Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Escape Room: Tournament of Champions (2021, D: Robitel)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

https://deadline.com/2019/02/escape-...ll-1202565184/

In the wake of Columbia Pictures amassing close to $119M at the worldwide box office off the $9M horror feature Escape Room, the studio is moving forward on the development of a sequel, Deadline has learned.

Adam Robitel will return to direct Escape Room 2, as well as writer Bragi F. Schut and producer Neal H. Moritz.

Escape Room follows six strangers who find themselves in a maze of deadly rooms, and must use their wits to find the clues or die.

Plot details for Escape Room 2 are being kept under wraps.

The pic which stars Deborah Ann Woll, Taylor Russell, Logan Miller, Jay Ellis and Tyler Labine opened to no. 2 at the Jan. 4-6 weekend B.O. amidst heavy post holiday competition with $18.2M, beating its $10M-$14M tracking estimates. Escape Room currently counts $56.1M at the domestic B.O., $62.5M abroad with several territories left to open.

The film opened in China on Jan. 18 to $8.5M and went on to take in $34.2M in the territory.

No surprise. This was actually a surprise hit. It did very well. It was a pretty fun and creative movie, but pretty much no one in this forum watched it in theatres.
Old 02-25-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
re: Escape Room: Tournament of Champions (2021, D: Robitel)

Cool. I'm in.
Old 02-28-20, 06:58 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Sony’s Escape Room 2 is jumping its release date from Aug. 14 to Wednesday Dec. 30 this year. Adam Robitel, who directed the first $9M production, returns to helm here. The first movie last year grossed $57M stateside, and $155.7M WW with 22% of that latter number coming from China.
https://deadline.com/2020/02/escape-...as-1202870886/
Old 02-28-20, 10:30 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

First one was a perfect AMC A-List movie, I'm in for more.
Old 10-06-20, 06:46 AM

Old 04-26-21, 09:16 PM

The sequel to the 2019 psychological thriller will now debut on July 16, 2021, nearly six months earlier than its planned release date of Jan. 7, 2022.

Though plot details for “Escape Room 2” have not been revealed, the original film’s director, Adam Robitel, and producer Neal H. Moritz have returned for the second installment. Leads Taylor Russell and Logan Miller will also repeat their roles, joined by a cast including Indya Moore, Holland Roden, Isabelle Fuhrman, Carlito Olivero, Thomas Cocquerel and James Frain. “Escape Room 2” is executive produced by Robitel, Karina Rahardja and Philip Waley, with a screenplay by Will Honley, Maria Melnik and Daniel Tuch from a story by Honley, Christine Lavaf and Fritz Bohm.
Old 04-26-21, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

I love the first movie, so I’m excited for this.

The billiards room from the first movie was fantastic.
Old 05-26-21, 08:30 AM

Re: Escape Room: Tournament of Champions (2021, D: Robitel)

Escape Room: Tournament of Champions is the sequel to the box office hit psychological thriller that terrified audiences around the world. In this installment, six people unwittingly find themselves locked in another series of escape rooms, slowly uncovering what they have in common to survive…and discovering they’ve all played the game before.

Directed by:
Adam Robitel

Screenplay by:
Will Honley and Oren Uziel and Maria Melnik & Daniel Tuch

Story by:
Will Honley and Christine Lavaf & Fritz Bohm

Produced by:
Neal H. Moritz

Executive Producers:
Adam Robitel
Karina Rahardja
Philip Waley

Cast:
Taylor Russell
Logan Miller
Indya Moore
Holland Roden
Thomas Cocquerel
Carlito Olivero
Old 05-26-21, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Looks fun and I really enjoyed the 1st movie, so of course I'll see this. July has a decent amount of new stuff coming out.
Old 05-30-21, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Looks fun and I really enjoyed the 1st movie, so of course I'll see this.
Old 07-16-21, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Seeing a matinee Friday afternoon.

The RT isn't good at 44% right now

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/esc...t_of_champions

Scott Mendelson from Forbes, who I follow on Twitter liked it and gave it a positive review

Old 07-16-21, 04:24 AM

I thought it was a letdown. The actors weren’t good and the new rooms were no where near as cool as the first. There was one nice surprise towards the end. The ending, just as the first, was lame.
Old 07-16-21, 07:45 AM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Bummer to hear that, I really liked the first one.
Old 07-16-21, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

I know nothing of this movie other than the trailer but it appears that this is one of those films that shows you the end of the movie in the trailer?
Spoiler:
The scene in the plane certainly looks like a final shot where the protagonist finally got away, boarded a plane thinking everything was finally over, only to get pulled back in.

Old 07-16-21, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I saw a movie recently where the ending scene was the poster art (and it was obvious looking at it), I don't get the logic there.
Old 07-16-21, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

The local theatre re-opened today after being shut-down since November, so I was eager to see something. Unfortunately, my back is real bad right now, so I picked seeing Escape Room since it has such a short runtime (88 minutes) and I figured I could sit through that and not kill myself.

Never heard of this movie, didn't even know it was a sequel until it opened with a re-cap of the previous film. Still, I enjoyed this for what it was. The game room scenes were all well-done, with interesting visuals. I liked that the movie was lean and didn't waste time on needless things. I was satisfied.
Old 07-16-21, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk God

I just got back from seeing this. It's not boring and there are some entertaining sequences. But, I was a little disappointed. The traps were nowhere near as creative as the 1st movie. They were pretty substandard. Also, the cast aside from the two returning actors from the 1st movie were very forgettable. I did not care if any of them lived or died.

There is a surprise in the last half of the movie that I did not expect.

I had one issue with one of the trap sequences:

The sequence when Zoey, Rachel and Brianna were trapped in the fake NY set:.
Spoiler:
They tossed Zoey an umbrella to protect herself against the acid rain because she could not fit in the phone booth after the timer went off. Now, I had to question was the umbrella acid-proof? Because the acid literally melted the taxi cab & chain. However, the plastic ketchup bottle and a cheap plastic umbrella were resistant?

and they do leave things open for another sequel.

It's super short at 88 minutes. So guess if you're a fan of the 1st movie, you could try this.
Old 07-17-21, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I had one issue with one of the trap sequences:

The sequence when Zoey, Rachel and Brianna were trapped in the fake NY set:.
Spoiler:
They tossed Zoey an umbrella to protect herself against the acid rain because she could not fit in the phone booth after the timer went off. Now, I had to question was the umbrella acid-proof? Because the acid literally melted the taxi cab & chain. However, the plastic ketchup bottle and a cheap plastic umbrella were resistant?

Spoiler:
The ketchup bottle had been left there for the express purpose of collecting the acid, they explained it was made of a material that couldn't be dissolved (there's a shot where they flip it over and its bottom had been stamped as being made of this certain material).

As for the umbrella, I'd have to see the scene again, but I assumed it was the same as the awnings, which were dissolved by the acid, but slowly. Standing under them they still got drops of acid on them (sort of like when you're standing under a tree during a rainstorm), but not the full brunt they would have gotten without this temporary shelter.

Old 07-18-21, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this over the weekend.

I agree with a lot of what has already been said in the thread, that while the film is rarely boring, it was a bit of a disappointment.

Didn't find myself caring about any of the new characters (compared to the first). I honestly don't remember any of their names outside the woman who couldn't feel pain.

Appreciated one of the surprises the film did bring to the table though.
Old 07-21-21, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Enjoyed the first one well enough for what it was, but I thought this was bad. Given what
Spoiler:
Vampire Jessica

had to say wouldn't that mean that the
Spoiler:
priest

is still alive. Or maybe we're just supposed to roll past that given all the nonsense
Spoiler:
at the end. I mean the movie didn't even bother trying to explain how all those people (and only those people) ended up in the train car.