Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

BREAKING NEWS: Movies sometimes contain minor inaccuracies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

BREAKING NEWS: Movies sometimes contain minor inaccuracies

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-19, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Movies sometimes contain minor inaccuracies

Even Band Of Brothers which is one of my all times favorites took many liberties in spite of it being a docu-series. Hanks admitted that characters were condensed and timelines changed to get things in. I've read the book several times.

One thing I will give them. People can have vastly different interpretations or opinions about what happened at an event based on the point of view. I imagine that must be x10 in the heat of battle. Two people can be 50 yards apart and experience two different outcomes. Then when describing their own actions, they will always describe in the best possible light. So trying to get an accurate reproduction is impossible. You'll always have variances even when trying to be historically accurate.
Old 02-24-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

I think Patriots Day is a very good movie and afterwards, I wanted to read up on Mark Wahlberg’s portrayal of his character. Who was the real life hero?

Then I found out his character is a condensed version of several law enforcement heroes.

Old 02-24-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

My favorite TV news mistakes I see in movies are when a reporter suddenly “goes live”. Until relatively recently, going live meant parking a giant van, raising a 40 foot mast, tuning it into a tower, running a 100 foot cable to a live location, getting the camera and talent all set, checking the signal, waiting around and then finally going live. I’ve seen movies where reporters get out of a car with a photographer and they are instantly “live”.

Even now there are backpack systems that do allow reporters to go live from anywhere you can get a cell signal (we’ve gone live on amusement park rides and in driving cars) but even that technology has a 4-7 second delay and is spotty at times too.

I also laugh when reporters are doing stand ups next to crime tape with an active scene complete with a dead body behind them. Sure, it’s dramatic, but cops keep reporters as far away as possible from those scenes and if a body is still there for some reason, they have special screens they put up to hide it. I’m surprised I’ve never once seen those on TV or in the movies.

They also usually clear those bodies quick. In two years of 40+ hours a week of being a news photographer, I only saw a body maybe 3 times at the most.
Old 02-24-19, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

Every laboratory scene nowadays has a 500 liter dewar in the background. I suppose it's there just in case the forensics tech needs a couple dozen gallons of liquid nitrogen. It doesn't make any more sense than the rack of random glassware that was in every laboratory scene in 50's movies.