Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney wants to revisit The Nightmare Before Christmas

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-10-19, 10:48 AM

In 1993, the Tim Burton-produced The Nightmare Before Christmas opened just before Halloween and quietly ran just through the first weekend of December. It performed well, but by no means was a massive success story.

Directed by Henry Selick, the stop-motion animated film featured the voice of Fright Night‘s Chris Sarandon as Jack Skellington, king of Halloween Town, who discovers Christmas Town, but his attempts to bring Christmas to his home causes confusion.

Nightmare has since become a pop culture phenomenon with Disney celebrating the film with several re-releases, a massive array of products, and even a dark ride at Disney Land (every year, they redress “Haunted Mansion” with that of characters and scenes from the film). It’s actually kind of surprising that a sequel has yet to come into fruition.

Moviehole, who I assure you has reliable and solid sources, reports that there’s talk at Disney to “do something with Nightmare Before Christmas – probably a sequel but live-action possible.” Excuse me while I do a double take.

Disney has been digging deep into their toy chest with “live-action” remakes of Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Aladdin and Dumbo, the latter which once again has them romancing with Tim Burton. It’s not at all surprising to hear that Nightmare is one title they’re discussing, although it probably makes more sense to revisit the title with animation as opposed to doing it faux live-action (like Lion King). The Mouse won’t leave money on the table, so I expect more on this in the coming months.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...lfSZjKq6sYTxXg

Last edited by dex14; 02-10-19 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-10-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Disney wants to revisit The Nightmare Before Christmas

Fat, emo girls everywhere just creamed themselves.

I don’t love the original as much as others but it’s one of the better stop-motion animation films out there. I’d probably watch a sequel.

A love action remake, on the other hand, I might have to watch for the car crash factor.
Old 02-10-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not a fat emo girl but I love the the Nightmare Before Christmas. I also don't want or need a sequel. If they did do a sequel or live action version the characters would probably rap the songs.
Old 02-10-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nope. Stop motion was the key to making this unique. Needs no remake.
Old 02-10-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nightmare Before Christmas was awesome. Love the movie, and definitely one of my favorite Burton films.
Also loved the inclusion of the movie into Kingdom Hearts II back in the day.
Old 02-10-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my favorite movies of all time. In fact I took the whole family to the symphony when they played the soundtrack to the movie and it was pretty amazing. All that being said, I don't think they could do anything to top the first movie, so just leave it alone.
Old 02-11-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They kind of set up an opening for a sequel (sequels?) in that forest scene with all those trees with the doors that had symbols representing the various holidays on them. TNBC is one of my favorite animated flicks. I'd be ok with a follow-up. It would be a bit difficult though... rehashing the original story by having Jack try to take over another holiday wouldn't fly.

About the only thing they could do would be to spin the idea and have some character from a second-rate holiday (Valentine's) try to take over Jack's Halloween land.

Of course, Santa was a mite peeved with Jack at the end of TNBC. Maybe Santa could go for some payback and try to take over Halloween land.
Old 02-11-19, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Disney are a bunch of fucking scavengers. Just rummaging through looking for ANYTHING they could viably wring a few dollars out of.
Old 02-11-19, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Disney are a bunch of fucking scavengers. Just rummaging through looking for ANYTHING they could viably wring a few dollars out of.
While I totally agree with you, they've done a pretty good job with it so far. However, I don't think this should really be touched at all. It couldn't be a live action movie and a sequel would feel really cheap I think.

Thought this was pretty funny. Maybe Tim Burton will actually have something to do with it this time if they make a sequel.

Old 02-11-19, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 02-11-19, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
They sure are...they release about 5 reboots for every 1 original film these days - Walt would NOT be pleased.
Old 02-11-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno View Post
Nope. Stop motion was the key to making this unique. Needs no remake.

Exactly. The choice to use stop motion was so the film would mimic the Rankin/Bass style holiday specials. To ponder making it in another medium is to reveal you don’t understand anything about the film.

I hope they make it. A “live action” version of this film would probably finally wake people up to what a stupid idea live action remakes of beautiful animated films is.

Old 02-11-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jesus, nothing is sacred anymore. I almost used JackSkellington as my user name back in the day but some young wiper snapper got it... one of my favorite movies and I can't see a live action being enjoyable. That said my wife and I have always said Lance Reddick would make a fabulous Jack...