Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019, D: Berlinger) -- S: Zac Efron as Ted Bundy -- Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019, D: Berlinger) -- S: Zac Efron as Ted Bundy -- Netflix

Old 01-25-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile 1969. Ted (Zac Efron) is crazy-handsome, smart, charismatic, affectionate. And cautious single mother Liz Kloepfer (Lily Collins) ultimately cannot resist his charms. For her, Ted is a match made in heaven, and she soon falls head over heels in love with the dashing young man. A picture of domestic bliss, the happy couple seems to have it all figured out … until, out of nowhere, their perfect life is shattered. Ted is arrested and charged with a series of increasingly grisly murders. Concern soon turns to paranoia—and, as evidence piles up, Liz is forced to consider that the man with whom she shares her life could actually be a psychopath. This is the story of Ted Bundy, one of the most notorious serial killers of all time. Collins shines as Liz, while Zac Efron gives a performance that could redefine his career. Renowned filmmaker Joe Berlinger, best known for his true-crime documentaries, proves to be the perfect match to bring this Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile true story to the screen.

Director: Joe Berlinger Stars: Zac Efron, Lily Collins, Kaya Scodelario, John Malkovich

Apparently this has been shot and in the can for awhile. It's being released at Sundance first.
Old 01-25-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019, D: Berlinger) -- S: Zac Efron as Ted Bundy -- Netflix

Not a fan of the title.
Old 01-25-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019, D: Berlinger) -- S: Zac Efron as Ted Bundy -- Netflix

The title does have a Lifetime ring to it.
Old 01-25-19, 10:34 PM

It’s looking good, and it was filmed in my neck of the woods, an added bonus.

The film’s director also created the four part docu drama on Netflix called Conversations with a Killer: the Ted Bundy Tapes, it’s quite fascinating.
Old 01-26-19, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Zac Efron sucks
Old 01-28-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Early reviews are saying this is quite good, giving Efron praise, but the lack of unibrow and Ted having a shirtless scene both seem a little groan-worthy.
Old 02-04-19, 01:57 PM

Though Sundance officially wrapped yesterday, the deal-making continues. Netflix is closing in on a deal for U.S. rights and some international territories to the Zac Efron as serial killer Ted Bundy drama Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile. A source pegged the deal at a staggering $9 million.

Directed by Joe Berlinger -- the Oscar-nominated helmer behind Paradise Lost who excels in the true crime genre -- the film chronicles the crimes of Ted Bundy, from the perspective of his longtime girlfriend, Elizabeth Kloepfer, who refused to believe the truth about him for years. Lily Collins plays Kloepfer, while Haley Joel Osment, Kaya Scodelario, John Malkovich and Jim Parsons round out the cast.

The film sparked a late-fest bidding war that also involved STX and Lionsgate. Netflix will give the film an awards-season theatrical run for star Efron sometime in the fall.

The Michael Werwie-penned film made its world premiere at the Eccles Theatre on Jan. 26 and drew rave reviews. In his review of the movie, THR's Todd McCarthy wrote "Efron flies higher than ever here, investing his character with an illusory confidence that’s entertaining even when the character and legal charges fully live up to the film’s title." Netflix proved to be a natural fit given that Berlinger already has the hit docuseries Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes with the streamer that covers the same subject.

The deal marks the first narrative feature buy for Netflix at this year's Sundance market. The streaming giant also bought docs like the Participant Media-backed American Factory and the Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez campaign chronicle Knock Down the House.

Extremely Wicked was produced by Nicolas Chartier, Michael Costigan, Ara Keshishian and Michael Simkin. Executive producers included Jason Barrett, Berlinger, Jonathan Deckter and Michael Werwie.

CAA Media Finance and UTA negotiated the deal on behalf of the filmmakers. Voltage is handling international sales.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...Lx56Jp7h8h6khY
Old 02-04-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019, D: Berlinger) -- S: Zac Efron as Ted Bundy -- Netfl

Netflix cant get enough of Ted Bundy and serial killers, huh.
Old 02-04-19, 03:10 PM

Re: Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019, D: Berlinger) -- S: Zac Efron as Ted Bundy -- Netfl

Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
Netflix cant get enough of Ted Bundy and serial killers, huh.
Same director. So it works out well.
Old 04-02-19, 10:56 AM

Old 04-02-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jeez, haven't there been enough movies, documentary and docudrama, about Bundy? I know I have seen at least half-a-dozen of them. Matthew Bright's 2002 Ted Bundy was actually one of the better non-doc serial-killer bios this side of Henry: Portrait... and Confessions of a Serial Killer, which are close to equals in mastery.
Old 04-03-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Jeez, haven't there been enough movies, documentary and docudrama, about Bundy?
MORE than enough.
The tale of Bundy is more a story of Law Enforcement fails than anything else.
The most important thing is it had a Happy Ending.
Old 04-03-19, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
MORE than enough.
The tale of Bundy is more a story of Law Enforcement fails than anything else.
The most important thing is it had a Happy Ending.
Depending on how one feels about capital punishment, but if anyone deserved it, it was him. I agree, the LE mistakes were colossal and instructive, especially the flubs that allowed him to escape from prison for the second time and proceed to Fla., where he slaughtered a couple of co-eds and, most tragically, 12-year-old Kimberly Leach.
Old 04-03-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can probably watch a doc on Reelz which will probably be better than this movie.

My Friend Dahmer is a rare exception and probably a decent movie of a serial killer.
Old 04-03-19, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
You can probably watch a doc on Reelz which will probably be better than this movie.
There is doc by the same director as this movie that is also on Netflix, and is excellent.
Old 04-04-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, the LE mistakes were colossal and instructive, especially the flubs that allowed him to escape from prison for the second time and proceed to Fla., where he slaughtered a couple of co-eds and, most tragically, 12-year-old Kimberly Leach.
To be fair (if that really applies here), the LE errors regarding Bundy were nowhere NEAR those made in pursuit of Gary Ridgway (the Green River Killer).
The Ann Rule book detailing the investigation of Ridgway (Green River, Running Red) will raise anyone's blood pressure thru the roof.
Old 04-04-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair (if that really applies here), the LE errors regarding Bundy were nowhere NEAR those made in pursuit of Gary Ridgway (the Green River Killer).
The Ann Rule book detailing the investigation of Ridgway (Green River, Running Red) will raise anyone's blood pressure thru the roof.
Didn't John Douglas have a nervous breakdown trying to catch Green River at the height of his spree in the early-'80s? I seem to recall that. That Rule book is one of the few by her that I don't have. She wasn't a very good writer, but she sure as hell was prolific.
Old 04-05-19, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't John Douglas have a nervous breakdown trying to catch Green River at the height of his spree in the early-'80s? I seem to recall that.
It sounds familiar, but I'm not sure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Douglas

This is some info on one of the biggest monsters of all time: the Green River Killer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ridgway
Old 04-05-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I could swear it was Douglas (he probably mentioned it on an old pre-capture A&E show (American Justice, possibly) about Green River), but it might have been Ressler or Hazelwood, or one of those other profiling trailblazers. Anyway, I do remember the guy saying he was haunted by his inability to help solve the case.
A fascinating footnote is that Roberta Hayes, one of the kids seen in the devastating documentary Streetwise, was a victim of Ridgway's.
Old 04-05-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

John Douglas did have a nervous breakdown, but in his book Mindhunter he said that it was caused by overwork. He was pulling long hours, then he was thinking hard about cases before he went to sleep so his unconscious mind could work on them while he was sleeping. He spent so much time dealing with horrors that he lost the ability to relate to normal people, and his marriage was falling apart. He described how his wife accidentally cut herself, and his reaction was to educate the kids on the pattern of blood drops rather than sympathize with her.
Old 04-06-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^That could be what I'm remembering, since I have the book somewhere in my collection, but I swear it was associated with the Green River investigation somehow, maybe only temporally.
Old 04-07-19, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^That could be what I'm remembering, since I have the book somewhere in my collection, but I swear it was associated with the Green River investigation somehow, maybe only temporally.
TGR Killer case made scores of LEOs look like Keystone Cops.
It was astonishing how many clues they missed and how the guy could literally work right under their noses murdering women.
A very sad situation for all involved.
Old 04-07-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That title is cumbersome - as if they were trying to outdo Something Wicked This Way Comes.
Old 04-07-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TGR Killer case made scores of LEOs look like Keystone Cops.
It was astonishing how many clues they missed and how the guy could literally work right under their noses murdering women.
A very sad situation for all involved.
I know a reasonable amount about the case (most details have slipped from my memory), but I didn't know until you mentioned it that such a series of LE snafus were involved.
Old 04-07-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was so MANY screw-ups that it was alleged, by family members and others, the cops were willfully incompetent because nearly all of the victims were suspected prostitutes.
Go find yourself a good book at a used book store (sorry, it has been so long I can't recall the names of any titles)...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.