Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

BREAKING NEWS: Movies sometimes contain minor inaccuracies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

BREAKING NEWS: Movies sometimes contain minor inaccuracies

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Movies sometimes contain minor inaccuracies

I believe everything I see in movies at TV.
Old 02-20-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Agree, the movie he praises SPR he wasn't even alive for when the real events took place so he has no basis to say it was "technically incorrect" unless he studied the battle plans. I was in the military as well and you learn to ignore the technical aspects of the movies. I will admit it was hard at first however. But not watching a movie because someone holds a handgun or rifle wrong? Please. That still does drive me nuts however....
Agreed. I like to read about movie mistakes and get a kick out of when camera equipment or funny bloopers are found in movies. But I hate when I read about mistakes for a movie listing things like the wrong model military tank used in a scene or a car in the background was made a year after the movie was set it just makes me roll my eyes. Just chill out and enjoy the damn movie.

That being said, after I took firearms training for law enforcement, it drives me crazy when I see some sort of elite military soldier character running around with his finger in the trigger.
Old 02-20-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Didn't SPR show the Germans using tanks that hadn't been created yet?
Old 02-20-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I have a friend that was involved in the actual Black Hawk Down fiasco. He said the movie took a LOT of artistic liberties.
Old 02-21-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
T34s mocked up to look like Tigers.
At least Fury used a real one, Tiger 131
Old 02-22-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Yeah we Radio people love "WKRP in Cincinnati" but laugh at the "made for tv reasons" studio situation. ie..in a real studio the room goes silent when you turn the mic on. But on that show they are talking and you can hear the music which would mean they would need headphones. They didn't always shave headphones.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-22-19 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-22-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

You mean to tell me that car doors and filing cabinets are NOT bulletproof like TV and movies would make us believe???
Old 02-22-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
This is true of anything. Have you ever watched a movie that features your profession that was accurate? Yet we assume they are getting it right for other professions.
I'm still pissed that Kubrick spilled the beans and showed the world how we doctors all have a special Physician ID card that allows us to access any location in the city.
Old 02-22-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My favorite is when a character shoots a lock or keypad and a door opens...or it won't open anymore. It always depends on what the story calls for.
Old 02-22-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm still pissed that Kubrick spilled the beans and showed the world how we doctors all have a special Physician ID card that allows us to access any location in the city.
When I was a kid, Mad magazine would talk about MD license plates that would allow you to park anywhere anytime in New York City. Don't they have those in Las Vegas?

Actually, I thought Tom Cruise getting anything he wanted by saying, "It's okay, I'm a doctor" was one of the best running jokes I've ever seen. I think it's funny as hell.
Old 02-22-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who decided that a stun gun knocks people out?
Old 02-22-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
But does your ID card work like that in your dreams?
Old 02-22-19, 06:26 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Still not as obviously noticeable as when The Hurt Locker references YouTube, years before it existed.
Old 02-22-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah we Radio people love "WKRP in Cincinnati" but laugh at the "made for tv reasons" studio situation. ie..in a real studio the room goes silent when you turn the mic on. But on that show they are talking and you can hear the music which would mean they would need headphones. They didn't always shave headphones.
It would be a major inaccuracy if they were shaving headphones. That's just weird, man.

Old 02-22-19, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
It would be a major inaccuracy if they were shaving headphones. That's just weird, man.

Everything in the '70s was hairy.
Old 02-23-19, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I'll never forget when I was watching some CW show and the "hacker" was remarking about "military-grade encryption" and the screen showed a C# case statement.
Old 02-23-19, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's why I really like documentaries or commentaries to go along with historical dramas like that. You have to know things are done to look good on the screen or hold viewer interest that are not technically accurate. With the exception of docudramas which are claiming to be as accurate as possible, you have to know there is a lot of artistic license going on. I remember when American Sniper came out there was a heated discussion about the accuracy of the story. Really? A guy writes a book about himself. Exaggeration. They make a movie about the book. Artistic license. And you're surprised that there were liberties taken? Why did you watch it? Just so you could trash it? Remember the martial arts movies? 10 guys attack our hero but all politely wait their turn to fight so it's really one at a time.

Old 02-23-19, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

I think it was Conan O'Brian who asked Chuck Norris why the bad guys attacked him one at a time. Chuck said, "If they all came at once they'd kick my ass!"
Old 02-23-19, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

History Buffs on YouTube is a fun channel with some good comparisons.

Note: The only thing true about Braveheart was the name of the people. There really was a William Wallace (who never wore a kilt) There really was a Robert The Bruce. I saw his statue in Scotland (he never met Wallace) There really was s Princes Isabelle (she was about 9 at the time) Entertaining movie but a total work of fiction.

We've had threads way back dedicated to these mistakes. I just don't remember what they were called to search for them.
Old 02-23-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I don't think the general public care about 100% historical accuracies. It's a movie.
Old 02-23-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I don't think the general public care about 100% historical accuracies. It's a movie.
ARGO was an entertaining movie but had huge artistic liberties taken including the final act. Not to mention the complete omission of the countries that assisted us
Lone Survivor entertained but also had an entirely made up 3rd act
American Sniper - was based off a book a by the guy then made into a movie. By nature we see things differently through our eyes than from afar. When we describe ourselves in a book it will most likely be in a shining light. The movie will further enhance the exaggeration. The movie included a villain that wasn't there in real life.

At least in the case of these war movies many of the complaints are from people already biased to dislike the military or dislike war movies. The complaint about jingoism is common. If you've ever heard a group of military guys talk, that's how they talk. If you want a documentary, watch a documentary. If you are going to movie only to complain about how they talk or how things didn't match real life, don't go.

The sword the guy carries wasn't invented until 10 years after this takes place. Big deal. It represents a weapon he carried. I'm far more bothered by the 12 shot revolver or any gun that never runs out of bullets.
Old 02-23-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At least we can all agree that U-571 was completely accurate.
Old 02-23-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
At least we can all agree that U-571 was completely accurate.
Yup and Escape from New York.
Old 02-23-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Even though I absolutely love the fuck out of that movie, Braveheart is possibly the most egregious example of this. My favorite teacher in high school was a brilliant man, an English teacher but could have also schooled any history teacher in that building. One day, sick of hearing us gush over the movie, he finally laid out all the inconsistencies. Probably spent half the class period doing it.
Old 02-23-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I just watched a John Wayne western, THE COMANCHEROS (1961), set in Texas in 1843. There's a duel at the very beginning, in which co-star Stuart Whitman participates, and the dueling pistols are the last accurate weapons we see in the movie. In every other scene, they've got six-shooters and repeating rifles, years before they were invented and decades before they were available out west. If they had just set the movie 30-40 years later, none of this would have been a problem. Of course, if the Duke had to fight the Comanches with single-shot rifles and pistols, the movie would have been an hour longer and in all likelihood he would have been killed by an arrow during his loading time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.