DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2023, D: Wan) -- News and Rumors (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646582-aquaman-lost-kingdom-2023-d-wan-news-rumors.html)

DJariya 01-25-19 03:12 PM

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2023, D: Wan) -- News and Rumors

https://deadline.com/2019/01/aquaman...os-1202540137/

Warner Bros. is eager to set sail with Aquaman 2. Warner Bros. has been courting the filmmaker and will likely need a whale-sized deal to lock him in. Wan is the only filmmaker who has delivered a billion-dollar moneymaker for two different studios (his Furious 7 revved up $1.5 billion for Universal in 2016) but don’t expect him to ship out from the Aquaman franchise. The filmmaker is deeply invested in the world creation aspect of Aquaman and sees the deep, blue sea as a fantasy setting that can be cinematically comparable to Middle-earth, the Jedi galaxy or the wizarding world of the Harry Potter films. There’s a lot of ocean floor and undersea kingdoms left for Wan explore.

Wan’s spokesman says the filmmaker is taking a much-needed break right now and studio sources say that a deal won’t happen until Wan sees a seaworthy script. The project is in development mode until that happens. Another wrinkle is Wan’s first-look deal with New Line. But it would be a shocker if Warner Bros. doesn’t get Wan back on board the same way they locked in director Patty Jenkins for the Wonder Woman sequel. After watching Disney-owned rival Marvel Studios fill the sky with superheroes there’s just too much pressure on Warner Bros. to catch up for the studio to allow a proven success to get off the hook.

There may be plenty of fish in the sea but Wan is a rare savant when it comes to delivering high-return international hits. Born in Malaysia and raised in Australia, he is a citizen of the world in his filmmaking sensibilities and Aquaman has proven to be a powerhouse export. Only 28% of the film’s box office haul has been in the domestic marketplace. No other DC Comics movie has traveled as well or as far in foreign markets.

The filmmaker minted his Hollywood reputation within the horror genre by displaying a golden (and grisly) touch with hard-R hits with lean budgets and fat profits. His feature debut, Saw, for instance, was filmed in 18 days for $1.2 million — it went on to generate $103 million in global box office and six sequels for Lionsgate. Wan didn’t direct any of those Sawsequels, however, and while he profited from them as a producer he also blanched when the franchise veered from his original vision in ways both large and small.

Lesson learned, Wan stayed on as the director for the sequels to Insidious (2011) and The Conjuring (2013). At New York Comic Con in 2012 he acknowledged the protective spirit he felt toward his franchise launches: “I think the sequel to Insidiousis kind of my reaction to Saw, where for my own reason I wasn’t as involved in the sequels, and so I felt with Insidious, I think it would be good to shepherd it and keep it more in track to the vision I had when I made the first film so that it doesn’t detour too far. I never set out to make sequels to any of my films I direct. If they happen, that’s great because that means people out there love it and they want more of it. But I always felt with Insidious we created this really interesting world that we can explore more…”

Wan spent years working on Aquaman including 172 days on principal photography with stops in Queensland, Morocco, Italy and Canada. It’s hard to imagine him walking away now. Last month I asked him about the sequel and he demurred. “I’m superstitious about that,” he said.

Wan clearly set the stage for the sequel in the first film by introducing Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as the Black Manta in a prominent, compelling and open-ended sequence which did plenty to whet fans appetite for his rematch with Jason Momoa’s Arthur Curry, a.k.a. Aquaman.

After Wan’s Furious 7 success, Warner Bros. was so eager to work with the filmmaker on a superhero film that they offered him his pick of properties. The director considered The Flash project but in the end chose Aquaman for its (literally) immersive fantasy potential and also because he liked the challenge presented by the much-maligned hero’s pop-culture standing. For years Aquaman has been an orange-shirted punchline (thanks to Entourage, SpongeBob SquarePants, Robot Chicken, etc.). No one is laughing anymore. And this weekend when the King of Atlantis surpasses the Dark Knight of Gotham City, orange will officially be the new black for Warner Bros.

Nothing concrete right now. WB is looking to re-hire Wan and needs to hire someone to write a script.

Deftones 01-25-19 03:21 PM

re: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2023, D: Wan) -- News and Rumors

I see they had the Patty Jenkins directing deal with Wan. :lol:

PhantomStranger 01-25-19 03:28 PM

I wish Wan had picked the Flash movie. They need to toss everything out about the current Flash project and recast the role.

dex14 01-25-19 03:36 PM

Duh.

DJariya 02-11-19 07:20 PM

https://deadline.com/2019/02/aquaman...ck-1202555222/

David Leslie Johnson -McGoldrick hired to write the sequel.

he co-wrote the screenplay for the 1st movie.

Eric F 02-13-19 12:05 PM

King Shark please!

Hokeyboy 02-13-19 02:22 PM

I'd like to see more of that exploration/adventure vibe, that overall sense of wonder. What better time to include Challengers of the Unknown and the Sea Devils?

RichC2 02-27-19 12:04 PM

Date set for December 16th, 2022.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/aquaman...te-1202566171/

That seems like a long, long, long wait between entries.

TheMovieman 02-27-19 12:53 PM

Re: Aquaman 2 -- News and Rumors

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13507780)
Date set for December 16th, 2022.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/aquaman...te-1202566171/

That seems like a long, long, long wait between entries.

long long long? It's 4 years, same amount of time between The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. Personally, I'd rather them get the script right and have enough time in post production for the visual effects (some of it was good, but others were a bit off). Also, they probably want to release this in December and 2021 is a no-go with Avatar 3 opening then (in addition, Warner already has 2 DC movies in 2021 with The Batman and The Suicide Squad).

DJariya 02-27-19 01:02 PM

I'm guessing they will start shooting this next year and spend most of 2021 on post production. The first movie took about 5 months to film in 2017 and then I assume they spent most of 2018 in post production.

RichC2 02-27-19 01:47 PM

Looking over it yeah, 4 years is the norm. Just seems long.

dsa_shea 02-27-19 07:02 PM

We will be knee deep in Avatar and a lot of people might not care about this as much as they do now in four years. It seems like they are dropping a chance at keeping the momentum of the success of the first one.

Bigger! Badder! Wetter!

TheMovieman 03-15-19 07:52 PM

Given what's going on with Amber Heard, probably a good thing this is a ways off. Gives time for the whole ordeal to be adjudicated in court before Warner has to make a decision whether or not to recast Mera.

dex14 02-26-21 08:51 AM

Forbes wrote something in an article that Emilia Clarke is replacing Amber Heard as Mera. No other trades are reporting this as of yet. The article is two months old, but I saw it being mentioned only recently. So, I would consider this not factual for now.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/keithfl...h=7f637a775d2f

Runaway 02-26-21 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13897292)
Forbes wrote something in an article that Emilia Clarke is replacing Amber Heard as Mera. No other trades are reporting this as of yet. The article is two months old, but I saw it being mentioned only recently. So, I would consider this not factual for now.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/keithfl...h=7f637a775d2f

I had the discussion a few days back, since the artice got some traction for whatever reason. It's an artice in a business magazine about selling her house and in a half sentence they mention her being the new Mera. I am pretty sure the author is just illinformed and misunderstood the stupid petition to remove Amber Heard.
For two months not even a mentioning of the rumor in Variety, THR, Deadline or any other big outlet, just a few fringe outlets quoting Forbes.

Giantrobo 02-26-21 11:31 AM

Maybe Clarke's "people" had the writer throw that out there to test the waters...no pun intended...as they may smell Heard's blood in the water...pun definitely intended.

We know that happens all the time. Plus it's not like Clarke and Mamoa don't already have history and chemistry.

dex14 02-26-21 11:42 AM

:lol:

alfredog1976 02-26-21 07:08 PM

Whatever the case may be, Amber Heard shit the bed

TheMovieman 04-15-21 05:17 PM

Aquaman 2’: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Alum Pilou Asbaek Joins Jason Momoa In Sequel

EXCLUSIVE: With production gearing up, Warner Bros., DC Entertainment and James Wan have found Jason Momoa his first new co-star for highly-anticipated sequel to the global hit Aquaman. Sources tell Deadline Pilou Asbaek, best known for his role as the villainous Euron Greyjoy in Game of Thrones, is in talks to join Aquaman 2 opposite Momoa who is set to return in the title role.

Warner Bros. had no comment.
https://deadline.com/2021/04/aquaman...oa-1234735236/

DJariya 06-10-21 07:03 PM

We now have an official title

E Unit 06-10-21 07:48 PM

Of the Crystal Skull?

OldBoy 06-11-21 07:26 PM

Part 3…Aquaman: Dominion. With Colin Treverrow taking the reigns from Wan.

Why So Blu? 06-28-21 12:34 PM

James Wan just posted from the set -- today is Day 1 of shooting.

TheMovieman 06-28-21 08:53 PM

So that makes it four DC movies in production at the same time... Aquaman 2, The Flash, Shazam 2 and Black Adam.

DJariya 09-05-21 01:16 PM