Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Haunting of Sharon Tate (2019, D: Farrands) S: Hilary Duff

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-04-19, 06:44 PM

Saban Films has released the first trailer to The Haunting of Sharon Tate, the psychological horror film which has Younger star Hilary Duff making her big screen comeback as actress Sharon Tate, the actress and wife to filmmaker Roman Polanski who was brutally stabbed to death at the hands of the Manson Family while she was eight-and-a-half months pregnant with their child.

Written and directed by Daniel Farrands (Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, The Haunting in Connecticut), the film focuses on the last days leading up to Tate’s murder from her point of view. The plot is inspired by an actual quote from the Golden Globe-nominated Valley of the Dolls star, from an interview published a year before her death, wherein she reveals having dreams about ghosts haunting her house and foreseeing her own death at the hands of a satanic cult.

Jonathan Bennett (Mean Girls, Cake Wars) and Lydia Hearst (Z Nation, South of Hell) co-star.

The pic will be available in theaters and on demand April 5, just a few months shy of the 50-year mark since Tate’s murder.
Old 02-04-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Haunting of Sharon Tate (2019, D: Farrands) S: Hilary Duff

This instantly became my second-most anticipated movie about Sharon Tate in 2019!
Old 02-04-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has Hilary Duff done any serious type roles like this?
Old 02-05-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had the displeasure of working on the second film in this "series", the one about Nicole Brown Simpson that they can't seem to sell because - SHOCKER - no one wants to touch a film exploiting her life and death. I'll just say the producers on these films are massive pieces of shit.

The third film planned was "The Haunting of Princess Diana" but, wouldn't you know it, they couldn't find any investor interest.
Old 02-05-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This does seem ghoulish and reprehensible in multiple ways. Guess this is what we get in this era of renewed fascination with true-crime podcasts and the like.
Old 02-05-19, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
This does seem ghoulish and reprehensible in multiple ways. Guess this is what we get in this era of renewed fascination with true-crime podcasts and the like.
I'm pretty sure movies based on real-life crimes have existed pretty much since the beginning of cinema.
Old 02-05-19, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Has Hilary Duff done any serious type roles like this?
All I know about her is she does Younger on TVLand.
Old 02-06-19, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I'm pretty sure movies based on real-life crimes have existed pretty much since the beginning of cinema.
True, but they're coming at a much faster clip over the past few decade or so because the market's gotten bigger (albeit far more fragmented) and nothing is considered off limits anymore -- maybe rightfully so, I don't know -- and of course some folks just have to make movies in that glutted marketplace regardless, so anything that generates "controversy" is an absolute must to stand out. And the general interest in true crime is higher than ever right (and yes, I know there's always been a fascination with true crime, too). Still, if this wasn't being released ahead of Tarantino's film and didn't have the Tate "character" in it, and was instead about some random girl having visions of death, from the evidence in the trailer it would probably go direct to video. Of course, that might happen anyway and I'm sure the director would be cool with it.
Old 04-02-19, 09:42 AM

This will be up On Demand on Friday. A few reviews out: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the...of_sharon_tate