Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-19, 11:44 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

I really enjoyed this. I thought it was touching and fun, and the music was great, of course. I loved all of the scenes with Ed Sheeran.
Old 07-06-19, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

I was surprised they used I Saw Her Standing There. An adult man singing about a 17 year old girl would probably go over like a lead balloon these days. Not an indictment of the song, but it's definitely of it's time. Certainly there were plenty of other songs to pick from.

As for the movie, it would be difficult to make a bad film featuring a lot of Beatles songs and starring Lily James. Still, a movie featuring a lot of Beatles songs and starring Lily James should be a great film, and this one isn't.
Old 07-09-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw this Friday night by myself in a mostly empty theater and loved it. You really regain your appreciation for Beatles’ music as the movie goes on. Ended up staying thru the credits just to listen to Hey Jude played at that volume. I liked that it really happened in the movie’s universe didn’t end up being all in his head while he was ina coma. I liked that there wasn’t an overtly fantastical element to the whole event. It’s just something that happened in the world. The bits where he keeps on discovering stuff that doesn’t exist anymore was a good running joke. I almost wished I lived in it until the end when they revealed one other thing that wasn’t there anymore. I wish there was more explanation why there were only 2 people—that we’re shown at least—that remember the Beatles, but their conversation with him in the holding room after the concert was played out.

The “cameo” towards the end surprised me. I thought it was going to be the other one but I liked what they did with it. I probably would have had the same reaction. Lily James was great and almost steals the show.
Old 07-09-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I saw it opening day and enjoyed it. It really didn't go anywhere outside of what I expected but it was still enjoyable. I did like the ending a lot. The music lives on.

Did not care for McKinnon in this. WAY too far over the top.

Side note - I could stare at Lily James all day.

I've heard each Beatles song hundreds and hundreds of times but hearing them here with just Patel on a guitar or piano made me appreciate the lyrics even more. Those boys knew what they were doing.
Old 08-19-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I saw this over the weekend. Everyone in the theater gasped when
Spoiler:
the main character visited John Lennon and he was alive and well.
I'll admit I got emotional when that scene happened. The ending was just ok and predictable. Worth a watch, especially if you're a Beatles fan.
Old 09-11-19, 11:15 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Now that this movie has hit "home video", I watched it last night with my wife. I don't really care for the Beatles and their music, but my mother-in-law loves them and so my wife grew up with it playing in the house.

I really liked the movie... quite a lot in fact.

Except for Kate McKinnon, she ruined every scene she was in. EVER. SINGLE. SCENE. (Note: I don't like her on SNL either.)

Old 09-11-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked it a lot, also. I also like how it made you think about what else was missing; especially with a couple of billion dollar products that are so commonplace. Health insurance comes to mind, also.
Old 09-11-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I saw it in a second-run theater a couple weeks ago and generally liked it, though the general concept and personal relationships made for some awkward and uncomfortable moments. I like Richard Curtis, the Beatles, and Lily James, so it was kind of a no-brainer to see, and I liked the different takes on the music. A friend said she hated Ed Sheeran in it, but I thought he was funny.
Old 09-15-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this earlier today.

Very sweet film. Well cast. Always great to hear The Beatles.
Old 09-15-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
. I don't really care for the Beatles and their music, b)

Old 09-15-19, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

I enjoyed this movie well enough (you're not gonna go too far wrong with that great music) but the premise was too fucking outrageous for me to "suspend my disbelief."

Spoiler:
We're supposed to believe that a woman who looks like Lily James was gonna carry a torch for this dude for a decade, AND that he NEVER was attracted to her!?!?!?!?

Old 09-30-19, 05:33 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice charming fun feelgood movie

Not perfect but well worth watching
Old 09-30-19, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 349 Posts

Well, I never did see it in the theater, but bought it Tuesday when it came out - and watched it right away. Really enjoyed it for how it handled the music and story. Glad it ended the way it did since I was assuming a Hollywood ending of it being a dream or some other contrivance.

Kept thinking I'd seen the guy playing Rocky somewhere, but couldn't place him. So I IMDB'd him. He was on Game of Thrones!
Old 10-18-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Probably in the top 5 for movies that came out in 2019.

Shocked this has a 62% score at Rotten Tomatoes though the audience score is 89%.

I am in the minority and liked Kate McKinnon in the movie.

Wish Lily James kept the blonde hair. Usually when a hot white blonde actress does a movie with a Indian or Middle Eastern dude they change their hair color.

Surprised Jack did not pretend he wrote Wonderwall too

Spoiler:
If there is no proof the Beatles existed how could anybody fact check about their existence after Jack Malik revealed the truth near the end of the movie?
Old 10-18-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

They couldn’t. My guess is that most of the world would not believe him and will insist he wrote all of the songs and he made up these personas to mysterious or artsy.
Old 10-19-19, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

at Rocky being there the entire time during the montage with the main guy starting a family

Fun movie
Old 10-19-19, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I enjoyed this movie well enough (you're not gonna go too far wrong with that great music) but the premise was too fucking outrageous for me to "suspend my disbelief."

Spoiler:
We're supposed to believe that a woman who looks like Lily James was gonna carry a torch for this dude for a decade, AND that he NEVER was attracted to her!?!?!?!?

I know I’m late to the party, but
Old 10-19-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is a movie and maybe he has some sex appeal or charm or she would not have done the movie.
Old 10-21-19, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

After watching the Blu-ray and the extra/alternate scenes, I have to say I like the alternate ending better.

Spoiler:
I think it was a more interesting twist, after showing Jack through the whole movie apparently being the only one who remembers various things (The Beatles, Coca-Cola, cigarettes), to briefly show that there's something that only Ellie seems to remember (Harry Potter). It kind of opens up a whole other potential story from her perspective, but then shrugs it off when she says "never mind" and closes the curtains. With Jack mentioning Harry Potter, it just adds it to the list of all the other things only he seems to be privy to, and it doesn't have the same impact. Just my opinion.
Old 10-23-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

If anyone cares to delve at all into the WHY and HOW behind the story, a concept worth looking up is quantum immortality. It basically states that when a person dies their consciousness is transferred to the next closest parallel reality. It will mostly be the same, but over time you’ll notice little things that are different. My take on the movie is that he actually died when the bus hit him.
OTOH, it doesn’t account for how the power went out all over the world. I feel like the writers were aware of quantum immortality theory, but wanted to leave it vague, so the power outage was written to muddy the waters a bit.
Old 10-23-19, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched one of the deleted scenes and Ana De Armas was the guest during the James Corden segment and it looked like she was into him.

Old 10-24-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

Except for Kate McKinnon, she ruined every scene she was in. EVER. SINGLE. SCENE. (Note: I don't like her on SNL either.)
I like Kate on SNL but she is shit in this movie (or any movie Ive seen her in thus far.). I also really did not care for the spoiler that people mention above with a unexpected cameo. It totally makes sense in the context of the movie but kind of made me sad to see the scene and Imagine that it occurred.
Old 10-24-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought McKinnon was fine.

Kinda bummed that they don’t offer the bonus features on the digital version.
Old 10-28-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I rented this on Google Play and watched it last night.

Wonderful movie. Just charming with a very likable lead and it was nice way to use the Beatles classics. And man, Lily James was so adorable.

I was surprised that the whole fantasy element of the world wasn't redacted and Jack came back to the world he left. But, it was a nice way to end it with him happy and getting the girl.

I did think it was funny how it wasn't just the Beatles and Coca-Cola, Oasis and Cigarettes didn't exist in this new world.
Old 11-28-19, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Just rented this movie with the family tonight (mom was a Beatlemaniac back in the day, and my daughter loves them as well so 3 generations of fans...amazing). What a fantastic delight. Just an all around feel good movie. I loved every minute of it. I'm curious why critics have a stick up their ass about this one... but on the other hand I don't want to know.

I love that they didn't really explain the event or come up with some other contrived ending (coma). The Blackout was just a macguffin and I loved the movie more because of it. Patel was amazing and has a fantastic voice. Lily James was great, I've never seen her before. She reminded me a lot of Milana Vayntrub. Kate MiKinnon was the weakest link but I didn't have a problem with her like everyone else.

I liked the surprise "cameo" near the end and it really makes sense:
Spoiler:
If the Beatles never existed and became famous John would never have been shot. Googling, it sounds like Boyle had planned on three more cameos with the other Beatles but decided this was the more powerful scene and left it at that. Probably a good call.

I dug Across the Universe, but this film was on another level. Easily my favorite of the year.

Originally Posted by davidh777

Kinda bummed that they don’t offer the bonus features on the digital version.
Yeah, that's a bummer. I was wanting to dive more into this universe and get some behind the scenes info.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.