DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Nine Men From Now (D: Schrader) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646841-nine-men-now-d-schrader.html)

dex14 02-17-19 03:09 PM

Nine Men From Now (D: Schrader)

Paul Schrader has been making movies for over 40 years, and at 72, has no plans to slow down. Just a few weeks after securing his first Oscar nomination for “First Reformed,” the veteran filmmaker has started talking up his next project, “Nine Men From Now.” At his final Q&A for Oscar season, following a New York screening for Academy members moderated by this writer, Schrader said he had secured financing for the project and planned to shoot it this summer. He put his vision for the Western project in rather colorful terms.

“Basically, if you took a script from 1956 that Budd Boetticher made with Randolph Scott, and you asked Terry Malick and David Lynch to come in and take a shit on the script, you would have the movie I’m making,” he said.

The Boetticher project in question, “7 Men from Now,” starred Scott as Ben Stride as a lawman tracking down the seven men responsible for a lethal robbery, but Schrader explained in an interview with Deadline that he has envisioned the scenario in more high-concept terms: Scott’s character and the story’s main antagonist would be played by two actors who switch roles halfway through. “So, all of a sudden, nobody in the story actually knows it, but all of a sudden they are playing the opposite roles,” Schrader said at the time.

Schrader first conceived of the script over 20 years ago, according to records at the University of Texas at Austin. Though he had originally envisioned the roles to go to “First Reformed” star Ethan Hawke and regular Schrader collaborator Willem Dafoe, Hawke is no longer attached to the project, which Schrader described at his Q&A as “a neo-meta western.” Both the shooting schedule and distribution plans have yet to be finalized for the project, but Schrader is in a good position to jump into his next project on the heels of his Original Screenplay Oscar nomination for “First Reformed,” which grossed $3.8 million at the box office and won him new fans. It also gave Schrader his opportunity to finally make a movie in the “transcendental style” of filmmaking that he wrote about in a book first published in 1972 (and reissued last year). For “Nine Men From Now,” he seems intent on continuing to deconstruct film history through his own narrative techniques.

For now, however, he’s ready to put “First Reformed” behind him. “Welcome to the last picture show,” he told the audience at his final Q&A. “Independent film can have a very short life, sometimes as little as three or four days. We are now at the end of the 16-month life of this film, in one form or another, being a part of the public conversation. It’ll all come to an end in another week or so. I’ve been pulling this stone behind me for a long time. I’m ready to move on.”
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/pa...ch-1202044213/

GoldenJCJ 02-17-19 04:05 PM

Re: Nine Men From Now (D: Schrader)

First Reformed was very good. I look forward to this one. The plot synopsis sort of reminds me of Hell or High Water with a Shrader touch. I’m down.

Why So Blu? 02-17-19 05:12 PM

You know I'm down!

inri222 02-17-19 05:16 PM

I'm always down for Paul Schrader as long as there is no studio interference and they let the man do his thing.

First Reformed was excellent. Even though Dog Eat Dog has its haters, I loved it. A solid performance from Willem Dafoe and a good crazy ass Nic Cage.

Greg MacGuffin 02-17-19 11:48 PM

Sounds pretty wild. I am a big Budd Boetticher fan and 7 Men from Now is one of my favorite westerns. In fact, I think I first heard mention of it while reading a Schrader interview almost 20 years ago. That opening scene is a classic.

Geofferson 02-18-19 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin (Post 13502433)
Sounds pretty wild. I am a big Budd Boetticher fan and 7 Men from Now is one of my favorite westerns. In fact, I think I first heard mention of it while reading a Schrader interview almost 20 years ago. That opening scene is a classic.

Yes, same to all you said. Boetticher's a favorite of mine (as is Randolph Scott). I remember hearing of this as well waaay back - was likely via that same interview. Glad to hear it's finally getting some legs.

Crocker Jarmen 02-18-19 04:35 PM

Had to double-check, because I couldn't believe Schrader never had an Oscar nomination before now. Would have thought he'd had one or two, if not for Taxi Driver or Raging Bull, maybe Affliction, even Last Tempatation Christ!