Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fast & Furious Female Spinoff -- News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 11:54 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

The female Fast & Furious spinoff now has a trio of female writers according to franchise star Vin Diesel. Universal kicked off the street racing franchise back in 2001, but the series has grown tremendously over the last several films. The action and thrills became the center piece of these blockbusters, which thrive on a diverse cast and its familial themes. Through eight movies, Fast & Furious is a $5 billion series at the box office, with the last two each topping $1.2 billion on their own.

This success has only bolstered Universal's interest in this world and finding as many ways as possible to continue it. Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham are set to star in the first spinoff Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw later this year, while movement on Fast & Furious 9 continues. There's also plans for Fast & Furious 10 and additional spinoffs have been teased by Diesel in the past. One in particular would center around the female characters of the franchise, a project that became a bigger focus after Michelle Rodriguez spoke out on the lacking roles the franchise has had for women.
advertising

Thanks to Diesel's latest Instagram post, the female-led Fast & Furious spinoff just took a major step forward. Diesel posted a photo of himself with his sister and franchise producer Samantha Vincent, which he used as an opportunity to share with Fast & Furious fans that three female writers have been brought into the family to write the spinoff. He announced that writers Nicole Perlman, Lindsey Beer, and Geneva Robertson-Dworet are involved, presumably as the film's co-writers.

Perlman came from Marvel Studios' writers program, and had a hand in creating the original scripts for Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain Marvel. She also recently wrote the screenplay for Detective Pikachu. Beer's only released feature work is for Netflix's Sierra Burgess Is A Loser, but she's become a go-to writer in Hollywood, and is currently attached to Sam Raimi's The Kingkiller Chronicle, as well as the upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot. Robertson-Dworet also worked on Captain Marvel's script to do some rewrites before production began, but previously wrote last year's Tomb Raider. All three were also part of Hasbro's writers room for their shared universe, so this will not be the first time they'll be working together.
advertising

Now that this female spinoff has writers, it now becomes a project fans will need to keep their eyes on to see how it develops. The script should take a few months to write, and Universal may ultimately decide to not officially announce anything until they see how Hobbs & Shaw performs first. If they're happy with the script and the spinoffs become financially viable, then this project could pick up even more steam later this year.

Should this movie actually happen, there could be a nice collection of talent available for the franchise to assemble. Rodriguez will likely be featured again as Letty in some capacity, and it also wouldn't be too surprising if Jordana Brewster returned as Mia. This could also be an opportunity to bring back Eva Mendes. Plus, since there's no details on the plot of the spinoff, there's an outside chance Gal Gadot could return if it's a prequel. Other possible cast members are Nathalie Emmanuel as Ramsey or Hobbs & Shaw's new additions Vanessa Kirby and Eiza Gonzalez. However it shakes out, there's a lot of possibilities for this new Fast & Furious spinoff.
https://screenrant.com/fast-furious-...inoff-writers/
Old 02-05-20, 08:26 AM

Re: Fast & Furious Female Spinoff -- News, rumors, etc.

In an interview with MTV International last month, Diesel and company spoke about the upcoming F9 as well as future plans for the franchise. Fast & Furious 10 is set to be the last in The Fast Saga; this has many wondering where the franchise goes next. When asked about this, Diesel said, “I’ve created a female spinoff, and that script comes in next month. So we will see." It’s unclear who exactly the female-centric entry will feature.
https://screenrant.com/fast-furious-...diesel-script/
Old 02-05-20, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

I'd be happy if it goes in the same direction as Hobbs & Shaw (although cut like, 30-45min from the runtime). I loved that they finally dropped any conceit of reality and just became a Saturday Morning Cartoon in that one.
Old 02-05-20, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Set it in the future, make Charlize Theron the star, set up a licensing deal with Warner that allows for a surprise character revelation, and voila: FAST & FURIOSA!
Old 02-05-20, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Now they can resurrect the dead in Gisele and Elena!
Old 02-05-20, 11:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Since the original franchise had men with women in it, I guess they'll do a reverse and have this be women with men in it? Spectacular!
Old 05-22-23, 12:22 PM

I guess this is still in the works...

Regardless of the "SAGA" ending it doesn't seem like the franchise will be dead...
Vin Diesel says spinoffs of the “Fast & Furious” franchise are already in the works, including a female-led installment. “I started developing the female spinoff…in 2017 with other spinoffs, and the sooner I deliver the finale, the sooner I can launch all the spinoffs,” he told me Saturday at the Charlize Theron Africa Outreach Project (CTAOP) Block Party.

Rodriguez isn’t sure she’ll sign up for spinoffs. “You pass the baton on. You take the back seat,” she said. “You go passenger side. When it comes the next generation, you have to. It’s the only way to let them define the future.”
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/f...ie-1235621300/