Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?
Yes
57.14%
No
42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-19, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Obviously this is the infamous unreleased version. I remember reading about it all the time in comic book magazines of the day, and it seemed like within a couple of months I went from reading about it coming out and seeing promo pics to reading about it not being released and about how it was never supposed to be. I months later read in those some comic magazines how a trailer was made and was attached to VHS tapes of Corman's Carnosaur and I watched the trailer and was disappointed that it was never going to be released because it was "too bad to be released" or so the rumors said.

Fast forward about a decade later and I started seeing the bootleg copies of it in comic conventions. Combine that with the release of the documentary Doomed! The Untold story of Roger Corman's Fantastic Four and I finally watched it on YouTube all these years later. And you know what, it isn't that bad. It's cornball and low budget but the cast is good and it's pretty faithful to the Kirby/Lee comics and way more enjoyable than the Fox movies.. I'm curious how many people have actually seen it now that it's so easy to find a copy of it in some capacity.
Old 02-02-19, 09:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

I sorta like them all to be honest, but Corman’s is the best of the four FF films.
Old 02-02-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

It isn’t that bad for what it is in my opinion. It feels the most like the Fantastic Four of any of the films that have come out. It’s definitely low budget and it shows, but yet it has that Roger Corman charm to it. It actually feels like the people involved tried making a decent movie.
Old 02-02-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Nope. Don't really care about it either.
Old 02-02-19, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
It isn’t that bad for what it is in my opinion. It feels the most like the Fantastic Four of any of the films that have come out. It’s definitely low budget and it shows, but yet it has that Roger Corman charm to it. It actually feels like the people involved tried making a decent movie.
I believe that very few people — almost none of the ones actually working on the production — knew that it wasn’t intended to see the light of day. Those involved thought it was an honest production and were putting in good work.

I’ve never seen it, but knowing it is on YouTube now ... I will give it a shot in the near future.
Old 02-02-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

It’s a terrible movie, but somehow still the best FF movie.
Old 02-02-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I sorta like them all to be honest, but Corman’s is the best of the four FF films.
That tell you something about the other FF films.

and honestly, the films are so forgettable I had to google them when I read your post about 4 FF movies. I was going to call you out for miscounting the 3 movies.
Old 02-02-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

https://doomedfilms.bigcartel.com/pr...-free-shipping

Unofficial Blu-Ray for $9 re-mastered by the Producers of Doomed: The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four.

Also includes an audio commentary from the director.
Old 02-02-19, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

I believe that very few people — almost none of the ones actually working on the production — knew that it wasn’t intended to see the light of day. Those involved thought it was an honest production and were putting in good work.

I’ve never seen it, but knowing it is on YouTube now ... I will give it a shot in the near future.
I was just going to ask if there was a legit way to see this. Thanks I have always wanted to see it.
Old 02-02-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://doomedfilms.bigcartel.com/pr...-free-shipping

Unofficial Blu-Ray for $9 re-mastered by the Producers of Doomed: The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four.

Also includes an audio commentary from the director.
I didn’t realize this was out. Might have to get that eventually.
Old 02-02-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk God

This BD sounds like the closest thing we'll get to a legitimate release of the movie.

Here's their description of what they did to remaster it for HD

This authored copy of FF was created using the best quality SD version of the film we could find. We up-rez'd it to 1080p HD and tweaked the video levels to broadcast legal. Please note, however, that it is of sub-DVD/1st Gen VHS quality. But until it gets a legit release, this is the best quality version out there.

Includes a scene specific audio commentary by FF director, Oley Sassone. And a gorgeous 35mm-sourced trailer.
Old 02-02-19, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

This BD sounds like the closest thing we'll get to a legitimate release of the movie.
But how is it legal?
Old 02-02-19, 06:10 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Old 02-02-19, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DWilson
But how is it legal?
The bootleg is widely available and can be purchased at many Comic shows around the country. I guess this movie is sort of getting a pass and slipped under the rug because no major studio wants to release a legitimate copy.

These guys aren't scammers. they are small Indie filmmakers. They produced the legitimate documentary on the making of the movie, which they financed and crowd sourced. I bought the BD of their documentary last year after renting it on Amazon.

Hell, Roger Corman was interviewed in their film. He probably doesn't care. And I doubt Marvel cares either. They have more important things to worry about than a $1M cheapo movie that never got released.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-02-19 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-02-19, 06:14 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

FYI - The Doomed doc is available on Prime, Vudu with ads, and Sundance Now.
Old 02-02-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Watched it a while back on youtube. It wasn’t exactly a good movie, but it was mostly true to the source material and the quality was in line with the early 90s Captain America movie.

If anyone hasn’t seen it, it’s still up on youtube.

Old 02-02-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

That has to be the voice of Peter Cullen narrating the trailer. Sounds just like him.
Old 02-02-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The bootleg is widely available and can be purchased at many Comic shows around the country. I guess this movie is sort of getting a pass and slipped under the rug because no major studio wants to release a legitimate copy.

These guys aren't scammers. they are small Indie filmmakers. They produced the legitimate documentary on the making of the movie, which they financed and crowd sourced. I bought the BD of their documentary last year after renting it on Amazon.

Hell, Roger Corman was interviewed in their film. He probably doesn't care. And I doubt Marvel cares either. They have more important things to worry about than a $1M cheapo movie that never got released.
Corman was just a gun for hire on the film. He definitely doesn’t care, because he’s got no skin in the game.