DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What '80s/'90s movie franchise just needs to call it quits already? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/646528-what-80s-90s-movie-franchise-just-needs-call-quits-already.html)

The Antipodean 01-21-19 05:06 PM

What '80s/'90s movie franchise just needs to call it quits already?

The latest (yawwwwn) announcement of a Ghostbusters revival got me thinking of all the endless attempts to sequelize and reboot and so forth various franchises of the '80s, '90s and beyond. Which one of these endless continuations are you the least excited/most sick of hearing about, and why? (I'm not including Star Wars/Star Trek/James Bond in the poll but if you want to mention them, go for it)

PhantomStranger 01-21-19 05:16 PM

Re: What '80s/'90s movie franchise just needs to call it quits already?

I can't believe Star Wars wasn't listed as an option.

stvn1974 01-21-19 05:22 PM

Where is the "all of the above" option?

Drexl 01-21-19 05:28 PM

Die Hard.

brayzie 01-21-19 05:31 PM

The Terminator because it only produced two good movies.
Alien is arguably a very strong trilogy.

They both feel very dated compared to modern movies. It's weird that a movie about a movie series about future like Terminator is, being so reliant on 80s/early 90s nostalgia.

Alien felt like a good horror movie with some intelligent SF elements. Aliens was an emotional action film, one of the best. And for it's time, it had some nice world building when that wasn't common yet. Alien 3, although extremely depressing, was very daring. There was nothing cheesy about it.
Then came Alien: Resurrection which felt like a b-movie. That feeling continued with the AvP series. Prometheus had awesome effects but written like a b-movie. Alien: Covenant continued that trend with the writing.

I've only seen the first two Predator films. First one is a classic. Second one is kind of comic booky, but it kind of works. I've heard good things about the other two.

The Cow 01-21-19 05:47 PM

I'm fine if they all live on.

OldBoy 01-21-19 05:48 PM

i'm gonna say Halloween. the last was a perfect sendoff and i really don't need anymore sequels, reboots, what have you. let this one rest in peace with the final curtain call for Michael and Laurie.

Toddarino 01-21-19 05:50 PM

I’ll admit I own and watch every entry in all these franchises. With the exception of 2016 Ghostbusters. I’ll reserve judgment until seeing the new Terminator, but I’m gonna guess that’s my answer along with the Alien saga. Like Alien, there’s two great films. The first and second ones. The last ones though just really ruined a lot of the mythology.

DJariya 01-21-19 05:55 PM

I think we don't have to worry about anymore Predator movies. The last one being a financial flop and with Disney taking over, I doubt they want to sink anymore money in that dead franchise. Same goes with Alien and I don't think any Alien movies are in active development either.

I'll reserve judgment on Terminator until I see the upcoming movie. I'm sort of optimistic since Cameron has some involvement with it and they got the director of Deadpool.

Draven 01-21-19 07:09 PM

It’s time for all of them to wrap up. Jurassic World was the only recent one worth anything and Fallen Kingdom pretty much ruined it.

Hazel Motes 01-21-19 07:40 PM

all of them. and countless others not listed.

HE Pennypacker 01-21-19 07:48 PM

All - and comic book movies too. Doesn't look like there is any end in sight for the comic book movies.

Mabuse 01-21-19 07:52 PM

Every Jurassic Park sequel has sucked.

And Die Hard needs to stop.

Abob Teff 01-21-19 07:57 PM

I am fine with any of these franchises continuing IF they can do so through quality movies. (Which is not likely.)

Sadly, I will nominate Indiana Jones. I will happily continue watching the franchise if they recast and do it well. However, I have no desire to see Harrison Ford in any Indiana Jones movie that was not made in the 1980s.

Shannon Nutt 01-22-19 06:14 AM

Well, Rambo IS ending...I doubt they ever re-boot that one. Like most of you, I voted for Predator - that should have never been more than a one-off. It's not the kind of monster/alien that lends itself to good sequels (you tend to just repeat yourself).

Alien is a close second, but that's Ridley's fault - he had a chance to get it back on track and failed miserably - twice!

I still have hopes for Ghostbusters and Terminator, as the next movie(s) in both those franchises seem promising.

Jurassic Park (obviously) still has a lot of mileage left in the tank.

Goonies85 01-22-19 10:03 AM

Unless they somehow managed to convince Bill Murray to get involved in a prominent role, I'd say they should stop with the Ghostbusters franchise.

Despite The Predator being a pretty horrible movie, I think if they find the right talent (surprised that Shane Black wasn't that) then I think they could breathe more life into the franchise.

The last two Alien movies by Ridley Scott were horrible, and I don't intend to watch any more sequels he directs. That said, if they went back to that idea of having the guy that made District 9 direct a movie that acts as a direct sequel to Aliens, in which Newt and Michael Biehn's characters are still in it, I would definitely watch that (even though the last movie of his I saw, Chappie, wasn't very good).

Terminator I'm still interested in, despite hating the last three movies, if only because (as someone already mentioned), James Cameron's involvement, plus the return of Linda Hamilton.

I completely agree that the Indiana Jones movies need to end. The last one was just atrocious, and Ford is just getting too old (and I don't want them to hand it down to a younger actor, although I'm sure that's what they'll do; there's simply too much money involved).

No one mentioned it yet, and it's not in the poll, but I think that I'm okay with the Friday the 13th franchise continuing. While there's several horrible movies in the series (including the last one), I consider several of them guilty pleasures. I know once or twice a year they announce how they're coming up with a new script, so hopefully they find some good talent to put behind the camera.

I thought the recent Halloween movie was decent, albeit not as good as I had expected, given it was directed by David Gordon Green. But like someone else said, not sure where else they could go with the franchise. I'm sure they'll just relaunch it again in a few years, with new actors and it'll just be a rehash of the original film (and hopefully not as brutal as Rob Zombie's version sometimes was...although I still found the odd thing to like in Zombie's versions).

I'd still look forward to another Beverly Hills Cop movie, but only if Eddie Murphy dropped his juvenile schtick and agreed to make it an R-rated movie. I would definitely check that out. I still actually like the third one in the trilogy...And I'd also want Judge Reinhold to come back...

Haven't heard many rumours about another Lethal Weapon movie in quite some time, but if they found the right director (Richard Donner is probably too old at this point) and agreed to make it R-rated, I'd actually be interested in this. They'd have to come up with a unique plot, cause obviously they'd both be retired at this point, but I enjoyed the interaction between Gibson and Glover enough that I'd actually look forward to this...

Agreed on Die Hard. Didn't watch the last one, but the one before that with Justin Long was terrible. And it's just ridiculous how often John McClane finds himself in these situations. I know by saying that I should still question my love for Parts II and III, but for whatever reason I think those movies still work, and they work quite well. Plus, Bruce Willis is just aging too much to keep these movies interesting, and I don't want to see them hand this franchise off to a younger actor...

I'm okay with Child's Play continuing, as the last two movies were surprisingly good...

I understand the Jurassic Park movies are going to continue regardless, but I hated the last two films...

Those are my thoughts on franchises from the '80s/'90s....

ddrknghtrtns 01-22-19 11:40 AM

I would like to see a sequel where the Aliens have infested earth and 99% of the population dead. While the rest of humanity in an underground facility, race against total extinction to launch three space arcs.

inri222 01-22-19 12:36 PM

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/Complicate...restricted.gif

melasnus 01-22-19 01:06 PM

Rambo, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and Die Hard...all need to be buried.

Giantrobo 01-22-19 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 13485447)
I'm fine if they all live on.

Pretty Much. Don't wanna see it...don't. Your childhood memory of the film franchise should still be safe if you're an emotionally healthy individual.

Noonan 01-22-19 01:33 PM

All on the list unless someone plans to make a watchable Alien movie again. Otherwise, let it die with the rest.

Alan Smithee 01-22-19 05:25 PM

Friday the 13th. It should have actually ended with “The Final Chapter”.

Count Dooku 01-22-19 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 13485427)
Where is the "all of the above" option?

:up:

Goonies85 01-22-19 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 13486254)
Friday the 13th. It should have actually ended with “The Final Chapter”.

I know I've said it before, but Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan is actually an awesome and incredibly underrated movie. I probably pop that one in once a month and am always entertained. It's probably one of those movies so many people think is "so bad it's good", but I thoroughly enjoy it...The acting may be cheesy, but I love the atmosphere (and I realize most of it was filmed in Vancouver, as they only filmed a few days in New York)...But, yes, I also loved The Final Chapter...Didn't really care for Parts V-VII...

Mike86 01-22-19 09:15 PM

I like most of the franchises listed in this thread to varying degrees. They’ve all got their share of duds, but I still enjoy most of them.