DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Army of the Dead (5/21/2021, D: Zack Snyder) - Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646625-army-dead-5-21-2021-d-zack-snyder-netflix.html)

E Unit 01-29-19 06:53 PM

Army of the Dead (5/21/2021, D: Zack Snyder) - Netflix

Banished to Netflix. No doubt to reboot it and make it more kickass and darker.

Zack Snyder Returning to Movies With Zombie Action Pic 'Army of the Dead' (Exclusive)

Zack is back.

Zack Snyder, who directed 2017's Justice League only to step away from movies to deal with a family tragedy, has signed on to helm Army of the Dead, a zombie horror thriller, for Netflix. Snyder will direct and produce with his partner and wife, Deborah Snyder, via their newly rebranded production company, Stone Quarry. The company's Wesley Coller is also producing.

Snyder also came up with the story for Army, which has a script by Joby Harold. The adventure is set amid a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas, during which a man assembles a group of mercenaries to take the ultimate gamble, venturing into the quarantined zone to pull off the greatest heist ever attempted.
Netflix, which is taking the project over from Warner Bros., where it was first set up in 2007, is going full throttle with Army. The movie will commence shooting this summer with a sizable budget that could reach the $90 million range, say sources.

To say Snyder is excited would be an understatement.
"There are no handcuffs on me at all with this one,” Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter in an interview.
Snyder was the chief architect of Warner Bros.’ stable of DC Comics films for many years, and he was in postproduction on Justice League when his and Deborah’s daughter committed suicide. The Snyders decided to step away from the movie, letting Joss Whedon film reshoots and finish postproduction. Since then, the duo has been out of the spotlight. There’s been a focus on family, working with suicide awareness causes, and a regrouping of his company. But film projects can be cathartic, and Zack says he's got a desire to get back behind the camera.

“I thought this was a good palate cleanser to really dig in with both hands and make something fun and epic and crazy and bonkers in the best possible way,” he says.

The new project features several full-circle moments for the filmmaker. For one, it brings Snyder back to the genre of his feature debut, 2004's Dawn of the Dead, which launched his high-profile feature directing career. It also reunites him with Scott Stuber, Netflix's movie head, the executive who originally gave Snyder his big-screen shot on the Universal release. And as much as Snyder had made his name in high-flying comic book adaptations such as 300, Watchmen and the various DC movies, this new project is one he is proud to call truly his own.
“I love to honor canon and the works of art,” he says of his adaptations, “but this is the opportunity to find a purely joyful way to express myself though a genre. It will be the most kick-ass, self-aware — but not in a wink-to-the-camera way — balls-to-the-wall zombie freakshow that anyone has ever seen. No one’s ever let me completely loose [like this].”

Snyder says he's been energized by the prospect of making this particular story. “I love big action, I love big sequences," he says. "My movie brain starts clicking around and I was like, ‘We need to be shooting this now!’ Constructing these sequences really fired me up.”
One thing Snyder has missed, even while making his mega-tentpoles, is actually operating a camera and “being in the trenches.”
“When the movie gets super big, you get pushed away from the camera," he notes. "And in the last few years I’ve had a reconnection with photography. This movie will be a chance to get the camera in hand."

Snyder’s return also is noteworthy on other fronts. According to sources, Netflix identified the project and sought it out from Warners, which led to dealmaking that could set precedent for the studio selling other projects to the streamer. Terms for the studio deal and Snyder’ deal were not disclosed.

Snyder is repped by CAA and Sloane Offer.

OldBoy 01-29-19 07:13 PM

re: Army of the Dead (5/21/2021, D: Zack Snyder) - Netflix

Ugh. Anything Snyder touches turns to shit. his superhero movies suck not to mention Sucker Punch, Watchmen was ok. I did love 300 though, but that was before he wrecked DC movies...

E Unit 01-29-19 07:16 PM

He did do Dawn of the Dead which was fairly good. And since this is more of that, I'm guessing we'll be somewhat at least entertained by it.

OldBoy 01-29-19 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13491246)
He did do Dawn of the Dead which was fairly good. And since this is more of that, I'm guessing we'll be somewhat at least entertained by it.

yeah, I did like that one too, but now his ego is too big or shattered, depending on what you read, and I don’t think he will be able to see a smaller pictiure, especially with a fucking $90 mil budget. Wasn’t Get Out made for like $5? This is just ridiculous...

Giantrobo 01-29-19 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13491242)
Ugh. Anything Snyder touches turns to shit. his superhero movies suck not to mention Sucker Punch, Watchmen was ok. I did love 300 though, but that was before he wrecked DC movies...

^This whole post is a got-damn lie :lol: I can't wait to see ZS's new Dead Flick.

Abob Teff 01-29-19 08:16 PM

I haven’t been thrilled with his recent output, but I am eager to see how this turns out. The premise sounds good and it sounds like he is ready to get back in the saddle with a new outlook.

islandclaws 01-29-19 08:47 PM

Sounds fun but that title is either reserved for a movie Romero never made or some shitty DTV flick. They could do better.

Why So Blu? 01-29-19 09:58 PM

Works for me. I never had anything against him and the last couple of years have been rough and I don't mean in terms of his films, but his personal life. I'm glad he's back.

MrRound2 01-29-19 10:07 PM

I like Zack Snyder, Sucker Punch is my favorite of his, its different for most things and its just fun. Watchman and Man Of Steel were great IMO and i look forward to this one.

Koby 01-29-19 10:55 PM

I'll be watching it when it releases on Netflix.

melasnus 01-30-19 12:10 AM

With this movie we'll have at least 3 big budget Z movies coming: AOD, WWZ2, Zombieland 2.
I'm all in. :)

Hazel Motes 01-30-19 01:47 AM

Sucks that it won't show in a theater. :thmbsdwn:

kd5 01-30-19 06:02 AM

I never got all the hate for Zack Snyder, I've liked his movies even though there's a few I haven't seen because they don't really grab me to watch them. I've liked his Dawn of the Dead remake, 300, Watchmen, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Justice League, and I've liked most of the other movies he's been involved with. Carnage doesn't bother me, I say bring it!

While the zombie genre is starting to get over done, tired, I'd like to see this new one. It may be a rental at first but if it's good enough I might just buy it. Who knows?

Koby 01-30-19 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 13491445)
I'd like to see this new one. It may be a rental at first but if it's good enough I might just buy it. Who knows?

Um... it'll be on Netflix streaming.

robin2099 01-30-19 07:09 AM

Honestly, I'm looking forward to this. I think that hating Zach Snyder is just one of the things that "cool" people on the internet like to do. I've enjoyed Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen, 300, Man of Steel, Sucker Punch(which I honestly think is underrated) and BVS. So I'm looking forward to it.

RichC2 01-30-19 08:15 AM

Naw, I feel he earned the hate. He's a one trick pony with his visual style and managed to make multiple movies about multiple beloved characters with zero actual character (this actually applies to everything he's done, though I did like 300 when it came out).

In otherwords, he's perfect with zombies.

He isn't an unskilled filmmaker, he just sucks with character development, giving things weight, and knowing when to say when.

clappj 01-30-19 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13491252)

yeah, I did like that one too, but now his ego is too big or shattered, depending on what you read, and I don’t think he will be able to see a smaller pictiure, especially with a fucking $90 mil budget. Wasn’t Get Out made for like $5? This is just ridiculous...

Here's an idea. Don't watch any more of his stuff, then you won't "have to" complain about it. :thumbsup:

OldBoy 01-30-19 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by clappj (Post 13491498)
Here's an idea. Don't watch any more of his stuff, then you won't "have to" complain about it. :thumbsup:

wasn't really complaining, just stating an opinion. the subject matter of his movies i like, i just don't like the way he makes those movies...

Maxflier 01-30-19 11:53 AM

Snyder is my dude, I love his movies. So I'll be there for anything he puts out.

clappj 01-30-19 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13491535)
wasn't really complaining, just stating an opinion. the subject matter of his movies i like, i just don't like the way he makes those movies...

I was suggesting that you can simply skip watching "Army of the Dead" to avoid future complaining that you didn't like it also. :)

melasnus 01-30-19 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 13491423)
Sucks that it won't show in a theater. :thmbsdwn:

Why?
FWIW, I almost always prefer my HT to the cineplex.
Maybe it's because I can hit PAUSE with the remote and don't have to listen to screaming kids and jack-off adults. ;)

dex14 04-05-19 06:37 PM

Orbi-Wan Techno 04-07-19 11:54 AM

On Netflix, can watch it at my leisure. No problem.

DVD Josh 04-07-19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13491242)

We will never really know how Justice League would have been so its not fair to judge him on that. Probably better than what we got.

dex14 05-29-19 10:08 AM

British actress Ella Purnell has joined the cast of Zack Snyder’s “Army of the Dead” as Dave Bautista’s daughter Kate, an individual with knowledge of the project told TheWrap exclusively. Additionally, Ana De La Reguera (“Everything, Everything,” “Goliath”), Theo Rossi (“Luke Cage,” “Sons of Anarchy”) and Huma Qureshi (“Kaala,” “Viceroy’s House,” “Gangs of Wasseypur,” “Badlapur”) round out the rest of the cast.

Snyder and Shay Hatten wrote the script for the project, which follows a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas and a man assembling a group of mercenaries to pull off the greatest heist. “Army of the Dead” marks Snyder’s return to the zombie genre, having previously made his directorial debut with “Dawn of the Dead” for Universal Pictures.

Snyder and his wife Deborah Snyder are producing for The Stone Quarry with Wesley Coller. Ori Marmur and Andrew Norman are overseeing for Netflix.
https://www.thewrap.com/ella-purnell...dave-bautista/