Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you've always wanted to see, but can never find

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-28-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not talking about lost or locked-up films (i.e,The Day The Clown Cried) but movies that are indeed somewhere out there, but just never seem to be available for you to see. Some of mine:

Celine and Julie Go Boating (1974)-One of the first acclaimed "Foreign artsy" films that I ever heard of...And still have yet to find it.
Roaring Fire (1982)-Said to be one of the coolest Japanese action films. The closest I've seen of this is on youtube, too bad the audio ends up going terribly off synch.
Jaded (1998)-You can easily find naughty screengrabs of this online. But finding the actual movie is a different story.
Machen in Uniform (1931)-An early LGBTQ entry. On youtube, but no English subs.
Small Time (1996)- I remember running into this movie on cable in the late 90s and, from what I got to see, it looked entertaining. On youtube, but it's blocked for me.
Urgh! A Music War (1981)-Yes, I know of the archive release. But rather than a blind buy, I still have my fingers crossed for a TCM Underground showing.
Demon Pond (1976)-On youtube, but no subs. Desperately needed just so I can FINALLY complete this list: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/the+deuce+top+20/
Old 01-28-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Movies you've always wanted to see, but can never find

Jaded is on DVD, you can buy it from Amazon.

Celine and Julie Go Boating is on Blu, but it's Region B.

Or do you mean like, on a streaming service or on cable?
Old 01-28-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dark Streets of Cairo(1940). Universal quasi-horror 'B' movie filmed on the set used for The Mummy's Hand.
Old 01-28-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Jaded is on DVD, you can buy it from Amazon.

Celine and Julie Go Boating is on Blu, but it's Region B.

Or do you mean like, on a streaming service or on cable?
Yeah, mostly streaming or cable. The more convenient, the better. And since my buying of movies has significantly decreased, this mostly rules out blind buys. But I could make an exception for Jaded And no, I’ve yet to own a R0 Blu player.
Old 01-28-19, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Charro! and Change of Habit. I have seen 29 of Elvis' 31 films and these are the only two I have not seen. I have all the others, but can never find them. As bad as most of his movies were, I feel I need to suffer through these two to make myself complete.
Old 01-28-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Snabba Cash (2010)

Dobermann (1997)

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 01-28-19 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it is crap but I don't know where you can find it

Oh it is on Youtube.

Old 01-28-19, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post

Dobermann (1997)

That's the original PAL DVD release artwork. Non anamorphic. I still have it but haven't watched it in ages but I remember it was entertaining but not all that.

Here's the current one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dobermann-DVD-Tcheky-Karyo/dp/B004P131EM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1548720020&sr=8-2&keywords=dobermann https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dobermann-DVD-Tcheky-Karyo/dp/B004P131EM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1548720020&sr=8-2&keywords=dobermann
Old 01-28-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't found the below-listed anywhere. Some of them have been on my want-list for 25+ years. There are many others, but these stick out as most-wanted. Other films I have, but without English subtitles, so they're not listed here either.
-Between Friends (1973)
-Der gläserne Himmel (1987)
-Horizon (1971)
-Karma (1986, Vietnam film)
-Guiltrip (1995)
-Den vita väggen (1975)
-Anthracite (1980)
-Drachenfutter (1987)
-João en het mes (1972, first film by George Sluizer)
-Verigata (1964)
-Anguish (1976)
-La vie rêvée (1972)
-Waiting for Caroline (1969)
-Notes for a Film About Donna & Gail (1966)
-Running Scared (1972)
-The Lake (1978, short horror)
-Mallboy (2000)
-The P.O.W. (1973)
Old 01-28-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 01-28-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Charro! and Change of Habit. I have seen 29 of Elvis' 31 films and these are the only two I have not seen. I have all the others, but can never find them. As bad as most of his movies were, I feel I need to suffer through these two to make myself complete.
Oh, you definitely need to see those. I saw CHARRO! when it came out (the only Elvis film I saw on the big screen in its original release) and I have CHANGE OF HABIT on VHS. (It has since come out on DVD.)

CHANGE OF HABIT is quite fascinating. It has some really good stuff in it but also some really bad stuff. If it only had a better, edgier director and if only Elvis's heart had been in it. But he seems so disinterested throughout. Mary Tyler Moore, though, is very good as a conflicted nun. I wonder if she ever talked about the making of this movie.
Old 01-28-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

North-the 90s kids movie starring Elijah Wood. I only want to watch it because I still remember to this day how much Siskel and Ebert hated the movie.
Old 01-29-19, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I didn't see what was so awful about that movie- it wasn't great, but entertaining.

I never saw "Masterminds" from 1997, where Patrick Stewart takes over a military school. It was never on laserdisc or DVD, Vudu has it for rent but only in 'foolscreen' (remember that?) so don't want to waste my money on that.

Heard about a movie in the 70s called "20th Century Oz" that sounds like a disco version of Wizard of Oz (sorta like The Wiz) but can never find that- ditto for "All This and World War II" which had Beatles songs on the soundtrack.
Old 01-29-19, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Oh, you definitely need to see those. I saw CHARRO! when it came out (the only Elvis film I saw on the big screen in its original release) and I have CHANGE OF HABIT on VHS. (It has since come out on DVD.)

CHANGE OF HABIT is quite fascinating. It has some really good stuff in it but also some really bad stuff. If it only had a better, edgier director and if only Elvis's heart had been in it. But he seems so disinterested throughout. Mary Tyler Moore, though, is very good as a conflicted nun. I wonder if she ever talked about the making of this movie.
I have never been able to find either one on home video or DVD. I'm sure they have, but I haven't had any luck finding them. I have read that Elvis and MTM didn't get along at all and when they were breaks in filming, he would go to his trailer and she would go to hers. By this time Elvis was ready to be done with movies and wanted to get back out on the road touring.
Old 02-03-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Urgh! A Music War (1981)-Yes, I know of the archive release. But rather than a blind buy, I still have my fingers crossed for a TCM Underground showing.
If you're even remotely a fan of this era of music (after the brief punk explosion, but before the rise of MTV), then it's most certainly worth a blind buy. I absolutely guarantee you'll become a fan of several bands that you'll see for the first time in this movie (for me it was Chelsea, The Members, and John Ottway).
Old 02-03-19, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Dobermann (1997)
I was fortunate to have picked up the Anamorphic (DVD) Release from Amalgama (Ukranian Company) over 10 years ago. I haven't been able to find another copy since.

As far as films I'd like to see and haven't been able to find, there are a small handful of CATIII films I've been wanting to see but only had VCD (or DVD) Releases, which are now out of print.

Her Vengeance (1988)
Underground Banker (1994)
Prostitute Killers (2000)
Diary of a Serial Killer (1995)
Horrible High Heels (1996)
Love To Kill (1993)

Last edited by asianxcore; 02-03-19 at 08:11 PM.