Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019, D: Berlinger) -- S: Zac Efron as Ted Bundy -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019, D: Berlinger) -- S: Zac Efron as Ted Bundy -- Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019, D: Berlinger) -- S: Zac Efron as Ted Bundy -- Netfl

^Ah, yes, of course. The victims were all hookers, so the police didn't care. It's a plausible accusation, or at least it can be, but not when there are upwards of 40 murders and so many investigators of disparate backgrounds.
I'll look into a few of the books on the case. I don't want to read the Rule book. I'm sure a better author tackled the subject.
Old 04-07-19, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019, D: Berlinger) -- S: Zac Efron as Ted Bundy -- Netfl

Figured this would be a movie about Gamestop.
Old 04-08-19, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I don't want to read the Rule book. I'm sure a better author tackled the subject.
In the Green River case, Rule happened to have personally known a lot of the cops and other people associated in the investigation from her Bundy days.
She was in the perfect time and place to report on all of it.
Old 04-08-19, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by melasnus
In the Green River case, Rule happened to have personally known a lot of the cops and other people associated in the investigation from her Bundy days.
She was in the perfect time and place to report on all of it.
That is true. Her book about Bundy was one of her best, in part because she sat next to him at the suicide call centre, so the story was more personal. My complaint about her is that her objective seemed to be to crank out as many books as she could, without much regard for quality. Her writing was, for the most part, rote and undistinguished compared to the more eloquent true crime writers. (Mind you, I have almost every book she ever wrote, because they are big and fat and good value for money.)
Among her best books were Bitter Harvest and Small Sacrifices, and some of her novellas/stories were more memorable than others; two that spring to mind are the story about the wild, monstrous red-haired man who murdered a woman's parents and daughter, who lived down the street from her, if I remember right, and she worriedly arrived at the scene minutes after it occurred; and another, the creepy story of an antique dealer named Larry (?), a serial killer in-the-making, who sexually abused and killed two men in an isolated forest before being shot and killed by his intended next victim, who then ran partially bound and naked out of the woods. Those two tales were like something out of a horror movie.
Also fascinating and haunting was the story of the woman who vanished into thin air while driving home in the late-'70s. As it turned out, she hadn't been abducted and killed, as was initially suspected, but had mistakenly driven unnoticed off a high Seattle bridge. Her car and body were discovered many years later at the bottom of the body of water, after a clever investigator followed up a hunch.
Old 05-02-19, 07:00 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

This is up on Netflix tomorrow. Currently 60% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ext..._evil_and_vile
Old 05-03-19, 04:04 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Just watched it. Really good performances. Great tone. Definitely worth a watch,
Old 05-03-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I was hoping to get an answer for why Liz was a love-interest and not a victim. Was Bundy originally going to kill her but changed his mind? And what changed it?
Old 05-03-19, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I was hoping to get an answer for why Liz was a love-interest and not a victim. Was Bundy originally going to kill her but changed his mind? And what changed it?
Some serial killers have separate, normal lives. They compartmentalize, doing their dastardly deeds to slake their thirst for murder and then heading home to girlfriends or wives, families, jobs, friends.
Elizabeth Kloepfer was his girlfriend for five years. I don't think he ever intended to kill her.
Old 05-04-19, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I saw Zac Efron promoting this movie on Ellen. It was surreal because I thought that this movie would have faced a lot more backlash in light of the #MeToo movement. But Ellen, a #MeToo supporter, was right there with Efron doing mental gymnastics to justify this movie.

Why Netflix Ted Bundy Zac Efron Movie Is So Problematic -Refinery29

In a more honest world, Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile might have been called Ted Bundy Fucks. (We do, in fact, see him have consensual sex several times.)
The film would then have been about her journey to realizing his true identity, rather than his journey to convince her otherwise. Instead, we mostly see Ted as he sees himself: a victim, manipulated by the press, the courts, and the police for their own political ends.​​​​​​
Lily Collins says she was visited by the ghosts of Ted Bundy's victims-Newsweek

“I would go downstairs and have a cup of tea, trying to figure out why I had woken up again,” she said of her time preparing for the role of Kloepfer. “I started being woken up by flashes of images, like the aftermath of a struggle.”

Collins came to realize these were images sent to her by Bundy’s deceased victims. For most, that realization may come as a terrifying shock, but to Collins, it was a confirmation that her role was important. “I didn’t feel scared – I felt supported,” she explained. “I felt like people were saying: ‘We’re here listening. We’re here to support. Thank you for telling the story.’”
I guess this is Collins way/the studios way of countering the criticism of making a movie like this. "Hey, the victims wanted this movie to get made."
What the fuck is wrong with people?

What Collins learned through research was the time the ghosts appeared to her was during the “Witching Hour” each night. The actor sited 3:05 as the time she’d wake up on these occasions, which is one of the first minutes of the believed, haunted time. “I discovered that 3 a.m. is the time when the veil between the realms is the thinnest and one can be visited,” Collins explained of the time.

According to paranormal research, Collins is right. The term “the witching hour” comes from the idea that the hour is when magic or a witches’ powers are the strongest, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary. The time has histories of being known for paranormal activity, among other strengths in categories like black magic, that makes it easy for humans to have otherwise abnormal experiences.
And this...it's hard to believe that a writer for Newsweek is going along with this shit.
Old 05-05-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I agree that it's hard to believe that this article came from the once-revered Newsweek. It's rather sad that the organization's standards have taken such a nosedive in such a short amount of time. Did you also notice the misused word in that last quote that was posted?: "The actor sited 3:05 as the time she'd wake up on these occasions, which is one of the first minutes of the believed, haunted time." That's an awful sentence to begin with, but using the wrong word? Has Newsweek completely done away with copy editors, or at least the competent ones?
Old 05-05-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Newsweek was sold in 2013, formally spun off again last year, and is now basically run like BuzzFeed-lite. Most employees of the original have left or been fired, others think it's a front for money laundering for a Christian cult.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...and-journalism

It'll make an interesting documentary/movie some day.
Old 05-05-19, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Newsweek was sold in 2013, formally spun off again last year, and is now basically run like BuzzFeed-lite. Most employees of the original have left or been fired, others think it's a front for money laundering for a Christian cult.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...and-journalism

It'll make an interesting documentary/movie some day.
Back-in-the-day, I loved Newsweek...required reading at the time.
Like others, the internet killed it.
Old 05-06-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True. I often notice glaring errors in my local paper. Print orgs just don't have the readership to pay for editors anymore.
Old 05-12-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

The title is misleading and I thought I was going to see some demented twisted sadistic shit. I did not watch the trailer or read the plot description.

Spoiler:
Only one murder near the end was shown.

James Hetfield had a cameo as a cop and did not know that until I saw him listed in the closing credits.

Old 05-12-19, 06:25 PM

^^^ The title refers to what the judge says in the movie (and in real life), and has nothing to do with the film’s actual content. The film is from the perspective of the girlfriend. Having said that, I thought what the movie is about is pretty twisted and sadistic shit, but okay.
Old 05-13-19, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes but show some of that stuff and don't just talk about it and that would be worse than any horror movie
Old 05-13-19, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I understood what the film was going for. It was a unique take on the serial killer story. I know nothing of Bundy. And it was interesting to watch him maintain his innocence.

I’d recommend it. One of the few Netflix films that could have made it as a theatrical release.
Old 05-13-19, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Yes but show some of that stuff and don't just talk about it and that would be worse than any horror movie
I’ve seen Maniac. And the luring tricks in Silence of the Lambs were borrowed directly from Bundy.
Old 05-13-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack

I’ve seen Maniac. And the luring tricks in Silence of the Lambs were borrowed directly from Bundy.
There's another recent Bundy movie banking on that fact.
Spoiler:

Old 05-13-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I understood what the film was going for. It was a unique take on the serial killer story. I know nothing of Bundy. And it was interesting to watch him maintain his innocence.

I’d recommend it. One of the few Netflix films that could have made it as a theatrical release.

It was shown in a few select theaters

On May 3, the film will open in a few select theaters across the country, so you’ll need to check your local listings to see if it’s playing near you.

According to IGN, filmmakers have plans to run the movie in theaters in to the summer, and possibly even give it another theatrical run during awards season in the fall. So, if you’re hoping to catch Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile on the big screen, you should keep an eye out for local theater schedules and timings.
https://www.romper.com/p/can-you-see...tings-17292144
Old 05-13-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Did you guys really want another gross serial killer movie with a bunch of dead bodies? To me, that gruesome genre (starting with gross body horror movies like Hostel an Saw) is over. I'm sure it'll be reinvented by some clever filmmakers.

This movie was far better than a gory serial killer movie with screaming damsels in distress.
Old 05-13-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I heard something that originally the director wanted it to be a surprise that you were watching the Ted Bundy story, not revealed until the third act. Word would have gotten out anyway so I'm glad they didn't do that. Still that kind of informs the thinking behind this movie -- it wants to be more about relationship dynamics than about how a serial killer functions.
Old 05-13-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I heard something that originally the director wanted it to be a surprise that you were watching the Ted Bundy story, not revealed until the third act. Word would have gotten out anyway so I'm glad they didn't do that. Still that kind of informs the thinking behind this movie -- it wants to be more about relationship dynamics than about how a serial killer functions.
Heard him on a podcast talking about it. The original script hid that it was Ted Bundy till the very end. It was on the blacklist for a while, studios kept trying to make it but never pulled the trigger. The director came in and moved up the reveal to about half way through the movie, he said that by hiring a movie star, the cat was out of the bag anyways. I did notice that they only called him Ted for about the first 45 min, thought it was interesting. I think with a different title, they could've kept it hidden longer.