Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 91st Academy Awards --> 2019 Awards Show Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: How'd you like the show overall?
7.69%
26.92%
11.54%
19.23%
7.69%
11.54%
What are you high?
15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

The 91st Academy Awards --> 2019 Awards Show Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-19, 10:31 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: The 91st Academy Awards --> 2019 Awards Show Discussion

Sometimes there’s campaigning by the filmmakers and studios to get an actor nominated as supporting vs leading because he has a better chance of winning.

That chick who was awarded for Skin was utterly obnoxious.

Regarding the In Memorium; remember that it’s first and foremost a memorium to Academy members, not to anyone and everyone who worked in motion pictures.
Old 02-26-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The Memoerial was weird... lots of folks very few people would have heard of, and then they skip over actors like R. Lee Ermey and Verne Troyer, and even Gary “Star Wars” Kurtz.

And I guess Clint is still having Sondra Locke blackballed.
That's unfortunate.
With the possible exception of Troyer, all should have been mentioned.
Old 02-26-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I liked Queen's "We Are The Champions / We Will Rock You" performance to open the Oscars, but I think they should've invited Marc Martel to sing instead of Adam Lambert. Yeah, I know Queen tours with Lambert under the "Queen + Adam Lambert" moniker, but Marc Martel is the singer who doubled for Freddy Mercury's singing voice in "Bohemian Rhapsody" when they couldn't use existing recording of Mercury, so he's actually in the movie unlike Lambert.

And Marc Martel sounds a lot more like Freddy Mercury than Adam Lambert ever does, for example in videos he uploads like this one:

Old 02-26-19, 11:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

To be fair, Adam Lambert is not trying to sound like Freddy Mercury.
Old 02-26-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, Lambert does his own take on the classics, some people like it, and understandably some don't.

They may have just wanted to avoid mimicking Freddie as well, hard to honor the deceased when you show they're replaceable.
Old 02-26-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
A lot of speculation about this today, but I think it is more of a Titanic situation. 20 years later and it is still clear that Kate and Leo have tremendous affection for each other and know they will be connected forever. Gaga absolutely adores Cooper and with good reason. He gave her the opportunity of a lifetime. I don't know what is going on with her psychologically, but having people "believe in her" is SO important to her.

This whole thing about Cooper and Gaga is so stupid Even if she's not by training, he's an actor. A damn good one, actually. It was a performance, nothing more. I've performed in stage shows and kissed people who weren't my wife. My co-workers see the show and get all weird about it - "I could never do that. Doesn't your wife get jealous?" No, because it's all fake and she knows that. I'm nowhere near Cooper's acting ability and I can sell it.

Kate and Leo are a great example - they had great chemistry and are obviously friends and THAT'S IT
Old 02-26-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Are you by any chance a film critic for Fox News?

Well, that's the cruelest thing anyone has ever said to me
Old 02-26-19, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Charlize Theron drinks Budweiser?

If guzzling Bud is why she looks like this over 40, then I demand we start forcing every woman in America to drink one Bud every day of their adult lives.

Old 02-26-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Well, that's the cruelest thing anyone has ever said to me
Happened to notice that Spike's acceptance speech was a hot topic of conversation on State Propaganda News Network last night. Just sayin'

Last edited by Decker; 02-26-19 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-26-19, 02:57 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
This whole thing about Cooper and Gaga is so stupid Even if she's not by training, he's an actor. A damn good one, actually. It was a performance, nothing more. I've performed in stage shows and kissed people who weren't my wife. My co-workers see the show and get all weird about it - "I could never do that. Doesn't your wife get jealous?" No, because it's all fake and she knows that. I'm nowhere near Cooper's acting ability and I can sell it.

Kate and Leo are a great example - they had great chemistry and are obviously friends and THAT'S IT
Yes it was clearly an act. I don’t understand the folks who can’t see that.
Old 02-26-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

If guzzling Bud is why she looks like this over 40, then I demand we start forcing every woman in America to drink one Bud every day of their adult lives.
Agree. She can drink whatever the fucking hell she wants looking like that. Perhaps someone should send a 6-pack of Bud to Sarah Jessica Parker. Sorry Stella.
Old 02-26-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by critic dude from slate about "SKIN"
Do I need to say more? Do I need to point out the film’s bizarre equation of a Nazi gang with … like, all local black people, bent on tribal racial revenge? Do I need to tease out the actual implications of its big reveal? (Hey, Nazis, did you know you’re a little pigment away from being black??)
That dude has a lot of imagination:

- You've never seen a movie based on "the tables are turned" plot device before? No, it doesn't mean that it's an attempt to generalize and equate the two "groups".

- Your "big reveal" is just... weird... All it means is you're going to get judged based on the color of your skin. Kid thinks the guy entering his home is black, he shoots him.

And, FYI, the same director, the same year, made another movie, full length, titled "SKIN", which is the true story of a nazi/white supremacist trying to get out of the group and lead a normal family life. And he's screwed because he's covered in tatoos from head to toe. And he has to go through the painful process of having them all removed. He's essentially trying to go from Nazi to "white". The guy in the short went from Nazi to "black".

Critic dude is trying to find racism where it doesn't exist.
Old 02-26-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

Yes it was clearly an act. I don’t understand the folks who can’t see that.
Cause bored housewives everywhere who saw A Star is Born WANT it to be true.

It’s their weird little way of playing matchmaker to two people they’ve never met but want to see together.
Old 02-26-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
That dude has a lot of imagination:

- You've never seen a movie based on "the tables are turned" plot device before? No, it doesn't mean that it's an attempt to generalize and equate the two "groups".
That's exactly what I was thinking.
I could have sworn I've seen or read a couple stories like that where the racist guy/klansman somehow ends up being black, and his racist friends end up killing him. I don't know if it was an old EC comic, or something like HBO Tales from The Crypt. Maybe a Ray Bradbury story.

Last edited by brayzie; 02-26-19 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-26-19, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I could have sworn I've seen or read a couple stories like that where the racist guy/klansman somehow ends up being black, and his racist friends end up killing him. I don't know if it was an old EC comic, or something like HBO Tales from The Crypt. Maybe a Ray Bradbury story.
That kind of sounds familiar, and I've read tons of EC comics. Maybe in an issue of Shock SuspenStories? It was the early 50's, but EC comics were way ahead of their time for stuff like this.
Old 02-26-19, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
That kind of sounds familiar, and I've read tons of EC comics. Maybe in an issue of Shock SuspenStories? It was the early 50's, but EC comics were way ahead of their time for stuff like this.
No, it was a Spawn comic! I just remembered. Spawn encounters some rural KKK, and he ends up using his powers to turn the leader black, and his racist buddies don't realize it's their leader, and they end up killing him.
link
EC has a story and it's about a KKK analog and interracial relationships.
Spoiler:
The KKK leaders daughter is dating a hispanic guy, and him and his buddies in hoods go to abduct him in a cloth sack and whip him to death. When they take the dead body out the sack, it turns out it was the leader's daughter.

I agree, EC was a head of their time. The robot/alien astronaut story is one that comes to mind, and I think they did another KKK-like story where the FBI infiltrates them.
Old 02-26-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
No, it was a Spawn comic! I just remembered. Spawn encounters some rural KKK, and he ends up using his powers to turn the leader black, and his racist buddies don't realize it's their leader, and they end up killing him.
link
EC has a story and it's about a KKK analog and interracial relationships.
Spoiler:
The KKK leaders daughter is dating a hispanic guy, and him and his buddies in hoods go to abduct him in a cloth sack and whip him to death. When they take the dead body out the sack, it turns out it was the leader's daughter.

I agree, EC was a head of their time. The robot/alien astronaut story is one that comes to mind, and I think they did another KKK-like story where the FBI infiltrates them.
It also sounds a lot like the infamous Vic Morrow segment of Twilight Zone: The Movie ("Time Out") where a racist is seen by others as Jewish, black, and Vietnamese.
Old 02-26-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Plus, pretty much every revenge film is built on a variation of this "role reversal". Rape/revenge films, holocaust survivor finds/kidnaps/tortures former Nazi camp guy, etc.
Old 02-26-19, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

I know BlacKKKlansman is an adapted screenplay. I just assumed it was adapted from this:

Spoiler:
WARNING! This video contains NSFW language

Old 02-26-19, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
...Marc Martel is the singer who doubled for Freddy Mercury's singing voice in "Bohemian Rhapsody" when they couldn't use existing recording of Mercury, so he's actually in the movie unlike Lambert.
Actually Adam Lambert is in the movie. He was the trucker who gave Freddie the "come hither" look on his way to the men's restroom.
Old 02-27-19, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
https://slate.com/culture/2019/02/os...in-review.html

Green Book’s Best Picture Win Wasn’t the Most Embarrassing Oscar Victory. This Was.
By JEFFREY BLOOMER

Since its ghastly but predictable triumph at the Oscars, Green Book has been called the “worst best picture Oscar winner since Crash,” the latest example of the Academy “pissing on itself on a world stage like Jackson Maine.” Not wrong. Yet Green Book was not the worst movie to win at the Academy Awards last night, nor was its victory the night’s most embarrassing. That is because Skin won.

You might not know what Skin is. The award it won, Best Live Action Short Film, is perennially ignored, one of the “minor” categories that had been scheduled to be awarded during a commercial break before the Academy reversed course. But even in a lineup of nominees in its category that this year included a child slowly sinking to his death in quicksand and another film that reenacted the kidnap and torture of a toddler, Skin was the pièce de résistance, an idiotic parable about racist violence so breathtakingly vulgar that the audience in the theater where I saw it laughed out loud in incredulity when the lights came up. Even when you’ve just watched it, it is honestly hard to believe it’s real. But it is real, and it has an Oscar.

I’m just going to describe the plot now. (Spoilers ahead for a bad movie I hope you never watch.) Skin opens with a portrait of a father, a mother, and their young son, attending backwoods shooting sessions and joyriding a couch tied to the back of a truck. At first, the film reads as an affectionate portrait of a particular flavor of blue-collar whiteness. Then one night at the supermarket, a black man in line smiles at the son, and when the white father sees this, suddenly his Nazi tattoos become clearer. He fires off a racial slur, and the two men exchange words. The father and his Nazi gang then brutally beat the black man nearly to death in the parking lot as his own wife and young son watch, screaming, in a nearby car.

Aside from its cavalier brutality, Skin is, at this point, a familiar but effective story of how racist violence lurks barely below the domestic surfaces of white America. Then this happens: Some time later, the Nazi father falls for a trap in the road and, as his son looks on, is kidnapped and thrown in the back of a van. He’s brought to a garage, where a group of black men—pointedly including a young boy—cut off his clothes and hook him up to an IV. Hmm, we think, not going to end well for the Nazi. Then one of the men fires up a tattoo needle. After a long, creepily lit tattoo session, the group dumps the Nazi in the street, and we realize—as he does—that they have tattooed his entire body so he appears to be dark-skinned. How about that, Nazi guy? The man then goes to his house, where his young son shoots him dead. The camera lingers on the son holding a rifle; he looks scared, but also satisfied with himself, not unlike this film. The end.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o1JOhK71CLI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Do I need to say more? Do I need to point out the film’s bizarre equation of a Nazi gang with … like, all local black people, bent on tribal racial revenge? Do I need to tease out the actual implications of its big reveal? (Hey, Nazis, did you know you’re a little pigment away from being black??) Do I need to note, again, its lurid obsession with dwelling on the children in the thick of the violence, for a cheap lesson about how racism is learned? Does anyone but Academy members need me to explain how deeply deranged this premise is? Look at the poster for Skin, and you already get a pretty good idea of its crude politics and how unembarrassed and manipulative it is in playing them out. If Green Book’s Best Picture win shows an Academy eager to glad-hand a movie that flatters its “Friendship sees no color!” pretentions, Skin’s win represents the ugly flipside of those sentiments, suggesting the membership is happy to accept that racist hate violence is actually a cycle perpetrated from many directions and passed down to children on “both sides.”

As he took the stage to accept the award, Guy Nattiv, the film’s Israeli director, evoked Holocaust survivors in his family and said “we” see bigotry every day “in America and Europe.” “This film is about education. It’s about teaching your kids a better way,” he said, before his producing partner and wife, Jaime Ray Newman, addressing their young child, added, “We hope you grow up in a world where these things don’t happen, because people learn to love each other.” Ah yes, “these things,” done by “people”! The couple did not thank the Academy, but I would like to, on behalf of everyone who endured Skin because of its endorsement, for the pure dose of clarifying rage its win brought on Sunday night. It was a bracing reminder of how very easy it is to hoodwink this voting body. We hardly needed to wait until Best Picture for that.

Jaime Ray Newman

Old 02-27-19, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Jaime Ray Newman
I thought she looked like The Joker at the Oscars. WAY too much makeup.
Old 02-27-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Jaime Ray Newman
Is she the actress that was in The Punisher season one? I thought she looked kind of familiar.

Old 02-27-19, 08:27 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Is she the actress that was in The Punisher season one? I thought she looked kind of familiar.
Yes.
Old 02-27-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Not only that but since it was Krysten Ritter giving out that award it was one Veronica Mars cast member giving an Oscar to another one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.