Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?
Yes
8
57.14%
No
6
42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

Old 02-02-19, 07:57 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,399
Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?


Obviously this is the infamous unreleased version. I remember reading about it all the time in comic book magazines of the day, and it seemed like within a couple of months I went from reading about it coming out and seeing promo pics to reading about it not being released and about how it was never supposed to be. I months later read in those some comic magazines how a trailer was made and was attached to VHS tapes of Corman's Carnosaur and I watched the trailer and was disappointed that it was never going to be released because it was "too bad to be released" or so the rumors said.

Fast forward about a decade later and I started seeing the bootleg copies of it in comic conventions. Combine that with the release of the documentary Doomed! The Untold story of Roger Corman's Fantastic Four and I finally watched it on YouTube all these years later. And you know what, it isn't that bad. It's cornball and low budget but the cast is good and it's pretty faithful to the Kirby/Lee comics and way more enjoyable than the Fox movies.. I'm curious how many people have actually seen it now that it's so easy to find a copy of it in some capacity.
robin2099 is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 09:26 AM
  #2  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,167
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

I sorta like them all to be honest, but Corman’s is the best of the four FF films.
Trevor is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 10:01 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,699
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

It isnít that bad for what it is in my opinion. It feels the most like the Fantastic Four of any of the films that have come out. Itís definitely low budget and it shows, but yet it has that Roger Corman charm to it. It actually feels like the people involved tried making a decent movie.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 10:23 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

Nope. Don't really care about it either.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 11:00 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,009
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
It isnít that bad for what it is in my opinion. It feels the most like the Fantastic Four of any of the films that have come out. Itís definitely low budget and it shows, but yet it has that Roger Corman charm to it. It actually feels like the people involved tried making a decent movie.
I believe that very few people ó almost none of the ones actually working on the production ó knew that it wasnít intended to see the light of day. Those involved thought it was an honest production and were putting in good work.

Iíve never seen it, but knowing it is on YouTube now ... I will give it a shot in the near future.
Abob Teff is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 11:18 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,732
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

It’s a terrible movie, but somehow still the best FF movie.
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 11:19 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 13,174
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I sorta like them all to be honest, but Cormanís is the best of the four FF films.
That tell you something about the other FF films.

and honestly, the films are so forgettable I had to google them when I read your post about 4 FF movies. I was going to call you out for miscounting the 3 movies.
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 02:25 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 54,204
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

https://doomedfilms.bigcartel.com/pr...-free-shipping

Unofficial Blu-Ray for $9 re-mastered by the Producers of Doomed: The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four.

Also includes an audio commentary from the director.
DJariya is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 04:11 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,392
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post


I believe that very few people ó almost none of the ones actually working on the production ó knew that it wasnít intended to see the light of day. Those involved thought it was an honest production and were putting in good work.

Iíve never seen it, but knowing it is on YouTube now ... I will give it a shot in the near future.
I was just going to ask if there was a legit way to see this. Thanks I have always wanted to see it.
d2cheer is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 04:43 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,699
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
https://doomedfilms.bigcartel.com/pr...-free-shipping

Unofficial Blu-Ray for $9 re-mastered by the Producers of Doomed: The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four.

Also includes an audio commentary from the director.
I didnít realize this was out. Might have to get that eventually.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 05:04 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 54,204
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

This BD sounds like the closest thing we'll get to a legitimate release of the movie.

Here's their description of what they did to remaster it for HD

This authored copy of FF was created using the best quality SD version of the film we could find. We up-rez'd it to 1080p HD and tweaked the video levels to broadcast legal. Please note, however, that it is of sub-DVD/1st Gen VHS quality. But until it gets a legit release, this is the best quality version out there.

Includes a scene specific audio commentary by FF director, Oley Sassone. And a gorgeous 35mm-sourced trailer.
DJariya is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 06:01 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,136
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
This BD sounds like the closest thing we'll get to a legitimate release of the movie.
But how is it legal?
DWilson is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 06:10 PM
  #13  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 26,275
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

dex14 is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 06:12 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 54,204
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
But how is it legal?
The bootleg is widely available and can be purchased at many Comic shows around the country. I guess this movie is sort of getting a pass and slipped under the rug because no major studio wants to release a legitimate copy.

These guys aren't scammers. they are small Indie filmmakers. They produced the legitimate documentary on the making of the movie, which they financed and crowd sourced. I bought the BD of their documentary last year after renting it on Amazon.

Hell, Roger Corman was interviewed in their film. He probably doesn't care. And I doubt Marvel cares either. They have more important things to worry about than a $1M cheapo movie that never got released.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-02-19 at 06:17 PM.
DJariya is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 06:14 PM
  #15  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 26,275
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

FYI - The Doomed doc is available on Prime, Vudu with ads, and Sundance Now.
dex14 is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 06:17 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,348
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

Watched it a while back on youtube. It wasn’t exactly a good movie, but it was mostly true to the source material and the quality was in line with the early 90s Captain America movie.

If anyone hasn’t seen it, it’s still up on youtube.

Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 06:33 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 17,484
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

That has to be the voice of Peter Cullen narrating the trailer. Sounds just like him.
Sonic is offline  
Old 02-02-19, 06:38 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,732
Re: Have you seen Roger Corman's Fantastic Four?

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
The bootleg is widely available and can be purchased at many Comic shows around the country. I guess this movie is sort of getting a pass and slipped under the rug because no major studio wants to release a legitimate copy.

These guys aren't scammers. they are small Indie filmmakers. They produced the legitimate documentary on the making of the movie, which they financed and crowd sourced. I bought the BD of their documentary last year after renting it on Amazon.

Hell, Roger Corman was interviewed in their film. He probably doesn't care. And I doubt Marvel cares either. They have more important things to worry about than a $1M cheapo movie that never got released.
Corman was just a gun for hire on the film. He definitely doesnít care, because heís got no skin in the game.
majorjoe23 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.