Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Aftermath (2019, S: Jason Clarke, Keira Knightley, Alexander Skarsgard), P: Ridley Scott

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Aftermath (2019, S: Jason Clarke, Keira Knightley, Alexander Skarsgard), P: Ridley Scott

Old 01-31-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

THE AFTERMATH is set in postwar Germany in 1946. Rachael Morgan (Keira Knightley) arrives in the ruins of Hamburg in the bitter winter, to be reunited with her husband Lewis (Jason Clarke), a British colonel charged with rebuilding the shattered city. But as they set off for their new home, Rachael is stunned to discover that Lewis has made an unexpected decision: They will be sharing the grand house with its previous owners, a German widower (Alexander Skarsgård) and his troubled daughter. In this charged atmosphere, enmity and grief give way to passion and betrayal.

In Theaters March 15, 2019 Directed by: James Kent Screenplay by: Joe Shrapnel, Anna Waterhouse and Rhidian Brook Based on the Novel The Aftermath by Rhidian Brook Produced by: Jack Arbuthnott p.g.a and Malte Grunert p.g.a. Executive Produced by: Ridley Scott, Carlo Dusi, Beth Pattinson and Joe Oppenheimer Cast: Keira Knightley, Alexander Skarsgård, Jason Clarke, Kate Phillips

Saw the trailer for this over the weekend during Serenity. It looks good. I would be interested in seeing this. Knightley actually looks healthy in this as opposed to other times I've seen her look super skinny.

This is like the year of Jason Clarke. Serenity, this and then Pet Semetary.
Old 01-31-19, 03:32 PM

Re: The Aftermath (2019, S: Jason Clarke, Keira Knightley, Alexander Skarsgard), P: Ridley Scott

I see this fucking trailer every time I go to the movies and am sick of it.
Old 02-01-19, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Aftermath (2019, S: Jason Clarke, Keira Knightley, Alexander Skarsgard), P: Ridley Scott

^That. It is not jumping out and grabbing me.
Old 02-01-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know. I've seen a few period WWII dramas about forbidden affairs like Hanover Street with Harrison Ford and The Affair on HBO with Courtney B. Vance and liked both of them. Period War era romance films are sort of a guilty pleasure. I also enjoyed Allied as well.
Old 04-09-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

FYI, this is now playing in 344 theatres nationwide as opposed to only 5 back on March 15th.

Doing a Jason Clarke doubleheader and seeing this in a few hours. I saw Pet Sematary yesterday.

This is 24% of RT, but apparently 75% of the viewers have liked it in it's very limited run.
Old 04-09-19, 02:26 PM

Why bother? You must like punishment.
Old 04-09-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Why bother? You must like punishment.
I like the genre.

I enjoyed Allied, Hanover Street, Pearl Harbor, The Affair from HBO from years ago and even Australia.

But hey film is subjective. If this doesn't appeal to you at all, then cool beans.

It doesn't mean this movie will be good, but it's not costing me anything extra out of pocket from A-List. It's happens to be playing at an AMC.
Old 04-09-19, 02:39 PM

I like the genre as well. I saw the movie I few weeks back. It was not very good at all. Nice looking, excruciatingly boring and cliched.

Edit: Sorry, my initial reaction was more about the Clarke double-header, missing you saw the other movie already.

Last edited by dex14; 04-09-19 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Okay, I just got back from seeing it. It's okay. It's not a steaming pile of crap and one of the worst movies of 2019 bad.

It's beautiful looking movie and I thought this was the best Keira Knightley has looked on screen in years.

One part that I did not sure I understood. It involved the friend of Skarsgard's daughter:

Spoiler:
Was he just trying to get revenge on Clarke because he blamed him for the death of that guy with the 888 tattoo who was shot earlier? I was confused with the picture of Clarke and his dead son. That whole sequence ended so abruptly.

But overall I felt like there was really no point to the movie when it was over. It was like a check list of your typical female romance novel. Knightley really had no chemistry with Clarke.

I did like the full nude sex scene with Knightley and Skarsgard.

Overall, I'd give it a C. Definitely not for the mostly testosterone-driven forum that this is.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-09-19 at 10:16 PM.