color-changing uniform). I was overall entertained, but I didn't feel particularly invested in the character as I was with other MCU origin films. It's definitely mid- to low-tier Marvel, but I'm a huge fan of the franchise overall, so it's still a solid entry. It's better than Hulk, the first two Thor movies, and Iron Man 2. About even with Dr. Strange and Ant-Man. And if we must compare it to other female superhero movies, Wonder Woman was the better film.

Glad I saw it. Looking forward to seeing how well Captain Marvel is incorporated into the fabric of Endgame.
Old 03-20-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I had an odd experience seeing this movie. I'm fairly certain something was wrong with the sound balance in that the soundtrack was way too quiet in the mix. In dialogue sequences, the underlying score was barely audible. It had the odd effect of leaving some very long, awkward silences between lines of dialog. It was also often hard to tell what mood the movie was going for because of the lack of music. Even worse were the action sequences. Say what you will about the choice of "Just a Girl," but it played so quietly during that scene that instead of being a loud rabble-rouser, it came across like someone was playing the song quietly on a boombox while people fought each other.
I didn't personally experience this, but you aren't the first person to report this here.
Old 03-20-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I didn't personally experience this, but you aren't the first person to report this here.
I read back through the thread and saw a couple of people complaining that the dialogue was too quiet during their viewing. Seems I had the opposite problem at mine.
Old 03-20-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Yep, I was one of the people that had the same issue. I've never had that happen at this theater before. Really want to see it again with a fixed mix.
Old 03-20-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

The sound seemed off in my theater too - overall much quieter than I'm used to especially for movies of this kind.

I had tried to post my thoughts on this movie last night, but I had issues with the site and lost the post. I gave this 3 stars because it had some solid elements, but also some pretty significant flaws, especially in the editing and direction (IMO).
Old 03-20-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually I think my cousin summed it up pretty well. 6/10 overall but 8/10 within the MCU. I hate to admit it but I think a lot of the enjoyment of the movie was dependent on your knowledge of previous MCU movies. A lot of my favorite parts was of Fury and Marvel. You don't quite appreciate how fun it is to see him during his younger days if you don't know what he's like in the other movies. It's also exciting to see the future leader of the MCU and the potential that she brings with her. As a stand alone movie it doesn't really hold up as well because a lot of the excitement is dependent on what the movie means to the MCU as a whole.
Old 03-20-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yep, Wonder Woman had a great first and middle act and a poor third act, while Captain Marvel has (IMO) a weak first act and strong middle and third acts. I probably liked WW a tad more, but the two films aren't all that far apart in terms of quality.
Difference maker for me is the No Man's Land sequence. Top 5 favorite comic book action set pieces.
Old 03-21-19, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Difference maker for me is the No Man's Land sequence. Top 5 favorite comic book action set pieces.
Oh yeah I totally agree. I absolutely love that scene. And maybe because it took place in the very real background of WWI but it just was more meaningful because she took action when everyone else stood still. There was no real memorable action set piece in Cpt. Marvel that really resonated. Yeah there was the ending space battle but for some reason it didn't resonate as much as other action sequences.
Old 03-21-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Yep, I was one of the people that had the same issue. I've never had that happen at this theater before. Really want to see it again with a fixed mix.
We had the sound issue as well.. I wear a hearing aid and had to put it on the highest setting to hear it. It still wasn't loud enough. My fiance has perfect hearing and she said it was too low as well.
Old 03-22-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Loved it. Brie is fantastic in the role and her character is a total badass. Loved that there wasn’t a hint of her needing a romantic subplot with anyone.

I never read any Captain Marvel books so I didn’t care what happened to the character - it all worked for me. Fun to see Jackson and Gregg as young SHIELD agents and the 90s setting was very fun.

Stan Lee cameo was great and the tribute at the beginning was very nice.
Can’t wait to see more of her in Endgame.
This sums it up for me, loved it.
Old 03-28-19, 08:11 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 04-02-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Sound was too low and mixed weird when I saw it too.
Old 04-03-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

I took my 10-year old daughter and 5-year old son to this. My son was bored, which I figured he would be, but he insisted on coming. Ten minutes in, he asked if it was almost over. After, he said it was the best movie ever!!! Only one moment early on scared him a bit, though, so that was good. He also said that some of the characters need to watch it with their "naughty words."

My daughter got teary-eyed when it was revealed the Kreels were the good guys and trying to reunite their family--such a softy and I had a laugh at her expense. Then I got a little teary-eyed myself during the montage of the young Carol being knocked down and getting back up because it reminded me of my daughter so much. Such a softy.

As far as music choices, at least they didn't use "Tubthumping" during that montage.

She absolutely loved it and wants to see it again ASAP (which will be on Blu-Ray, because if I could wait years and years for ET on VHS, she can handle a couple of months).

Anyway, I thought it was good fun made better since I had her with me. I do agree that Fury was a little too calm about losing his eye, which is one risk with this kind of storytelling when things happen because they need to happen to fit in elsewhere and the "in the moment" implications are kind of lost.

In addition to Arnold's head on the True Lies poster getting blown off in the Blockbuster there was a Last Action Hero box front and center, a movie that also featured a cameo from a Blockbuster and a moment of sorts with an Arnold movie poster.
Old 04-10-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Finally saw this. Loved it, but agree with Brie's acting being a little out of place.
Originally Posted by movieguru
The character she plays is more serious and lacks emotions to some degree which may be interpreted as Larson being wooden.
This has been mentioned several times in this thread, but I don't think that's the reason I thought she seemed out of place. She's trained to be some emotionless character, sure but throughout the movie she shows a ton of emotion so it's not that. Rather I had a hard time taking her seriously as a "bad ass" and yet she was still strangely wooden during her personal moments.

The other thing that took me a little out of this movie were how much she and Talos basically used a ton of Earth humor and speech patterns. You could explain it away as Talos adapting via impersonation and Danvers being originally from Earth and having it come out, it just seemed really weird to me.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Oh ... one more thought that I want to share ...

I had a Mandela Effect moment during the movie ... I remembered liking Annette Benning in Ant Man and The Wasp with Michael Douglas and couldn’t figure out why they were reusing her here.

Yeah. I eventually figured it out.
Imagine the Mandela effect of someone who feels like they recognized Djimon Hounsou from multiple universes, even a parallel Captain Marvel.

Old 04-10-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Imagine the Mandela effect of someone who feels like they recognized Djimon Hounsou from multiple universes, even a parallel Captain Marvel.
Who?
Old 04-10-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Who?
Exactly.

Forgot to mention that this was an interesting take on the Skrulls, and if they ever do Secret Invasion it'll be a punch in the gut.
Old 05-27-19, 07:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

so i was watching a little of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Fury tells Cap that the last time he trusted someone he lost an eye and was dead serious. But, as we all know it was Goose the Flerken in CM that did it without malice. yes, he could be covering to Cap to hide the ridiculousness of it all, but was this a flub or continuity error or whatever?
Old 05-27-19, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

You'll be able to buy the Digital HD of this tonight starting at 9pm PST on Vudu. FYI.
Old 05-27-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Finally saw this. One of my least favorite Marvel films. I do like Larson as an actress a great deal. But I feel like she was the main problem here. For me, she just didn't work. Felt completely miscast. I gave the movie an overall rating of 3 out of 5 stars. And that was generous. I will revisit this again one day. Maybe my opinion will change. But I just didn't enjoy it at all the first time around.
Old 05-27-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so i was watching a little of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Fury tells Cap that the last time he trusted someone he lost an eye and was dead serious. But, as we all know it was Goose the Flerken in CM that did it without malice. yes, he could be covering to Cap to hide the ridiculousness of it all, but was this a flub or continuity error or whatever?
There’s no flub. Fury tells Goose “I’m going to trust you.”

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.